Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2015, 05:53 AM   #21
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Late model Ram 2500 diesel fuel economy towing??

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAB View Post
Looks like most of us with later model 2500HD w/Cummins are in the same ballpark. I towed my '12 28' Intl CCD about 8,000 miles last summer/fall and averaged 14.5 MPG. Thus far with my new Classic, I'm right at 14. Will have a better feel after summer's over and I've towed more with the new trailer. I do have 4WD...may have a minor impact on MPG. do....

What travel speed, and are you using cruise control?

If not all miles, then do you break out Interstate/CC engaged miles?

For everyone:

4WD penalty is at least 2-mpg for actual average mpg. Tire selection plays a role for both 4 and 2wD. Trailer tires at less than 100% pressure is also a penalty (past tire life and braking optimization).

2-mpg over 100k from 14-16 is at least 1000-gls extra to do the same work. It isn't the fuel money so much as the wear to drivetrain, tires etc.

Auto is slightly better than manual for steady state highway for the latest models, but overall average would have to take into account driver motivation as to fuel economy.

Not long after I got mine in '07, I searched for comps. Found about a dozen in South Central US (climate, terrain) and found that for 28-35' TT of this type (not brand) where weights were 8-11k, that early HPCR Cummins was showing 14-16 mpg where operators were keeping travel speed under 65-mph.

That the latest DEF models are in that range is impressive. Thus the Q about travel speed vs mpg.

An auto trans/4WD of today is going to be a bit closer to 2WD/manual than in yesteryear (for most drivers). A VPP hitch is worth more than 1-mpg to the long term tow average (fewer steering corrections per 100-miles) past it's obvious superiority (given that it has been set using scale readings).

How well one is doing is charting the percentage drop for towing vs solo where other conditions are the same. A little over 30% is expected. Under that is more impressive. Most are going to see closer to 40%.

That your vehicles are both new is one reason for asking. The mechanicals are likeliest still at spec.

I would still have TT alignment, bearing and brake pre-set checked. Same for checking caliper drag, alignment and CAC leaks on truck.

As with setting up WD on scale, it is useful to have actual numbers with which to compare over time/miles. The final check is to weigh the rig wheel by wheel. One or more TT tires running hotter than others is an FE penalty (past handling/braking/reliability concerns).

And I would not trust any manufacturer to have settings ideal. That may be different than the acceptable range.

Thx
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 06:41 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airtandem View Post
Sorry, but a little hijacking. I get almost the same mileage on my 2011, 1500 hemi. 4x crew cab. I just came back from Texas, not towing and got 18.9 mpg. I get 11-12 towing. I have a 2010 FC 25 ft front bed. Hard for me to justify the diesel. Also these figures are about the same as a Ford F150 Eco.
mike
Mike, I agree with you, a half ton is a great option and is a comfortable daily driver as well. As you point out, it would be unwise to try to justify purchasing a 3/4 ton truck based on fuel economy improvement.

I am personally very reluctant to replace my Ford F150 because I do like the truck as my daily driver. However the tongue weight of my trailer eats up my cargo capacity and to make matters worse, the truck has a class IV hitch.

Therefore my consideration of a change to a 3/4 ton truck is all about cargo and hitch capacity. If and when I pull the trigger, I would very likely lean to a late model TD Ram for the Cummins engine. With that said, I am curious about the general range of fuel economy folks are experiencing with late model TD Rams.

Air #64439
Southeastern Camping Unit WBCCI #5033
Alphonse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 06:52 AM   #23
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
TV selection is always a series of trade-offs. In terms of fuel economy I think there are so many variables, not least is speed/terrain. I find that there's a sweet spot right at 62 MPH. Trailer and TV like that number, and I use CC all the time, with the exception of steep hills, where I prefer to have more control and can sense upshift/downshift and tip in of turbo. Last summer we did the Rockies, and the exhaust braking really solidified (for me), the advantage of the diesel over a gasser. Even on very steep grades, I rarely had to use service brakes. IF I had disc brakes on the trailer, which is basically almost impossible....since Kodiak doesn't offer a rotor that'll work with a 42MM Nev-r-lube bearing, exhaust brakes make a lot of sense. Having a "margin" of capacity just gives me a higher comfort level. I did reduce cargo carrying capacity in the box because I added a 37 gal aux. diesel tank back there....which also added some weight. Now that Ram has coils on the rear of the 2500, the ride is very good -- though it is happier with more weight back there.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 07:07 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAB View Post
. . . . . . Last summer we did the Rockies, and the exhaust braking really solidified (for me), the advantage of the diesel over a gasser. Even on very steep grades, I rarely had to use service brakes. . . . . Having a "margin" of capacity just gives me a higher comfort level. . . . .
Thanks for your earlier post on fuel economy and thanks for the reminder about Exhaust Braking, a big advantage in the hills.

Air #64439
Southeastern Camping Unit WBCCI #5033
Alphonse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 07:25 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Don't want to start a "gas vs Diesel" thing, everyone knows we have enough of those, but a gas engine naturally has good engine braking because of the throttle valve, so an exhaust brake is not needed with them.

However, a while back I was doing some work on my truck that caused the exhaust brake to temporarily not work, and believe me when I say a Diesel rig is just not complete without an exhaust brake. Without it, the engine has NO braking effect at all.

To work well, the Diesel must have the exhaust brake AND the turbo.
Old 05-14-2015, 07:34 AM   #26
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
A VPP hitch is worth more than 1-mpg to the long term tow average (fewer steering corrections per 100-miles) past it's obvious superiority (given that it has been set using scale readings).
I've never heard this argument before. Where are you getting this data from?

Not challenging you as I am genuinely interested. I just moved to a larger trailer and need a new hitch. Wasn't going to spring for the VPP type but my analysis can still change.
Old 05-14-2015, 08:28 AM   #27
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTinNJ View Post
I've never heard this argument before. Where are you getting this data from?

Not challenging you as I am genuinely interested. I just moved to a larger trailer and need a new hitch. Wasn't going to spring for the VPP type but my analysis can still change.

If you've used or observed a VPP hitch in action closely you'd have noticed that the TT no longer wanders or tail wags. Those cause increased steering corrections. The worse the road surface or wind conditions, the worse the effect on FE.

The 100-mile figure is from Cummins and Kenworth white papers on fuel economy. That industry takes FE dead seriously.

Were we hauling the jacked up, high COG plain Jane TTs of today (to clear slide outs) the effect would be magnified that much more. The wind loads on those are substantial. Our trailers are "pulled " by winds passing them more than pushed. A lesser effect, but still real.

A VPP hitch locks things together in a manner of speaking.

FE is a matter of details. They add up. A pickup changed to closed shoulder highway rib tires and a VPP hitch is going to see 1-2 mpg possibly three added to the average annual mpg. Depends on how poorly things were in re lash up, how aggressive were the previous tires, and conditions encountered while underway.

It's a very nice side benefit to the best hitch type (which is a no regret acquisition).
Old 05-14-2015, 09:21 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The VPP hitch may make a difference in fuel use. When we had a conventional sway control hitch the steering wheel was at a steady, slight turn to compensate for the angle of the trailer to the truck in a heavy crosswind. Or slight corrections needed when a semi passed in crosswind. With our VPP hitch the trailer cannot move out of alignment with the truck (only the truck can initiate a turn), the steering is straight ahead.

cheryl
ckottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 10:14 AM   #29
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Late model Ram 2500 diesel fuel economy towing??

My truck with 8' bed topper is felt more at the steering wheel with a passing semi truck bow wave than is the somewhat heavier 35' TT. The body is moving against the suspension.
Old 05-14-2015, 03:01 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Cambridge , New York
I can give you some partial figures, as we have not yet towed with the new Ram. Mine is a 2015 3500 4x4 CC w/8' box and Highway Products Pickup Pack built in, Cummins TD and 6 speed manual tranny.

Solo - Around town/suburban - 18 mpg
Solo - Highway @ 62 - 21 mpg
Solo - Highway @ 78 - 17 mpg

We bought the truck in February, and it has only been driven around Mississippi/Louisiana so conditions have been warm and flat.

I'm hoping to get 14+ mpg with my AS on the trip up to Vermont next month, as that is what I got with the old Dodge 2001 2500/Cummins. We'll see...

Hope this helps!
Old 05-14-2015, 04:15 PM   #31
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Thx. I knew they were doing well. Look forward to report.
Old 06-01-2015, 06:30 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
North Fort Myers , Florida
Diesel Mileage

I have a 1999 5.9 cummins with 177K miles on it (original owner)with a Banks Stinger Plus system on it, 20-21 unladen, pulling my 1975 31'sovereign at 70-80mph(Florida) I get 13-14 and don't really know it's back there. That's the big advantage of the diesel is the torgue and flatout pulling power!

ps "If life gets to riveting, put your AS in the wind"
TLBIJOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 06:26 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Longview , Texas
2015 ram Laramie 4 wd 6 1/5 ft bed cummings.
Open highway running about 70-75 totally no load roughly 20-22 depending on hills and wind, around town 15-16, pulling airstream 27fb international with truck bed full of wife's necessities, including 300 lbs of 7000 honda generator, etc, and trailer full of wifes necessities as well, around 13-15 running in the range of 65, hit 75 average the 12-14
Wayne Clamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 07:44 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Now that our engine is broken in, I'm seeing numbers like others have reported - 22 mpg solo on the highway; 15 mpg towing at 65 mph. We are thrilled with our truck!

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 09:16 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
My 2013 Laramie 4x4 Megacab CTD is getting 13-14 towing my 2001 Safari 25 at 70 mph. I get around 18 not towing at 70 and 16-18 around town, depending on traffic and conditions. These numbers are calculated from odometer and fuel bought; the on board gauge reads about 1-1.5 mpg higher.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:13 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
1990 34' Excella
Charleston , South Carolina
Smile

From Yellowstone
To Charleston
12.5 to 13.5 mpg
34 excella
skitique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:39 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Blacksburg , Virginia
Mileage

Bummer, I am just out of the target survey group, I'm a 05 model,
with 35,870 miles .
Old 07-14-2016, 08:58 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Cambridge , New York
We've now done the Mississippi - Vermont 3400 mile round trip three times now on the 2015 Ram 3500 CTD (with 6 spd stick). GCVW has been 17,000 - 17,300 lbs on the CAT scales on each trip, and we've averaged 14.5 mpg each time. Tows like a dream - the Ram doesn't even seem to know the Airstream is back there. At 62 mph (which is what I always towed at for the first two trips, as we had 15" Goodyear Marathons with 65 mph rating), the Ram turned 1600 rpm in 6th gear. I could just set the cruise and the automatic engine brake, and the rig would effortlessly climb the hills on I-81 in SW Virginia and central Pennsylvania, and the engine brake held the steady speed going down the far side. Never needed to touch the accelerator or the brake pedal. I put 16" rims and Michelin XPS Ribs on for this last trip, and set the cruise at 65 (and passing speeds up to 70-72) - no problems at all! I would definitely recommend the Cummins CTD as the perfect tow vehicle; it comes wrapped in a Dodge Ram, which isn't bad, either!