Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-11-2021, 10:05 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Standish , California
We went with a 3500 GMC

After first pulling our Airstream with a Yukon XL with the tow package, we decided we wanted a heavier TV for increased power and stability. We went all in on a 3500 GMC Cummins diesel and have no regrets at all. It IS overkill, but that comes with real peace of mind that we can successfully tackle any adverse towing situation. We pull a 27FB Flying Cloud and it does fly!
StephiesNana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 10:09 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2017 27' International
Wasilla , Alaska
mostly a tow vehicle?

Having explored all three levels of truck nirvana, if you are mostly towing with the rig and have other options for daily driving - by all means the 350/1 ton route. And diesel if you can make peace with the higher acquisition cost and maintenance. The power and torque plus exhaust brake make towing in the vertical plane non-events, truly. The big gassers are very capable, just not as fun in my personal opinion.

Started with an F150 for our 27FBT; barely adequate, ran out of payload, and didn't want to join weight watchers to add available payload - certainly wasn't going to tell the dog or the DW they needed to lose weight, either. Bought an F350 to tow and run around, but quickly determined the F350 was run-around-able, just not fun doing so. Kept the F150, too.

After a few seasons of maintaining (myself) and insuring two trucks, plus concerns about the spendy rig sitting most of the winter, traded both trucks for an F250 with adequate payload and a slightly lighter rear spring pack. The F250 has all the fun of the F350 but slightly better ride compared to our F350 - still not a mild as the F150. I feel like Goldilocks.
Old 05-11-2021, 10:47 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Springfield , Ohio
My 2020 Silverado 2500HD with the diesel has a max payload of 3,175 lbs. Trailer tongue weight is 1200 lbs, two passengers add less than 400 lbs. 3,175 - 1600 = 1,575 lbs to spare. I don't see me ever getting close to that max payload number. A 2500 should be more than enough unless you're towing a much heavier trailer.
Old 05-11-2021, 10:55 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Mount Pleasant , Michigan
Diesel vs Gas

350 if diesel, 250 is plenty if gas. The payload of a 250 with diesel would be reduced to a high level 150… at least that’s how it works out with Ram’s
TrailDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 11:00 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

Little falls , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrowne View Post
My 2020 Silverado 2500HD with the diesel has a max payload of 3,175 lbs. Trailer tongue weight is 1200 lbs, two passengers add less than 400 lbs. 3,175 - 1600 = 1,575 lbs to spare. I don't see me ever getting close to that max payload number. A 2500 should be more than enough unless you're towing a much heavier trailer.
How does your 2500 ride? We have a bunch of new gas regular cab fleet type 3500s and the ride is indescribably awful. I mean like need a kidney belt bad.

Makes our F250s feel like luxury.
civeng99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 11:01 AM   #26
rasyl

2018 30' Classic
CALGARY , Alberta
F350 Diesel - no regrets

We have a 2018 F350 Diesel towing a 2018 Classic 30. I have only ever been very pleased and comfortable with the TV choice. I had actually wanted to go with a 150, but that quickly became a non-starter when seeking opinions on this forum and others. Mountains, valleys, winds, snow - we do them all as our regular travelling diet and no question that the 350 is not overkill. Another factor in our choice between the 250 and 350 is that in Alberta there are 10x the number of 350s sold compared to 250s, so for the $1500 difference it was a no-brainer from a potential resale perspective. The extra payload also comes in handy if you do any landscaping hauling rocks, gravel, dirt etc., which I have been doing of late as I fine-tune the yard with retirement time on my hands. The extra leaf spring does make the truck a little taller, but the running boards take care of the mounting/dismounting process.
rdsyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 11:20 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by civeng99 View Post
How does your 2500 ride? We have a bunch of new gas regular cab fleet type 3500s and the ride is indescribably awful. I mean like need a kidney belt bad.

Makes our F250s feel like luxury.

Can’t speak to all but I’ve owned a 2019 GMC AT4 1500 test drove 2019 F250 and F350 and bought a 2019 F350 Platinum FX4.

The F350 we bought rides just as if not more comfortably than the GMC. It has more comfort features higher trim level and the wife likes it way better on road trips than she did the GMC.

When we bought the 350 I could not tell a difference during the test drive between the 250 / 350.

Downside is the HD truck is a bigger truck and turning radius is not ideal [emoji6] and parking in tight spaces is not fun. Learned to adapt. But from a towing perspective love the 350. We’re full time now so it’s getting the intended use but we also live in a rural setting so the truck is not a big deal.
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 11:51 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

Napa , California
We haul a 27' GT with a 2500 diesel (albeit a Crew Cab Chevy Silverado HD with towing package, air brake and every safety feature known to exist) and have never had an issue, uphill or down. Usually we travel pretty light -but we've done 4 big adults over 6,000 miles on a single trip. Tools, Ice Chest, BBQ, chairs, shade...lots of stuff in the back end of the truck. We don't even come close to any of the weights posted.

Most amazing is our mileage -15 mph towing, and up to 20 while just driving around. Given, currently in California gas is about $4.00 a gallon and last week we actually got diesel for LESS (3.85), it does make a difference.

But, with all that I haven't seen too many folks lamenting they got "too much truck for their trailer". With a bigger and heavier truck, you have plenty of pulling power, but you also have stopping power -you are on the right track!
Atwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 12:11 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Omaha , Nebraska
Thanks so much!

Mark and I really appreciate all the responses. Everyone on this forum has been so helpful and welcoming. We’re off to test drive vehicles on Friday, to get a feel for the ride. I’ll keep you posted!

Margo
Old 05-11-2021, 01:05 PM   #30

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I'm a passenger van guy so I did look at a lot of things. I test drove the Ford 350 van back when looking a few years back and that thing rode like a bucking bronco. Was very uncomfortable without any kind of substantial load. Since a lot of our trip experiences involve using the van with the trailer left behind in the campground, I rejected having to endure the ride. I didn't want diesel and the big Ford V10 gas engine had pitiful gas economy.

I looked at the GM route and at the time the 6 liter V8 had better mileage than the Ford. Interesting at the time was GM allowed me to change out the standard rear axle (3.73) for $25 for a 4.10 axle. Also interesting was the 3500 van from GM was actually rated lower in towing capacity than the 2500 using the same axle and engine. The 2500 road a lot better empty yet had enough cargo capacity to easily (2,736 lbs) accommodate my heavy 30' Classic slide out and 9,900 lb towing capacity. In addition the estimated MPG for the big Ford V10 was 8-10 towing while the GM actually gave me 12.

My point in all this is bigger isn't always better, and in my example going with the 3/4 ton version was truly the better towing vehicle for me, than if I had automatically gone to the 1 ton version.

So bottom line is to do your research, look at the various engine and axle options and towing capacities. You might save a few bucks on the side and get a vehicle that performs better from a ride quality and potential fuel usage. Obviously things have changed over the years but I found that neither the Ford dealer or the GMC dealer had anyone really experienced on the sales staff to give me advice. I did the digging on my own and drove the vehicles.

One finally item I found was that the 3/4 ton vans and 1 ton van stood taller than their 1/2 ton equivalents that necessitated me making a small adjustment to my garage door trim so that the new van could be stored inside. I realized that when I drove each test van to my home just to check. If you park inside make sure you can handle the length and height of any vehicle you are considering.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 01:57 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2020 33' Classic
Sarasota , Florida
F450 Overkill

Hi, I went through that dilemma as well, but mine was a much more expensive problem. I finally traded in my 25' Globetrotter and the F250 after less than a year, and went with what I had wanted initially, the 33' Classic. When I went to trade in the F250 for an F350, the sales man (boy was he good), was extolling the virtues of the F450 dually. It was also the end of the model year and the price difference between the F350 and the F450 was minimal. I had a 350 dually in the past, and liked them ok but it was a lemon and I got rid of it soon after I bought it. The benefits of the 450 were a tighter turning radius, even on a dually, and the higher payload, etc. It had to be a platinum with all the safety and towing stuff. It is not my everyday driver, but I take it on longer trips to stretch its legs and I find it extremely comfortable, plus with all the creature comforts, it can't be beat.

I also have the overkill of a Hensley hitch. Even driving home 1.5 hours from the dealer when I picked up the 33' AS, I was getting sucked in by the big rigs, plus the double rear wheels get "stuck" on the highway tape or the uneven edges and it freaked me out a little. The Hensley is my peace of mind. I travel by myself and I am not a big woman, so I would rather have too much than too little.

I used to haul my kids horses all over New England and New York for horse shows in a 40' horse trailer with Living Quarters, so I am not new to towing. And trailering live animals is unpredictable especially with all the idiots on the road cutting you off.

The advice on this forum can't be beat. Lots of very experienced folks here. In the end though, you have to do what works for you, and there is nothing wrong with too much tow vehicle, in my opinion
SilvaStreama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 02:13 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fitchburg , Wisconsin
I did all my home work and ordered an F-150 max tow, max payload for our 2014 FC25FB, not knowing that Airstream's quoted tongue weight of 837 lbs for a front bedroom is total fabrication. It's about 400 lbs. heavier. Every component of the Ford was overload from the hitch receiver to the tires. I switched to a new hitch which did not change much.

I traded the F-150 for a GMC 2500 Duramax. It solved all my problems. I did not consider a 3500, but now I wish I had. You sound like you may be hauling a lot of stuff, you will never regret having the additional capacity.

I think the GM, Ford, and Ram trucks in this category are pretty much equivalent. I have a GMC because the 2016 F-250 was only available with a 26 gal. tank, the equivalent Ram was 7" longer than either the Ford or GM--it wouldn't have fit in the garage, and I liked the GMC dealer better than the Chevy dealer. Having had the Duramax for 65,000 miles I think it is quieter than either the Cummins or Powerstroke, but you might never notice from inside the cab.
BillfromWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 02:18 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
San diego , California
I got a 250 but wish for the 350 because I do weird stuff. Like taking a motorcycle, quad, canoe, kayak, three bikes (two kids bikes) big cooler, generator and gas, extra water. Then I’ll find a 200lb rock I need to bring home and a few cases of wine. Long bed for the win. My 250 has only 1950 lbs of cargo though. The cool thing of the long bed diesel is a 48 gallon fuel tank. If I get the avg fuel mileage to 15-17 and fill it up the dash say 802 miles to empty. Not towing though but 500-600 miles range is awesome.
JunkYard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 02:58 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Omaha , Nebraska
So interesting - thanks for sharing! I’m also a horsewoman, but never got to the truck and trailer point. My friend did all the hauling, and I’ll tell you what...I’ve never been in such white knuckle situations as we were when it was snowing, icy, and our two very good boys were in the back of her trailer. For this new life direction, I’ll end up selling my sweet Quarter Horse/trail buddy. I’ve ridden that guy all over dirt roads and state highways and woodlands. He’s been a loyal and faithful friend, but it’s time to get on the road myself.

I’m really looking forward to learning to haul myself. I need to learn for safety reasons - husbands are great but even they need breaks - and because I just want to know. Women driving big rigs are just cool, IMO.
Old 05-11-2021, 03:00 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
2019 Interstate Lounge Ext
Jackson Hole - Tetons , Wyoming
Which Truck to Buy?

We travel through the West almost exclusively, with a 27' Globetrotter in tow, and usually one motorcycle in the bed of the truck.

We tow with either an F350 Platinum, or a 3500 Denali (both Diesel trucks)

Both are Wonderful for towing (why buy a 2500 if you "know" you want to be towing the AS Globetrotter)

We have friends with a 27' Globetrotter, FULL TIME travelers and they have a Dodge Dually ... for the extra Contact patch on the road (stability)

Hitches - I'm 62 years old with some experience and at this age, always know I'm right ... just my opinion

We have never used, or needed a Pro-Pride, or Hensley WD hitch => never ever never. Never.

Your Mileage may vary. We have about 115k miles towing the AS in three years ... all West of Denver Colorado ... lots of mountain passes, lots of wind in WY, etc.

PS - we buy a Long Bed for multiple reasons which include better towing geometry. Plus I can put a BMW S1000XR or 1250GS motorcycle in the back easily with space to spare for the Honda Generators, firewood, mountain bikes etc.

Enjoy ... and congrats

Spending your cash:
Think of a softstart for your AC units (you do have dual units I assume).
Two Honda generators (don't skimp on a cheaper brand, reselling Honda is very easy)

Images - Joshua Tree Christmas Morning 2019
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7317.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	360.6 KB
ID:	395310   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7490.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	322.2 KB
ID:	395311  

Name:	IMG_7426.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	371.1 KB
ID:	395312   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7460.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	339.5 KB
ID:	395313  

ScottP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 03:08 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

Little falls , New York
To me vans are the perfect towing machines. And you avoid the INSANE truck prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
I'm a passenger van guy so I did look at a lot of things. I test drove the Ford 350 van back when looking a few years back and that thing rode like a bucking bronco. Was very uncomfortable without any kind of substantial load. Since a lot of our trip experiences involve using the van with the trailer left behind in the campground, I rejected having to endure the ride. I didn't want diesel and the big Ford V10 gas engine had pitiful gas economy.

I looked at the GM route and at the time the 6 liter V8 had better mileage than the Ford. Interesting at the time was GM allowed me to change out the standard rear axle (3.73) for $25 for a 4.10 axle. Also interesting was the 3500 van from GM was actually rated lower in towing capacity than the 2500 using the same axle and engine. The 2500 road a lot better empty yet had enough cargo capacity to easily (2,736 lbs) accommodate my heavy 30' Classic slide out and 9,900 lb towing capacity. In addition the estimated MPG for the big Ford V10 was 8-10 towing while the GM actually gave me 12.

My point in all this is bigger isn't always better, and in my example going with the 3/4 ton version was truly the better towing vehicle for me, than if I had automatically gone to the 1 ton version.

So bottom line is to do your research, look at the various engine and axle options and towing capacities. You might save a few bucks on the side and get a vehicle that performs better from a ride quality and potential fuel usage. Obviously things have changed over the years but I found that neither the Ford dealer or the GMC dealer had anyone really experienced on the sales staff to give me advice. I did the digging on my own and drove the vehicles.

One finally item I found was that the 3/4 ton vans and 1 ton van stood taller than their 1/2 ton equivalents that necessitated me making a small adjustment to my garage door trim so that the new van could be stored inside. I realized that when I drove each test van to my home just to check. If you park inside make sure you can handle the length and height of any vehicle you are considering.

Jack
civeng99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 03:23 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
San diego , California
I should add, my women had only towed a few miles with a tiny horse trailer. I sent her off 2 hrs drive towing our 25ft trailer to the desert. She enjoyed it and said it was easy.
JunkYard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 05:08 PM   #38
3rd RV, First Airstream

2021 27' International
Orlando , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to ETroup
Nothing wrong with using a 1 ton if you:

1. Do not mind the rougher ride. Ram 2500 has coil springs in rear but 3500 has leaf springs like all other 1 tons.

2. Do not mind maneuvering a much larger vehicle in cities and parking lots. 1/2 tons starts with 5.7’ bed, then there are 6.4’ and 8’ beds. Crew cab 8’ bed 1 ton is a long vehicle.

3. Really need 2-3,000+ lbs of payload.

4. Really need space of an 8’ bed.

5. Just like or want to drive a 3/4 or 1 ton.

Over a few years, we have gone from a 1500 to 2500 and back to 2020 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel for our 2021 AS International 27 FB.

Personally probably would have stuck with the 2500 Limited Cummins however smoother ride of 1500 was an important factor to avoid aggravating wife’s vertigo.

I did upgrade to load range E tires but the engine and 4 corner automatic leveling air suspension seem completely adequate to the task both in the high 90s heat of the Gulf Coast and 7% grades of the NC mountains.

We carry quite a bit of gear. Using a Curt TruTrack WDH and a load plan that maximizes weight on the trailer wheels, keeps the tongue weight below 1,000 lbs and keeps under the GAWRs of both TV axles (on the CAT Scales) we have an easy to drive rig that compares favorably to the Ram 2500 pulling a much heavier Cougar 29bhs.

Name:	IMG_1615.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	395317
ETroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 05:59 PM   #39
Something Shiny

2017 27' International
Mosinee , Wisconsin
250 vs. 350

We have the same trailer as you and pull with a F250 diesel. You are correct in stating that the difference between the 250 and 350 is minimal from a cost perspective. When ordering our truck, the dealer suggested the 250, citing that trade-in was better for a F250. This surprised me, quite honestly and I cannot comment on the validity of the dealer’s claim. (BTW, this was a Wisconsin dealership). That said, I love the diesel. The difference between the two vehicles is a truck payload vs. ride. The dealer told us the 350 would ride a bit stiffer, but would of course have a higher truck load capacity. Take note that there is no difference in power or towing capacity. I’d never question purchase of the 350, as that is what I’d initially leaned towards. That said, we’ve never been near loading the truck itself to a point that we’ve noticed any issues of any sort.
Pongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 07:47 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Omaha , Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottP View Post
Which Truck to Buy?

We travel through the West almost exclusively, with a 27' Globetrotter in tow, and usually one motorcycle in the bed of the truck.

We tow with either an F350 Platinum, or a 3500 Denali (both Diesel trucks)

Both are Wonderful for towing (why buy a 2500 if you "know" you want to be towing the AS Globetrotter)

We have friends with a 27' Globetrotter, FULL TIME travelers and they have a Dodge Dually ... for the extra Contact patch on the road (stability)

Hitches - I'm 62 years old with some experience and at this age, always know I'm right ... just my opinion

We have never used, or needed a Pro-Pride, or Hensley WD hitch => never ever never. Never.

Your Mileage may vary. We have about 115k miles towing the AS in three years ... all West of Denver Colorado ... lots of mountain passes, lots of wind in WY, etc.

PS - we buy a Long Bed for multiple reasons which include better towing geometry. Plus I can put a BMW S1000XR or 1250GS motorcycle in the back easily with space to spare for the Honda Generators, firewood, mountain bikes etc.

Enjoy ... and congrats

Spending your cash:
Think of a softstart for your AC units (you do have dual units I assume).
Two Honda generators (don't skimp on a cheaper brand, reselling Honda is very easy)

Images - Joshua Tree Christmas Morning 2019
Your photos are exactly what we’re hoping for in just over a year! Thanks for the inspiration!