Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-03-2019, 10:38 AM   #61
2 Rivet Member

Poulsbo , Washington
Reliability plus grunt

We own a Land Rover 2002 Disco with only 5,000 lbs of pulling power --- totally inadequate on hills. We own a 2005 Land Rover LR3 with 7700 lbs of pulling power and adequate torque but inadequate hitch capacity, and four air-filled suspension bladders that sooner or later will individually fail on a Utah uplands back road. The LR3 can handle a fully loaded 25' FC FB going up and down hills, but only to a point. Great cruiser for the family. But overall reliability, forget it.

So we specced out a 2012 GMC Yukon Denali with 8200 pounds towing and 400+ torque. 6.2L engine, great track record for reliability. The "wee beastie" is as fat as a pickup, with big mirrors, has a full tow package and computerized antI sway software - they built it to tow from the start. 60,000 miles on the odometer and $23,500 out the door.

Avoid the 2015 - new body, new engine, lousy reliability record. 2016 is good but also $20,000 more than the 2012. Did I mention I have only owned one pickup in my life, but five SUV's and a converted cargo van that worked well to a point?
I like the European cars but went with GMC for the package.
HappyNomads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 11:08 AM   #62
cmipilot

1975 27' Overlander
Flower Mound , Texas
Too much truck?

I have always felt the same as the described 90 year old about towing capability. I'm not 90, but I'm getting there. More quickly than I'd like to admit. And, I've towed everything from my Airstream to 53' semi trailers during the years. I don't ever recall, as I descended a 7% grade, thinking to myself, "gee, I wish I had a lighter truck." Gas mileage doesn't mean crap when you're on the verge of losing your brakes headed down a mountain.
cmipilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 11:14 AM   #63
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Traverse City , Michigan
We have a 30’ Classic and tow with a GMC Sierra Denali 3/4 ton gas with tow package. Gas is far less to maintain than a diesel. Granted we don’t race up mountains but it pulls just fine. The bed with a soft cover is secure for carrying lots of “stuff” you need - everything from a compressor to extra shoes, paper products, chairs etc.
Old 02-03-2019, 11:26 AM   #64
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Belleville , Illinois
After doing your due diligence on initial investment cost, resale, maintenance and every other consideration there are 5 inescapable reasons I tow with a 3/4 ton 4x4 diesel with a tow package.
1. 4x4 gets you out of an unintentional jam, including loose gravel and snow;
2. The 3/4 ton configuration means more payload which is very important and often underrated compared with towing capacity.
3. The towing package minimizes sway has enhanced electrical, larger battery and alternator, sturdier frame, big hitch design and obviates the need to check the trailer lights since that can be done from the cab.
4.Diesel fueling a big rig ( my 30’ AS classic and F 250 have a LOA of 52’) is easy at truck stops since I can use the truck lanes which do not offer gasoline. I just finished a 1600 mile trip and fueled quickly with no need to detach which would have been insufferable.
5.The exhaust brake alleviated white knuckles, made downhill handling a breeze and saves on brake pads and overheating.

I ended up buying a Ford because of the above and external push push button locks making it impossible to lock myself out of the truck.
Presitla99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 11:32 AM   #65
1 Rivet Member

Cary , NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnsapp View Post
A TWO WHEEL DRIVE TRUCK WILL OUT TOW A FOUR WHEEL DRIVE TRUCK.
Not on the beach
VintageLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 11:35 AM   #66
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' International
Morgan Hill , California
The next question with no answer.....

What's the best oil?
kbmwrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 11:43 AM   #67
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Presitla99 View Post
4.Diesel fueling a big rig ( my 30’ AS classic and F 250 have a LOA of 52’) is easy at truck stops since I can use the truck lanes which do not offer gasoline. I just finished a 1600 mile trip and fueled quickly with no need to detach which would have been insufferable.
Using trucks stops only is an "advantage"?

Unhitch to get gas? Who does that?
pteck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 11:51 AM   #68
Land of Oz

1970 25' Tradewind
Pittsfield Twp , Michigan
Favorite tow vehicle

We've towed our 1979 25ft. Land yacht for years with our grand Cherokee's (on 3rd one now).
The previous ones had the 4.7 v8 treated at 6500 lbs and did a decent job, but it current model is the Loredo X with the 5.7 Hemi rated at 7200 lbs and is very impressive for stability and power. Bonus is this model has tradition coil springs so no air bag maintenance concerns, but all the other bells and whistles.
Our camper weighs in at about 5500 lbs with a tongue weight of 600.
When not towing it's my wife's daily driver, comfortable and not to big around town.
Side note, the progressive brake controller is the only way to go if you need to purchase a new one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180528_160353006.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	495.9 KB
ID:	332889  
wizardglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 11:53 AM   #69
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Camas , Washington
2002 Range Rover pulling 23FB, pulls like a dream, 11 MPG, on road/off road and looks great doing it
Dick tracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 12:04 PM   #70
4 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mount Angel , Oregon
My Gettin' Old Thoughts....

Things I didn't consider:

I get tired of crawling in / out of our F-350 Beast and catch myself thinking " ugh! Do I want to climb out and in just for this ?" Pathetic, but true!

The F-350 is overkill for our 25' trailer and eliminates driving anxiety. However, something smaller and more sprightly is a lot more appealing for once the trailer is unhitched, allowing for much more pleasant exploration.

I was surprised at how many little SUV drivers were aggressive towards our PU when driving through National Parks. If I could read their minds :
" You aren't going to stop me, you Big SOB". This happened regardless of how much we politely attempted to share the road, pull over, etc. Those little SUV's often put themselves into dangerously aggressive risks. Made me sad.

Susan ( I do most all of the driving)
duncans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 12:20 PM   #71
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
F150 ecoboost for your application would be the best IMHO.
I get 13-15 mpg pulling a 22 sport.
Kanusport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 12:51 PM   #72
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Destin , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.Bracero View Post
Thanks so much Pat!!!! I was going to get rid of my Audi Allroad and get a Cayenne as it is rated for towing 7k and I've seen guys out there towing a 23' with it. Then I'm told that many wouldn't dare take it onto dirt as it wouldn't last taking it to camp sites...
So that brings me to a pickup as I don't want to be limited if we want to go to back country campsites.
Wife has an XC90 and that can't tow much of anything. As long as the truck is a nice ride, I don't think I would mind it as a daily driver.

Of course I live in LA and sitting in traffic will suck. I do also like technology and luxury and that's what led me to Airstream.

I've heard so many good things about the Ford F150 Rousch or the 250 then also the Raptor. Many have said get a Ram as the interior is best with the large touch screen and the ride is better.

So yeah I'm torn and looking to you real life professionals on which direction to head.

Thanks so much!!!!!

Rob
Be careful who you listen to. Tow vehicle commentary is plagued with people espousing their opinions as facts and commenting on something they don't have first hand experience with. I have a 2012 Cayenne and plan to tow with it. From all the research that I have done, everyone who has towed with it says it is a great tow vehicle and superior to others they have used. Never heard or read any complaints about durability. My personal opinion is that it is the most solid and best driving car that I have ever owned. The diesel (240 hp and 406 ft-lbs) is popular. I would tow with the S (400 HP and 369 ft-lbs) or Turbo (500 HP and 516 ft-lbs) based on superior performance when not towing. All are relatively inexpensive for a 4-5 year old car especially compared to a new truck. Of course...price of maintenance will be higher. The 7,700 lbs tow capacity is impressive and properly outfitted with a suitable WD hitch will be an ideal TV for us. That being said, requires attention to setup as well as vehicle loading to ensure max payload is not exceeded.

Check this video out

Good luck!
T2plt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 01:15 PM   #73
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Oh, you can listen to us. This picture is a few days after running the 550 from Montrose to Durango. The million dollar highway is a great drive with the right rig. But the right rig is different for different folks. There is no one answer. Whatever you do, tune the rig lashup for best towing performance. Pat
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	deer.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	461.3 KB
ID:	332900  
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 02:31 PM   #74
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Destin , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
Oh, you can listen to us. This picture is a few days after running the 550 from Montrose to Durango. The million dollar highway is a great drive with the right rig. But the right rig is different for different folks. There is no one answer. Whatever you do, tune the rig lashup for best towing performance. Pat
Wow! That is awesome!
T2plt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 02:42 PM   #75
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Living in California, one thing you may want to consider.
All trucks are considered commercial, and charged weight fees even if never used commercially. Buying an SUV avoids this California ripoff.
The other way to avoid annual weight fees is to buy a 1/2 ton pickup (larger trucks do it qualify) and install a Snugtop or such, and a bed rug. Then, if not used commercially, it can be licensed as a passenger car like a Suburban. This is a little known fact. Can be done at AAA or DMV.
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 02:56 PM   #76
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanusport View Post
F150 ecoboost for your application would be the best IMHO.
I get 13-15 mpg pulling a 22 sport.
I pulled 2 25's with my F150 6cyl Echoboost over 6 years, before moving up to the 28 and a larger F250 6.7L... The 3.6EB is a great match for 23-25'...great all around TV and city driver...yes, it won't hold 8 people like some need to do, but if you spec the payload properly, you will likely be very happy with what you can bring along, handling, ride, utility, etc...
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 02:57 PM   #77
2 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Lake Elsinore , California
I have a good friend that has a 25FB AS like the original poster is considering. His wife was tired of having to maneuver their Chevy 2500 pickup around town as their daily driver as well as the TV. They did extensive research and ended up with a 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT at a big discount at the end of the 2018 model year and rave about how well it tows the AS besides being a much better daily driver. He said it has 475 hp and 470 lb/ft of torque from the hemi V8, and pulls the AS effortly anywhere they have gone. Has 7200 lb factory tow package, excellent 4X4 capability to explore when they boondock, huge Brembo brakes to bring everything to a quick halt, great maneuverability in camp, and all the luxury amenities and electronic nannies you would ever want. Might be a good choice for those who don't want to drive a big pickup around as a grocery getter when not towing.
safaridave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 03:11 PM   #78
geo
2 Rivet Member

2019 23' International
Vancouver , British Columbia
We preferred having an SUV as our towing vehicle over a pick-up, so I did lots of research before deciding on a Toyota Sequoia. It rides and handles great, the V8 engine provides 7100# of towing capacity, and it does a fine job towing our International Signature 23FB up hills. I’ve observed an average of 13.5 MPG while towing, which makes this one of the most efficient TV’s in its class. And I like having more secured storage in the back of the car.

As previously mentioned, it’s a good idea to first choose the trailer prior to buying a TV, as we did, to ensure you have plenty of towing capacity.
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 04:53 PM   #79
2 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
We like our 2014 Ford Expedition w/ tow package. Pulls a 20-25' trailer with ease. Max tow weight up to 9200 lbs. Prefer the SUV 'cause it makes a nice around town vehicle AND fits in our small garage.

The Denali is good, but our 3rd row seats fold down flat with touch of a button.
Rollinstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 08:34 AM   #80
2 Rivet Member

Waco , Texas
Best Tow Vehicle?

I can only speak from personal experience but we've towed a couple of different trailers with our 2014 F-150 S'Crew 4 x 2, 5.0L, first a 2008 20' Jayco and now a 2017 25' FC FB for a couple of years now.

The Jayco was tough going over about 65 mph with the big, square front pushing all that air; in fact, the Ford Towing Guide suggests the frontal area not exceed 60 s/f. Used to despair that the mileage was only about 9 mpg...

With the FC, mileage into a headwind is about 10 mpg at the worst and generally around 12+ on level roads fully loaded in 5th with drops to 4th going up steeper rises. I gripe about the assembly issues sometimes but the towing ease more than makes up for the minor problems we've had!

Diesels are great but have heard from a couple of sources "IF you can get to the 150,000 mark, you'll break even on the cost + fuel + maintenance vs a conventional gas engine." I've always done my own maintenance and no doubt if you're able to do that with a diesel, you'll recoup the $8K upcharge a lot sooner. I LIKE diesels but $1.79 gas vs $2.49 diesel for an estimated savings of $20 per 1000 miles traveled (11 mpg vs 17 mpg) won't sway me just yet.

We might consider an F-250 for the next TV but for us anyway, something that only tows 5% - 10% of the time like most of us makes the other end of the equation sorta rough on the butt and budget. But we'll probably make a more informed decision after we do the Texas-to Iowa-Texas trip a time or two!
emelaich is offline   Reply With Quote