Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-15-2008, 08:36 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
1987 29' Sovereign
Pace , Florida
K & N Air Filters on Diesel Engines

I recently installed a K & N Air Filter in my 2004 Silverado Duramax. On my first trip (not towing) my truck rerturned 16.8 mpg. On my second trip it returned 18.0 mpg. In both cases it was just a short 60 miles Interstate trip. Prior to installing the K & N my mpg was considerably better.
A friend of mine installed a K & N filter in his 1990 F350 diesel and got lower mpg, he contacted the local Ford dealer and was told not to use K & N filters.
Question: Will my mpg improve over time or is it normal to get lower mpg using K & N filters.
Would love to hear from other diesel truck owners that have used K & N air filters and learn of their experiences.

Danny
dlombardozzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 08:49 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
I had a 1997 Ford F250 7.3 I put a K&N on it and it was a great improvement. I now have a K&N on it and my mileage droped 2 to 3 mpg but I also put a cap on the truck at the same time so I am not sure which one dropped the mpg. I have never heard of a K&N filter causing lower mpg. As far as your Ford dealer that dosen't suprise me as they don't make any money when people buy K&N filters.

Marvin
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 09:59 AM   #3
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
The K & N is designed to allow more air into the engine, which by SOP seems to have better throttle response, but clearly there is a gain in HP by using these types of filters. As the old saying goes, performance costs, so if in fact these do increase HP, I could see it taking an MPG hit. There is a million mile warranty on the filter element, but to be honest, less filtering would mean to me, more junk getting into the engine. For a gasser after about 150k, it's pretty moot, time for an overhaul if you want the exact output it had when it was newer. Diesels can last 3x that amount....

I have one and once you get use to it, it's hard to go back, but at $4 and $5 a gallon, I could learn and learn fast.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 10:11 AM   #4
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
That is suprising. Usually K&N "improves" air flow. They do this by having a higher pore size. Why this lowers fuel milage? It may upset the balance that the enginers programed into the computer?

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 12:02 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
We've found two problems with K&N type air filters.
The first is over-oiling the element. This has been found to foul the Mass Airflow Sensor. Yes, even diesels have them now. A buggered up MAS can throw off the mixture, injection timing and boost pressures.
The second generally doesn't relate to our tow vehicles but involves the use of cold air intakes. The "tuners" mount the intake tube with a bare filter element mounted low behind the bumper. Works great a sucking puddles up into the engine on rainy days.

Tom.

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 02:30 PM   #6
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
I’m with Tom N on this one, I stopped fooling around with after market stuff a long time ago. Most of it is a ripoff, offers no measurable gains, typically sacrifice one area of performance for “gains” in another, and will void your warranty under many circumstances. If nothing else, you tend to put your foot into more after making mods, either to “verify” your investment (“ooohhh feels fast!”), or because it “sounds cool” (exhaust mods), so forget about mpg gains. These vehicles are so highly engineered now there are no mods needed. If 365 hp and 660 lb/ft of torque are not sufficient, you need to get a dragster. If mpg is your concern, slow down.

Bill
Old 05-15-2008, 03:15 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
There have been many tests performed on air filter elements. Suprise! The best overall filter element is the stock AC Delco.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 03:41 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I used a K&N filter on my 97 Sub for years while on the east coast, not as much dirt as we get credit for. On a trip out west someone told me that was not a good idea as the K&N with it's larger air flow also allowed larger particals to pass through. Sure enough after laeving Utah I looked in the air tube, after the filter, and found the walls covered with fine sand. Thats when I bought a stock filter.

As far as air flow. If you are running a diesel I assume you have a boost and EGT gages, if not you should have them installed. Watch the gages while pulling a load with the stock filter than watch it with any after market filter. If you are seeing the same boost levels the engine is getting the same amount of air. Unless you see a significant decrease in boost levels and an increase in the EGT there is no advantage. Surely no advantage if you are in a dusty area as the piston rings will ware out early from the sand that passes through the K&N. K&Ns are great at the drag strip where you are turning 7,000 RPMs and intend to tear down the engine after each run.

I believe the MAP sensor is looking at the quality of the air, humidity and barometric pressure, rather than the volume of air. Those plus throttle position and air intake temperature combine to define the fuel ratio and thus yor MPG

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 05:11 PM   #9
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE
I believe the MAP sensor is looking at the quality of the air, humidity and barometric pressure, rather than the volume of air. Those plus throttle position and air intake temperature combine to define the fuel ratio and thus yor MPG
MAP sensor is a Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor. It senses the amount of vacuum (or pressure) inside the intake manifold, either by direct sampling (mounted directly on the manifold) or by remote mounting with a vacuum hose running to a port in the manifold. It also extrapolates the barometric pressure based on RPM, engine load, and volume of air sensed by the MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor. The Mass Air Flow sensor uses a heated element to sense the volume of air that passes by it. The more air, the cooler the sensor. The temperature difference is measured using the Air Charge Tempurature sensor mounted upstream of the MAF sensor.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:40 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Having spent almost 40 years in the high performance aftermarket industry, I have to take issue with BillTex on the subject of aftermarket performance parts. Installing a K&N filter is fine. However, installing a K&N filter charger with a cat back exhaust system will provide maximum power and economy. Never forget, an engine is nothing more than an 8 cylinder air pump. Allow more air in via a K&N filter and you have to let more air out via a better exhaust system. There are plenty of quality high performance parts out there for your truck/SUV that will produce power and improve mileage when they're correctly installed. I have K&N filters and/or K&N filter chargers on all my vehicles as well as Petronix ignition systems on my collector cars and hot rods. On the later model model stuff, I installed low restriction mufflers and larger diameter exhaust pipes. BTW, I've installed a number of cold air intakes with the scoops mounted under the front bumper and never had a problem with water getting into the plenums. Seems to me that some of these conditions mentioned above might stem from bench racing after having been over served at the beer tent or user error.
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 05:22 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
No bench racing. Only 36 years as a dealership tech. We had two engines this spring alone with bent rods from water ingestion. One we fixed the other was towed out. Both with puddle sucker cold air intakes. User error, maybe, but look back on some of the peculiar situations you’ve found yourself in while on the road.
The claims of added horsepower by just bolting on a few parts are IMHO bogus. I’m looking at a can of Mass Airflow Cleaner sitting on my box right now that claims "Proven to Gain 4-10 Horsepower at the Wheels!*". (Note the asterisk.) Any gains that may be possible by bolt-ons to a modern car or truck cannot be achieved without reprogramming the software map of the PCM to take advantage of the modification. Now you’ve opened yet another can of worms.
In the turbo diesels we’re talking about, power comes from balancing injection quantity and boost pressure. Neither will be measurably affected by just an air filter.
Free flow cats and fatter exhaust pipes can be argued to add some horsepower but the result on a gas engine is usually a loss of the low-end torque needed when towing.
SEMA and the auto manufactures are often at odds over what is best for any particular vehicle. I think the point should be if you’re a couple hundred miles from home and have a problem you would be better off having the TV as close to stock as possible.
You want OEM parts or a generic equivalent available ASAP and don’t want to risk confounding a mechanic who may have never seen some of these modifications.
Like HowiE said. We’re not at the track. We’re just a bunch people looking to spend what leisure time we can get by going camping. I'll keep things simple.

Tom.

Old 05-21-2008, 07:42 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
I have heard that the stock ACDelco air filters can't be beat for a balance of air flow and filtering for the newer Chevy and GM diesel trucks. On my truck, O7 3500, I left the air filter stock and invested in an after market free flow muffler with larger pipes. I don't have gauges, but using this combination should keep the EGT's low while towing.
Also the K&N filters can be a problem for the MAP when the owners re-oil and spray too much oil on them and as the air gets sucked past the sensor it oil coats the MAP in short order causing problems.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 09:29 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
Two problems with K&N:

- The filter oil contaminates the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor, causing it to read incorrectly and mess up the mixture. Eventually the "check engine light" comes on.

- The higher airflow -> less filtering. The contaminated air can gradually wear out the engine, although at a very slow rate.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:00 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1986 29' Sovereign
Spruce Grove , Alberta
More flow has to have bigger holes and bigger holes will let more dust in.
This dude took the time to prove it; Filtration Testing for Amsoil, K&N, Napa, Jackson Racing, Baldwin, and Mazda air filters on a Miata
hadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 06:11 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
For the record, performance equipment for tow vehicles became hot during the first gas crisis in 1973. Jerry Jardine, Fred Offenhauser, Bruce Crower and Vic Edlebrock, Jr. used race car tow trucks as a test bed for equipment. Remember, a lot of race cars were towed on roll backs or on trailers behind a truck with a camper. As these products were developed, ads in CamperCoachman and TL generate 1000's of responses and 100's of satisfied customers.

I ran a Wrangler through a hub deep stream on Sunday with a K&N filter charger with nary a drop of water in the intake tube. While I respect Tom's opinion, I would point out that every single truck manufacturer, including Toyota, Honda and Nissan, works with SEMA members and the 2009 F-150 has already been set for measurement sessions.

Products we're talking about here are not from J.C. Whitney nor are they sold on late night TV by Billie Mays.

In all honesty, I doubt that the cost benefits of installing high performance equipment on a modern TV would pencil out today. But, the benefits are still there if you want to pay the money and do it right.
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 02:05 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Well said!
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 04:17 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
This is a great article about the aftermarket air filters.

ISO 5011 Duramax Air Filter Test Report
Old 06-30-2008, 12:03 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
what would be the proper way to clean a Duramax Mass Airflow Sensor?
spray it down with electronic tuner cleaner?
should it be touched with a tac cloth when doing this?

anyone know the proper way?

I shoot PJ7 paper filter oil on Fram air filters, and someone told me a couple days ago that would foul my MAS....true? or myth?

AIR # 410
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dsphotoscapes
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 01:39 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
No TV tuner cleaner. They contain a lubricant. Never touch the film or wires inside the sensor housing.
Find a spray can of Mass Airflow Sensor cleaner at the auto parts store. I like the CRC line of products.
If the sensor’s OK and isn’t throwing a code spraying it down generally won’t harm it. Just don’t expect miracles. There seems to be a tipping point from which they don’t recover.
As far as oiling a paper filter I don’t know about the PJ7 oil. I wouldn’t bother for all the reasons previously mentioned. In any case less would be more.

Tom.

Old 07-04-2008, 05:50 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
La Follette , Tennessee
It's my understanding that a diesel engine has a fixed amount of airflow for all power settings. Only fuel is modulated as needed for performance. A clean stock filter should provide the proper airflow and superior filtering.
Jetstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote