Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-24-2013, 08:11 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
Mine is an '06 Megacab 4x4 bone stock like yours. I'm right around 92k after this most recent trip of just under 6k miles.
That's pretty cool. Mine has 95K. It's a great truck isn't it. Mine is an automatic is yours?

I keep finding out new stuff about it. I just found out last week that the rear seat backs have two ways to fold down. The way I've know about is the way that makes everything perfectly flat, but I was looking through the owners manual and discovered the release on top of the seat back that allows it to fold like a table. Never knew about that until then. I just overlooked it.

It's just like the Tow Haul mode which I knew nothing about until last month. Sure wish I had learned about that when I bought the truck in 09'. Unfortunately I bought it used from a car lot so I've kind of had to find out about the truck on my own. Obviously it's taking a while. Haha

If your interested in the Pacbrake PRXB, it seems to be really good, but you've read my cautionary tale. The guy I bought mine through uses it on an 07 that he uses to haul a 28K goose neck container trailer. He swears by it. He gave me a good price, I can furnish you with his contact info and at least one other place you can might also be able to get a good price through. But, I'd also recommend you call Pacbrake and make sure they provide you with the heavier gauge wire to repair the switch wire if they are still using the thinner gauge. There is one other wire you'll need to add an extension to also. If you fix them before you do the install, it will save you a ton of headaches.

Anyway I can completely walk you through the install if you intend to do it yourself.

Let me know,
Pete
TV 2006 Dodge Ram 2500
Mega Cab Diesel 4x4
Re-Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:48 AM   #42
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Fuel economy gains won't be seen with a larger-than-stock exhaust. Same for aftermarket air intake systems (for the most part) in the assumption that the vehicle remains stock, overall, and that most driving is steady-state on level to rolling terrain with loads that are inside of manufacturer guidelines.

Both CUMMINS and KENWORTH have White Papers available online in re Class 8 trucks that are applicable.

When I was doing oilfield hotshot some aftermarket "help" reduced fuel burn . . so when you are grossing just above 30,000-lbs some of that may be worthwhile (after all, you're also being paid every mile so higher maintenance/repair expenses sort of even it out where reliability is favored).

Fuel economy is mainly small stuff. And between the drivers ears. Records of every gallon burned are mandatory. Average mpg is the number, and percentage changes to that are the only thing that counts. "Real time feedback" as with an OBD-II reader (SCANGAUGE, or my choice, ULTRAGAUGE) is a way to start establishing better habits. And it is habits that make the difference. Comfortable changes.

With a 4WD DODGE CTD where I was willing to spend money to save money while improving the vehicle (not imaginary or boy toy crap) I'd start with the steering upgrade to 2009 specification. Reduction of steering inputs over 100-miles is cited by both sources above as significant. Dodge steering and the rest of the 4WD front end need help.

One can also change drive gears to 3.42. Better tires. Or look to aerodynamics to help. But the difference is in the driver: among professionals -- where all else is the same -- the best did the exact same work at a nearly one-third reduction in fuel use.

With a pre-2008 CTD there are over one dozen examples online I've found of our type of TT of from 28' to 35' (7k to 11k) showing 14-16 mpg (consistent with my own experience). Obviously, truck spec, climate and terrain factor heavily, as does chosen travel speed. It's a reasonable goal inside this to achieve these numbers, and I'd be adamant about searching out why I wasn't if I wasn't.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:18 PM   #43
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Riverside , California
The 305 version is known for better mileage than the 325. I have a considerable number of dyno runs on both my Ctds. You will need to put on many miles to recoup the money for upgrades. It is one of my passions so I don't give a lot of weight to the dollar vs power in the equation. I have gained over 100hp and am seeing 850lbft torque at the wheels and am getting the same fuel mileage is what the stock truck claim. I have a built trans that cost a few bucks. The majority of upgrades have been to increase airflow. Remember every engine is an air pump. The stock exhaust is fine at the oem power level and ok at 100 additional but not optimum.
2015 Toyota Tacoma trd 4x4
2000 Jeep Wrangler 4x4
Bob4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:03 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob4x4 View Post
The 305 version is known for better mileage than the 325. I have a considerable number of dyno runs on both my Ctds. You will need to put on many miles to recoup the money for upgrades. It is one of my passions so I don't give a lot of weight to the dollar vs power in the equation. I have gained over 100hp and am seeing 850lbft torque at the wheels and am getting the same fuel mileage is what the stock truck claim. I have a built trans that cost a few bucks. The majority of upgrades have been to increase airflow. Remember every engine is an air pump. The stock exhaust is fine at the oem power level and ok at 100 additional but not optimum.
Thanks Bob
TV 2006 Dodge Ram 2500
Mega Cab Diesel 4x4
Re-Pete is offline   Reply With Quote