RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 12-05-2020, 06:03 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
June 2020 build GMC...

Well, we sold our 16í Bambi this year and placed an order for a 2021 Globetrotter 25 that will be pushed out of the factory next Monday the 7th.
I was driving a lovely Audi Q7 that towed our 16í easily enough but... I wanted a truck again for the 25. So, I went shopping...
Not having any real brand allegiance and having owned a 2010 Ford F-150 and a 2016 Ram 2500 Diesel, I decided to see what GMC could do.
I ended up finding a beautiful 2020 GMC Denali 2500 with the Duramax and the new 10 speed transmission just 10 miles from our home. I drove it and said... ďIím in!Ē, I took it home later that day.
I owned an automotive business before I retired so Iíve seen a lot. Iíve also owned many vehicles... including more than my share of new ones.
I essentially believe that most new designs are very good. The state of the automobile industry is vastly superior to what it was even 20 years ago.
Anyway, I donít get too worked up with little issues, I just get them corrected.

So, now I am driving a new loaded GMC, my first. Imagine my surprise when the infotainment system refused to work reliably with my iPhone. This is the year 2020, I thought this was just supposed to work but it was really, really bad. It sometimes worked as it should but about 60% of the time it simply locked up or did really strange things. Then to make matters worse, there was no way to reboot it without shutting the truck off, opening the door and waiting 2 minutes to restart. Then it might work again.
GM was aware of the issue and been promising a software fix for much of the model year so I just decided to wait it out.
Next I realized that the cool Z-71 off-road suspension and snow plow prep heavy duty front springs were really stiff! So stiff that I began to wonder if Iíd made a mistake...
Finally, I slowly became aware of a number of rattles in the truck. Something in the rear was making noise, the doors themselves thunked over bumps and I was thinking to myself... wow...
So, I took a ride sitting in the rear seat and found that the rear seat head rests weíre making noise. I removed them and the noise went away.
I decided to adjust the doors myself to see if I could make them quieter. No luck at first but I finally began figuring it out. I finally got them perfectly quiet!
The dealer replaced the sockets that hold the head rests and they were now quiet. As I put mileage on the truck I began to notice that the suspension was feeling better. Was I imagining things? Nope, my 88 year old mother in law asked if Iíd done something to the truck as it was feeling better to her too.
Finally the promised software update for the infotainment system was released and lo and behold, it began working reliably (for the most part...)
A clunky steering shaft noise was corrected and all of the sudden the truck felt good. Really good!
Now with 4 months and some 5500 miles on it, the truck is finally reaching the state of being Iíd hoped for when I purchased it. The suspension is stiff but it is really nice. No bounce over big bumps no noise and it feels great.
The Navigation system is a very nice refinement of the typical in vehicle navigation Iíve had for 15 years with awesome updates that I always missed. For example, while putting in a destination, you can see what side of the road it will be on! No more waiting until the last second to try and get to the correct lane.
Then there is the heads up display. It is a very nice piece of technology that puts important information right in front of you!
Finally, I would be remiss if I did not mention the best part of this truck, the driving dynamics. Now I understand why GM insists on independent front suspension. It makes driving this big truck much more ďcar likeĒ. It just steers well. My Ram always felt a little dead, not bad, just not like this..
Finally, the drive train... WOW, all I can say is wow. The engine is quiet, smooth and very powerful. The transmission? This is simply the nicest shifting automatic transmission I have ever owned, including the Audi. It is always in a perfect gear. It is smooth, it feels good, it has zero of the mushy feel that the Ram 6 speed did and I am simply blown away with how nice it is.
Not that I need it but this thing is actually fast too. 0 to 60 is something like 6.5 seconds...Yikes!

The point of this post is that even with my background in the business, I was a little unprepared for the number of strange and weird little failures this truck experienced. None of them would have prevented me from driving anywhere but I just was not expecting them. And who would have believed that the suspension needed time to break in??? I certainly never knew any previous vehicle that had the suspension change so dramatically over the first 2000 miles.

My wife and I took a long drive yesterday. We left her SQ5 and drove the truck. It was delightful! Iím sure that this will be one of the great vehicles in my life...
Glad I didnít panic! Maybe it is all normal in a very strange year...
Old 12-05-2020, 06:10 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
New River , Arizona
Wait until you tow with it. The camera system tow settings exhaust brake. Youíll love it.
Old 12-05-2020, 06:13 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny4Sawx View Post
Wait until you tow with it. The camera system tow settings exhaust brake. You’ll love it.
I already love it... the exhaust brake is awesome just driving in the hills without the trailer!
I purchased the trailer camera too...
Old 12-05-2020, 11:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
June 2020 build GMC...

Congrats on your purchase - that truck will give you many years of reliable service and will tow any airstream of any size without issue.

I have a Denali 2500 as well. Also have a Tesla for comparison when it comes to in-car software and visual / vehicle controls...

GM, Ford and most manufacturers for that matter simply suck with software. Iíve had 2 range rovers and they sucked too for the most part. The 2021 Cadillac suv is getting better when it comes to in car screens.... for the record the infotainment system on the GMC trucks is somewhat of a joke and the screen is only slightly larger than the iPhone screen itself. GM is 10 years behind here in 2020. I donít understand why, I guess they are just too bureaucratic and slow to move along with the consumer electronics market. Glad youíre iPhone is working.

The snowplow prep - they simply crank on the front torsion bars at the factory I believe. Just need to reduce the tension by adjusting the keys - takes 10 or 15 minutes or so. The oem tires are pretty stiff too. I moved to BFG and it made a world of difference - I run at 55 front / 50 in the rear when not towing. Proper inflation to match actual axle weights unloaded makes a big difference.

My truck doesnít really rattle. But then again itís a big 10,000 lb steel brick with stiff suspension rolling down the road so a ton of vibration is moved through the vehicle at any given time. Independent suspension or not if doesnít drive anything like a car, suv or even 1/2 ton. Itís a commercial work truck and most definitely handles like one

The L5P is a great power plant and runs cleaner than the LML and previous generation duramax power plants when it comes to knocking down NOX pollutants and soot coming out of the tail pipe which contributes to smog and a bunch of other crappy outcomes. I am a full believer in applying all the tech possible to control emissions. The L5P puts out more power with less pollutants than older deleted obnoxious diesel coal rolling trucks of yesteryear.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 05:53 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
.... for the record the infotainment system on the GMC trucks is somewhat of a joke and the screen is only slightly larger than the iPhone screen itself.

The snowplow prep - they simply crank on the front torsion bars at the factory I believe. Just need to reduce the tension by adjusting the keys - takes 10 or 15 minutes or so.

Independent suspension or not if doesnít drive anything like a car, suv or even 1/2 ton. Itís a commercial work truck and most definitely handles like one
So, I do not actually mind the screen size. My Audi had the cool dash that turned into a Nav screen and although it was beautiful, it was kind of gimmicky... I do find it amazing that in this day and age, manufacturers have difficulty supporting this kind of software. That seems just...wrong.

I never considered that the torsion bars might be cranked up!
I will have to think about that a bit. Like I said in my post, the truck has settled into a very tight but very nice place now with its suspension. I kind of like it...
You made me laugh when you called me out on the car like driving. Of course it is a truck! The steering is however way nicer than any HD truck I have ever driven. Letís just say that it tracks like a car? It is way nicer to steer than the Ram was.
Old 12-06-2020, 08:20 AM   #6

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

We traded our 2018 Silverado Duramax for a 2020 back in march. We usually keep a tow vehicle much longer but we really wanted the new camera system. We got the "Transparent Trailer Camera". This is game changing technology.

Here is a shot of the truck screen "looking through" Lucy.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200913_121800.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	265.8 KB
ID:	384379  
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 10:25 AM   #7
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
Nice truck - I have the same rear camera view from the rear camera on the AS and it was $45,000.00 cheaper
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 07:24 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
New Hudson , Michigan
Congrats on the truck, I got an AT4 in the spring and just got back from towing my 30ft FC Bunk from Michigan to Florida and back, absolutely love the way it handles, almost scary that you don't really feel the trailer back there behind these things. Hopefully you sprung the $50 for the trailer tire pressure monitor kit! I love that I can easily monitor the trailer tire pressure and temps right from my dash! I had to take the trailer into discount tire to have them mounted (the sensors are part of the valve stems).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	96712719_178176740100646_6524585686660546560_n (1).jpg
Views:	16
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	384516  
ekbruster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 07:36 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekbruster View Post
Congrats on the truck, I got an AT4 in the spring and just got back from towing my 30ft FC Bunk from Michigan to Florida and back, absolutely love the way it handles, almost scary that you don't really feel the trailer back there behind these things. Hopefully you sprung the $50 for the trailer tire pressure monitor kit! I love that I can easily monitor the trailer tire pressure and temps right from my dash! I had to take the trailer into discount tire to have them mounted (the sensors are part of the valve stems).
This truck came with them in a bag. Whoever ordered it at the dealer went a little nuts... I think it may well have everything!
Colonial will install them before we pick up the trailer.
Old 12-08-2020, 12:41 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekbruster View Post
We love being able to monitor the temp and pressure in our 2019 Silverado ... but moved down from a 3/4 to a 1/2 ... loving it as you are. Our truck came with four sensors and salesman got us another four; so, we monitor both the AS and our horse trailer. Great info from the app.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote