Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-21-2013, 03:11 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Toccoa , Georgia
Lexus LX470 as TV?

I own a reasonably low mileage (94K) 2006 Lexus LX470 and am considering using it to tow an Airstream trailer. I envision using it for month long trips with 1-2 adults...probably touring from my home base in north Georgia to the great American west....Arizona, Montana, Utah, etc. So a fair amount of highway travel, driving western mountain passes and mostly summer/fall travel.

So, how big an Airstream can my LX comfortably, reliably and safely handle?

Are there add-on's that might help my Lexus do the duty with less stress on it's running gear (like an oil cooler?)?

I would particularly value input from those who have experience using this model (or it's twin, the Toyota Land Cruiser) to tow Airstreams around the west?

First post here....looking for ward to your input.

Many thanks,

Bob
bobframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 03:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Bob check out our nearby--- Hiawassee rally in April. Under Springstream in Forums Rallys..
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 03:31 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Hi Bob

Here's a link to a forum search looking for threads featuring the Lexus: Airstream Forums - Search Results

You might find your questions answered in there.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 04:24 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Bob.... here are some more posts of interest....

Airstream Forums - Search Results
Old 12-21-2013, 05:39 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Toccoa , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasduess View Post
Hi Bob

Here's a link to a forum search looking for threads featuring the Lexus: Airstream Forums - Search Results

You might find your questions answered in there.
Yep...very helpful. Thanks!
Old 12-21-2013, 05:57 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Welcome aboard. There are enough tow vehicle, tires and best hitch threads on here to spin your eye balls for years, or so it seems.

I wish I had the time to read every thread, but there is more to life than that. I learned all I know about those three topics above here and at least made a semi intelligent group of choices including the trailer size and subsequent trailer and trim level, what options to install at the factory and what options to put on later, the better (or best depends on who is talking) trailer tires and the proper sized or capability tow vehicle with hitch for the trailer selected.

I started with using my 2007 Mercedes ML 320 CDI diesel and found the numbers did not work (front axle rating exceeded and the car GVW was exceeded let alone the actual weight of the loaded trailer grossly exceeding the recommended maximum trailer weight and creating driveline stain) when the trailer was loaded for camping. I migrated to a ¾ ton diesel tow vehicle. I changed the tires to Michelin on the original trailer and have them in hand for the new unit when it gets here.

Enjoy the learning process. It is cheaper to push a pencil on the numbers on paper than try to erase the ink on a signed contract.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 12:27 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Alameda , California
What size trailer are you thinking of towing?
The lx470 is a great SUV and the air suspension makes it ride great. But it does lower the towing compared to the land cruiser.
Vitaminsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 05:52 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Toccoa , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitaminsea View Post
What size trailer are you thinking of towing?
The lx470 is a great SUV and the air suspension makes it ride great. But it does lower the towing compared to the land cruiser.
I didn't know that...thanks.

I am considering a small trailer, in the 20' range...I think. Still so early in the process. I haven't actually set foot in one yet, so I am judging based on floorplans and You tube videos. I know this isn't any way to decide, but everybody gotta start someplace.
Old 12-22-2013, 05:56 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Toccoa , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
I started with using my 2007 Mercedes ML 320 CDI diesel and found the numbers did not work (front axle rating exceeded and the car GVW was exceeded let alone the actual weight of the loaded trailer grossly exceeding the recommended maximum trailer weight and creating driveline stain) when the trailer was loaded for camping. I migrated to a ¾ ton diesel tow vehicle. I changed the tires to Michelin on the original trailer and have them in hand for the new unit when it gets here.

I'll wager you're not the first to go through this process. I'm curious...when considering a different tow vehicle, what were you decision points when considering 1/2 ton vs. 3/4 ton? '

Am I opening a can of worms here? If so, can you point me to threads that have already hashed through these wars?

Thanks!
Old 12-22-2013, 11:44 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobframe View Post
I'll wager you're not the first to go through this process. I'm curious...when considering a different tow vehicle, what were you decision points when considering 1/2 ton vs. 3/4 ton? '
For most the decision comes down to payload capacity, some just want the big diesel engine so they don't have to slow down on hills.

For example with your 2006 Lexus LX470 the payload is only 1270 lbs so with a 25' modern Airstream real world tongue weights are usually 1000-1200 lbs and after weight distribution is applied would use up 900-1000 lbs of your payload capacity which wouldn't leave much for passengers and anything else in your TV.

With that said you should be fine with an Airstream in the 20' range actually a 23' FB or smaller should be good for payload.(the other 23' Airstreams have more tongue weight then the 23' FB)

Your Lexus lists 2 tow ratings 5000 lbs or 6500 lbs if 5000 lbs that would limit you to 22' or less for a new Airstream, vintage trailers are lighter and may allow a larger trailer.

One of the best add-ons for reliability is an auxiliary-transmission cooler.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 07:57 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
My choice of a successor tow vehicle to the Mercedes was limited to the 2012 Dodge 2500HD with Cummins. I wanted payload, diesel and no urea in the fuel. My choice within that boundary was limited because of model year end, but found the truck with all the required options and color I wanted plus some bonus options on the wish list.

Required options included:
Power Heater T-towing mirrors with signal lamps and pussle l;ights
Reverse Camera required the navigation system for the display screen
Backup sensors
Bucket front seats
180 watt alternator

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
Old 12-23-2013, 09:30 AM   #12
Zia
3 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB International
2007 20' Safari
Irvine , California
I am using Lexus 2007 GX470 for my 23 FB for last two years without any issues going over7,000 ft mountian passes. It is a great SUV. Previously I had 2005 4Runner and used it for my 20' Airstream. The both vehicles are almost same except Lexus is little luxurous, all wheel drive and tow capacity is 6500 lb as compare to 7,000 lbs for 4Runner. As mentioned above 23FB A/S has lowest hitch weight, however, our decision was not based on this fact rather than our preference to the layout. Good luck
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 01:19 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Alameda , California
Quote:
I didn't know that...thanks.

I am considering a small trailer, in the 20' range...I think. Still so early in the process. I haven't actually set foot in one yet, so I am judging based on floorplans and You tube videos. I know this isn't any way to decide, but everybody gotta start someplace.

That's a good range for the trailer and the lx470. I agree with the other inputs here on size of the airstream for this SUV. Enjoy.
Vitaminsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 05:54 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Toccoa , Georgia
Thanks for all of your input. Very helpful.

Can someone point me to the great debate on 1/2 ton vs. 3/4 ton?
Old 12-27-2013, 06:53 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
Just enter "tow vehicle" into the search engine at the top of the page.

Old 12-28-2013, 06:24 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Toccoa , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post

For example with your 2006 Lexus LX470 the payload is only 1270 lbs so with a 25' modern Airstream real world tongue weights are usually 1000-1200 lbs and after weight distribution is applied would use up 900-1000 lbs of your payload capacity which wouldn't leave much for passengers and anything else in your TV.

With that said you should be fine with an Airstream in the 20' range actually a 23' FB or smaller should be good for payload.(the other 23' Airstreams have more tongue weight then the 23' FB)

Your Lexus lists 2 tow ratings 5000 lbs or 6500 lbs if 5000 lbs that would limit you to 22' or less for a new Airstream, vintage trailers are lighter and may allow a larger trailer.

One of the best add-ons for reliability is an auxiliary-transmission cooler.
Excellent reply. Again, I am a bottomless pit of ignorance, so forgive the idiot questions.

So, the trailer's tongue weight counts as "payload"?

I think my LX470 has a tow rating of 6500.

Any idea what an aux tranny cooler costs? (Ballpark)

I think I am slowly coming around to the idea of trading the LX for a more "capable" TV...like a 1/2 or 3/4 ton pickup with full tow package.
Old 12-28-2013, 05:09 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Excellent reply. Again, I am a bottomless pit of ignorance, so forgive the idiot questions.

So, the trailer's tongue weight counts as "payload"?

I think my LX470 has a tow rating of 6500.

Any idea what an aux tranny cooler costs? (Ballpark)

I think I am slowly coming around to the idea of trading the LX for a more "capable" TV...like a 1/2 or 3/4 ton pickup with full tow package.
Most of the tongue weight does count as payload (a weight distributing hitch transfers some back to the trailer axles) since the TV suspension is physically carrying that weight.

For the tranny cooler, you could get 1 from about $75-250 depending on size of the cooler and weather you get a complete kit or just the cooler then get the rest of the parts for more. On some vehicles the price difference doesn't justify doing the work yourself instead of having it installed, depends if they have a descent priced kit for yours or you have to make several trips to get the right parts.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 04:01 PM   #18

Austin , TEXAS
Quote:
Thanks for all of your input. Very helpful.

Can someone point me to the great debate on 1/2 ton vs. 3/4 ton?
Bob-
What did you end up doing? I also have an LX (2005) and with research (not real world practice) have discovered many find it to be a very capable TV, designed to easily handle the 6500lb rating. Not sure if you have the bumper cover hitch deal, but that isn't set up to do anything but handle a bike rack or a PWC. You need the real frame mounted hitch if it didn't come with.
From what I read, a WDH, sway control, and adding a solid brake controller (easy DIY install) makes for an easy tow for a 23FB or smaller. The 25' AS seemed to be a bit much if there are any real hills involved in your travels.
good luck!
dp
austream is offline   Reply With Quote