Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2021, 12:13 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Volente , Texas
If it hasn't been mentioned, the towing limits for a Wrangler Unlimited ALSO mention a maximum frontal area of 32 square feet for the trailer. Pretty much anything but a teardrop or pop up will exceed this.
Old 01-01-2021, 12:40 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2020 23' International
Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djg View Post
I am new to all of this and looking for a trailer and a tow vehicle. The Jeep Wrangler is appealing, except for its 3,500lb rating. I have seen references to the Wrangler being able to tow more if I change the hitch. Looking for input as to what a reasonable tow weight would be if I upgraded the hitch system and if it would increase more if I got the diesel. I will not buy on these recommendations and will continue to consult but looking for ideas.
What size is the trailer that you're considering? That might be a good place to start in your search for tow vehicles. For example, if you're looking for a 27-footer, then your tow vehicle options are different than if you're looking for a 16-footer.

Which tow vehicles are you considering? Obviously Jeeps, but what else? Are you looking for an SUV, or would you consider a truck? How will you use your trailer, and what is your camping style? Do you plan to bring lots of toys/cargo/gear with you? Will you tow and camp close to home, or will you be spending time towing on interstate highways? How often will you tow with this vehicle? Will you use this vehicle as a daily driver when you aren't towing? If so, what do you need for that purpose?

Every tow vehicle choice and every trailer choice involves tradeoffs. For example, if you choose a truck as your tow vehicle, you are prioritizing towing and hauling ability, and you're trading that for ease of parking, fuel economy when not towing, etc. Ultimately, you have to decide what to prioritize and what will best suit your needs and provide you with a good, safe towing experience as well as a vehicle that you can live with when you're not towing.

For me personally, the choice was easy. I happily drive my truck when I'm not towing, and I'm happy to drive it when I am towing. It's comfortable, it fits in my garage, it has all the creature comforts that I want or need, and it tows my Airstream beautifully. Towing a camper with something other than a truck would require compromises that I'm not willing to make. But that's just my opinion.

Good luck with your search!

2020 International Serenity 23 FB "Sparkle Plenty"
2018 GMC Denali 1500 Crew Cab 4x4
Airstream Club International #2805
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 01:25 PM   #23
Djg

Burke , Virginia
Tow Vehicle

Thanks for all the responses so far. To answer some of the questions, at this point I do not know exactly what I am doing or where I am going with this path or exploration. I do not own a tow vehicle or camper at this point and simply starting to explore. I would consider a pickup or larger truck. I have recently disposed of my older Chevy 1500 4door 4x4 pickup up with the V8 6 liter engine. My choices are more around options and flexibility.

The wrangler is appealing as a vehicle on its own and I like the touch top and its off road capabilities. I am not looking at the larger trailers. I am looking at either a basecamp or shorter trailer. I am also exploring having someone custom build a vehicle for me and converting a trailer into a vehicle. Very early in the process of gathering information and research.

I do suspect that most manufacturer ratings are lower than true capabilities from a general liability perspective. Given the Jeep is not sold as a tow vehicle, I suspect it is not an area where the manufacturer has spent much time looking to increase the ratings overall.

I do not have lots of towing experience with RV trailers but have towed a larger boat for extended periods and do have general towing experience.
Djg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 02:03 PM   #24
DG

2021 23' Flying Cloud
oakville , Ontario
Towing over GVWR

As newbies, when researching for a tow vehicle for a Airstream we had been advised that our then car, a Merc GLC 300, was Ok to tow a 16' Caravel, even though I think GVWR would have been exceeded. I asked our insurance broker to check with our auto insurance.

Reply: "xxx has advised towing a travel trailer over the GVWR could possibly have the claim denied. It would be up to the claims adjustor to determine coverage".

I have no idea who is "right" - I just know I wanted to be on the right side of the numbers per manufacturer and insurance. So we upgraded our choice of TV to ensure we would always be within limits of payload, hitch weight and tow capacity.
Waterbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 02:09 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
The notion that automotive manufacturers lower the true towing capacities of the vehicles they produce for liability purposes is an interesting concept. If they are concerned about liability they are concerned about failure. The two really go together. So I would suggest that they are setting the limits at a point where they feel confident that it will perform correctly.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 04:05 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado
If the reason you are asking is so you can unhitch your tow vehicle and go off-roading, know that there are other (less obvious) vehicles with ample tow ratings that can easily keep up with a Wrangler (if not leave it behind and stuck in the mud).
kidjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 04:23 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1999 28' Excella
Lake Mary , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by banderabob View Post
If there is ANY opinion to listen to, it is Andyís.
Great, when the attorneys call him in for a deposition, he can explain how it is OK to exceed the manufacturers weight limits,,,,,,,and then they can go after your house and other assets!
suncoasteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 05:26 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2020 23' International
Evergreen , Colorado
Jeep Wranglers are more often the vehicle that's being towed by an RV, as opposed to the vehicle that's towing an RV.

Old 01-01-2021, 05:46 PM   #29
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
I toed with a Jeep in the beginning...then I got a tow vehicle.😂

Bob
🇺🇸

It did look good though...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D44DE17D-C13C-4C87-BD03-F6DF992F0B43_1_105_c.jpeg
Views:	11
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	385972  

Love for the Adirondacks

"It is more wiser to ponder all things with diligent suspicion, than follow with blind assumption."
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 05:52 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
I used to have a Wagoneer like that... would go anywhere except past a gas station....

I really did love the thing... but man, mine was full-time 4wd Quadratrac, it really did not get good gas mileage, just moving itself around... I didn’t have anything to to with it when I had it....
Old 01-01-2021, 06:14 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djg View Post
(snip)

I do suspect that most manufacturer ratings are lower than true capabilities from a general liability perspective. Given the Jeep is not sold as a tow vehicle, I suspect it is not an area where the manufacturer has spent much time looking to increase the ratings overall.
There are no margins built into the US towing standards for oversteer or sway, and the market is so competitive, vehicles marketed for towing have their limits pushed to the max, and there is no incentive to be conservative because they can demonstrate they follow accepted industry standards.

Not much value in trying to improve towing performance, because it will destroy off-road performance. It is impossible to do both well.
Old 01-01-2021, 10:03 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Milpitas , California
I'm not sure exactly why I like these threads, but i do.

I guess the best part is that the diversity of opinions will hopefully scare encourage the OP to do more research and learn everything they can about towing an Airstream. It is a complicated subject and it is really pretty easy to do it wrong and wind up in a ditch.

Happy New Year! I'm glad 2020 is over.
2015 Ram 2500 Cummins 6.7L
JayOhBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 06:25 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBiker View Post
There are no margins built into the US towing standards for oversteer or sway, and the market is so competitive, vehicles marketed for towing have their limits pushed to the max, and there is no incentive to be conservative because they can demonstrate they follow accepted industry standards.

Not much value in trying to improve towing performance, because it will destroy off-road performance. It is impossible to do both well.

Do you have a source for this information?
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 06:49 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
SAE, society of Automotive engineers have an industry standard test procedure. They use .3 g and .4 g for oversteer, and 62 mph dry flat road, no wind impulse sway test. Neither are particularly challenging so towing limits get set quite high compared to the range of US road conditions.
Old 01-02-2021, 07:34 AM   #35
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Deleted.. New Years resolution. Do not comment on TV threads.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19í Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 07:38 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2020 23' International
Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
Deleted.. New Years resolution. Do not comment on TV threads.
Thatís going to be a tough resolution to keep!

Old 01-02-2021, 08:04 AM   #37
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNBright View Post
I used to have a Wagoneer like that... would go anywhere except past a gas station....

I really did love the thing... but man, mine was full-time 4wd Quadratrac, it really did not get good gas mileage, just moving itself around... I didnít have anything to to with it when I had it....
DW loved it, locking hubs, never got stuck thru the Buffalo Winters, relatively comfortable, and looked like nothing else at the time.
It was just a drastically underpowered, no mpg, overheating TV.
Very squirrelly, with the 23' Safari it struggled even on the most wimpy of grades.
I was always fixing 'minor' stuff like AC, cooling system, tailgate, heater and most things electrical.
It finally an engine swap so it could be sold.

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5B0FF1F4-82AF-48BA-974E-093000B62EAD_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	404.1 KB
ID:	385998   Click image for larger version

Name:	3D7B0BBA-A672-484E-8385-CAEDFD0DB2DA_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	278.2 KB
ID:	386000  

Love for the Adirondacks

"It is more wiser to ponder all things with diligent suspicion, than follow with blind assumption."
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 08:20 AM   #38
4 Rivet Member

2021 25' International
Winder , Georgia
Most New Yearís resolutions are dropped by Jan 3. So after tomorrow youíre good to go.
Bcc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 08:39 AM   #39
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcc75 View Post
Most New Yearís resolutions are dropped by Jan 3. So after tomorrow youíre good to go.
Iím going to run outside and get a picture of my door sticker, so I can participate again..

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19í Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 09:42 AM   #40
1 Rivet Member

2020 20' Bambi
Ludlow , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken G View Post
Wheel base and width make a Jeep wrangler a terrible tow vehicle. It is not sprung for payload, rather for axle articulation over rough terrain. Mileage is poor without a trailer. Wranglers are not good road vehicles, they were not built to be. I know this because I have owned two, one for 20 years - I love them but not for towing. Even a Gladiator with max tow package can only tow 7200#. You can only spec the max tow package on a Sport model which is plain otherwise and limited on options.
I tow my 2020 FB 20ft Bambi with a Jeep Gladiator with Max Tow package. I use a blue ox weight distribution hitch. I have no issues with towing or stopping and depending on the road I get 13 to 15 mpg. I also installed a brake controller which took all of 5 minutes as it just plugs into existing cable under dash left of steering wheel. Hitch weight on the Gladiator is 765 lbs.
chappy72 is offline   Reply With Quote