Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-31-2020, 04:16 PM   #1
Djg

Burke , Virginia
Jeep Wrangler - Tow Vehicle

I am new to all of this and looking for a trailer and a tow vehicle. The Jeep Wrangler is appealing, except for its 3,500lb rating. I have seen references to the Wrangler being able to tow more if I change the hitch. Looking for input as to what a reasonable tow weight would be if I upgraded the hitch system and if it would increase more if I got the diesel. I will not buy on these recommendations and will continue to consult but looking for ideas.
Djg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 04:39 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
The Gladiator version of the Wrangler can tow a lighter trailer; but an actual Wrangler, I don’t think I’d even tow a Nest with it... maybe a Basecamp... but if you’re wanting a more traditional Airstream, starting with the 16’ Bambi or anything bigger, a Wrangler wouldn’t be what I’d pick.

Good luck,
WBCCI #1051
LNBright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 08:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
Don’t push the tow limits, especially on a short wheelbase TV. Just don’t. You will not enjoy camping at all, if you are worried about just getting there safely. If you don’t have those kind of thoughts, think about whomever you might find in front of your five tons of hurtling metal (like, me and my wife).
There are about a hundred threads on this subject, so you really don’t need to have the (often vociferous) experts repeat what they know. It’s already out there, in excruciating detail. And for towing, details matter.
Are you looking for iconic? A small A-S trailer with a Gladiator (spec’ed for towing, up to 7200# I believe) may work. You’ll even have a pickup bed for the smelly stuff that goes with camping (grill, generator, fishing gear, etc...)
If you are completely new to the scene, consider a rental to get a better feel for what’s involved.
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 07:34 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
We have setup many jeeps and I have towed myself with one a 1000 miles.

Are you thinking the Wrangler Unlimited (4 door) and which Airstream do you have?

If connected properly they are about the best combination of off road and towing capability. If you’re not looking to go off road there are better tow vehicle choices.

If you would like some more detailed info on how to hitch one correctly feel free to email me andy@canamrv.ca

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5611.jpg
Views:	803
Size:	583.0 KB
ID:	385920

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 08:09 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Djg, you'd have to have a good rationale for deviating from Chrysler's engineering guidance. The wrangler towing combinations are not particularly stable and Chrysler engineers are quite aware of this as they have tested it extensively. The receivers capacity matches the vehicle's capability so stiffening up the receiver does noting to make the vehicle a better and more stable tow vehicle. I have not seen anything to indicate the vehicle can be made to safely tow trailers much larger than 3500 lb without risking possibility of sway and jackknife. It's true many people have successfully put larger trailers behind a Wangler and towed them without incident, but you can do this with nearly any vehicle if you're an experienced driver, set the trailer up correctly, and avoid letting the trailer deviate much from the tow vehicle track. The problems come in if the driver overreacts or otherwise lets the trailer get off track by more than a couple degrees. At this point, trailer inertia will push laterally on the rear of the vehicle causing tire slip and oversteer leading to loss of control.

If you're willing to take that risk, okay. If someone tells you its fine, ask them how the Chrysler engineers got it wrong and ask for data showing the combination won't have difficulty with oversteer and sway. Tests for sway and oversteer are not difficult, but if all they do is drive around the roads or a track, they'll never know if the vehicle has the ability to pull the trailer back into alignment if it gets a bit sideways. Capable vehicles will pull the trailer back and more importantly will continue to respond to driver input so the combination does not go out of control.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 08:44 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post

Are you thinking the Wrangler Unlimited (4 door) and which Airstream do you have?

If connected properly they are about the best combination of off road and towing capability. If you’re not looking to go off road there are better tow vehicle choices.

If you would like some more detailed info on how to hitch one correctly feel free to email me andy@canamrv.ca

Attachment 385920
Andy, you're well-respected because you've helped explain to so many people how their non-pickup truck is great for towing, and I agree, people don't have to have a pickup to be their tow vehicle.

A Wrangler Unlimited has a towing limit of 3500lbs. The manufacturer says, don't tow more than that with it. The 16' Bambi has a maximum capacity of 3500lbs gross. Any Airstream bigger than a 16' Bambi is too large for a Wrangler Unlimited to tow within the United States according to Jeep.

Canada, I don't know their laws, I suppose it's legal there.

And, you might get away towing something larger for awhile. But if you get into an accident, and have been towing with something larger than your vehicle is rated for, I wouldn't want to be the person explaining to the trooper that the Canadian dealer said it was legal.

The Gladiator, depending on how you spec it, can tow 7650lbs. That's more believable that you can have something go offroad, and also tow.

Djg, do the research, look at the specs for the vehicles you're interested in, look at the weights for the Airstream you're interested in, and know how much stuff you want to bring along, as far as payloads go. Good luck.
WBCCI #1051
LNBright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 09:03 AM   #7
ZOZ
3 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Peru , Illinois
Try Something More Robust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djg View Post
I am new to all of this and looking for a trailer and a tow vehicle. The Jeep Wrangler is appealing, except for its 3,500lb rating. I have seen references to the Wrangler being able to tow more if I change the hitch. Looking for input as to what a reasonable tow weight would be if I upgraded the hitch system and if it would increase more if I got the diesel. I will not buy on these recommendations and will continue to consult but looking for ideas.
Our family has had a Jeep Wrangler since 1979. We currently have a 2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 10th Anniversary. I never considered it a towing vehicle with 3500# max towing capacity. When I got my GMC Canyon which has a towing capacity of 7000# then bought AS 23FB @ 6000#, I upgraded the Canyon to a full sized GMC half ton when I took delivery of the AS. You can never have too much truck towing capacity.

zoz
ZOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 09:09 AM   #8
Dr. Dean

2024 25' Trade Wind
Daniel Island , South Carolina
We have a F 250 2021 new to town our Flying Cloud 2021
Dr. Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 09:52 AM   #9
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
I will never understand why people want to exceed the manufacturer's recommendation risking their life and and mine on the road, let alone the liability question. We had a H3 which we loved to drive but it only towed 4500# let alone the hitch weight limitations. Towing capacity is only a small amount in the determination of the correct tow vehicle. There is cargo, hitch weight, type of travel (mountains or flat land) etc. And I really don't care what "experts" say - if the Vehicle specs don't recommend it - don't do it .. save MY life on the road please.
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 09:58 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
Quote:

Attachment 385920
If there is ANY opinion to listen to, it is Andy’s.
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 10:06 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Quartz Hill , California
Never push the limits of your TV. You won't be happy with the result. Remember not only do you need to pull the trailer, you need to be able to safely stop it. How does it react when passed by 18 wheelers on the Interstate. What is the payload capacity of the Wrangler? Things that need consideration also.
greenflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 10:07 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by banderabob View Post
It depends on who you trust. The guy who sets up hundreds of these types of vehicles a year or some guy sitting in his armchair. My money is on the guy who sets up these vehicles on a daily basis.
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 10:21 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
... and certainly not the engineers who work for the auto manufacturers.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 10:22 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
I think we should ban all future tow vehicle threads. Cause it always comes to believe the manufacture and it’s ratings or Andy at Can-Am knows more and do what he says.

Pick your poison...

I know what my choice would be
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 10:23 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Quote:
IDK, who would you say knows best the limits of a Jeep Wangler, the automotive engineers and technicians who designed and thoroughly tested the vehicle for performance and stability or the owner of a trailer and hitch dealer?

This is not a contest between hitch installers and people who post anonymously on the internet. It is between hitch installers plus the mostly nontechnical customers who claim they know better and the manufacturers team of experts. But curiously, they never bring any objective data to support their claims. Andy won't perform the tests that would demonstrate that the overloaded combinations are stable against sway and oversteer. He has been known to dismisses industry standard tests as invalid despite the multitudes of engineers who endorse them.
Old 01-01-2021, 10:24 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by gator.bigfoot View Post
It depends on who you trust. The guy who sets up hundreds of these types of vehicles a year or some guy sitting in his armchair. My money is on the guy who sets up these vehicles on a daily basis.
Must be a cushy job for the auto industry engineers. I didn’t realize they get arm chairs and don’t have to work daily.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 11:07 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
I can’t understand how the new wranglers has such a low towing rating.

My dad has a 2019 wrangler with a 3500 limit. Years ago he had a 1999 Chevy Blazer with the same 3500lb rating!
I know they are very different vehicles but In 20 years no improvements have been made to SUV’s that would improve the towing capacity?

The wrangler has better brakes and tires, a longer wheel base, more gears, more horsepower, abs and traction control. How is this not a more capable vehicle than the blazer?
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 11:13 AM   #18
JEB
2 Rivet Member

2021 23' Globetrotter
Northern , Illinois
Quote:

Attachment 385920
I have read many good things over the years about CanAm and the high quality work it does to improve the towing capabilities of a great many vehicles. But one thing has always concerned me: How do you deal with the fact that, no matter how much work you do, the manufacturer’s vehicle loading placard remains the same? The GVWR, for example, remains unchanged? This is not a rhetorical question. I’d really like to know the answer. I am greatly concerned that if a trooper pulls you over, or you get in an accident, you may be in strict liability territory for towing overloaded no matter how good your work is. I remain skeptical that the trooper, insurance adjuster or plaintiff’s lawyer is really going to care. If my skepticism is unfounded, great. Please explain to me why.
JEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 11:14 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Plenty of improvements to SUV's, some of the best now have 8600 lb towing limits. The Jeep is an Icon that has not undergone refinements that would improve towing capacity. If they did, it would look a lot like the Gladiator.....
Old 01-01-2021, 12:00 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Mesquite , Nevada
No tow with wrangler

Wheel base and width make a Jeep wrangler a terrible tow vehicle. It is not sprung for payload, rather for axle articulation over rough terrain. Mileage is poor without a trailer. Wranglers are not good road vehicles, they were not built to be. I know this because I have owned two, one for 20 years - I love them but not for towing. Even a Gladiator with max tow package can only tow 7200#. You can only spec the max tow package on a Sport model which is plain otherwise and limited on options.
Ken G is offline   Reply With Quote