Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-17-2022, 12:01 PM   #201
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
One of the things I noticed that made me want to try a Tesla was that the owners picking up trailers with them had no concern about range. That continues to be the case anyone with one doesn't see it as a major concern.

For now the only electric I would consider is a Tesla since they have a well established charging network that can take you across the country. Something I plan to do this summer if Covid cooperates.

Tesla has a factory that does nothing but build superchargers so they are adding them quite quickly.

Our friends have 200 acres of bush on a lake north of here with no power, the closest supercharger on the way there was 80 miles away so a little too far for a round trip. 2 years ago when I went there I gave the neighbor in the farm across the road a bottle of wine and plugged into their barn. My alternative was to drive 30 miles out of my way to another supercharger. However now there is a new supercharger on my way 35 miles away so problem solved.

My last tow vehicle was a 500 horse supercharged Jag XJ. Three years ago I was waiting for the next generation one when Jag announced it was going to be electric instead of gas. I thought why would they do that? Then I got the Model 3 and realized that once people drove electric they were not going back to gas, hence the new Model S about to get a hitch.

https://supercharge.info/map

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 09:13 PM   #202
4 Rivet Member

Here and There , West Coast
Airstream EStream can park itself with app & has a 300 mile range helping TV.
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/airs...210000992.html
DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 10:09 PM   #203
Lefty Rick

1986 25' Sovereign
Applegate , California
Following
RickT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 08:46 AM   #204
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
Yeah, it matters. If as you say it's a hard ban, then setting the cut off for only eight years from now might well create an impossible to meet mandate.

When I read through the link it looked like 2035 was the goal, which might be doable. Might.

Making the needed infrastructure improvements before 2030 though, not so doable, especially for those without the resources necessary. Also, with the currently available BEVs anyone buying a new car will be facing high purchase price and severe limitations on traveling, not something which makes it an easy sale. This will only further drive up the cost of used cars and put them more out of reach for many.

Nothing like impossible to meet mandates to have a court declare it an over reach.
All it takes is an election to change these bans. A lot can happen in 8 years. I predict the tide will turn and these bans will go away.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 08:52 AM   #205
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbo View Post
Considering that this is the Airstream (you know, travel trailers) forum and we are concerned with recharging a BEV while traveling away from home, this particular point is meaningless for purposes of this discussion.

If I am stuck in the boonies with a dead battery and no charger, it doesn't matter to me that 99.99999999% of other people are charging in their garage.
The battery doesn’t just “die”. There is a predicted range and you know what it is before you leave the driveway. It doesn’t just “happen”. I doubt the average person who vacations with a travel trailer can manage this however. EVERYONE I know who has an EV, myself included, never even comes close to being stranded.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 01:40 PM   #206
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Frederick , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
All it takes is an election to change these bans. A lot can happen in 8 years. I predict the tide will turn and these bans will go away.
As for infrastructure bill, there was about $7.5B recently allocated by Congress for charger installation.
DewTheDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 08:10 PM   #207
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
Talk about resurrecting a zombie thread! This thread died over a year ago.
Bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 09:22 AM   #208
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Airstream EStream can park itself with app & has a 300 mile range helping TV.
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/airs...210000992.html
Yea? Who owns one of these...love to get his input!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 09:27 AM   #209
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
The battery doesn’t just “die”. There is a predicted range and you know what it is before you leave the driveway. It doesn’t just “happen”. I doubt the average person who vacations with a travel trailer can manage this however. EVERYONE I know who has an EV, myself included, never even comes close to being stranded.
How many of those folks "you know" are towing a TT? Surely, you have encountered challenges finding a charging station without towing...now imagine the reality of a highway traffic jam, you didn't expect...with no "charging" stations near...do you just call AAA?

Not many of us are ready for reality of this with a family trip including the AS. Least I am not...
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 12:37 PM   #210
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
We have 52 customers towing with Tesla’s so it is more common than you might think.
Tesla is adding chargers very quickly. I towed to Key west and back in Late November to early Dec. once in Georgia there are chargers every 40-50 miles and most are V3 so 20-30 minute charge every 80-100 miles.
We drove from Orlando to London in two days. Hard to do any better in a gas car.

This is the Colorado trip detail.

https://www.canamrv.ca/blog/post/tes...rado-and-back/

Andy

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 12:50 PM   #211
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Frederick , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
How many of those folks "you know" are towing a TT? Surely, you have encountered challenges finding a charging station without towing...now imagine the reality of a highway traffic jam, you didn't expect...with no "charging" stations near...do you just call AAA?

Not many of us are ready for reality of this with a family trip including the AS. Least I am not...
Actually, Gypsy, I do not believe that range is significantly impacted by a traffic jam in EVs
DewTheDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 03:36 PM   #212
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post

Many newer models of EVs (Ford Lightning, recent Kia's, and the future Silverado EV for examples) have reverse charging, any of which could give another EV a charge and yes AAA and other road assist companies do have mobile charging equipment.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 03:51 PM   #213
4 Rivet Member

2023 27' Globetrotter
Williamsburg , Virginia
I'd be curious to know how many charging stations can easily accommodate a trailer rig...do you have to detach to get your TV to the charging station? If so, that seems pretty time-consuming plus the time to charge. Just curious.
AgBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 03:59 PM   #214
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgBullet View Post
I'd be curious to know how many charging stations can easily accommodate a trailer rig...do you have to detach to get your TV to the charging station? If so, that seems pretty time-consuming plus the time to charge. Just curious.
Take a look at Andy's trip report for London to Colorado and back, just above. 41 charges. He disconnected the trailer for 9 of them. Lots more detail in the trip report.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote