Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2021, 10:28 AM   #81
2 Rivet Member

Cincinnati , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB View Post
I have read many good things over the years about CanAm and the high quality work it does to improve the towing capabilities of a great many vehicles. But one thing has always concerned me: How do you deal with the fact that, no matter how much work you do, the manufacturer’s vehicle loading placard remains the same? The GVWR, for example, remains unchanged? This is not a rhetorical question. I’d really like to know the answer. I am greatly concerned that if a trooper pulls you over, or you get in an accident, you may be in strict liability territory for towing overloaded no matter how good your work is. I remain skeptical that the trooper, insurance adjuster or plaintiff’s lawyer is really going to care. If my skepticism is unfounded, great. Please explain to me why.
We’ve said it to the point of making folks nauseous. Ignore the mfg limits at your own peril. Sorry Andy - unless you are offering an indemnity rider with the purchase of your work, and you’ll cover the loss in the event that there is a loss that a persons liability insurance won’t cover due to then operating a vehicle beyond the manufacturers specs, buying beware as you are on the hook for the liability and dollars involved. I’m not picking on our friends up north - they have built a business modifying peoples vehicles to handle loads that the manufacturers didn’t intend in their designs. I’ve never seen their sales contracts but dollars to donuts there is a beefy indemnification clause in there where buyers assumes all of the risks of operating the to be modified vehicle. Andy’s insurance would not likely provide them liability coverage without that language - and it is probably iron clad tough. So tow what you want with what you want. Just don’t try to suggest you weren’t warned if the wheels come off the proverbial wagon.
jwpaquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 10:40 AM   #82

1989 25' Excella
Newmarket , Ontario
Towing with....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post
We have setup many jeeps and I have towed myself with one a 1000 miles.

Are you thinking the Wrangler Unlimited (4 door) and which Airstream do you have?

If connected properly they are about the best combination of off road and towing capability. If you’re not looking to go off road there are better tow vehicle choices.

If you would like some more detailed info on how to hitch one correctly feel free to email me andy@canamrv.ca

Attachment 385920
Lol. I was just about to recommend you based on articles I've read about some of the unexpected vehicles you have rigged up to tow Airstreams, from minivans to Jaguars.
nnovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 10:42 AM   #83

2013 20' Flying Cloud
2017 28' Tommy Bahama
Holmen , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djg View Post
I am new to all of this and looking for a trailer and a tow vehicle. The Jeep Wrangler is appealing, except for its 3,500lb rating. I have seen references to the Wrangler being able to tow more if I change the hitch. Looking for input as to what a reasonable tow weight would be if I upgraded the hitch system and if it would increase more if I got the diesel. I will not buy on these recommendations and will continue to consult but looking for ideas.
Just get that idea out of your mind
jmchenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 11:07 AM   #84
2 Rivet Member

manchaca , Texas
Andy did not say whether he had "towed 1000 miles" with an AS 28' or a 16" Bambi. Until we find out what capacity towing he supports for the Wrangler we cannot know what he is advocating.
labans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 11:13 AM   #85

1967 26' Overlander
Raton , New Mexico
A small detour. Suggestions for an alternate TV that is competent off road. Grand Cherokee, the new Telluride, Land Cruiser, Explorer, Canyon, Ranger, Land Rover. Must be something that approaches the Jeep on the trail and tows better.
shiny tub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 11:48 AM   #86
2 Rivet Member

2021 20' Basecamp
South Easton , MA
I have a Grand Cherokee v6 diesel. although the tow capacity is like 6800 \ 7200 lbs you have to also consider the tongue weight of the trailer and how it will effect your cargo carrying ability.. with that, even with the grand Cherokee I have to travel light, it has a 1250lbs cargo capacity and between my girlfriend and I that is almost 400 lbs right there, without additinal passengers... I will be towing the new basecamp 20 which weights in at 3500 w tongue weight of 535lbs.. this forum has spoken and recommended both WD w anti sway and brake controller to accompany it. I could trade in for a truck, but then I would lose the fuel efficiency of the diesel jeep when I'm not towing, which is the majority of time even if I'm camping. I am not one to stay in the campground much, at least not till the sun goes down. I like to explore the area where ever I go. Everyone is different, and everyone has different tastes, the smaller trailers are lighter to tow and easier to maneuver but they don't have full bath set ups, they have the wet bath.. i will have a better opinion of my own choice soon enough still waiting on delivery.
kgottleib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 12:37 PM   #87
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
the tongue will be about 600 loaded for camping, with WD you get 100 back so you'll have a bout 300-350 for gear. Not a lot but doable. Pay attention to setup and you'll have a nice combination for the lighter packing camper. Me? we usually bring about 700 lbs of gear.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 06:21 AM   #88
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
We towed a 19’ Bambi with a Toyota Tacoma. Had higher rated tires on it, which helped for towing as well as off roading. The Tacoma is a very capable off roader. A shell on the back helped with storage. When we switched to a 23, we switched to a Tundra, not as capable off road, but handled the 23 easily.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 08:28 AM   #89
2 Rivet Member

2019 23' International
Jensen Beach , Florida
We tow our 23FB with a Dodge Durango R/T 4WD, 7200 lb tow cap. It works excellently and we like it as an alternative to a pickup.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3029-23FB+TV-Gold-Hd-St-Pk copy.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	595.0 KB
ID:	386473  
HClews is offline   Reply With Quote