Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2024, 11:53 PM   #1

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Just sharing my Hyundai Palisade tow vehicle

Hi, I just wanted to share my latest tow vehicle, A 2021 Hyundai Palisade. This is a 3 row SUV, with a V6 and a 5k towing capacity. It replaces our Ford Flex which had a V6 with twin turbo Ecoboost, which is a hard act to follow as that car was a perfect tow vehicle, but a very expensive ride to maintain. This was our second Ford Flex, and both gave us a lot of problems, so the first criteria for it's replacement was 'No Fords'.

I ended up torn between a Honda Pilot, Toyota Highlander, Kia Telluride/Hyundai Palisade, and Nissan Pathfinder. All V6 3 row SUVs with 5k towing capacity. The Hyundai felt most comfortable for me to drive (I am pretty short), and we found a low milage, completely loaded used one, complete with factory tow pkg.

Are there any others here towing with a Palisade/Telluride? I know this may not be useful to many others, as our trailer is exceptionally small and we travel light. We have a 1968 17' Caravel, and totally loaded for a long trip we came to just under 3k lbs (we hit a CAT scale to confirm last year while on a trip).

So today we hooked the two together and calibrated the brake controller and took it for a drive and I think we are going to be very happy with this setup, even though we will miss the effortless pull of the Ecoboost. As always, we tow on the ball with no WD, and a friction sway control. This is our 21st year with the Caravel, so fingers crossed for many more uneventful trips with this new TV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20240619_155632.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	206.3 KB
ID:	444480  

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2024, 09:22 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
I will say just based on your photo is your back end is squatting too much and you still need to either lighten the load, or use a WDH system to push weight to the front wheels. Especially if the driveway is level as it is parked in the pic.

Vehicles with lower-profile tires like you have in most cases don't tow well because they aren't designed for weight loading. Some tire tech has changed over the years so it may be fine, but you start putting a lot more weight on lower profile tires and you are at risk for snake bite rim tire failure.

The SUV You have is -not- designed for towing, its simply not. It is sprung for comfort, and is squishy in the back. This directly affects the camper's ability to resist sway. And please don't underestimate your small camper size's ability to sway you right off the road into the ditch. It's plenty heavy enough.

It's apparent you need a riser hitch style shank as the camper coupler is high compared to the tow vehicle. I would look at a rear strut/shock upgrade on the vehicle with some nice progressive bilsteins but keep it factory height. But the struts you have are not helping.

If you never exceed 50mph as you have it, you'll probably be fine, but generally thats impractical and rare.

Good luck.
JJTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2024, 10:05 AM   #3
Keys Dave

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Big Torch Key , FL
I have a 2023 Telluride and for the dog and extra space removed all the extra seats, 2ed and 3ed row. This removed about 150 lbs. from the rear that might help with the weight from the hitch. I do have a hitch but don't use it for our AS , I use the truck.
Keys Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2024, 10:10 AM   #4
19í Bambi Flying Cloud

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Airstream Coach - Other
Husqvarnia , Husqvarnia
Congrats!

Iím curious what the payload decal on the driver door jam says? I am a bit surprised at the amount of squat given the trailer only weighs 3K lbs. I think with some tweaking you can improve the set-up and you should be okay.
Old 06-20-2024, 11:40 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
The squat is apparent in your picture. WDH will help move that back to front wheels for control. An easy way to confirm the squat is to measure under your front fender lip to the pavement without your trailer on and then drop the trailer on the ball and remeasure; should be no more than 1/2" difference.

Is yours a FWD or AWD model?
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2024, 01:09 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
The SUV You have is -not- designed for towing,

Good luck.[/QUOTE]

Wondering if itís not designed for towing why would they rate it for 5000 lbs and put a tow hitch on it
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2024, 02:32 PM   #7
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJTX View Post
I will say just based on your photo is your back end is squatting too much and you still need to either lighten the load, or use a WDH system to push weight to the front wheels. Especially if the driveway is level as it is parked in the pic.

Vehicles with lower-profile tires like you have in most cases don't tow well because they aren't designed for weight loading. Some tire tech has changed over the years so it may be fine, but you start putting a lot more weight on lower profile tires and you are at risk for snake bite rim tire failure.

The SUV You have is -not- designed for towing, its simply not. It is sprung for comfort, and is squishy in the back. This directly affects the camper's ability to resist sway. And please don't underestimate your small camper size's ability to sway you right off the road into the ditch. It's plenty heavy enough.

It's apparent you need a riser hitch style shank as the camper coupler is high compared to the tow vehicle. I would look at a rear strut/shock upgrade on the vehicle with some nice progressive bilsteins but keep it factory height. But the struts you have are not helping.

If you never exceed 50mph as you have it, you'll probably be fine, but generally thats impractical and rare.

Good luck.
My bold.

Of course it is designed for towing. There is a factory tow kit, factory wiring, and factory pre wiring for the trailer brake controller. There is also electronic trailer stability control. All of those features were designed in. And they have single purpose, towing.

I myself wouldn't use a WD hitch on a trailer like this under 3000 lbs loaded. I might use a sway control bar depending on how it felt.

If the rear of the tow vehicle is sagging, that may mean that the vehicle doesn't have self levelling rear suspension (the current models have it as standard) or it may mean the vehicle isn't turned on so the levelling hasn't inflated yet. It is a three row SUV, so it is designed to carry a load at the rear of the vehicle. Not necessarily a third row full of passengers back there and also the tongue weight, but if the three rows were fully occupied I would think that the trailer might be a little larger.

Another trip to the scale would confirm axle weights, but it is after all a 17' trailer, and the OP says they travel light.

There is a strong bias against towing with SUVs on the part of some truck owners. This bias is evident in comments like the one above. The OP has been towing this trailer for 21 years now. Just maybe they have a handle on it.

Stephanie: Congratulations, looks great.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2024, 02:41 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
My bold.

Of course it is designed for towing. There is a factory tow kit, factory wiring, and factory pre wiring for the trailer brake controller. There is also electronic trailer stability control. All of those features were designed in. And they have single purpose, towing.
Opinions are abundant on here. But facts are self evident. Few buy a Palisade to tow a travel trailer. And these small/medium SUVs are not designed for towing travel trailers. The end.

ETA: There's a 'strong bias' against using small/mid SUVs for towing because they arent equipped well for the task. I used a 5K rated tow SUV mid range for my 19CB and it was obvious it was not a good idea. Saying the photo looks great is bad advice and encourages others to make poor choices.
Old 06-20-2024, 05:27 PM   #9
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Congrats on the new ride. Finding the right balance between daily driver and occasional tower seems to be the eternal equation.

Specs on your trailer are friendly for a smaller tow vehicle; 2460 lbs and 330 lb tongue weight.

Back in the day Airstream promoted this as accommodations for 6 that a compact car can tow.

Link to brochure: https://www.airstream.com/wp-content...aravel-230.pdf

Not sure where you put 6 people, however....?

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2024, 09:33 AM   #10
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJTX View Post
Ö.There's a 'strong bias' against using small/mid SUVs for towing because they arent equipped well for the task. I used a 5K rated tow SUV mid range for my 19CB and it was obvious it was not a good idea. Saying the photo looks great is bad advice and encourages others to make poor choices.
I had very good results with Volvo, and multiple BMW small/midsize SUVs. The two mid size Ford SUVs were fine, but not as good as the BMWs. The Ford Expedition was also OK, but it was too big, and the body on frame design resulted in poorer handling. Sorry to hear that your SUV didnít work, but there is a proverb that comes to mind about carpenters not blaming their tools. The tool is less important than how it is used. In this case, setup matters.
Old 06-21-2024, 10:10 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
I had very good results with Volvo, and multiple BMW small/midsize SUVs. The two mid size Ford SUVs were fine, but not as good as the BMWs. The Ford Expedition was also OK, but it was too big, and the body on frame design resulted in poorer handling. Sorry to hear that your SUV didnít work, but there is a proverb that comes to mind about carpenters not blaming their tools. The tool is less important than how it is used. In this case, setup matters.
There's another consideration in your comment, JCL...if you have not towed an AS with your "tools" (Volvo, BMW's, other SUV's) how can you make such statements? Understand you "think" you are an expert here, but really, nothing quite like real life experience...especially when folks who have Airstreams are the ones your projecting your philosophy on towing to Airstream owners here. I know and we all see, folks here who tow an AS with Tesla, Porsche, BMW, etc...showing it can be done, but I also know from experience, larger AS's, 25' on up, are much more stable and safer with heavier tow vehicles. Now you may again, not agree, but again, you aren't really talking from experience towing an AS, right?
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 06-21-2024, 10:17 AM   #12
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
There's another consideration in your comment, JCL...if you have not towed an AS with your "tools" (Volvo, BMW's, other SUV's) how can you make such statements? Understand you "think" you are an expert here, but really, nothing quite like real life experience...especially when folks who have Airstreams are the ones your projecting your philosophy on towing to Airstream owners here. I know and we all see, folks here who tow an AS with Tesla, Porsche, BMW, etc...showing it can be done, but I also know from experience, larger AS's, 25' on up, are much more stable and safer with heavier tow vehicles. Now you may again, not agree, but again, you aren't really talking from experience towing an AS, right?
If two different trailers have similar weights, dimensions, side areas, frontal areas, and so on, then the experience of towing them is similar in my experience. The nameplate has less to do with it. If anything I would give the edge to the Airstream with its rounded corners, so my experience with a more square trailer is a tougher test.

Your comment on towing an Airstream over 25' is noted, but what does that have to do with this thread, which is about an Airstream with a loaded weight under 3000 lbs, as confirmed by a scale? Next someone will chime in and recommend using a pickup truck for a small light trailer. Or perhaps they already did?

Before someone chimes in with a recommendation to buy what they did (larger, heavier) because of 'the next Airstream may be larger' note that the OP has been towing this trailer for 21 years. Maybe, just maybe, they know what they are doing.

This thread is about a long time Airstream owner sharing what their new vehicle is. We should be happy for them. Instead, we read about how they are doing it wrong and making poor decisions. That doesn't seem to fit with the credo of this site.
Old 06-22-2024, 08:58 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
If two different trailers have similar weights, dimensions, side areas, frontal areas, and so on, then the experience of towing them is similar in my experience. The nameplate has less to do with it. If anything I would give the edge to the Airstream with its rounded corners, so my experience with a more square trailer is a tougher test.

Your comment on towing an Airstream over 25' is noted, but what does that have to do with this thread, which is about an Airstream with a loaded weight under 3000 lbs, as confirmed by a scale? Next someone will chime in and recommend using a pickup truck for a small light trailer. Or perhaps they already did?

Before someone chimes in with a recommendation to buy what they did (larger, heavier) because of 'the next Airstream may be larger' note that the OP has been towing this trailer for 21 years. Maybe, just maybe, they know what they are doing.

This thread is about a long time Airstream owner sharing what their new vehicle is. We should be happy for them. Instead, we read about how they are doing it wrong and making poor decisions. That doesn't seem to fit with the credo of this site.
Again, an SOB is not an Airstream...your right however; having information from Airstream Owners fits on this site. Learning from experienced Airstream Owners is why most of us watch this site. Even experienced Airstream Owners make decisions that we all want to understand logic. Getting the wrong TV as an example, can happen to anyone who does not understand limits of MFG, payload, etc... I drove my first 2 25's without understanding my Tahoe's and then my F150 was overloaded on payload...I am sure, I was/am not, the only person here who did not understand, which is why you see others here alerting and wanting to know more about that particular TV before perhaps, the owner makes a decision that could cause an accident with his AS...Hope you understand...it's not that you can't "tow" an Airstream with just about any vehicle...it's understanding that your overloaded perhaps, before something bad happens....to an Airstream owner.
Old 06-22-2024, 10:48 AM   #14
Keys Dave

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Big Torch Key , FL
As I said several posts back, at least try to remove the third row seat. It's at least 100 lbs. and takes up a lot of space. In our Telluride it was only about 6 bolts if I remember correctly. You will want two people as it is unwieldy to maneuver it out.
Keys Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2024, 02:22 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
Quote:
I

Everyone can -clearly- see the back is squatting on the tow vehicle.

Not addressing it for fear of hurting someones feelings would be irrational and members would be negligent in their duty to not say something about it and offer some advice, which was all that was happening here.

Nobody was rude or attacking the OP so I think your concerns about the posts and this websites 'credo' is misplaced.
Old 06-25-2024, 08:41 PM   #16

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
If the rear of the tow vehicle is sagging, that may mean that the vehicle doesn't have self levelling rear suspension (the current models have it as standard) or it may mean the vehicle isn't turned on so the levelling hasn't inflated yet.
I didn't realize I had signed up for 'Roast My Ride', but now that I'm back from our first trip, I will say that that picture did not do it justice, and jcl was the most accurate. I had not driven the combo yet when I snapped that pic, and the self-levelling rear end had not done it's thing (it pumps itself up as you drive over the first few blocks). When levelled, it was actually level. And I did end up using the friction sway control, and it towed fine.

My only issue was what I was afraid of, which is that having the Ecoboost engine in the Flex has spoiled me with gobs of smooth, effortless power. But this car was doing just fine, if with a little more effort. It's a real 'Nanny' though, watching the lanes and giving very subtle steering input to keep you centered, not letting you move without buckling up your seatbelt and closing all the doors (annoying when hooking/unhooking), and the blind spot sensors seem to think the trailer is an obstacle and beep a warning when changing lanes while it is hooked up.

Otherwise it was a good first trip of the season, almost everything in the trailer worked, and what didn't I fixed in my spare time at camp, and had a nice trip.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2024, 07:25 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Steph; almost all posts on the Forum are going to result in a "Roast my .........". The ? is, will you be raw, rare or well done.

............. could be tires, hitch, TV etc.
MJ
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote