Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2014, 12:08 PM   #61
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
PS to Cory Can -

I kinda feel that the new CayS with V6TT is a step down & they should still offer the S with a V8, but understand that all makers are switching to smaller turbo motors with higher output due to CAFE mpg requirements getting higher.

I'd rather have seen Porsche do another new sub-model - say named "Cayenne Turbo" for the V6TT - & keep the S, GTS & Turbo S as V8s & just limit production to numbers which still allow them to meet CAFE. Ditto with the Diesel V6TDI, & a new "Diesel S" for the V8TDI diesel from Europe.
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 12:37 PM   #62
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
Input on Porsche Cayenne as TV (& 928's??)

Step down? Haha. That's just old "displacement" thinking. The new S will be a better driving experience in every way. More peak HP, higher and more useable torque. It's quicker and faster (even than current V8 GTS) with better fuel economy. You should probably drive their V6TT and decide if you feel the same way you do now....I suspect you wouldn't. New FI technology and programming no longer have "turbo lag".....they are smooth and powerful with lots of low end grunt and impressive peak HP.
cory_can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 03:34 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
The number of cylinders may not be so important with diesels. My 6 cylinder Cummins diesel puts out better torque than most V8 diesels.... Like probably way over 700 lb ft.

Porsche has done things their way for a long, long time. My first was a 1958 356A 1600 Normal Coupe, given to me in 1960. Have had a few since and continue to enjoy their strange way of doing things....LOL 😍
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 01:34 PM   #64
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmoto View Post
The number of cylinders may not be so important with diesels. My 6 cylinder Cummins diesel puts out better torque than most V8 diesels.... Like probably way over 700 lb ft.

Porsche has done things their way for a long, long time. My first was a 1958 356A 1600 Normal Coupe, given to me in 1960. Have had a few since and continue to enjoy their strange way of doing things....LOL 😍
I'm a `73 914-2.0 "914-S" owner since 1975 right out of college, so I hear ya!

Their Euro V8 Diesel Cayenne (Diesel S ?) has even better specs HP & TQ that the V6, but they don't want to run the USA EPA & DOT gauntlet yet again for limited sales here I suspect.

We really need worldwide standards for safety, mpg, etc. so the manufacturers can build to one set of requirements & use R&D money on advancements instead + be able to send a vehicle to any market worldwide without additional hoops.

.... of course I really doubt that will happen, short an Orwellian future!
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
Old 11-26-2014, 02:59 PM   #65
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Kudos to Franswa - who is a Porsche dealer gold certified tech, who spent about an hour on the phone with me last night covering the intricacies, quirks & problems with Cayennes.

He's cooled my interest in the early Series 1 Cayenne S 2003-05, & all but maybe a late 2006 Titanium Edition - & again I'm refocusing to Series 2 2008-10 or maybe an upcoming well priced off-lease Series 3 2011-14 S or Diesel (2013-14). In all cases I'm looking for a low mileage (+/- 70-80k mi or less) & preferably original owner or a perfect 2nd owner vehicle with immaculate service records & less than recco fluid changes + the key fixes done timely before problems arise.

As a side note, I still could also look at a Toyota Land Cruiser or V8 4Runner, VW Taureg - esp. in TDI form or V8, BMW X5 V8 or diesel, or MBZ ML350 or 550 diesel or V8, V8 Ford Explorer, etc. if something cherry came along & checked out as great condition in a pro PPI.

For others who may read this later, here's a summary of the skinny ....

First few years were a problem with a bunch of stuff going wrong & the kinks needing ironed out - as is often the case with any makers' new vehicles. My Dad used to say to stay away from the first year or two of ANY makers' new models (or significant redesigns).

Series 1 Cayenne:
2003 - Horrific - many service & tech notices came out
2004 - some improvement, but still horrible
2005 - getting better, but still a lot of tech & service advisories (fixes)
2006 - better still, but not as good as the Series 2

Aside from the teething & initial quality/QC problems, the key issues are:

The plastic coolant pipes on the engine need to be retrofitted preemptively along with the starter & water pump. If they weren't replaced until after they leaked down into the transmission/starter, then there can be all sorts of problems with the seals & transmission needing replacement or rebuilding. IIRC VW Taureg & Audi Q7 both had the plastic coolant pipes too, so this would be a fixit item there too.

Also they had problems on the early ones & some later with the individual ignition coils per cylinder were failing, so they had a factory tech bulletin to replace them with a new coil design.

Beyond that, the bushings on the lower front control arms wear out at 40-60-80,000 mi or so & can't be replaced - plus the ball joints are going bad by then, so it's a full lower control arm replacement cost & labor.

Likewise, the center supporting bushing on the Kardan Shaft (driveshaft) wears at about that time too, & likewise can't be replaced - so that's a full shaft replacement.

The high pressure fuel pumps (almost as high as diesel at 200 bar) in all series tend to go after a point & need replacement.

They all need timing belts, tensioners, etc. & water pump replaced on service interval (IIRC that was +/- 60k or so).

Also on all, the oil & other fluid changes per factory recco are too long & should be shortened or halved - especially in the early MYs, & the factory or longer changes can gunk up the motor valve train, transmission, F & R differentials, &/or transfer cases works (solenoids, actuators, etc.) such that it causes repairs needed later on, but earlier than if changed more often.

Franswa suggested a quick test for valve train problems when looking over a Cayenne: while still in park floor the accellerator up to redline & hold a few seconds & then let off - if it stumbles when back at idle, then you have an expensive valve train repair waiting!

They all need a 4 wheel alignment on a good machine annually - or more often if bad roads &/or off-roading.

All of them also need the "water box" area between the firewall & windshield base checked at every service to see that the drains are clear & no leaves/etc. built up, because they mount computers, controllers & other electronics in there - which don't do well when wet. Wet front carpets & windows steaming or fogging up ar an indicator of this water problem.

2006 Titanium Edition - I didn't realize it, but this was a late model year carry-over or "continuation model" used until the Series 2 came out in 2008 MY (& some were still being sold new then).

2007 - No Cayenne

Series 2 Cayenne:
2008-2010 - changed to direct fuel injection (DFI), so the valves don't get washed off by the fuel coming into the intakes, & they need to have the valves media-blasted/vacuumed (special tool/machine) when built up carbon deposits on the valves get too much & causing running problems. No to fellow oldtimers - we can't go out & run it hard to blast off the crud like in the old days!

They fixed most of the series 1 problems, including switched to metal coolant pipes on the engine - except 1 plastic under the distribution box (term?) which still needs replacement, as does the original coolant dist. box with the glued connections need to be replaced with the Porsche fix is a screw connector to the alum. box - & the engine need to be dropped to access them.

The lower front control arms & Kardan shaft (drive shaft) central bearing/support continue to be long term maintenance items.

2008 still used the earlier radio units, while 2009> use a later unit with a hard drive which some are now coming back for replacement. The older one was a bit funky to some & not as good as the newer unit.

And the Nav option is required to have the factory rear-view camera option, which wasn't available until 2006 MY.

Series 3 Cayenne:
2011-2014 - lighter body, slightly better fuel economy in the S V8
2013-2014 - 3.0L V6TDI Cayenne Diesel
We didn't cover these as much due to out of our budget at current prices for the diesel, but maybe after 36 month leases rollover. Also they're generally too new to have much coming back to the dealers yet.

They did switch to the 8-speed ZF transmission in 2011> as noted above.

Series 4 Cayenne:
2015> - brand new & just out, but no more V8 "S" - it's a TTV6 now as noted above by Cory Can, with only a V8 in the Turbo.

Consumer Reports loves them & the Series 2 & 3 (after bashing the Series 1), as does Andy T. at CanAm for TV duty.

Franswa warns about using them to tow at their max limits - although I know that many can & do with the Toureg & Cayenne, and that they have a relatively low payload. For us with a 3-3500# vintage TT & just 2, he thinks we're probably fine.

Note that ALL series V8 Cayennes (S, GTS, Turbo S, etc.) use a lot of gas typical of most V8s weighing in at +/- 5000#, & all eat tires in 15-20,000 miles too - perhaps helped along by the fact that they're fun to drive aggressively & most have softer performance tires on them.

Also, they & their VW & Audi cousins are premium or luxury SUVs - so parts, repairs & maintenence costs are going to be priced acoordingly higher than some other domestic & imported TV candidates - although IMHO prices for Toyota/Lexus, Nissan/Infinity & USA Big 3 parts-n-labor is not really far off anymore, since they're all using the same group of suppliers.

Additionally, read the other posts by Franswa & other posters on some of the issues which have come up. I'm probably forgetting some of the things from Franswa & that I've read heard elsewhere, but I blame it on my half-zymers - I only remember half the stuff, half the time!

NOTE TO USED/PRE-OWNED CAYENNE BUYERS:
"Excellence" magazine has their annual buyer's guide Reviews of Cayenne (& all models), & the PCA "Panamera" member magazine has "Tech Tips" which cover the Cayenne issues (& other models' too), and are well worth reading to get up to speed with them if you're considering a Cayenne - whether or not as a TV.

For me - I tend to keep & keep up my cars .... forever .... as you might tell by being the original owner of 2 of our 3 cars & 2nd owner of the 3rd, they being 1985 & 88 + 1973 respectively. We also only put less than 6,000 miles on the former 2 daily drivers PER YEAR & the `73 is under a long & slow restoration.

So I would foresee us maybe putting 3-5,000 mi/yr on the Cayenne as TV & "3rd car" - with possibly a bit more if we decided on a longer cross country trek or tow from time to time, & therefore plan to keep it indefinitely too, letting it too age into a classic vehicle as well!

More Cayenne TV towing input & ownership experience is still welcome - good & bad! .... and of course anything fun about 928!

Cheers!
Tom
///////
Old 11-26-2014, 08:57 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
The history of the Cayennes is interesting...had both 2004 and 2005 Cayenne Turbos......lots of glitches, but what a performer....Very, very expensive car to drive with the depreciation kinda like a rock off a cliff....from $103M to $37M after about 50,000 miles....

But, the new ones sound pretty good now that some of the real issues are solved. I would certainly caution anyone about purchasing an older used model....for any price. You can spend a lot of money on repairs and have so much into it one could have bought much newer.
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Old 11-27-2014, 03:27 PM   #67
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Avila Beach , California
I am probably too late to the table on this discussion ( an appropriate analogy, it being Thanksgiving and all) but would like to chime in on the question as it relates to the abilities of the Porsche Cayenne S.

We own a 2006 S with 80k miles, bought it when two years old with about 22k on it. I consistently say that one should not be so enamored by a hunk of metal, but I truly love this vehicle, it has flair, agility, speed and in my estimation, great towing capabilities. We bought it to tow some sort of trailer long before we ever took the plunge this past March and purchased a 2014 27ft FB International Onyx edition. We have replaced all the problem items discussed, e.g. cooling issue, drive line etc., but in my opinion the upkeep has not been that much more than on a domestic vehicle, and if there is a marginal difference the aforementioned flash is well worth it.

I will say that I was a bit hesitant with the size of the trailer, but my oh so lovely wife insisted on a walk-around bed- and there you have it. The Cayenne has handled the trailer better than I could have imagined- it really is amazing! We've pulled some pretty intimidating hills with what we call the "Radio Flyer", "Flyer" for short (its what Porsche calls Pure Red), and it handled them with "ease" 45 to 50 mph, in third gear @ 4,000 rpms. ( it aint a diesel, but much more sexy and a darn-sire faster when not towing) . Recently we took our longest trip, Avila Beach CA (home) 1200 miles round trip to the Oregon border, up Highway 1, which is notorious for twisties and grades along with drops to the ocean that could make a seasoned tower's palms sweat...again the Cayenne did incredibly well. Actually had many drive by craning their necks and giving us two thumbs up! As for fuel "economy", we get about 17mpg around town and when towing average 12 mpg ( we have added an after-market FabSpeed exhaust system which helps all aspects of towing, including making the Flyer sound, close your ears Mom, "really bitchin".

I could go on and on, but won't, turkey is about to be put on the table, but one of the things I really enjoy is each time we take the "Dream" out behind the "Flyer" we have at least 5 people ask " can that really pull that?, proudly I say, "with ease, piece of cake".

Finally, and I won't claim to have read all the responses in the string, and it may have already been addressed, but someone posted Airstream's performance video wherein the person opined that the tow vehicle was a Cayenne 6-cylinder...just as an FYI, it is not, it is actually a Cayenne Turbo, one can tell from the large grill configuration on the left and right of the center grill.

Hope this helps...

Happy Thanksgiving to all who read this.

Logrider

"don't let life get in the way of living"
LOGRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 04:58 PM   #68
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Hope you had a FULL-filling Turkey Day Logrider & All!

Great post & info Logrider, & no - not too late! We're still looking around.

Plus, this topic was intended to live on for any others in the future considering the Cayenne as a TV (or a 928 ), so they can search topics & find a topic specific to the Cayenne as a TV. If we actually end up with one, then I plan to post some follow-ups for folks too.

What year is your "S"?

And, what!? ... No Pix of it in tow!!??
.... Same for Ms. Moto/Tommie - pic/pix please

I noticed the post about the Cayenne towing As was actually a Turbo with the wide-mouth grill also, but figured anyone watching it would hear the dialogue that it's a Turbo S (V8).

In HS my 1st car was red - a lowly 1.1L I4 Opel Kadett that had little power - & I still got a ticket every time I turned around! It turned out when we asked a neighbor who was a San Diego PD Lt. in the 1960's that cops look for red #1, orange #2, yellow #3, any other bright color after that - sports cars, muscle cars & convertibles in those are top targets of all! So I repainted my 73 Porsche 914-2.0 in the `75 MY Copper Metallic color - which looked like metallic orange in the sunlight - & had double the problem as with the red Opel 6 years before!

So you're brave to get a screaming RED Porsche Cayenne S & run it around!

Don't know what year your TT is, but we'll be at the Pismo Vintage Trailer Rally come the weekend in mid-May (15-71 I think) at the Pismo Coast Village RV park just a bit down the road from you.

So please do stop by & visit with us & you can either tell my wife how much you like it, or we'll trade stories if we have one by then!

Cheers!
Tom
///////
Old 11-29-2014, 06:23 PM   #69
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Avila Beach , California
TomT,

Love to post a picture if some nice person will talk me through the process...for the life of me I can't figure it out, and I work with computers every day.
LOGRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 08:02 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Posting a photo is easy if it is first posted on a Flickr account, the BB Code is copied and then pasted into your post on Air-forums.
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Old 11-29-2014, 08:38 PM   #71
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOGRIDER View Post
TomT,

Love to post a picture if some nice person will talk me through the process...for the life of me I can't figure it out, and I work with computers every day.
I just scroll down below the posting window/box to the Manage Attachments grey button, & then add photos from my laptop using the browse, open & upload sequence in that little window it opens up.

I'm not much one for uploading pix to internet sites like flicker that MsMoto suggests, but that works well too & probably doesn't cut into your account's upload allowance.
Old 11-29-2014, 08:46 PM   #72
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
I found these Cayenne S Specs at a listing for a 2009 S at a Porsche dealer, so hopefully they used the correct factory ones, but note how they listed the towing capacities which I bolded in the snip below 5000# wt. bearing & 7719# WD!

.... so much for no WD on Euro SUVs & Cars!

<snipped>
Vehicle Name : Porsche Cayenne
Body Style : 4 Door SUV
Drivetrain : All Wheel Drive
EPA Classification : 4WD Sport Utility Vehicle
Passenger Capacity : 5
Passenger Volume (ft3) : - TBD -
Base Curb Weight (lbs) : 4950
EPA Greenhouse Gas Score : 6
Fuel Economy Est-Combined (MPG) : 15
EPA Fuel Economy Est - City (MPG) : 13
EPA Fuel Economy Est - Hwy (MPG) : 19
Tons/yr of CO2 Emissions @ 15K mi/year : 12.4
Dead Weight Hitch - Max Trailer Wt. (lbs) : 5000
Dead Weight Hitch - Max Tongue Wt. (lbs) : 500
Wt Distributing Hitch - Max Trailer Wt. (lbs) : 7716
Wt Distributing Hitch - Max Tongue Wt. (lbs) : 771

Engine Type : Gas V8
Displacement : 4.8L/293
Fuel System : SMPI
SAE Net Horsepower @ RPM : 385 @ 6200
SAE Net Torque @ RPM : 369 @ 3500
Trans Type : 6
Trans Description Cont. : Automatic w/OD
First Gear Ratio (:1) : 4.15
Second Gear Ratio (:1) : 2.37
Third Gear Ratio (:1) : 1.56
Fourth Gear Ratio (:1) : 1.16
Fifth Gear Ratio (:1) : 0.86
Sixth Gear Ratio (:1) : 0.69
Reverse Ratio (:1) : 3.39
Final Drive Axle Ratio (:1) : 3.55
Transfer Case Gear Ratio (:1), High : 1.0
Transfer Case Gear Ratio (:1), Low : - TBD -
Cold Cranking Amps @ 0* F (Primary) : - TBD -
Maximum Alternator Capacity (amps) : - TBD -
Total Cooling System Capacity (qts) : - TBD -
Suspension Type - Front : Independent
Suspension Type - Rear : Independent
Suspension Type - Front (Cont.) : Double Wishbone
Suspension Type - Rear (Cont.) : Multi-Link
Shock Absorber Diameter - Front (mm) : - TBD -
Shock Absorber Diameter - Rear (mm) : - TBD -
Stabilizer Bar Diameter - Front (in) : - TBD -
Stabilizer Bar Diameter - Rear (in) : - TBD -
Front Tire Order Code : - TBD -
Rear Tire Order Code : - TBD -

Spare Tire Order Code : - TBD -
Front Tire Size : P255/55ZR18
Rear Tire Size : P255/55ZR18
Spare Tire Size : - TBD -
Front Wheel Size (in) : 18 x 8
Rear Wheel Size (in) : 18 x 8
Spare Wheel Size (in) : - TBD -
Front Wheel Material : Aluminum
Rear Wheel Material : Aluminum
Steering Type : Pwr Rack & Pinion
Steering Ratio (:1), Overall : - TBD -
Lock to Lock Turns (Steering) : - TBD -
Turning Diameter - Curb to Curb (ft) : 38.4
Turning Diameter - Wall to Wall (ft) : - TBD -
Brake Type : Pwr
Brake ABS System : 4-Wheel
Disc - Front (Yes or ) : Yes
Disc - Rear (Yes or ) : Yes
Front Brake Rotor Diam x Thickness (in) : 13.78 x 1.34
Rear Brake Rotor Diam x Thickness (in) : 13.00 x 1.10
Fuel Tank Capacity, Approx (gal) : 26.4
Front Head Room (in) : 39.7
Front Leg Room (in) : 40.6
Front Shoulder Room (in) : 58.5
Front Hip Room (in) : - TBD -
Second Head Room (in) : 38.9
Second Leg Room (in) : 36.0
Second Shoulder Room (in) : 56.7
Second Hip Room (in) : - TBD -
Wheelbase (in) : 112.4
Length, Overall (in) : 188.9
Width, Max w/o mirrors (in) : 75.9
Height, Overall (in) : 66.9
Track Width, Front (in) : - TBD -
Track Width, Rear (in) : - TBD -
Min Ground Clearance (in) : 8.54
Rear Door Opening Height (in) : - TBD -
Rear Door Opening Width (in) : - TBD -
Cargo Area Length @ Floor to Seat 1 (in) : - TBD -
Cargo Area Length @ Floor to Seat 2 (in) : - TBD -
Cargo Area Width @ Beltline (in) : - TBD -
Cargo Box Width @ Wheelhousings (in) : - TBD -
Cargo Box (Area) Height (in) : - TBD -
Liftover Height (in) : - TBD -
Cargo Volume to Seat 1 (ft3) : 62.51
Cargo Volume to Seat 2 (ft3) : 19.07
<end snip>
Old 11-29-2014, 09:14 PM   #73
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Okay, so here's the rented Ford F250 4x4 from last weekend's vintage camping trip in our driveway, which clearly shows why a V8 gas or V6/V8/V10 Diesel powered Mid-sized SUVis what fits our physical needs, as well as the needle that I need to thread to back into our driveway!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1124140736.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	835.5 KB
ID:	227713   Click image for larger version

Name:	1124140737.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	804.4 KB
ID:	227714  

Name:	1124140738.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	866.8 KB
ID:	227715   Click image for larger version

Name:	1124140747a.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	793.2 KB
ID:	227716  

Old 11-29-2014, 09:28 PM   #74
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
... and this is my "Needle Threader" for the back part of the driveway & - eventually after the huge Ficus tree is removed - to maneuver back between the back of the house & front of garage & into the the backyard, perform a 180 in & out for future parking spot in our backyard!

It can also handle the trailer up & down that front driveway 8.33% incline & driveway apron slope & into the street for hitching & unhitching in street - in case I can't get folks across the street to move their cars for maneuvering room - since the street is an older 42' curb-to-curb narrow street usually found in these older 1920's neighborhoods.

If anyone is interested - This is a Power Mover trailer dolly custom built by a company in Oceanside CA & comes in smaller & larger sizes as well as this 5-wheel 1/2 HP AC unit. If only maneuvering on flat pavement we could've used their 3-wheel 1/4 HP unit - but between the front slope & the backyard turf & dirt areas, I opted for the larger unit.

BTW - The 12V battery is to operate the TT elec. brakes without a dangling jumper cable to the house battery now under the dinette inside the TT (PO had it moved from the stock original A-frame box location), & it has a 7-way hook-up to the brake switch (box by left handle). Box by right handle is for the 1/2 HP elec. motor Fwd, Off & Rev. - but the AC motor has zero braking, ergo the need for the operation of the TT brakes.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1124141507a.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	918.5 KB
ID:	227717  
Old 11-30-2014, 05:45 AM   #75
Tao
3 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Chapel Hill , North Carolina
Interesting thread.
I currently own a 2014 Cayenne DIESEL - we had a 2013 diesel as well and updated to 2014 to get an option I wanted not on our 2013.

I'm looking at purchasing another Airstream to serve my landscape photography obsession. Years back we had the 2007 Bambi Anniversary and a 2006 22' (?) something Airstream. Pulled the Bambi with an FJ Cruiser initially then a ML350 diesel - ML was FAR better TV. Towed the 22' with a F250 crew diesel and feed a few families in the desert with the money we spent on fuel!

Just my wife, myself and our cat who goes everywhere with his litter box!

I'm pondering the video linked earlier in the post showing a Cayenne towing in the test lanes - looks like a 22 or 23' flavor?????

Anyone know what length/model Airstream is in the video?
If not, I'll call the factory on Monday and ask them.

Our experience with the Porsche 2014 diesel is mixed:
1. Excellent mileage - about 25-26 in city and 33-36 interstate.
2. Great driving experience - far more power than the gas (which I drove as loaner and hated compared to our diesel).
3. Great fit and finish - 22K miles on it and no rattles, etc.
4. Now, cost of ownership if taken to Porsche dealer, which we do during warranty period, is high.
Oil change every 5K miles is min. of $225 and up.
Dealer wants fuel filter changed every 10K at $255 just for that!!
Thus, what you save with excellent MPG for this large of a SUV is all given back, and then some, with the fuel filter change expense.

Summary: It is my favorite SUV owned to date. Not a 911-S (we've had 3 over the years) but the Cayenne will tow.

Thus, need to define:
1. How well will it tow a 22-23' Airstream?
2. What to expect for cut into our fuel economy?

In short, will it work out on a spreadsheet?
Given being: Cost of 5-6 trips a year (4 short trips of 4-5 days being less than 500 miles from home and 2 trips of 21-30 days of 1,000 - 2,000 miles from home.

Equation:
Cayenne diesel with Airstream, increased fuel consumption towing and campground fees verse Cayenne and motels!

(I've started a spreadsheet analysis if anyone wants to get tweaking it as a joint project, let me know.)

Jack
Chapel Hill, NC
Tao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 07:35 PM   #76
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Gatos , California
We're starting to focus on a new or slightly used cayenne diesel as a possible towing vehicle for our planned 25' twin FC.

The MB 350 blu tech is the other choice

We' re not getting cogent feedback from the sales reps at dealers regarding what kind of options/packages we need to tow this size trailer.

Since you folks here seem to have the cayenne' down to a science, a little guidance would be appreciated so we don't end up with an inadequate TV. Please try and be specific, as you probably know, the option packages offered by Porsche are endless and confusing.

interesting up here (unless the tow packages cost 5-10K or more), diesels seem to be going for less than gas models. Maybe the delta between fuel prices in Bay Area.

Thanks to all
Estoniankid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 05:29 AM   #77
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Pulling with a Cayenne Diesel is certainly the super luxury vehicle to use. Cost of operation.... I am guessing, if one tows like I do, up to 20,000 miles in a year, with maintenance on a Porsche (7 to date) it may be an expensive journey. And when towing behind a big diesel pickup truck with the reserve power and weight combined with extra length, the overall towing experience may be much better with a truck. And in the long run, I am again guessing, but the Cayenne once it has towed for 50,000 miles may be a maintenance hog.

I am a Porsche driver since my first given to me by my Daddy in 1960 and it is in my blood. But I prefer my big Dodge for jobs like towing, my 996 Cab for touring like my recent run to Palm Desert, about 6,000 miles.

If one can afford a Cayenne maybe to have a big diesel pickup is also in the budget.... And garage space....LOL

Ms. Tommie Lauer
Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Old 12-04-2014, 08:26 AM   #78
Tao
3 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
What trailer is being towed in video by Cayenne?

Just spoke with Airstream corp. and they told me the trailer being towed between the pylons is a 23' Airstream.

Thus, seems from watching the video that a 23, having the tandem axle, is a great length to tow behind the Cayenne. Will give us the twin axles for a smoother ride and better protection in the event of a tire blowout BUT more importantly, a separate shower and toilet to keep my wife happy.
Old 12-05-2014, 11:40 AM   #79
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Tommie/Ms. Moto -

I think that any vehicle subjected to that level of towing for 50-60-70k miles will have higher ongoing maintenance costs due to higher stresses & more wear & tear on them - & more so the larger/heavier the trailer(s) are.

I know Big 3 1/2T & 3/4T pick-up owners who tow a lot & run into the same thing at that level of miles - including ball joints & suspension bushings etc., so it's a fact of life.

Same thing holds true for folks who track/race &/or autocross with their cars/suvs of all makes - more wear/tear/stress makes for more repairs & maintenance earlier in life, than if only freeway cruising & grocery/soccer mom/dad usage.

However, most good mechanics I know also recommend doing fluid changes more frequently than the factory schedule to avoid some of the wear, perhaps to the point of halving the motor & gear oil, trans/transfer case/diff fluids/oils, coolant, brake & PS fluids changes. On the above noted Cayenne Diesel that would make it 2-3k per oil change, if 5k is the factory recco.

Jack/Tao -

Was that a gas V6 or V8 Cayenne "Loaner" that you were comparing to your diesel?

Most dealerships usually use the base level Cayenne gas V6 for loaners (same at Hertz etc. for rentals), which will be much less powerful than the diesel V6 - but most who drive the V8 not towing find it a more powerful & responsive vehicle, except at low rpm's where the diesel torque comes on sooner.

Your TV usage seems to be close to what we'll have, although maybe not the annual long trip towing. IIRC the Cayenne Diesel article linked below gives the mpg whilst towing in there of an 25' AS.

Correction - he got 16.4 mpg (US) towing a 30' AS tandem axle at mostly highway speeds of 65 mpg according to the article which I just reread.

Jack/Tao & Estoniankid -

I'd suggest that you talk to Andy Thompson at CanAm RV up by Toronto about setting up any Cayenne - gas or diesel - for towing (or Taureg &/or other smaller TV). Also look at their videos & read his articles in Hitch Hints section of their Canadian RV Lifestyles magazine linked at his CanAm website - especially the one on the CayDiesel.

Can-Am RV Centre | Your Towing Experts
Can-Am RV :: Hitch Hints

RV Lifestyle - Vol. 41 No. 7 - jump to pg 6 for CayDiesel

Aside from asking Andy about the MBZ ML/GL, BMW X5, Taureg, Audi Q7, etc. Luxe SUVs in comparison, you can also do a search on here for any of those other diesel SUVs you've mentioned, & there are folks who have written about their TV experience with them in several other forum topics as well - although not necessarily in a topic on say the ML350 per se.

To me, the more maintenance intensive that I find the Cayenne Diesel is - plus the huge purchase price difference between an `06-10 V8 Cay-S, the more sense it makes to me for our particular low mileage/minimal annual use needs to go with the V8 gasser.

Estoniankid -

If it were me looking to order one new - & similarly, as I'm looking at options on the used Cayenne S's for us - the key ones for towing that I'd look for are:

1st & foremost - the factory tow option (also talk to Andy T about reinforcement of that hitch's welds/etc. for WD hitches).

> Likewise, if you're willing & able to buy a new Cayenne, then also spend the top dollar to protect your new AS+Porsche rig wit a top WD/Anti-Sway hitch like a Hensley, ProPride & maybe another maker (??). I'm just saying, it's cheap insurance to spend $2-3K for a fancy & bullet-proof hitch for a $60-80k+ SUV!

2nd - the set of options they require to get the rear view camera & that camera option (aftermarket stuff you add can cause warranty problems with Porsche BTW). Makes hooking-up so much easier! Really! I don't see why a luxe SUV maker like Porsche isn't including them on ALL Cayennes now & for years, especially considering that they're required on ALL USA vehicle in 2016!

3rd - the rear cargo handling package option (& with or add rear area divider grate thingy, if that's still offered) to safely load your trip goodies & luggage, & keep it out of the passenger area should there be an accident or need for quick maneuvers.

4th - the roof rack/rail option & so you can expand your cargo volume - if not the cargo weight capacity - with the various cargo boxes, bike & ski/board racks & other carriers they offer. Of course then you need to hoist stuff up there!

Beyond that - it's up to personal taste, needs & desires for options, but remember that they also tend add weight - thereby cutting into your payload, as well as being something else that can go wrong, and helping PAG make obscene profits on the options, while quickly climbing to the $100k mark & beyond at the sticker!

Also, IMHO it's better to stick with their 17" or 18" wheels with the taller profile tires (taller sidewalls) for both wider & better priced replacement tire choices (& they will go about every 20k miles!), as well as a better ride - especially while towing. I also prefer the simpler 5 solid spoke style factory wheels (not sure if it's still offered), with less spokes & fillagree BS to have to clean & detail in-&-around that the upgrade & upsized wheel choices have. I'm more old school on the simple alloy wheel styles in general anyway.

My 2 cents anyhoo!
Tom
///////
Old 12-05-2014, 11:54 AM   #80
Tao
3 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Hi Tom,
Please note inserts below.
Jack

[QUOTE=Tom_T;1549911]Tommie/Ms. Moto -

Jack/Tao -

Was that a gas V6 or V8 Cayenne "Loaner" that you were comparing to your diesel?

It was a very well equipped gas Cayenne, I believe as poorly as it handled it must have been a 6, sure would hope so. Dealer treats me well as we usually trade in a Porsche every year. Next time I take the diesel in for service I'll specifically ask for a V8 gas.

Jack/Tao & Estoniankid -

I'd suggest that you talk to Andy Thompson at CanAm RV up by Toronto about setting up any Cayenne - gas or diesel - for towing (or Taureg &/or other smaller TV). Also look at their videos & read his articles in Hitch Hints section of their Canadian RV Lifestyles magazine linked at his CanAm website - especially the one on the CayDiesel.

Can-Am RV Centre | Your Towing Experts
Can-Am RV :: Hitch Hints

RV Lifestyle - Vol. 41 No. 7 - jump to pg 6 for CayDiesel

Aside from asking Andy about the MBZ ML/GL, BMW X5, Taureg, Audi Q7, etc. Luxe SUVs in comparison, you can also do a search on here for any of those other diesel SUVs you've mentioned, & there are folks who have written about their TV experience with them in several other forum topics as well - although not necessarily in a topic on say the ML350 per se.

Thanks for the links and I'll give Andy a call as well progress with this mission.
Jack

To me, the more maintenance intensive that I find the Cayenne Diesel is - plus the huge purchase price difference between an `06-10 V8 Cay-S, the more sense it makes to me for our particular low mileage/minimal annual use needs to go with the V8 gasser.

Assuming it was a V6 that I drove, and that you are satisfied with the V8, I'd have to agree with you. That fuel filter cost is a joke, and still, non-towing oil change every 5K is nuts considering we are using Mobil 1!
Jack