Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2020, 03:38 PM   #141
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Disregard all the advice you'll get from those who think their TV is the best.
<snip>
Also, being a daily driver, you might eliminate a 3/4 or 1 ton truck just because you need to get in and out, and park in a normal space.
There is no perfect TV. No perfect brand, no perfect size. It's really preference. All brands have issues. My brother-in-law got rid of his Toyota because of all the issues he was having. I drive by one of the Ford dealerships and every morning 70-80% of the vehicles waiting in their service line are trucks, my old 2015 Chevy never gave me a lick of issues, but my new 2020 is just the opposite.

As far as daily drivers go, maybe it's because I'm comfortable in the ¾ ton truck, but I have no issues using it as a daily driver. It is large and depending on where you are located it's not so large that it won't fit in a parking space (unless you got the 8ft bed along with the crew cab). It's really all down to personal preference. To be fair, I tend not to drive the truck as a daily driver, but then I have two different motorcycles and a plug-in electric hybrid that see the most use. But if I need to pick up something and need the bed, I have no issues using it in my cross-town jaunt to work (and I have to drive right through the heart of the city). But it's all preference.
wbrisett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 08:57 AM   #142
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrisett View Post
There is no perfect TV. No perfect brand, no perfect size. It's really preference. All brands have issues. My brother-in-law got rid of his Toyota because of all the issues he was having. I drive by one of the Ford dealerships and every morning 70-80% of the vehicles waiting in their service line are trucks, my old 2015 Chevy never gave me a lick of issues, but my new 2020 is just the opposite.

As far as daily drivers go, maybe it's because I'm comfortable in the ¾ ton truck, but I have no issues using it as a daily driver. It is large and depending on where you are located it's not so large that it won't fit in a parking space (unless you got the 8ft bed along with the crew cab). It's really all down to personal preference. To be fair, I tend not to drive the truck as a daily driver, but then I have two different motorcycles and a plug-in electric hybrid that see the most use. But if I need to pick up something and need the bed, I have no issues using it in my cross-town jaunt to work (and I have to drive right through the heart of the city). But it's all preference.
Have you considered the reason you see so many Ford trucks in line for service "just might be", because they are the number one brand of truck and lots of people own them and they are in there for oil change/service?? (this is especially true here in TX)
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 06:33 AM   #143
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Have you considered the reason you see so many Ford trucks in line for service "just might be", because they are the number one brand of truck and lots of people own them and they are in there for oil change/service?? (this is especially true here in TX)
I was thinking the exact same thing.
I take my truck to the dealer for regular service.
We regularly push our Ford service trucks 200k miles. without and problems .The V10 engines we ran for 300k. 30 years ago we dumped the Rams
and GMC trucks and never looked back.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 07:27 AM   #144
3 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Sharon Springs , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
My take away from this anecdote is that when he started towing 50+ years ago his TV likely had drum brakes and his rationale might have been valid. Today, most TVs, including SUVs have great disc brakes all around, thus the old reasoning is no longer valid.
IMHO, maybe under ideal conditions.
I have been towing for 30 yrs + myself and have used the same logic as the 90 yr old, maybe that is why he has lived into his nineties. Never underestimate experience!! Unfortunately, there are many that view AS as a status symbol and pick their TV accordingly(such as the OP, it appears). If your life or the lives of those around you mean anything, then emergency stopping your rig needs to be factored in as well as towing capabilities. Good luck and safe travels!! RLTW, Jim
MAJORJDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 09:20 AM   #145
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Trucks Take Farther To Stop Than SUVs!

Quote:
My take away from this anecdote is that when he started towing 50+ years ago his TV likely had drum brakes and his rationale might have been valid. Today, most TVs, including SUVs have great disc brakes all around, thus the old reasoning is no longer valid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAJORJDB View Post
IMHO, maybe under ideal conditions.
I have been towing for 30 yrs + myself and have used the same logic as the 90 yr old, maybe that is why he has lived into his nineties. Never underestimate experience!! Unfortunately, there are many that view AS as a status symbol and pick their TV accordingly(such as the OP, it appears). If your life or the lives of those around you mean anything, then emergency stopping your rig needs to be factored in as well as towing capabilities. Good luck and safe travels!! RLTW, Jim
Breaking News - According to Issac Newton "Trucks Take Farther To Stop Than SUVs!"

Sorry for the long rebuttal post and no offence to advocates of large trucks who need the large payload, but I am always surprised so many truck owners also think that it is 'logical' that a big truck provides an extra measure of stopping safety. However, the opposite is true.

To me, it is more logical that a lighter object in motion will decelerate faster than a heavier one (everything else being equal.)

Those that say a large trucks is the best tow vehicles for safety and stopping must have missed the high school class that explained Newton’s 2nd Law of Motion with regards to acceleration/deceleration.

- - - -
To paraphrase, Newton's Second Law says:

"deceleration of the tow vehicle = (net force on the tow vehicle) / (tow vehicle's mass)"
- - - -

I think we can all agree that a 3/4 ton truck will weigh more than any suv. For example:

- 2019 Porche Cayenne; mass = 2085 kg / 4597 lbs
- 2019 Ford F350 XLT SD, Super Cab, 8ft box mass = 3284 kg / 7239 lbs

The truck's mass is 1199 kg / 2643 lbs more. (58% higher)

Let’s assume, for the sake of this discussion, that a 3/4 ton truck and the suv have equivalent braking capacity and the ability to apply the same amount of stopping force to the wheels. We can then say that with maximum braking the net stopping force will be the same for both tow vehicles.

Remember, however, applying Newton’s 2nd Law (the affect of mass), if we calculate the resulting deceleration from any given speed the stopping distance will be substantially greater for the 3/4 ton truck. How much greater, in this simple illustration, will only depend on the difference in mass of the two vehicles.

NOTE: All other variables (such as wind, road conditions, etc.) have been assumed to be constant for this discussion.

The stopping distance will only get worse if a person uses all of that extra payload available in the big truck (another 3,075 kg / 6,780 lbs.)

If you are worried that the Airstream brakes may fail and you need to only rely on the tow vehicle brakes it would make more sense to choose the lighter SUV with properly sized brakes. A high performance SUV will have better brakes than a pickup truck because they are engineered to stop the vehicle from much high speeds. (Newton's 2nd Law again.)

From a safety standpoint there are other reasons that a big truck is not ideal, which we won't get into for the purposes of discussing Newton's 2nd law.
Old 01-21-2020, 12:43 PM   #146
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Looking for the best Tow Vehicle

I don’t know what this rig weighs maybe several times the weight of pickups and suv rigs combined but this is an example of stopping power. No skidding.

And what I chose as my tv might not be your choice but it works really well for me.

Yeah I know it’s a semi and not apples to apples but it’s one heck of a bunch of braking power.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 01:59 AM   #147
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Quote:
I would believe that it except my neighbor worked for that dealership for 15 years. The issues I'm having with my current 2020 lead us into a conversation about this. Some of the horror stories he told me tell me otherwise. Bottom line, pick a brand and you'll find somebody who has had nightmares with ownership. The best you can hope for is a Wednesday Car.. https://youtu.be/J0zCO6uScYc
wbrisett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 06:58 AM   #148
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Breaking News - According to Issac Newton "Trucks Take Farther To Stop Than SUVs!"

Sorry for the long rebuttal post and no offence to advocates of large trucks who need the large payload, but I am always surprised so many truck owners also think that it is 'logical' that a big truck provides an extra measure of stopping safety. However, the opposite is true.

To me, it is more logical that a lighter object in motion will decelerate faster than a heavier one (everything else being equal.)

Those that say a large trucks is the best tow vehicles for safety and stopping must have missed the high school class that explained Newton’s 2nd Law of Motion with regards to acceleration/deceleration.

- - - -
To paraphrase, Newton's Second Law says:

"deceleration of the tow vehicle = (net force on the tow vehicle) / (tow vehicle's mass)"
- - - -

I think we can all agree that a 3/4 ton truck will weigh more than any suv. For example:

- 2019 Porche Cayenne; mass = 2085 kg / 4597 lbs
- 2019 Ford F350 XLT SD, Super Cab, 8ft box mass = 3284 kg / 7239 lbs

The truck's mass is 1199 kg / 2643 lbs more. (58% higher)

Let’s assume, for the sake of this discussion, that a 3/4 ton truck and the suv have equivalent braking capacity and the ability to apply the same amount of stopping force to the wheels. We can then say that with maximum braking the net stopping force will be the same for both tow vehicles.

Remember, however, applying Newton’s 2nd Law (the affect of mass), if we calculate the resulting deceleration from any given speed the stopping distance will be substantially greater for the 3/4 ton truck. How much greater, in this simple illustration, will only depend on the difference in mass of the two vehicles.

NOTE: All other variables (such as wind, road conditions, etc.) have been assumed to be constant for this discussion.

The stopping distance will only get worse if a person uses all of that extra payload available in the big truck (another 3,075 kg / 6,780 lbs.)

If you are worried that the Airstream brakes may fail and you need to only rely on the tow vehicle brakes it would make more sense to choose the lighter SUV with properly sized brakes. A high performance SUV will have better brakes than a pickup truck because they are engineered to stop the vehicle from much high speeds. (Newton's 2nd Law again.)

From a safety standpoint there are other reasons that a big truck is not ideal, which we won't get into for the purposes of discussing Newton's 2nd law.
I would argue that the engineers designing the suspension and braking requirements for the 3/4 ton pick up capable of moving and stopping a combined weight of 24,000 lbs are also familiar with Newtons law and take it into consideration .
The braking system of German luxury SUVs are designed more for the high speeds of 120 and 140 mph they are regularly driven than hauling capacity .
At the end of the day there is no substitute for balanced heft front of the trailer for safer overall handling.
Old 01-23-2020, 09:57 AM   #149
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
I would argue that the engineers designing the suspension and braking requirements for the 3/4 ton pick up capable of moving and stopping a combined weight of 24,000 lbs are also familiar with Newtons law and take it into consideration .
The braking system of German luxury SUVs are designed more for the high speeds of 120 and 140 mph they are regularly driven than hauling capacity .
At the end of the day there is no substitute for balanced heft front of the trailer for safer overall handling.
I totally agree!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 01-23-2020, 12:41 PM   #150
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Don't Choose A Pickup Truck For Stopping Distance

Quote:
Quote:
I totally agree!
I'm not clear what you two are trying to say. Is it that you still think that a 3/4 ton pickup truck will stop in a shorter distance than a Porche Cayenne?

There are lots of reasons that a full-sized pickup might be the best tow vehicle for you. However, just be aware that stopping distance is not one of the reasons to pick one.

Stopping distance from 60 mph

2019 Porche Cayenne - 84 ft.

2014 Ford F350 - 147.8 ft.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Truck three-quarter ton stopping-braking.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	359741

Consumer Reports stated in October 2019 that a full-sized pickup truck is the worst of all vehicles tested for stopping distance.
Old 01-23-2020, 05:35 PM   #151
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:

The braking system of German luxury SUVs are designed more for the high speeds of 120 and 140 mph they are regularly driven than hauling capacity
Double the design weight, and the designers need to double the braking power to get the same braking performance. Double the design speed, and the designers need to spec four times the braking power. There is a reason that the vehicle designed for higher speeds, like the Porsche, will stop far better than the vehicle designed for heavier loads, like the one ton pickup, at typical speeds, other things being equal.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 06:07 AM   #152
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
I'm not clear what you two are trying to say. Is it that you still think that a 3/4 ton pickup truck will stop in a shorter distance than a Porche Cayenne?

There are lots of reasons that a full-sized pickup might be the best tow vehicle for you. However, just be aware that stopping distance is not one of the reasons to pick one.

Stopping distance from 60 mph

2019 Porche Cayenne - 84 ft.

2014 Ford F350 - 147.8 ft.

Attachment 359741

Consumer Reports stated in October 2019 that a full-sized pickup truck is the worst of all vehicles tested for stopping distance.
147 feet from 60 mph is not too bad for a large truck. That’s 6 truck lengths following distance. You shouldn’t be following more closely than that at 60mph anyway. If someone gets in that space and brakes hard I would not want to be in that Porsche anyway.

Some of the following distances I see with large trucks and trailers are beyond even the best vehicles’ abilities. If you’re doing that and crash don’t blame the vehicle.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 07:51 AM   #153
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
Double the design weight, and the designers need to double the braking power to get the same braking performance. Double the design speed, and the designers need to spec four times the braking power. There is a reason that the vehicle designed for higher speeds, like the Porsche, will stop far better than the vehicle designed for heavier loads, like the one ton pickup, at typical speeds, other things being equal.
Dude you are beating this subject to death and you still make no sense.
To begin with any common sense person knows better than to pull a trailer at 120 miles per hour.
In 10 years of towing all over creation I never encountered an incident where I needed to stop on a dime.
The last thing I would put front of my 30' classic is a Porshe .
I did have a high speed 70 mph crash avoidance situation and I was sure glad for my F-250 . That trailer was like a rag doll behind it. And the absolute last thing that I would have considered is locking up my wheels. Never touched the brakes during the entire maneuver.
And btw those large brakes in part are needed more for staying cool longer than having to stop a 5500 lbs Cayan.
And all of that depends on less tha 2 sf of rubber touching the road.
Old 01-24-2020, 08:21 AM   #154
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Gypsy and Frank are truck fanboys, period.

You can argue all the logical points of why a six pot, fixed caliper, drilled and slotted ventilated brake system, with four pot, fixed, drilled, slotted, ventilated systems on the rear are infinitely better than the two pot, floating calliper, undrilled, non slotted rotors on their trucks until you're blue in the face.
They only accept the alternate reality they live in; that their much heavier truck, with a pitiful braking system is far better than a Porsche's, (I at least spelt it correctly).
You'll never change their minds.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

PS The Porsche has bigger rotors and more swept area to boot.

PPS Frank, that crash avoidance situation you wrote about, probably would have been a non event in the Porsche, due to its less mass, better handling, stability control, braking and power.

BTW, you're right, it all comes down to the four points of rubber hitting the road. The Porsche has your truck beat there with better tires, more grip and more contact patch area.

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 08:56 AM   #155
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
I have a 28' Airstream and 3 tow vehicles at my disposal, a half ton Sierra, a Mercedes ML350 diesel SUV and a 3/4 ton Ram 2500. I always choose the Ram. It is heavier with twice the axle capacity of the other two. It does not require a WD hitch and I don't have to worry about overloading it. The Mercedes is an awesome tow vehicle and far better than the half ton in just about every way but I feel much better in the 3/4 ton. I don't know which one would win the braking test but sitting high up in the Ram gives you a much better field of view which is important for accident avoidance.

The Mercedes has a 575 lb maximum hitch weight. I believe the Porsche is a little bit more but still below the tongue weight of a 28. The Mercedes hitch can handle the overload but you have to ask yourself what would happen if you were ever involved in a serious fatal accident. The first thing that an accident investigator would do when he saw that a trailer was involved would be to check if there was an overload condition. If so, you're going to jail. It doesn't even matter what really caused the accident. You're at fault.
out of sight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 08:58 AM   #156
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post

You can argue all the logical points of why a six pot, fixed caliper, drilled and slotted ventilated brake system, with four pot, fixed, drilled, slotted, ventilated systems on the rear are infinitely better than the two pot, floating calliper, undrilled, non slotted rotors on their trucks until you're blue in the face.
They only accept the alternate reality they live in; that their much heavier truck, with a pitiful braking system is far better than a Porsche's, (I at least spelt it correctly).

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

PPS Frank, that crash avoidance situation you wrote about, probably would have been a non event in the Porsche, due to its less mass, better handling, stability control, braking and power.

BTW, you're right, it all comes down to the four points of rubber hitting the road. The Porsche has your truck beat there with better tires, more grip and more contact patch area.
I'm not trying to change their minds, but rather, to provide a balanced discussion for new Airstream owners and showing that there are viable alternatives to big trucks. As you point out many SUVs, sedans, vans etc. are safer for handling and stopping.
Old 01-24-2020, 09:18 AM   #157
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

Tony; not sure if you "own" an AS now, or are "still looking"? Reason i ask is, wondering if you have ever pulled an 8K or larger AS with a 3/4T or 1T PU TV up/down/around in the Rockies, seeing as you live in CAN? I am not opposed to your love for Porsche, nor disputing your "opinion" about performance/stopping, when not towing a heavy trailer. As Frank experienced, I too have had a few very close calls pulling my AS; wife and I convinced a smaller TV (F150 or your Porsche) would have put us into someones trunk on the last close call. I have formed my "opinions" from my experiences while pulling 4 different AS's over the years. I feel very confident in my F250 6.7L with the engine brake and heft of the 3/4T pulling my 28'AS...thats all. YMMV, but please, don't "assume" your dealing with "dummies" in your posts. Most of us are sharing our real life experiences...isn't that what this is about? Loved my Porsche, MBZs, and Expeditions and Tahoe's over the years....just wouldn't want to tow a large AS with them...but hey, that's just me! I know there are many folks that disagree on here (Andy and team for sure!)...just don't agree. Thats all.
Old 01-24-2020, 12:00 PM   #158
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Looking for the best Tow Vehicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
147 feet from 60 mph is not too bad for a large truck. That’s 6 truck lengths following distance. You shouldn’t be following more closely than that at 60mph anyway. If someone gets in that space and brakes hard I would not want to be in that Porsche anyway.

Some of the following distances I see with large trucks and trailers are beyond even the best vehicles’ abilities. If you’re doing that and crash don’t blame the vehicle.

I found it interesting to note in the test results that the stopping distance for a “loaded” truck was about the same as for an “empty” truck, about 150 ft.

Personally, I would prefer to tow my 66 Tradewind, equipped with disc brakes, with a Porsche Cayenne if I could fit all the stuff in it, and the 400 watts of solar on it, that goes in my Tundra.

I do find when I am towing my Airstream that I tend to leave lots of room in front of me in case I have to stop quickly or take evasive action.

DanClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0318.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	311.8 KB
ID:	359781
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 12:34 PM   #159
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post
I found it interesting to note in the test results that the stopping distance for a “loaded” truck was about the same as for an “empty” truck, about 150 ft.

Personally, I would prefer to tow my 66 Tradewind, equipped with disc brakes, with a Porsche Cayenne if I could fit all the stuff in it, and the 400 watts of solar on it, that goes in my Tundra.

I do find when I am towing my Airstream that I tend to leave lots of room in front of me in case I have to stop quickly or take evasive action.

Dan
Those stopping distance do not include reaction time of about 2.5 seconds (220 feet at 60 mph).
Old 01-24-2020, 12:54 PM   #160
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
Holy Moly! I've been missin' out on the fun!!

I REALLY shouldn't even be posting in this thread.....not mature enough to do so

I'm pulling the 30 International with an F250. I try hard not to even enter the debates regarding towing with Mercedes, Porsche, etc. SUV's. I figure the individual needs differ such that 'to each his own' comes in to play.

I WOULD like to see comparisons on braking while towing though, but I doubt such real life data is out there.

You know, hook up a 30 footer to the tow vehicles in question, run 'em up to 65 mph, and then slam on the brakes, see which truly has the best stopping power, while towing. Maybe even run a test WITHOUT trailer brakes.

Honestly, when I went F250, the brakes weren't my main concern. I really wanted to cap it, and have a watertight 'garage' to put stuff in, like jack, bikes, grill, propane tanks, toolbox, air compressor, portable ladder, socket set, extra water, gas fireplace, metal detector, boxes of books, 8 foot folding table, a couple plastic tubs, outdoor rug, maybe a generator some day, and whatever else we may buy on the way.

Good thread!

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 Ruby
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote