Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-14-2004, 11:07 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
but what they say and what you get sometimes can vary greatly!

Snicker Snicker - to be a fly on the wall at the Kia dealer next week

We are negotiating some aftermarket things like rust proofing and powertrain warranty in trade for the nerf bars being left on the Kia. But if they don't come through we will yank em - not sure if they will fit - probably not - we picked them up on the way down to get MoonBeam this past winter at TruckXpressions in PE. Kia wanted about $900.00 CND for the same ones that we were able to pick up for $350.00US installed. We could always sell them and put the money towards new ones to fit the Yukon.

Can't sleep... this is almost as exciting as getting ready to pick up our GlobeTrotter. Will post pics later.
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 07:08 AM   #22
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
A few suggestions:

Rust protection is kind of a game and a crapshoot. Here in the rust belt, my immed fam has combined owned about 15 cars over the past 30-35 years with each exposed severely to the very, very salty Chicago winters. We had rustproofing on 2 cars and they still rusted. One faster than the cars without. The other, a Mercedes, held out the longest, but we figured being a Mercedes, the rustproofing was kind of moot. Since the 1990s however, GM went through significant changes to the body panels. More like Mercedes with zinc coatings and such. What I've done has been to wash the car whenever it gets dirty and wax the car a few times a year. I also POR-15 the wheel wells and the under carriage. Works better I find and has less smell than some of the tar they spray all over (at least that's what the did when we got rust proofing). Plus the only cost was my labor.
Additionally, the warranty most places provide require that upkeep on the rustproofing be done or they don't pay for rust that pops up. I find that if you care for the car as suggested (wash, wax and keep the undercarrage clean and painted as the factory GM wax coating melts away), you can get 25 years out of a car and over 100k before rust will eventually get it, by which point it's time for a replacement car/truck anyway. Laugh or not, before I POR-15d the undercarrages, I'd wax the undercarrage. It does help. Cars I did either to, had fewer floorpan issues caused from the outside elements. Of course good floormats keep the moisture away from the inside too and would also be a good investment as well.

Mudflaps, mudflaps, mudflaps. Not sure about the particular year you are looking at how GM config the body, but GM for some reason just LOVES to keep the exposed rear fender painted sheet metal. The tires kick up all kinds of fun stuff and eventually the lower rear quarter takes it really bad. Also the mud flaps added to the rear particularly will also protect the front of the Airstream from rocks that fly off the rear wheels. Being as high, the odds are greater you'll launch a projectile back there. Happened with our Impala SS. Those big tires picked up everything! I custom installed some mudflaps that hung about 1-1.5" from the ground and the small dents in the front that were happening on the Airstream totally stopped. Even when on nasty gravel roads.

If the dealer won't work with ya on the nerf bars, try eBay. Never know, someone might be able to use 'em. Even if it's only a few bucks, a buck in your pocket is always better than one in the dealers.

Have fun. I know what a fun time it is to get a new car/truck. Enjoy and happy Streamin' with your new toy!
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 04:19 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Well it is official - almost - everything is ready the appointments made. Today the Sorento had her detailing done - just can not let anything of our go without a thorough clean.

You know it is the end of your v-relation when you clean out the Glove Box - that is when it hits home.

Although she can't pull (well she did fine- but won't last) she was a looker and drove real nice.

She said her goodbyes to MoonBeam and will always be our "Kiacantoo" Vehicle - that fetched MoonBeam and took us all to our very first Rally!

Tomorrow she heads to Kia to be "decomissioned" stripped of all towing evidence FREE! then home for her last night in the Country.

Thursday is our exchange day - we get to start our new Chapter of Airstreaming with our "Brand New" 99 Yukon - so her motto is You know "Yu -Kon" take us anywhere!

On a serious note - we found out that the Yukon is only wired for a standard lights only wire harness - so we have arranged for the full RV wiring to be done FREE! (using the parts from the Kia "Decomission").

My question - when the option of a tow package back then - what did it include?? Today a towpackage autmotically provides the Brake and Charge wire if required. It has the hitch and we are told it has the heavy duty cooler - but does anyone know what the actual detials are so we can check it out to make sure it has what they say it has! Just a little gun shy - hard to trust any kind of car dealer these days.

Had a little fun with the camera today - did not hook her back up to the Kia but backed up the Kia to kiss her A/S goodbye.
Attached Images

Old 11-16-2004, 04:28 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
A few suggestions:

Rust protection is kind of a game and a crapshoot. ....

I also POR-15 the wheel wells and the under carriage......

Laugh or not, before I POR-15d the undercarrages, I'd wax the undercarrage.

Of course good floormats keep the moisture away from the inside too and would also be a good investment as well.

Mudflaps, mudflaps, mudflaps.

Have fun. I know what a fun time it is to get a new car/truck. Enjoy and happy Streamin' with your new toy!
Sorry I forgot to update you....

Yep we figured as much - with the number of our cars too over the years total hit and miss - the cleaning is the best and keep it in a cold not heated garage during the winter.

That is a great idea for the POR-15 We will try it out for sure.

Now who would laugh at you Silvertwinkie and no body would think you were any type of car fanatic either - but tell me do you iron your seats if they get creases???

Floor Mats and MudFlaps - good ones- are on the Christmas List - or maybe we can score some at the Wreckers - It is amazing what you find on older vehicles.

Did any of the 99's Yukons or Tahoes come with Fog Lamps? - this one is the top of the line model (SLT trim package + all the other options) and yet does not have them - the Denali did though - but then it was dressed in the new Body change over Style. Would like to add them to this one - any suggestions?
Old 11-16-2004, 06:42 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Input on '99 Yukon SLT vs '00-'02

Greetings GT6921!

Quote:
My question - when the option of a tow package back then - what did it include?? Today a towpackage autmotically provides the Brake and Charge wire if required. It has the hitch and we are told it has the heavy duty cooler - but does anyone know what the actual detials are so we can check it out to make sure it has what they say it has! Just a little gun shy - hard to trust any kind of car dealer these days.
In '99, the factory trailer tow package on the Yukon/Suburban did not include the trailer wiring. There is, however, a "plug-n-play" wiring kit that plugs into the factory wiring harness that my Airstream dealer had immediately available when they fitted the Suburban for towing - - the charge line had to be added as did the wiring for the brake controller. Basically, the factory trailer towing package included the receiver hitch, heavier springs and shocks, transmission fluid cooler with auxiliary electric cooling fan, heavy duty cooling (larger radiator), heavy duty shocks (front and rear), and revised spring rates front and rear. In '99, there were no trailer towing mirrors available unless one opted for the tripod mounted "West Coast Mirrors" - - these were in the option book, but I don't believe that I have ever seen them on a "main-stream" Suburban or Yukon.

Quote:
Did any of the 99's Yukons or Tahoes come with Fog Lamps? - this one is the top of the line model (SLT trim package + all the other options) and yet does not have them - the Denali did though - but then it was dressed in the new Body change over Style. Would like to add them to this one - any suggestions?
Fog/Driving lights were not a factory option on the '99 Suburban/Yukon, but were available as a dealer added accessory. This particular accessory was shared with the S-10 line. I had a set added to my Suburban before I took delivery as fog is a frequent driving condition in the Mississippi River Valley. I would suggest considering a quality aftermarket set as the dealer accessory units aren't particularly durable - - my first set lasted almost 78,000 miles and my second set will soon be ready for replacement (the housing are prone to rust and the lenses fog over in less than three seasons). The factory accessory fog lamps are really very little different than the aftermarket - - two surface mount light units with wiring and switch - - the primary difference being that the switch is designed to match the rest of the dash.

About the only accessories that I added on my '99 Suburban were the fog lamps, Z-Tech heavy duty mud flaps and Z-Tech Weather Handler floor mats. I have also been much happier with the ride characteristics after replacing the factory shock absorbers with high quality gas charged shocks (I believe that they were Blistein Comfort Shocks).

Good luck with your Yukon!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 05:47 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
We have had the Yukon just under a week now - would have posted sooner but....a lot of you know why That was an awful experience - almost as bad as quitting smoking - not having access to the airstreamforums.

Anyway we took her for a test ride this weekend and determined she is getting around 20 miles to the gallon hi-way - not bad since the Kia was getting about 17. I'm sure it will be a different story when it comes to towing.

Ordered the mudguards, window visors and bug deflector. Deciding on the fogs - wondering if we should go fancy and blow money on a bull bar/light setup or just put the extra money into a better set of fogs. Living in the country they are great - gives us an extra chance at avoiding road kill - or those creatures on the side of the road about to become road kill.

Thinking of getting a chrome tipped exhaust for the hubby for Xmas - and next year looking at the "Ride Control" air lift system for the long Caravan early 2006.

The ride is much different to that of the Kia - definitely more like a truck - but we are getting used to it! Cornering is a bit sloppy but I am sure that will be different when trailering as well.

We have since found out by the glove box codes that she is set up for trailering down to the HD suspension, coolers, dual battery systems Huge shocks and brakes even an added spring or two - basically THE WORKS - just a lucky hit on this one. The charge line and brake line are now installed and Peter hooked her up and got her nice and level on Sunday - now we just need somewhere to go - before the snow comes - Yikes!!

The girls love it too - they think they are in their own "School Bus" and I feel like I am driving a School Bus!

Our friends got to test out the comforts of being passengers and she got a thumbs up from all four of us. We think we are going to like towing with her a lot! Can't wait for the adventures to begin.

Thanks for all the info about the Yukon!!! You guys are the greatest and if we have any quesitons we know who to come to.
Attached Images