Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2020, 09:33 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Fort Saunders , Wyoming
Loading YOUR TRAILER may be Different

Front Bed Airstream's load differently than Rear Bed Airstreams.

Is your Tow Vehicle at its limits? Do you have 4 wheel drive options? Do you have a shell on the pickup? Weight of fuel figured in the load, miles per gallon... limits your range without a service station. Did the kids slip in some heavy mining equipment to do some gold placering in Alaska, when your are going to Kansas?

Are your batteries... sort of... dead. Fresh? Adequate without Solar and no hook ups in Nowhere Zip a Doodle, Utah? What have I missed? Did you figure the weight of the one or two portable Solar Panels to take care of ALL your 12 volt needs?

Dry Cell D Batteries? Lithium? AGM, Wet Cell... crappy cheap batteries?

Fresh Water weight moves when you begin to fill the Grey and Black tanks. Fresh water over the axle or axles? Grey and Black... which direction... forward or aft?

Pantry and Refrigerators... aaaaahhhhh. Pile it in and figure the AXLES will and can carry the weight? The theory is the weight transfers from the trailer and into the intestines of the passengers IN the Tow Vehicle. WEIGHT distribution, of sorts.

Restroom stops HELP distribute and reduce total carrying weight, as well. Frequent stops reduces stress for passengers and the Tow Vehicle and Trailer. This is good...

....but, how about your tires? C Rated. D Rated. E Rated. ST trailer tires. LT truck tires. Tread depths for Off the Grid traveling. Consider everything that can go... wrong. Then you will be OK. Maybe.

Having no dump station for your Grey and Black Tanks for ten days.. BUT topped off your Fresh Water at a Truck Stop... will affect your weight distribution and weight on your tires. Noah's Ark comes to mind... sooner than later.

How about your 'Hitch' and weight distribution? Is your Tow Vehicle now sagging with the load of bicycles, ice coolers and your two Honda Generators, fuel and unknown cartons of stuff from the kids? Lock and Loaded everything... lacking the kitchen sink, kind of vacation.

When you get advice on Hitches, Tow Vehicles and how much STUFF you can haul, including pets, pet porters, food for three weeks (Human and Man's Best Friends)... it all adds up to... an over loaded tow vehicle and trailer.

Take my situation as different from yours. One shovel may be your limit. I have a hers and his... one for defensive uses, the other for digging. Shovels need to have oak handles and steel. Plastic is for Movie Stars too weak to do any Boondocking.

We travel... heavy. We may be in the 'bush' for a day, a week or... just want to hang around and plant a Victory Garden. WE ARE PREPARED. We are Old and we learned the hard way... having relatives giving us bad advice. No... we do not need a tub.

I love my 16 inch Michelin Tires on the Airstream and Tow Vehicle. They give me a wide spectrum of hauling what we loaded from home... and possibly interesting rocks discovered during our Adventures.

Front Bed... Rear Bed. Stuff is stored under them. Weight from Member A is distributed differently than Member B's loading. Just consider that YOU travel differently than someone who is RV Park camping... and like myself an Off the Grid Boondocker.

I have shovels, loppers to cut back brush, plastic buckets, outdoor mats for muddy and wet and dusty conditions, leveling blocks, grease, six gallon water jug for two Blue Heelers, five gallon bucket of Dog Food... and whatever they find at the campsite ... and tools, and... wholly moley.

What ARE your LOADING Techniques? We all travel differently. Need different Tow Vehicles for good or bad reasons. An outdoor shower tent? What is it?

Do you have the... LIST of necessary items FIRST. Then go from there? If not... you need to have 'THE List' checked off first. Print out ours on the computer before every trip. Nancy is organized. I just begin tossing stuff into the pickup and cover it up. I am a sly old fox. But she finds it... she is better at this game.
Old 07-15-2020, 09:48 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Loading YOUR TRAILER may be Different

Ray, thatís so true. Ours is a front bedroom and I have to watch that the wifeís anvil collection does not end up on board. The other thing touchy on our loading plan is that the streetside has a lot of storage in the kitchen and wardrobe, so itís easy to overload the tires on that side. That was the root cause of a GYM tire self-destruct on one of my sonís trips. We now have GY Endurance tires including a spare with a higher load range than OEM. Movable heavy stuff like the toolbox gets stowed on the curbside dinette area even if itís in the way.

Add on the basic emergency gear I always carry, clothing and stuff for the planned trip, then fill the back of the truck with all the stuff we plan to drop off for the kids on the trip. Then I spend more time carefully positioning stuff to even out the weight side to side and adjusting WD jacks to properly keep the front end of the TV on the ground.

My water tank is between the axles, so that at least is not too much of a balance issue. Waste tanks are aft, so they need care and dumping if we are on the road a long time.

Bottom line itís not like weight and balance on an aircraft, but I need to consider the subject to make the trip more comfortable and safe.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 12:12 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
Ray, we are trying to keep our tongue weight at about 13% of our trailer weight as a minimum.

Our FB has most of our clothes and linens and folding chairs under the bed. The fresh water tanks sits forward of the axle but we have not carried water (other than our drinking water carried in the truck). We have been able to dump the black/grey which are both aft of the axle before hitting the road.

With our 22FB we would see an increase in tongue load of about 100 lbs. if we carried fresh water in the tank (ours in a 20 gallon tank so about 166 lbs of water weight). This could be offset if we moved some of this into the grey tank before heading out.

We would have a different loading plan if we were to boondock. Water would have to be loaded. Additional tools for emergencies and for bush wacking. We would need to pack our Honda 2000i as well and fuel for that. An extra tank of propane would be handy too.

Camping (glamping) in a provincial spot is different with kayaks on the roof of the truck. We would have a quick drive to get more food or supplies or even a dinner out

Our roles are clear, Cheryl looks after the inside and I look after the outside. She packs all the stuff inside the trailer. I would just pack the clothes on my back and a bag of smoked salmon.

Our WDH system allows for quick and easy adjustments on the fly so we can always be dialled in for a level ride. It is a controversial subject so all I can say is it works for us.

We are running GYE 15's that came with the trailer and have been running then at max 80 psi according to the AS manual. This may be a mistake as I recently saw a GY load/psi chart which indicates that we should be more in the area of 50 psi. We are running at 65% load compared to the max for these tires.
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 03:36 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
How I load is this. I have a front bedroom and under bed storage along with a front storage pass thru. I have very little packed in both locations and keep my TW at 12% or lower. Everything I take gets put in the center of the trailer close to the axles in totes, on the floor and under the dinette. My kitchen is in the center of the trailer, so is the slide out. Remove anything off the rear bumper including the spare tire which rides in the truck bed against the cab. I use a smaller group 24 battery and only fill one propane tank at any given time. I lower tongue weight and lower the trailers yaw inertia simultaneously = stability
Profxd is offline   Reply With Quote