Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2019, 09:23 AM   #81

Cedar Park , TX
F150 Ford

I totally agree with you! I have a 2012 F150 with total towing package and 3.73 rear end, and 3.5 Ecoboost engine - only thing I have added are towing airbags. I am pulling a 30'Airstream and the rig is easy to handle, tows well at highway speeds, and isn't subject to drafting when big rigs pass. I've had it in the mountains and had no problems. My strongest recommendation is to WATCH THE WEIGHT OF YOUR TRAILER, TRUCK, AND CONTENTS! It is easy to overload.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnsapp View Post
I have a 2018 25’ FB and I tow it with a 2016 F150 and have no issues at all. However, all truck are not created equally. You need to buy a truck with a total towing package and that has a 3.73 ratio rear end. You also need to get the towing mirrors included. Also keep in my mind that A TWO WHEEL DRIVE TRUCK WILL OUT TOW A FOUR WHEEL DRIVE TRUCK. If you don’t believe that check the manufacture information. If you get the Ford it has the aluminum body that is 500 pounds lighter so that will add 500 more pounds of payload to you hauling capability. And finally get the 3.5 Ecoboot engine not the 2.7. You’ll be very happy. I’m not making this stuff up physics don’t lie people do.
MarilynMarti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 09:39 PM   #82
1 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
newport beach , California
We have a 23' 2016 International that we have been using primarily in California to stay in during equestrian competitions...probably 50-60 nights a year for the past 2 years. We started with Denali XL as tow vehicle, but my wife is the primary driver of the trailer and she hated driving the huge vehicle around town in So Cal. The towing was great but the vehicle felt large. We traded for a 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland with a V8 Hemi and it has been great. So much more manueverable as a daily driver and tow ability has been great. Just made the drive from Paso Robles to Temecula last week towing in torrential rain over the Grapevine and LA traffic and had NO issues. I've been getting 15-18mph while towing...
hpnewport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 10:29 PM   #83
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Dalton , Ohio
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6273.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	332.6 KB
ID:	333243Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6278.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	441.1 KB
ID:	333244Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4954.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	411.2 KB
ID:	333245
SteveNdebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 05:14 PM   #84
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Frederick , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by safaridave View Post
I have a good friend that has a 25FB AS like the original poster is considering. His wife was tired of having to maneuver their Chevy 2500 pickup around town as their daily driver as well as the TV. They did extensive research and ended up with a 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT at a big discount at the end of the 2018 model year and rave about how well it tows the AS besides being a much better daily driver. He said it has 475 hp and 470 lb/ft of torque from the hemi V8, and pulls the AS effortly anywhere they have gone. Has 7200 lb factory tow package, excellent 4X4 capability to explore when they boondock, huge Brembo brakes to bring everything to a quick halt, great maneuverability in camp, and all the luxury amenities and electronic nannies you would ever want. Might be a good choice for those who don't want to drive a big pickup around as a grocery getter when not towing.
I think this is where and why so many opinions diverge and that is "how comfortable are you banging up against the limits?" The 25FB has a 7300 lb GVWR and while I understand that manufacturers build in a factor of safety, I generally apply my own factor of safety and wouldn't feel comfortable towing the 25 with the Jeep with it's 7200 lb capacity. I'm sure that I have never loaded my 27FB to its 7600lb GVWR and from a towing perspective my F150EB with its 10,500 lb towing capacity is overkill but i'm okay with that. I'm more concerned with payload (where I am more likely to hit the limits), but others are comfortable going a bit over payload or are willing and interested in doing multiple trips to the scales with different configurations and maxing everything (total, axle weight, distribution and so forth) but again, I like my own factor of safety.

However, this is one huge advantage of the 23 and under; they are much lighter and the tow vehicle choice opens up substantially.
DewTheDew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 12:29 PM   #85
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga adkins View Post
What I seldom see is the discussion on gas vs diesel as far as filling up at the pump. Some of the newer stations may be challenge in getting a long AS and TV thru the pump area. I went with diesel primarily for that reason. Had a diesel pusher MH prior and filling up at the truck pumps was much easier in and out.
Does anyone have trouble getting diesel fuel into their TV at truck stops? The large volume pumps seem to pump so much fuel that it either continuously shuts of the nozzle or, if I hold it by hand and let it flow slowly, it does not shut off at all and I get fuel on the ground. Maybe there is something I'm doing wrong. Any ideas?

I have a Ram 2500.

Thanks!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 01:39 PM   #86
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by geo View Post
We preferred having an SUV as our towing vehicle over a pick-up, so I did lots of research before deciding on a Toyota Sequoia. It rides and handles great, the V8 engine provides 7100# of towing capacity, and it does a fine job towing our International Signature 23FB up hills. I’ve observed an average of 13.5 MPG while towing, which makes this one of the most efficient TV’s in its class. And I like having more secured storage in the back of the car.

As previously mentioned, it’s a good idea to first choose the trailer prior to buying a TV, as we did, to ensure you have plenty of towing capacity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollinstone View Post
We like our 2014 Ford Expedition w/ tow package. Pulls a 20-25' trailer with ease. Max tow weight up to 9200 lbs. Prefer the SUV 'cause it makes a nice around town vehicle AND fits in our small garage.

The Denali is good, but our 3rd row seats fold down flat with touch of a button.

We also prefer the SUV....'06 2500 Suburban 8.1L in our case.(extinct)
We were considering new but couldn't justify the $$$$ for a toe only vehicle.🤔

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 04-05-2019, 11:55 PM   #87
2 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Luvs our 2014 gas Expedition with full tow package. Pulls up to 9200 lbs. Also makes a nice town truck...coverts to 3 row seating.
Rollinstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 09:07 AM   #88
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post
Does anyone have trouble getting diesel fuel into their TV at truck stops? The large volume pumps seem to pump so much fuel that it either continuously shuts of the nozzle or, if I hold it by hand and let it flow slowly, it does not shut off at all and I get fuel on the ground. Maybe there is something I'm doing wrong. Any ideas?

I have a Ram 2500.

Thanks!
During the last couple of years we gravitated to small individual truck stops. Their prices are much better then the major brands and their nozzles tend to be the conventional size. Not to mention they are not mobbed 24/7.
We use the Allstays app and plan ahead. I haven't pulled into a Pilot or the like in two years.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 12:45 PM   #89
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
During the last couple of years we gravitated to small individual truck stops. Their prices are much better then the major brands and their nozzles tend to be the conventional size. Not to mention they are not mobbed 24/7.
We use the Allstays app and plan ahead. I haven't pulled into a Pilot or the like in two years.
You can usually fit into a normal gas station lane where you can access a car nozzle. Truck stop diesel prices are a lot higher. I use GasBuddy to shop for diesel. It's all the same fuel by the way. I have seen prices within a mile of each other varying by over $1 per gallon.
out of sight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 09:39 PM   #90
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Dalton , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post

Yeah, nothing worse than a Pilot “travel plaza” for fueling up. As I was finishing fueling up some guy backs his truck in front of my MDX and 25’ AS making me have to back up to get around him to leave. I waited a little as he went into the store (no fuel). After I backed up and as I work my way slowly around the front of the store somehow he came back out, got in his truck, drove around and stopped broadside in front of me waiting for his girlfriend to run back inside the store, oblivious to my wanting to leave. So, NO MORE travel plazas!
SteveNdebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 06:20 AM   #91
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post
Does anyone have trouble getting diesel fuel into their TV at truck stops? The large volume pumps seem to pump so much fuel that it either continuously shuts of the nozzle or, if I hold it by hand and let it flow slowly, it does not shut off at all and I get fuel on the ground.
I once had a diesel pickup, and I sometimes had this problem.

One time the fuel gushed out and got on my shoes!

Had to drive barefoot, as the shoes were throwing off a fuel stank.

I'd prefer not to have another diesel, due to hassle factors such as these, and maintenance cost (though I understand the appeal and why others love to drive the D).
WhereStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 07:20 AM   #92
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Litchfield Park , Arizona
The best part of owning a diesel is Diesel Exhaust Fluid. I really love having to lug the stuff around and add it when I get the dreaded alert message on my dash display...

However, I do appreciate the power of my 2018 Silverado 2500 HD Diesel. We don't have to worry about getting up hills and mountains and the Silverado tows our trailer with ease.

All I can say to someone contemplating a tow vehicle is don't cheap out. You need something dependable so you don't break down in the middle of nowhere. You need something long enough and heavy enough so that your trailer is not in charge, your tow vehicle is. You need something powerful enough so that you can get up the mountain. 4WD is recommended for getting through and out of tough spots. You need dry cargo space for carrying all the stuff that won't fit in your trailer.

Steve
stevejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 07:47 AM   #93
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
I'll be glad when Spring is over with and we can return to Camping conversations.😂
...where is the best Hot Spring Campground with Yoga and Pilates Classes?🤔

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 04-07-2019, 08:05 AM   #94
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by out of sight View Post
It's all the same fuel by the way.
Not true.
jaybauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 08:30 AM   #95
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejones View Post
All I can say to someone contemplating a tow vehicle is don't cheap out. You need something dependable so you don't break down in the middle of nowhere. You need something long enough and heavy enough so that your trailer is not in charge, your tow vehicle is. You need something powerful enough so that you can get up the mountain. 4WD is recommended for getting through and out of tough spots. You need dry cargo space for carrying all the stuff that won't fit in your trailer.

Steve
My motorhome is on a Chevy Kodiak chassis with the 8.1L gasser. Were I ever to go back to a 30' or longer trailer like the 34' tri-axle Limited I had several years ago, I'd be looking for a Kodiak pickup as a tow vehicle. Not too convenient as a commuter, but the best d*mned towing machine, perhaps the best ever built.
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 08:38 AM   #96
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by out of sight View Post
You can usually fit into a normal gas station lane where you can access a car nozzle. Truck stop diesel prices are a lot higher. I use GasBuddy to shop for diesel. It's all the same fuel by the way. I have seen prices within a mile of each other varying by over $1 per gallon.
We also use gas stations, we find Shell more often than not has diesel and decent island layouts where the diesel pumps are on the outside Islands. The truck stops we look for are small independents with 2 islands at most with lots of room to maneuver around .
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 08:55 AM   #97
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
Another trick I have learned in seeking out gas stations is to check it on Google maps satellite view to see if it looks big enough for my rig or to see how best to approach the pumps.
out of sight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 12:16 PM   #98
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
I'll be glad when Spring is over with and we can return to Camping conversations.��
...where is the best Hot Spring Campground with Yoga and Pilates Classes?��

Bob
����
Just outside Johnson City is Jellystone RV campground...in fact this weekend is celebrating Yogi and there will also be Pirates around the pool! It's also a great weekend for the spring flower explosion and wine festival....Oh, you said Yoga and Pilates...I stand corrected...but we are still going to Jellystone with the grand daughters to camp, and I hope to sneak over to the Johnson City Roadrunner base and "crash" the Hill Country AS Rally happy hour! Hope they have those BBQ poppers again!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 01:30 PM   #99
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Jellystone was mobbed the first time we considered and closed the second time. They also consumed a local KOA we had planned to try. So they get no third oppertunity to serve our custom. Pirates and picnic basket snatchers are not a draw. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 02:04 PM   #100
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Just outside Johnson City is Jellystone RV campground...in fact this weekend is celebrating Yogi and there will also be Pirates around the pool! It's also a great weekend for the spring flower explosion and wine festival....Oh, you said Yoga and Pilates...I stand corrected...but we are still going to Jellystone with the grand daughters to camp, and I hope to sneak over to the Johnson City Roadrunner base and "crash" the Hill Country AS Rally happy hour! Hope they have those BBQ poppers again!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
Jellystone was mobbed the first time we considered and closed the second time. They also consumed a local KOA we had planned to try. So they get no third oppertunity to serve our custom. Pirates and picnic basket snatchers are not a draw. Pat

Did you say Pirates?🏴*☠️

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1d76.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	359.0 KB
ID:	337544   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_2111.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	147.9 KB