Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 06:36 AM   #41
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Clayton , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
I will share this with you. Recently I was shopping for a truck again. I contacted a Ford dealer in Naples about a truck and, in my brief conversation with the salesman, I mentioned what payload rating I needed to be at or near. He said, "oh an F150 can tow around 13,000 pounds, no worries." I then got into an instructional discussion on the difference between payload and tow capacity but it turned negative. He said he would call me back, he was going to check. When he called back he had spoken to someone who, for 30 years had steered people into trucks based on their requirements. Note, he had already given me pictures of the door stickers and I knew the information of the truck we were discussing. He told me that the truck had a payload of 3300# and could tow 11,900#. I referred him to the door load sticker which stated payload was 1603#. He said ignore it. The Ford manual specifically states that the load sticker is payload.

The advantage to a half-ton truck is ride and size for a daily driver. If it meets your payload requirements then it is a good choice. When traveling you can put some things in the trailer instead of the truck bed. That helps keep payload down. F150s I have seen, go up to around 2300# payload. Naturally, the higher trim levels are lower. I had a Lariat almost loaded with a payload of 1720#. My new truck, a Platinum is more feature laden and has the 36 gallon tank which takes 100# off payload via the ARC weight (reserve capacity-options). The new truck is 1583#. I know at least 100# is the bigger tank option. Another heavy option is the twin moonroof.

Take the payload figure as it is and work from there. There is no reduction because of using a WD hitch. WD hitches do not all function the same nor do they truly evenly balance weight completely. In the "RV handbook" it describes the hitch as taking a weight and perfectly distributing weight across the towing axles- truck and trailer. Hitches all work differently and the result varies. You cannot use "after figures" to calculate your tongue weight. BTW, Fords, in my WD hitch notes says, "Ford vehicle front height cannot be lower than pre-hitching height or damage to the suspension may occur." This is referring to the front axle. So, you measure the height of the front before hitching then measure after hitching and adjust to no lower than the pre hitch- a limited adjustment. The specific weight of that adjustment may or may not be reached with the hitch. Point- go with the payload rating.

You should be able to find an F150 that will meet your need unless you have several family members that will travel in the truck.
I agree with the above. We have a FC 28Q on order. The dealer said to allow 1000lbs for hitch weight on that unit. We shopped for a tow vehicle accordingly. For us the 1583 lbs of rodsterinfl's F150 would not be sufficient, as my wife and I together weigh about 400 lbs, so that would leave only 183 lbs to spare. We want to be able to carry luggage, generator, camp chair and table, etc.... We ended up with an F250 Lariat gas burner with 3055 lbs. of payload. Now we don't have to worry about carrying passengers in our crew cab while towing.

Suggest the OP just go to the Ford dealer and look at the yellow stickers on the driver's door jambs of vehicles equiped like he wants. The payload varies quite a lot based on options.
Old 11-05-2017, 06:43 AM   #42
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
Was just there yesterday, salesman told my wife from the back seat, Sure, you can carry over a ton back there,. . . He didn't say much else after I told them the door post sticker said 1648#, not a ton+.
Old 11-05-2017, 07:47 AM   #43
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Long time reader but first post here. I too was considering af150 vs a F250 recently and came to the conclusion that the heavier TV is best. The reason for this decision is based on physics and one you can quantify with math. If you study up on towing dynamics the three most important things that effect towing instability is speed, trailer CG, and trailer weight to tow vehicle weight ratio. The trailer weight to TV weight ratio is what Ford seems to completely ignore when setting the TWR for the f150. Its not that it’s not impossible to get a stable rig but that combo will be more sensitive to proper WD setup, changes to CG in the trailer, and potentially become unstable at a lower speed.
Old 11-05-2017, 08:08 AM   #44
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Is F-150 sufficient?

My half ton with a Hensley handles like it is on rails, it weighs about 5100 lbs empty with a full tank of gas, I never worry or even think about the loading of my 7500 lb trailer.

On occasion I might accidentally over tighten my WD jacks, (my only hitch adjustment) but that is easy enough to fix in 30 seconds.

My combination is never unstable at any speed, ever.

Old 11-05-2017, 10:40 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
I forgot to share that my tongue weight according to the CAT scale is 1000# on a 25’. My actual full load weight with all my stuff is close to 1700#. I am over my new truck payload by 117#. I too carry a lot so I plan to relocate a few things to the trailer.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:43 AM   #46
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
I forgot to share that my tongue weight according to the CAT scale is 1000# on a 25’. My actual full load weight with all my stuff is close to 1700#. I am over my new truck payload by 117#. I too carry a lot so I plan to relocate a few things to the trailer.

Sounds like a job for a weight distribution hitch to me. #justSayin.

Old 11-05-2017, 01:42 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
Sounds like a job for a weight distribution hitch to me. #justSayin.
I have a ProPride 3P. It doesn't matter though. I am still at around 1700 with people, stuff and tongue weight. There are ways to get around it- lithium batteries, put items in trailer, etc but weight is weight. Remember, it is only because of the WD hitch that we can go passed 500# hitch capacity tongue weight. The WD hitch does not mean we can go beyond truck capacity hoping that the weight disappears somewhere in distribution land.

As far as safety goes, there are several things an F150 has to counter issues. One is the "curve control" (enter 2017,F150,Sync 3 to watch) it works with Advance Trac to monitor unsafe yaw, steer, etc., and will slow the vehicle down. The double tap of the brake is another feature during towing. I would not feel unsafe towing in my truck as long as I was within its limits.

As far as a tow vehicle needing to be heavier than the trailer, that is not a valid conclusion. There are many examples of that situation especially in construction where hauling backhoes, etc., the trailer weight exceeds the actual weight of the tow vehicle. The important factor is that the tow vehicle have the power, brakes, systems to PULL the load. In this case, an F150 can haul, as of 2018 models, up to 13,200# of trailer with max tow, 3.5L Eco, etc. The F150 truck weighs, at most maybe 5000# that can tow that amount. This is not a Ford "ignores" thing. The outside force acting on the forward motion comes from both trailer braking AND truck braking, the systems work together. I can say that when I went from a regular 2009 V8 F150 (one that had equivalent power/torque of the Chevy 5.3L) to the Ecoboost 3.5, suddenly it was as if the trailer wasn't back there. Amazing power, minimal winding out on hills, unlike before. Towing no issue, stopping no issue.

I find the discussion of tow vehicles important but some complicate it by looking into every detail of axles, etc. That is not important if you follow three guidelines as that is all figured in already. 1)payload capacity, 2) tow capacity, 3) hitch capacity/rating. Make sure the truck can meet your need. The first one is the challenge in a half-ton. I went from a 2WD Lariat with 1720# payload to the 2WD Platinum with 1568# payload- a 152# loss but, I gained 13 gallons of gas and a bigger tank- 100 pounds. I cringed at the remaining 52# loss but I can deal with it as I will load differently. Another option would have been to get a truck with a different trim level with less options. When they ran the IKE Gauntlet with the 2017 Platinum 3.5 10 spd., they quoted a higher payload rating. In the video, you can see they have no twin moonroof on their Platinum. Also, XLTs have much more payload capability.

When you set your hitch up, you dial in the specifics but you need the weights/capacities within tolerances beforehand. I have my hitch, as 5.25" high on the jacks, (ProPride) dialed to have the truck front end within 1/8" of the original height. The rear is 3/4" inch lower than unhitched but I cannot do any better. The hitch distributes what it can and that is all. I should not go lower on the front than the unhitched height according to Ford. CAT Scales, confirm I am within 100# of my original weight on the front of the truck. See, this is what I mean about strange. According to the RV Handbook, it shows that I would be adding MORE weight to the front using a WD hitch. Actually, I am only putting most of the weight back onto the front- not adding more than before as their illustration shows. To do so would lower the suspension and violate the Ford notes. This is why the axle weighting is really irrelevant if I use the guideline figures and the height method followed by CAT scales. The axle capacity is within the payload and towing capacities. Watch the video and pay attention to the segment at 1:00 and 5:29 to know how to dial a hitch in. I use center of wheel wheel well height instead of bumper but...
Curt is a simple hitch but the principles are the same. I use the same method to set up the ProPride.
Old 11-05-2017, 02:20 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
I have a ProPride 3P. It doesn't matter though. I am still at around 1700 with people, stuff and tongue weight. There are ways to get around it- lithium batteries, put items in trailer, etc but weight is weight. Remember, it is only because of the WD hitch that we can go passed 500# hitch capacity tongue weight. The WD hitch does not mean we can go beyond truck capacity hoping that the weight disappears somewhere in distribution land.

As far as safety goes, there are several things an F150 has to counter issues. One is the "curve control" (enter 2017,F150,Sync 3 to watch) it works with Advance Trac to monitor unsafe yaw, steer, etc., and will slow the vehicle down. The double tap of the brake is another feature during towing. I would not feel unsafe towing in my truck as long as I was within its limits.

As far as a tow vehicle needing to be heavier than the trailer, that is not a valid conclusion. There are many examples of that situation especially in construction where hauling backhoes, etc., the trailer weight exceeds the actual weight of the tow vehicle. The important factor is that the tow vehicle have the power, brakes, systems to PULL the load. In this case, an F150 can haul, as of 2018 models, up to 13,200# of trailer with max tow, 3.5L Eco, etc. The F150 truck weighs, at most maybe 5000# that can tow that amount. This is not a Ford "ignores" thing. The outside force acting on the forward motion comes from both trailer braking AND truck braking, the systems work together. I can say that when I went from a regular 2009 V8 F150 (one that had equivalent power/torque of the Chevy 5.3L) to the Ecoboost 3.5, suddenly it was as if the trailer wasn't back there. Amazing power, minimal winding out on hills, unlike before. Towing no issue, stopping no issue.

I find the discussion of tow vehicles important but some complicate it by looking into every detail of axles, etc. That is not important if you follow three guidelines as that is all figured in already. 1)payload capacity, 2) tow capacity, 3) hitch capacity/rating. Make sure the truck can meet your need. The first one is the challenge in a half-ton. I went from a 2WD Lariat with 1720# payload to the 2WD Platinum with 1568# payload- a 152# loss but, I gained 13 gallons of gas and a bigger tank- 100 pounds. I cringed at the remaining 52# loss but I can deal with it as I will load differently. Another option would have been to get a truck with a different trim level with less options. When they ran the IKE Gauntlet with the 2017 Platinum 3.5 10 spd., they quoted a higher payload rating. In the video, you can see they have no twin moonroof on their Platinum. Also, XLTs have much more payload capability.

When you set your hitch up, you dial in the specifics but you need the weights/capacities within tolerances beforehand. I have my hitch, as 5.25" high on the jacks, (ProPride) dialed to have the truck front end within 1/8" of the original height. The rear is 3/4" inch lower than unhitched but I cannot do any better. The hitch distributes what it can and that is all. I should not go lower on the front than the unhitched height according to Ford. CAT Scales, confirm I am within 100# of my original weight on the front of the truck. See, this is what I mean about strange. According to the RV Handbook, it shows that I would be adding MORE weight to the front using a WD hitch. Actually, I am only putting most of the weight back onto the front- not adding more than before as their illustration shows. To do so would lower the suspension and violate the Ford notes. This is why the axle weighting is really irrelevant if I use the guideline figures and the height method followed by CAT scales. The axle capacity is within the payload and towing capacities. Watch the video and pay attention to the segment at 1:00 and 5:29 to know how to dial a hitch in. I use center of wheel wheel well height instead of bumper but...
Curt is a simple hitch but the principles are the same. I use the same method to set up the ProPride.

It seems to me that weight moved off a tow vehicle with a WD hitch is no longer on the tow vehicle. Am I mistaken?

Old 11-05-2017, 02:27 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
When you measure the truck before hitching, the front height and rear height will change as soon as the trailer is put down onto the hitch- full weight. Then, as the WD hitch is adjusted, the front, which is guaranteed to be higher than beforehand, will begin to go lower. The rear will raise. The weight is being distributed but, this is what I was saying- the adjustment is not precise with regard to the final load. I cannot say, ok I am going to split my tongue weight three ways evenly- trailer, hitch, truck front. You can only add the weight until the truck front returns to normal basically. The video states within a 1/2" of the "before" height. The amount of actual weight distributed is unknown UNTIL you get the CAT Scale weighting. I was able to get to 1/8" before I had to stop adjusting or over adjust. Obviously some goes through the trailer frame to the trailer axles. The weight is still there, just not centralized as before. The tension spreads it out but it is still based on original hitch,payload/tow capacity figures and the GCVW. A Before/After CAT scale is revealing.You really end up rebalancing the truck front and it makes it safer. My truck front at 1/8" is about 49# lighter than before hitching. Some would say take it down further but you cannot without making the front end lower than unhitched, where "damage may occur".
Old 11-05-2017, 02:35 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
When you measure the truck before hitching, the front height and rear height will change as soon as the trailer is put down onto the hitch- full weight. Then, as the WD hitch is adjusted, the front, which is guaranteed to be higher than beforehand, will begin to go lower. The rear will raise. The weight is being distributed but, this is what I was saying- the adjustment is not precise with regard to the final load. I cannot say, ok I am going to split my tongue weight three ways evenly- trailer, hitch, truck front. You can only add the weight until the truck front returns to normal basically. The video states within a 1/2" of the "before" height. The amount of actual weight distributed is unknown UNTIL you get the CAT Scale weighting. Obviously some goes through the trailer frame to the trailer axles. The weight is still there, just not centralized as before. The tension spreads it out but it is still based on original hitch,payload/tow capacity figures and the GCVW. A Before/After CAT scale is revealing.You really end up rebalancing the truck front and it makes it safer.

I adjust the jacks until the truck drives great...

Old 11-05-2017, 02:42 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
I adjust the jacks until the truck drives great...
Good. LOL. The CAT scales are "nth" degree actions. Some like it DEAD ON.
Old 11-06-2017, 02:42 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
OK, just a note for F150 shoppers. I found out today that the twin moonroof takes 30# from the payload. There was an exact optioned truck to mine at a dealership so I called and got the payload, Platinum with no moonroof - 30# more or 1613# payload. SO, The Limited and Platinums are near the lower end of the payload ratings. The Lariats seem to be 1700-1800ish# and the XLTs shine at up to 2300# payload. That is the summary of my notes. All nicely equipped.
Old 11-06-2017, 04:13 PM   #53
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
OK, just a note for F150 shoppers. I found out today that the twin moonroof takes 30# from the payload. There was an exact optioned truck to mine at a dealership so I called and got the payload, Platinum with no moonroof - 30# more or 1613# payload. SO, The Limited and Platinums are near the lower end of the payload ratings. The Lariats seem to be 1700-1800ish# and the XLTs shine at up to 2300# payload. That is the summary of my notes. All nicely equipped.

Good to know; I've seen past data that implied a bit more weight for the moonroof. Anybody know how much the off road package sets you back? Those skid plates have to weigh something....
Old 11-07-2017, 07:05 AM   #54
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
safety first...

I know, from my experiences pulling AS's over the past 12 years, that having the right TV and WDH are extremely important, should an event occur, which requires quick maneuvering. We had our 2012 F150 and 25' AS "whip" while making a sharp maneuver to avoid a speeding Porsche passing on my right, while changing lanes. WDH and F150 straightened right out, albeit we were now sitting in the center dirt at 60mph...we were straight and able to slow and re-merge into the highway and exit to check our pants! I am not sure, but I believe a less heavy TV with shorter wheel base, would have had more issues, perhaps even a flip.

Next event was recently with our new F250 pulling the new 28' on way to Alumalina few weeks ago; while rounding a corner at 60-63mph, traffic was at a dead stop; no advance notice. F250 stopped the 28' within a couple feet of rear-ending someone. I know a lighter TV, would not have stopped us in time.

After listening to 2 recent, different, "roll over" accident survivors at Alumalina, one pulling a 34' AS with an Excursion; the other pulling a 31' AS with an Expedition, I am more convinced then ever how important the vehicle weight and wheel base is while pulling safely. You can never be too cautious is my belief. In the later accident, a semi passed, sucking the AS and the TV to start the roll over. Be safe...
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 11-07-2017, 07:18 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
I struck gold!

I found how to find out the weight of each option and also each trim package on an F150. This is the information for a 2017 but they are pretty much the same as the 2018. You have to go down about mid-document to the information on weights/configuration and accessory weighting- page 39/68. When you subtract the options from the maximum payload on the chart, it figures correctly. FINALLY! So, according to the chart, a 2017 F150 super crew maxes out at 2200# payload no matter what trim. Then all things OEM added are then subtracted to come to a final usable/actual consumer payload.

The lesson here is that if we want to know the real detailed specifications of a truck, get the order ford fleet information .

Old 11-07-2017, 08:06 AM   #56
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
On the list I noticed that the twin moonroof actually shows 64# of weight rather than 30#. Wow.
Old 11-07-2017, 12:23 PM   #57
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
my dream truck is an f150 crew cab ecoboost. everyowner I have met, and there are many, were in love with this truck!
dont you all wish people would stop asking the same questions over and again, ant not using the search effectively?
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 11-07-2017, 01:03 PM   #58
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
If they made a F150 with a crew cab, an 8 ft bed, and I could get it in the mythical HDPP with a payload well above 2000lbs, I probably would buy one.
Old 11-07-2017, 05:28 PM   #59
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
I struck gold!

I found how to find out the weight of each option and also each trim package on an F150. This is the information for a 2017 but they are pretty much the same as the 2018. You have to go down about mid-document to the information on weights/configuration and accessory weighting- page 39/68. When you subtract the options from the maximum payload on the chart, it figures correctly. FINALLY! So, according to the chart, a 2017 F150 super crew maxes out at 2200# payload no matter what trim. Then all things OEM added are then subtracted to come to a final usable/actual consumer payload.

The lesson here is that if we want to know the real detailed specifications of a truck, get the order ford fleet information .
I have seen payloads stickers up to 2700 lbs on 2017 SCrews over on the F150 forums.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D0F7BCCA-82C9-4D5C-9A63-C25BA58008F8.jpeg
Views:	87
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	298605  
Old 11-08-2017, 05:12 AM   #60

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
<<Mod Mode>>

The original question was long ago answered, then ignored, and the the thread took on a new direction completely off topic from the original post.

The off topic material has been removed and this thread is closed. If those affected want to bench race the subject of 1/2 ton versus 3/4 ton we suggest you pull over at the next virtual Truck Stop, or Cafe and share your experiences, or opinions over a cup of hot coffee.

The Site Team

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Closed Thread