Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 07:41 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
2015 25' Flying Cloud
Chicago , Illinois
Question Is F-150 sufficient?

The 2017 F-150 with Eco Boost and max tow package would make towing the Classic 30 "legal". My question is whether there is enough power and braking. I traded my Super Duty thinking we wouldn't go as big as the 30 but then we toured one....
Anyone towing a 30 with the F-150 and happy about performance?
Thanks
Old 10-25-2017, 07:48 AM   #2
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Enough power and braking? Yes, but look at the Ecoboost 3.5 for best performance.

Enough payload? Depends on how you configure the F150.
Old 10-25-2017, 08:05 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Open field , Idaho
I watched this video yesterday afternoon. Some of it talks about vehicle size versus trailer size. He made some good points I thought.

https://youtu.be/TCzNHgZdWUk
Old 10-25-2017, 08:30 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrArrowhead View Post
I watched this video yesterday afternoon. Some of it talks about vehicle size versus trailer size. He made some good points I thought.

https://youtu.be/TCzNHgZdWUk
Well, I gave up on this video after just a couple minutes. As an industry professional, I noted he had several factual errors right off the bat. Like 1/2 tons are limited to 6500#. And a larger, light trailer will control the 1/2 ton truck. Didn't even want to hear the rest after such inaccurate premises are set as a foundation.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 10-25-2017, 08:49 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safetyfirst View Post
The 2017 F-150 with Eco Boost and max tow package would make towing the Classic 30 "legal". My question is whether there is enough power and braking. I traded my Super Duty thinking we wouldn't go as big as the 30 but then we toured one....
Thanks
Saw several over the summer, one was headed to Portland from Michigan, said he does it often.

Is it enough? Depends on how and where you drive.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:28 AM   #6

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
I am a BIG proponent of the current F150, and have zero complaints about mine towing a Flying Cloud 26U. Even so, I wouldn't be quick to recommend it for towing a 30' Classic, especially if you do long trips with lots of stuff. Even for my 26U if we were half-timing or even doing a lot of month-long trips, I'd probably want more payload. For 1-2 week trips (without kayaks or hundreds of pounds of dutch ovens and anvils) it's working out fine for us, I still have a few hundred pounds of headroom (under the rated gross weight) even with the generators onboard.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
Old 10-25-2017, 01:48 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
I've towed for over 40 years, 14 RVs including a Diesel Pusher Motorhome. In this mess have been four Airstreams. Three 30', two of which were FC and our present one a 2017 Classic. The forth and first a 25' FC, which was towed with an F150 EcoBoost set up with the max tow package for the F150. I also towed the first 30' FC with this same F150, one trip.

The F150 Eco is rated to tow, over 12,000#, but does not have sufficient payload or braking ability for where we travel in my opinion, and that is all that counts. Many people on the forums and probably your sales person will say not a problem, look at the tow rating. As stated, tow rating yes, payload no.

We then went to an F250 Diesel, wonderful truck, great towing, stopping and payload. Somewhat better fuel economy, not much, but then Diesel is more expensive and maintenance is much more expensive.

We now have an F350 Diesel. Both the F250 and F350 were ordered with max tow packages. I've liked them both and had no issues with the F250 and only one warranty issue with the F350, which is a 2015 Platinum with 40,000 miles.

Now to answer your question from my perspective, I would not tow an Airstream 30' trailer, especially the Classic without anything less than an F250 Diesel. Good luck in your decision and enjoy.

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
Old 10-25-2017, 02:29 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2005 34' Classic
tucson , Arizona
I tow a 34 Classic with a 2016 F150 ecoboost 6 banger and it's terrific. We had zero trouble with hills recently north of Phoenix on I17 to Flagstaff. It does kick down to 3rd gear on steeper grades.
My ONLY concern is braking on hills, I do find myself working to keep my speed below 60-ish and using the trailer brake controller. I have it set to max assist, perhaps an after market brake controller would give a little more boost. It's uncomfortable feeling the TT push the truck, I'd like them to be more equal in holding 60 going down hills.
I also have 250 ft driveway that back up to park. I use low gear and 4x4 and it's no sweat at all.
Old 10-25-2017, 03:09 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dallas , Texas
I'm also struggling with this decision, although I'm probably aiming at a lighter Airstream, thinking around 25. The kicker for me is payload; to get to the better numbers in the F150 you have to go to the longer wheelbases which won't, alas, fit in my garage. If I'm reading the payload calculation table correctly, a 2018 F150 super crew with 5.5 box (145 inch wheelbase) 4x4 with 3.5 ecoboost and 3.55 rear end tips the scales at 2,030 pounds payload.

My question is, do they calculate this with a stripped down model? How much do the real world numbers go down when you start looking at higher trim lines with more electronic goodies?
Old 10-25-2017, 03:17 PM   #10
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
The more options the lower the payload gets.
Old 10-25-2017, 03:58 PM   #11

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan P G View Post
I'm also struggling with this decision, although I'm probably aiming at a lighter Airstream, thinking around 25. The kicker for me is payload; to get to the better numbers in the F150 you have to go to the longer wheelbases which won't, alas, fit in my garage. If I'm reading the payload calculation table correctly, a 2018 F150 super crew with 5.5 box (145 inch wheelbase) 4x4 with 3.5 ecoboost and 3.55 rear end tips the scales at 2,030 pounds payload.

My question is, do they calculate this with a stripped down model? How much do the real world numbers go down when you start looking at higher trim lines with more electronic goodies?
If the '18 weights run about like the '17, a really fancy Lariat with everything but the sunroof will leave you with around 1650 lb. I have a "Lariat Luxury" (502A package) with the tailgate step, bed-side steps, 4x4, Ecoboost Max Tow (therefore the big fuel tank and the heavier 3.5l EB engine) and my stickered payload is 1636 lb.

PS: Regarding the length overall, there's no free lunch. If the 6.5' box F150 Supercrew doesn't fit in your garage, it's likely that the short-box SuperCab F250 won't either... the short F250 SuperCab is only 5" shorter than the long F250 SuperCrew (and has the smaller rear seat area and doors.)

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
Old 10-25-2017, 04:40 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
If the '18 weights run about like the '17, a really fancy Lariat with everything but the sunroof will leave you with around 1650 lb. I have a "Lariat Luxury" (502A package) with the tailgate step, bed-side steps, 4x4, Ecoboost Max Tow (therefore the big fuel tank and the heavier 3.5l EB engine) and my stickered payload is 1636 lb.

PS: Regarding the length overall, there's no free lunch. If the 6.5' box F150 Supercrew doesn't fit in your garage, it's likely that the short-box SuperCab F250 won't either... the short F250 SuperCab is only 5" shorter than the long F250 SuperCrew (and has the smaller rear seat area and doors.)

Your Lariat sounds like exactly the TV I'm currently thinking of, and it is reassuring that you're happy with your TV/FC26 rig (with careful attention to payload, leaving your anvils at home) - bodes well if I decide on a FC25. I do like the F150, and I'm sure I'd like driving it as a non-tow vehicle a lot more than the F250.

The short 250 will fit in the garage, but with only 5 inches space in front and back, requiring my acquisition of superlative parking skills and having to open the garage door to get around it, another reason to favor the 150!
Old 10-25-2017, 04:42 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
5"X2!!!!!!! You're lucky, I have a total of 2" total!

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 10-25-2017, 04:55 PM   #14

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
If "parking inside the garage" is critical, I'd give up some payload for the nicer back seat of the SuperCrew, but the truck is our multi-passenger vehicle... my partner's car is a small performance car, so the back seat is a bit torturous. The fancy F150 is our "guest transporter" as well as the tow vehicle. I haven't tried it in the current-gen cab, but the dog's travel crate didn't fit well in the back of a SuperCab when I bought the '07, which is why I went SuperCrew and it's hard to go back now.

Old 10-25-2017, 08:21 PM   #15
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Thanks
I went through this analysis when choosing a tow vehicle for my 30' classic and ended up with an F-250.

You've already received a wide range of responses. I find that this topic always draws strong opinions.

In reality, I think much depends upon where, how far, how often, and under what circumstances you tow. Around me there are quite a few people who tow RVs in the same weight class with F-150s and are happy with them, but they are generally using their rigs for occasional local trips (or in some cases just seasonal moves) on familiar routes in fairly flat terrain at modest speeds.

On the opposite end of the spectrum you get people who travel all over the country who like their diesel duallys.

I would encourage you to also consider your other plans for the truck. The fuel cost and purchase price for the F-250 are considerably higher, and the F-150 is nicer to drive when lightly loaded or empty. If the truck will be your daily driver you might be happier overall with the F-150.
Old 10-25-2017, 08:45 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I cant answer that straight on, but I can say that my 05 Silverado 1/2 ton makes a great tow vehicle for my 31’ Sovereign. It doesn’t even have a tow package.....

Same with my 08 Silverado 1/2 ton and my 04 Tahoe....

Old 10-25-2017, 08:46 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Point Pleasant , New Jersey
Quote:
Thanks
You already traded your super duty in for 2017. Ain't no going back now. I would stick with the 150 and see how it goes for you. Biggest complaint I have heard about towing with a 150 or 1500 is payload, <10 mpg towing and navigating the pumps at busy gas stations.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:19 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
I agree with Jammer. I have a 28’ and the F150 pulls just fine. But after my first long trip I decided to buy a ProPride Hitch. Not that it was unmanagemeable. But it was more tiring. So it might be that an F150 will need a better hitch to manage sway while towing if you are going on longer trips. I think if I was just going to drive a few hours here and there I wouldn’t buy the Propride. But since I plan on some longer trips across open spaces I felt that the better hitch would make driving more comfortable.

But here is what a good salesman told me, “If you are going to be driving your pickup without towing the vast majority of the time, then go with the more comfortable 1/2 ton that can do the job. If you are going to be towing a great deal then go with the 3/4 ton.”

I have an F150 now because I drive the pickup for work. But when I retire fully I am upping to the F250. By the way I drove an F250 with a diesel and it had a pretty nice ride. I will probably get the F250 V8 gas, because diesel is expensive, the oil changes are over $100, and repairs are spendy. But the F250 with the V8 gives more payload and would probably be a bit more stable due to a beefier frame.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:32 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquenzer View Post
I agree with Jammer. I have a 28’ and the F150 pulls just fine. But after my first long trip I decided to buy a ProPride Hitch. Not that it was unmanagemeable. But it was more tiring. So it might be that an F150 will need a better hitch to manage sway while towing if you are going on longer trips. I think if I was just going to drive a few hours here and there I wouldn’t buy the Propride. But since I plan on some longer trips across open spaces I felt that the better hitch would make driving more comfortable.

But here is what a good salesman told me, “If you are going to be driving your pickup without towing the vast majority of the time, then go with the more comfortable 1/2 ton that can do the job. If you are going to be towing a great deal then go with the 3/4 ton.”

I have an F150 now because I drive the pickup for work. But when I retire fully I am upping to the F250. By the way I drove an F250 with a diesel and it had a pretty nice ride. I will probably get the F250 V8 gas, because diesel is expensive, the oil changes are over $100, and repairs are spendy. But the F250 with the V8 gives more payload and would probably be a bit more stable due to a beefier frame.

These hitches make all driving better. Having driven with mine, I wouldn’t leave home without it.

Old 10-26-2017, 05:09 AM   #20
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquenzer View Post

The only problem with that scenario, even if you don't tow 98% of the time, you will still be towing a very large, heavy Airstream 100% of the time when you do tow.
I've towed our 31' with all kinds of trucks over the years. The most capable tow vehicle we had for it was our 2008 model F250 gas. It did very well, and believe it or not, rode and handled better, towing or not, than the F150 4x4 Supercrew that replaced it. Both got the same gas mileage.
Closed Thread