Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2012, 04:23 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Katy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
I'm not saying you shouldn't get the ProPride, but definitely have a look at your tires and their inflation pressure first or in addition.

DKB
We checked all eight tires (four on TT and four on TV) before our trip. They were perfect. I don't know if I have the E-rated ones, though. I'll look when I get home.
zeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:25 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeppelin View Post
I'm about halfway through reading the 71 five-star reviews on ProPride's website, and I'm afraid I might buy one before the day is over.
If you have questions, call Sean at Propride. His knowledge and willingness to share it is exemplary. I bought a used Hensley and he has been most helpful even though it is a competitive product.

For that reason alone, let alone the fact that his design is just evolutionarily better, I will buy from him next time. Quality folk.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:58 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Thumbs up Quote of the day

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Getting a large truck just for towing would be unnecessary and your handling issues are not completely solved, only hidden until you must make a quick maneuver.doug k
This blurb from Doug gets my vote for...... "Quote of the day".
Old 12-06-2012, 05:21 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Kanata , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Zeppelin,

What you really need is a minivan with a V6 engine....that's what all the Canadians say is THE best!

The minivan works great for hauling the sled dogs in the summer...they like to camp to!

Seriously...if you have not already checked out the ProPride thread, it's good reading as well especially if you get to the point of installation.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ide-57179.html
MaxTow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:32 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Katy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTow View Post
The minivan works great for hauling the sled dogs in the summer...they like to camp to!

Seriously...if you have not already checked out the ProPride thread, it's good reading as well especially if you get to the point of installation.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ide-57179.html
I haven't seen this thread. Thank you.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:57 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
Mercer Island , Washington
I tow (only a couple of times) with a similar set up to you.
07 Tahoe 5.3 LTZ with Autoride
73 29' Ambassador

Here's what I've done to make it decent (freeway and moderate hills)

1. Air up the rear tires! You're probably driving around on 32lbs of pressure, your rear tires should probably be inflated close to max pressure if you're dropping 500 extra lbs on the axle
2. adjust your WD hitch properly (and if you have autoleveling like me, there are specific steps to follow). you want to move weight forward, but not so far that you unload the tongue of the trailer. lots of articles/advice on here for how to do this
3. Don't exceed 62 MPH. YOur tires aren't rated for it on the AS. I found I was going 65 a few times
4. While being mindful of your GVW, consider making sure there is some tongue weight in your AS. I run with the propane bottles partially to totally full and with the freshwater tank full to throw a few hundred lbs forward of the trailer axles

I didn't have any sway/fishtail on my adventure and I don't have any sway control (just WD). I was passed by semi's etc a bunch of time oncoming and in my direction of travel and would feel them, but not feel sway.

I would second the notion to investigate a good hitch, I don't have anything great, but there are several PPP, Hensley, or the new $500 Anderson that people here swear by. If I start seeing sway, that will be my first stop before I buy antoher $50K vehicle.

Best of luck! i'm pretty new to this stuff too, but these things worked for me.

Also, make sur eyou are in "tow/haul mode" and take it out of overdrive. I lost a couple MPG, but it was a lot easier on the engine/tranny.
dcheshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:42 PM   #27
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
No fancy WD system is going to change dropping down to 45 mph in the Hill Country. It is hills not mountains. Your vehicle is too weak for the weight you are towing(as you already know and are looking for confirmation of).
You talked about it swaying at higher speeds. That is because you have too much tongue weight. Adjusting the WD system you do have, is only going to marginally help that. This might sound counter, but, put some water in the tank and it will sway less.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:52 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Hiawassee , Georgia
I've got to agree with Frank. I know you're trying to make all the right compromises between a commuter and a TV but it all comes down to weight. Your TV is rated right at the weight of your trailer. As much as we try to lighten the load and pack sparingly they all gain weight. I think you can make a lot of progress with hitch adjustment or even a new hitch but in the end, if you want a bullet proof combo, you have to go with weight and power in a TV.
Pepthedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:01 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
I tow a 2013 25FB International with a GVW of 7,300 pounds with a 2007 Mercedes ML 320 CDI diesel using a Hensley hitch. There are some folks towing 30' Airstreams with the same vehicle even through the mountains out West.

I would suggest, before buying a bigger vehicle, checking the TV tires and bringing up the pressures to stiffen the sidewalls (perhaps to the maximum value on the sidewall of the tire) when towing. That may solve the squirms. Try that and see if it helps the issue.

I would then consider the Hensley or PP hitch. There are used models of the Hensley from the factory and PP probably has them for their hitch as well. If these do not solve the issue for you, then by all means knock your self out getting a bigger vehicle.

I always trouble shoot from the least expensive alternative upwards to where the real money is at stake. Also, do the test run without the family in the car so there are no other distractions while running your tests.
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:10 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
ANother vote for making sure tire pressures and hitch anti-sway are OK.. We tow a 25' Excella with identical GVWR, though usually with holding tanks empty and fresh water half full. CAT Scale says trailer in that configuration is closer to 6,500 #

We now have 5.4L V8 in Ford Excursion, but previously had mid-90's Suburban 1500.. In both cases, when tow vehicle tires inflated to ~ 55 pounds, trailer would wiggle in the wind and when trucks passed. Inflating tires to 75 pounds cold (including fronts...) solved problem, along with sway bar (friction type..) to go with hitch.. If tires in Tahoe are under 70 psi, it is going to wobble at freeway speeds when towing, especially if hitch isn't helping..

All that notwithstanding, the new Suburban 2500's are sure nice....

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:14 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
re. the tires. Your Tahoe probably came with regular P metric tires. The previous post recommending P metrics with an XL designation is correct, IMO. That will give you some extra capacity and arguably, a better handling trailer lashup.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 12-06-2012, 07:18 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
More about the tires....increase the pressure in the rear tires only. If you increase the pressure in your front tires, it will make the steering seem faster and can actually contribute to the sway. The rear axle is the one carrying the extra load and the end of the tow vehicle the trailer is trying to "steer".
Old 12-06-2012, 07:26 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Search for Moosetags posts

Hello,

I'm still in the "still looking" category, but leaning toward a 25' AS with a Tahoe/Yukon tow vehicle, so I'll be following this thread with interest.

One of the frequent posters here is "moosetags". As I recall their posts, they started towing their 25' AS with a Tahoe, and upgraded to a 3/4 ton Suburban. One of their threads is http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...hoe-63081.html

They said
As to your Tahoe question, we have towed our 2005 25FB (7400#) with our 2004 Chevrolet Tahoe (5.3/3.73), and found it just OK. We use a Hensley Arrow hitch system, and did not experience any sway or instability problems. The downside to the Tahoe was its lack of guts. During the same period, we also towed the Airstream with our 2005 Suburban 2500 (6.0/3.73). The Tahoe was weak in the power department. The Tahoe was a doable tow vehicle, but we do so much traveling (50,000 miles in three years) that we want more than the Tahoe could provide.

Good Luck and have fun with that Airstream!
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:54 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

Katy , Texas
I just looked at our Michelin LTX M/S tires. I'm having a hard time figuring out the load rating, but I kinda doubt they are D or E-rated. They say you can inflate up to 44psi. Also, I found them on Sam's Club's website and it says "max load: 2305@44psi."
Old 12-06-2012, 08:25 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
We checked all eight tires (four on TT and four on TV) before our trip. They were perfect. I don't know if I have the E-rated ones, though. I'll look when I get home.
Please define perfect.

Does that mean 32psi like the door says?
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:34 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

Katy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
Please define perfect.

Does that mean 32psi like the door says?
Good point....
Old 12-06-2012, 08:47 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
I just looked at our Michelin LTX M/S tires. I'm having a hard time figuring out the load rating, but I kinda doubt they are D or E-rated. They say you can inflate up to 44psi. Also, I found them on Sam's Club's website and it says "max load: 2305@44psi."
Then you need to run 44 pounds pressure, COLD, in the rear tires when towing. Leave the front at what the door says.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:55 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Missoula , Montana
You've got so much info here, your head must be swimming! But, a lot of this ground has been plowed before and the search feature here will give you tons of information. The difference between what you have and the 2500 can change with rear differentials, tire pressures, weight distribution to front and rear axles of the TV, and then comparing 4 speed and 6 speeds - plus tow packages, and... and.... And, THEN you've opened the "load range-Michelin tires" Pandora's box! (The next layer of that is 15" or 16" wheels!) ALL of these topics have many threads on the forum!

I've learned a lot from the wonderful experts on this forum, and the biggest thing I've learned since we bought our Airstream is that, at the beginning -- I didn't know what I "didn't know!"

I will add only this, to what many have already said -- it seems like your hitch/hitch set-up is a key component to all the issues that you've mentioned thus far. If your hitch set-up is the culprit, you can set it up the same way on a new 2500 and head down the road up-and-down the Texas hill country and have enough "guts" and still end up feeling sway with the semis passing you on the interstate or coming at you on a two-lane. The set-up is for each different TV and there is a lot to it. You might try to get it "right" for your Tahoe, then go shopping for that perfect TV - but you'd still have to set it up all over again for the new rig.

Good luck!
OilnH2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:49 AM   #39
2 Rivet Member

Katy , Texas
Ok. I'm onboard with buying a better hitch and properly rated tires. I still feel like I'm not totally clear on all the issues surrounding tongue weight and balancing your load, but possibly I can address those once I have a better setup.

I lean towards not messing too much with my current hitch, because frankly, I don't enjoy the noise created by the friction it uses to work.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:15 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
A minimum of 10% of the total trailer weight should be represented in tongue weight......12 - 15% is better. I like 12%.

Use the search function (the google one) in the blue bar above, and search on "scales", "weighing your trailer", weight distribution, etc. There is a wealth of info already here on the forum.