Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-29-2009, 03:35 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Charleston , South Carolina
Keeping It Simple for Bambi?

I'm a bit tangled in all the new vocabulary (Airstreams, rving, hitches, and towing vehicles). At the end of this year, my TV and Airstream will be my home, not a hobby, and I'll be on the road full time for the first year of my retirement. I need to buy a vehicle anyway and so thought I'd get one that at the end of the year I can get a Bambi (nothing larger than 20 feet at most). But the trucks mentioned--like F-250 + seem so huge to me. And all the "...I added a...) to suspensions and bars and such put me at the mercy of whoever sells me a vehicle. I like the size of the Ford Ranger, or the Dakoda for a vehicle, but I don't know about there being enough upgrades for small trucks to handle even a 16-19 foot Bambi. Many of the people posting are so generous in their advice, that you've sold me on the Airstream.

What sort of "added a..." should I ask the salespersons about? There's not an Airstream dealer or shop in my town, Charleston, SC. Plenty of auto dealers, though, and they're starting to call. Thanks.
poems&songs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 11:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We tow a 2007 19' Bambi (3500 lbs dry, 4500 lbs loaded) with a 2007 Tacoma Double Cab V6 TRD with a factory tow package (tow capacity 6500 lbs.)....07 Tacomas are not huge trucks (but larger than pre-07 models), and fine to tow a 16' of 19' Bambi. Older Bambis are lighter than newer ones, too. You need to study your tow numbers, etc to make sure you are looking for a trailer & vehicle combination that works well. There are several subforums and threads about towing that will help. Good luck and don't hesitate to ask questions. We've all had to start at the beginning at one point or another.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 11:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, poems&songs. A Ford F-250 would be too much and a Ford Ranger wouldn't be enough. Maybe an Expedition or F-150 would be better for you if you want a Ford product.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 04:58 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, poems&songs. A Ford F-250 would be too much and a Ford Ranger wouldn't be enough. Maybe an Expedition or F-150 would be better for you if you want a Ford product.
I absolutely agree with Robert.

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
https://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 07:26 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Destrehan , Louisiana
I've got a small trailer too. (17' Safari) Not only will your TV work to haul the trailer but it will also carry the overflow from your camper. Either a pickup truck or an SUV will work fine. If you get an SUV, be sure it's built on a truck frame and is rated to tow 7,500 lb or more. Get the tow package. It will have options like oil coolers, pre-wired for the brake controller and have a lower ratio rear end to tow with.
If you go with the pickup, look at getting the big tool box for the truck bed. They lock and you can store things in there securely.
Ford F-150, Ford Expidition, Chevy 1500, Suburban, Dodge Ram 1500 or Dodge Durango would all do fine. Get the optional towing mirrors.
Once you get behind the wheel you will get used to the larger size very fast. All of these come with very car like interiors. Pickup trucks are used by many people as their regular car.
dlb435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 03:02 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Thank you all. You've put a lot of order to the chaos of choices. I'm going up to North Carolina this weekend to actually step into an airstream just to see if they feel like they look on the web. (I've never been in one).
Old 07-30-2009, 03:20 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by poems&songs View Post
Thank you all. You've put a lot of order to the chaos of choices. I'm going up to North Carolina this weekend to actually step into an airstream just to see if they feel like they look on the web. (I've never been in one).
Awesome! Good luck. I hope everything goes well for you.

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
https://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 07:16 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Check out the KOA Web site. Some KOAs have Airstreams that you can stay overnight in, like a motel room. That way you can see what it's like living in one without a salesman pressuring you. However, I am pretty sure those models are a little larger than the size you are interested in.

We have a 19-foot Bambi, and I think that about any full-size, half-ton pickup with a V8 and towing package would be fine for a smaller Airstream. Most of them can be equipped like a luxury auto, so you won't miss your car (except, perhaps, at the gas pump).
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 07:56 PM   #9

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome from the Florida Panhandle

First off, welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

If you intend to spend a lot of time on the road with your Airstream, I would suggest that you seriously consider going to a 20 footer. A tandem axle trailer is really a plus if you put a lot of miles on it. Trailer tires are notoriously unreliable if driven hard. Tandem wheels afford an extra level of safety when a tire fails; it also makes changing a tire much easier.

As far as a tow vehicle goes, I would recommend going with a 1/2 ton truck or SUV, such as an F-150 of a Tahoe. Again if you plan to do serious traveling, you may very well be disappointed with a mini truck or SUV. A little trucks would probably be OK for short trips, but I don't think that I would care to go cross country pulling a 4500# trailer with a mini truck.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 08:17 PM   #10

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
You might want to consider vans too. We tow with an E150 passenger van and enjoy the extra enclosed space inside. Vans can often be found cheaper than an equivalent truck.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 08:22 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Or one of these. Honda Ridgeline
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1014.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	84831  
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 08:49 AM   #12
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Take a look at Nissan Pathfinders, xterras, Toyota 4 runners, etc if you are interested in an SUV.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:20 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Another option - a last-generation Toyota Tundra/Sequoia is smaller than the domestic full-size trucks, yet can tow (IIRC) 6700 lbs, easily enough for a Bambi, not to mention considerably larger trailers. We recently talked to two Sequoia owners who were towing 60's 26-foot Overlanders; both were very pleased, including the family who was full-timing for 6 months.

The Sequoia has the advantages of having standard stability control and curtain airbags, even back to 2001. These are critical safety features that I wouldn't be without in a daily driver.

Other than the Ranger and Colorado/Canyon, small trucks aren't so small anymore.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:02 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Edmonton , Alberta
I would strongly recommend finding a TV equipped with a diesel. Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of smaller models so equipped. I think the F-150 has that option.

Diesels will get you much better mileage, cheaper fuel, and plenty of torque to haul anything around. The new generations of diesels are quiet, smooth easy to start (I've started a Dodge Cummins cold at -25C).

They are, however, more expensive than gas, but they have a much stronger resale value at the end.

Cheers and good luck!
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 03:15 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
I would strongly recommend finding a TV equipped with a diesel. Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of smaller models so equipped. I think the F-150 has that option.

Diesels will get you much better mileage, cheaper fuel, and plenty of torque to haul anything around. The new generations of diesels are quiet, smooth easy to start (I've started a Dodge Cummins cold at -25C).

They are, however, more expensive than gas, but they have a much stronger resale value at the end.

Cheers and good luck!
Just adding a little reality here....the F150 is not and has never been available with a Diesel engine. To get a Diesel in any brand of American truck, you have to go up to at least a 3/4 ton (about a $7K jump in price). There was talk about some smaller 1/2 ton Diesels last year, but that was before Government Motors took over.

Also, as I write this, Diesel is more expensive than gasoline, and forecasted to go even higher by the "experts".

Diesels do have much greater torque, and deliver slightly better fuel mileage.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 09:53 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Thanks. If it has air conditioning and a working radio, it'll be a luxury vehicle compared to my 92 Toyota.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:00 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Thanks on all of these suggestions. I've printed your messages and am compiling a list of things I want. Then it's a matter of deals. I'm not good at haggling. In the bazaar in Morocco, I couldn't buy an ashtray without my brain overloading. But with all of your input I can get my ducks in a row. I only have a couple of ducks, but they are big and loud.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:06 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
If you want to haggle, check out Consumer Reports New & Used Car Price Service for actual dealer cost and bargaining tips: New and Used Car Services -- New Car Sample Report

Or, if you don't, investigate Costco's Auto Buying Program (usually a couple of hundred dollars over "invoice"):
Costco - Auto Buying Program=

Both will save you money...

Note: I do not work for either organization, but have purchased vehicles using both of these services. If nothing else, Consumer Reports will help you determine which options are available and their individual costs; and Costco will get you a fair (if not quite the lowest) price.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:56 AM   #19
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
We tow a 2007 19' Bambi (3500 lbs dry, 4500 lbs loaded) with a 2007 Tacoma Double Cab V6 TRD with a factory tow package (tow capacity 6500 lbs.)....07 Tacomas are not huge trucks (but larger than pre-07 models), and fine to tow a 16' of 19' Bambi. Older Bambis are lighter than newer ones, too. You need to study your tow numbers, etc to make sure you are looking for a trailer & vehicle combination that works well. There are several subforums and threads about towing that will help. Good luck and don't hesitate to ask questions. We've all had to start at the beginning at one point or another.
TBRich,
I hope I'm not hijacking this thread, but I'm curious about you pulling the Bambi with your Tacoma. Maybe the original post is considering a midsize pick-up..
We will have the exact same set-up as you have, in a few weeks when we pick up the "new to us" Bambi (04).
We plan on heading to WY or CO in Sept. We always head back into the Forest Service campgrounds pretty far off the beaten path.
Have you gone 700 mile days pulling the Bambi w/ the Tacoma? Do you run in 4th (instead of 5th gear) How fast will you run on the interstate?
Did you get a transmission temp guage? Have you pulled it down 20 miles of washboard gravel roads? If so how was that.. We will be doing it.
I know, lot's of questions.. I'm a new guy to airstream.
Thanks,
Jeff
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:52 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
TBRich,
I hope I'm not hijacking this thread, but I'm curious about you pulling the Bambi with your Tacoma. Maybe the original post is considering a midsize pick-up..
We will have the exact same set-up as you have, in a few weeks when we pick up the "new to us" Bambi (04).
We plan on heading to WY or CO in Sept. We always head back into the Forest Service campgrounds pretty far off the beaten path.
Have you gone 700 mile days pulling the Bambi w/ the Tacoma? Do you run in 4th (instead of 5th gear) How fast will you run on the interstate?
Did you get a transmission temp guage? Have you pulled it down 20 miles of washboard gravel roads? If so how was that.. We will be doing it.
I know, lot's of questions.. I'm a new guy to airstream.
Thanks,
Jeff
We routinely do all of above and more with our Ridgeline. We run 65mph on the interstate because that's the max stated by the trailor tire mfg. Your Tacoma should be able to do the same.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
add-ons, bambi