Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-01-2021, 01:21 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Encinitas , CA
Jeep Gladiator with Max Tow package

Anyone know what the maximum sized Airstream trailer that truck could tow safely?
TSHRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 03:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
If you go with the Gladiator Sport with the Max Tow package, it's supposed to be rated for 7650lbs, and max payload of 1700lbs, depending on how equipped (usually more boxes checked lowers the amount of payload left over). I don't know the tongue weight limit for the Gladiator off the top of my head, but for my Sierra, it's listed as 10% of the max trailer weight, so in this case, that'd be 765lbs (you'd need to verify that, that's my guess).

Any of the single-axles would be okay. Let's look at the double-axles. Using the compare tool on the Airstream site, I started at the low end of the Flying Clouds, and put in the 23cb and the 23fb. The gross trailer weights themselves are fine, as are their tongue weights. Once you go bigger than that, the tongue weight will start to limit things.
https://www.airstream.com/travel-tra...25rb,27fb,28rb
The trailer weights, the 25 is 'ok', the 27 and the 28 are right at what the book value puts a limit at. However, looking at the tongue weights, the 27 is a little lower than the other three. A weight distribution hitch might help w/ the tongue weight, but, you'd still need to check what the actual tongue limit is on the Gladiator to see if you'd actually be overweight or not.

Good luck,
WBCCI #1051
LNBright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 04:30 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Encinitas , CA
Thank you!

I think where weight issues may also arise is how loaded the Gladitor becomes.
Camper shell, bikes, kayaks, gear etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNBright View Post
If you go with the Gladiator Sport with the Max Tow package, it's supposed to be rated for 7650lbs, and max payload of 1700lbs, depending on how equipped (usually more boxes checked lowers the amount of payload left over). I don't know the tongue weight limit for the Gladiator off the top of my head, but for my Sierra, it's listed as 10% of the max trailer weight, so in this case, that'd be 765lbs (you'd need to verify that, that's my guess).

Any of the single-axles would be okay. Let's look at the double-axles. Using the compare tool on the Airstream site, I started at the low end of the Flying Clouds, and put in the 23cb and the 23fb. The gross trailer weights themselves are fine, as are their tongue weights. Once you go bigger than that, the tongue weight will start to limit things.
https://www.airstream.com/travel-tra...25rb,27fb,28rb
The trailer weights, the 25 is 'ok', the 27 and the 28 are right at what the book value puts a limit at. However, looking at the tongue weights, the 27 is a little lower than the other three. A weight distribution hitch might help w/ the tongue weight, but, you'd still need to check what the actual tongue limit is on the Gladiator to see if you'd actually be overweight or not.

Good luck,
TSHRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 05:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
Very much so. Definitely get a handle on what the total weight of the gear you want to bring along weighs, and keep an eye on that payload figure.

I’m not in the ‘you have to get a 2500 pickup’ camp, but, the reason they’re so popular is because of the payload....
WBCCI #1051
LNBright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 06:01 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Real World Tongue Weights

We tow a 2019 FC 25 RBT (rear bed twin) and the tongue weight is 940 LBS with a trailer weight of 6400 LBS. We travel fairly light on junk in the trailer.

We had a 2017 International Serenity 23D (now called a 23CB) and the tongue weight was 820 LBS with a trailer weight of 5700 LBS. The 23D has a rather high tongue weight for the size of the trailer due to floorplan layout and axle placement.

You would be stretching it to hitch up to a 25' AS. The front bedroom 25' is even higher on tongue weight.

The 23' or smaller AS would be much more realistic. The 23' front bedroom AS has a much lower tongue weight than the CB model so it would be your more desirable towing partner.

1700 LBS of cargo or payload capacity sound like a lot until you start adding up the stuff. Good luck with your choice.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 07:51 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
Shred,
Have you looked at the “buff” sites covering the Gladiator’s towing performance?
The Fast Lane, etc...
I recall one review (truck trend) that said the Gladiator was far superior to the Wrangler for towing (with the Glad’s 19” longer wheelbase) but handling was “concerning” when the bed was loaded to near capacity (which is what you would experience with a heavy tongue weight).
Look at all the tow vehicle limits, and don’t be too optimistic about the trailer’s listed GVWR and tongue weight. As a politician once said, “Trust, but verify!”.
And learn to read between the lines.
Happy camping!
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 08:34 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Chrysler caps tongue weight at 765 lb and trailer frontal area at 30 sq. ft. to get the max towing limit up to 7,650 lb. As a practical matter towing a modern Airstream or any travel trailer for that matter you'll want to go lower. 6,000 is really the upper limit which means 23' max. Towing the larger 74 sq. ft. front 7,000 lb trailers you will experience performance issues on grade and and the Gladiator will have difficulty maintaining stability if the trailer happens to get laterally out of alignment say in a strong cross wind on a steep winding downgrade or in an evasive maneuver. The Chrysler Engineers know their vehicles' capabilities, you'd need good reason to ignore it.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote