Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2019, 09:44 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
JMZJSNOW, do you have any pics of your hitch?

One thing to keep in mind is to keep the ball as close and tight to your rear bumper as possible. Any additional horizontal projection will give the trailer more influence on the tow vehicle. Effectively minimizing your wheelbase, as it's really about the wheelbase to rear overhang ratio.

Bringing in the ball will also minimize porpoising tendencies because again, it gives less leverage and influence to the trailer.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 07:45 AM   #22
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
JUSTIN , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Does your air suspension activate with key off & not running?
Most OEM air suspensions require the WD to be set when suspension de-activated.

What is your spring bar rating?

Bob
🇺🇸
The OEM air only levelizes once when the QX is turned on. So you can have the QX on or off when hooking up, but it will not check and levelize until you restart it. The WD is rated at 10K and spring bars to 1K.
JMZJSNOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 07:54 AM   #23
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
JUSTIN , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by pteck View Post
JMZJSNOW, do you have any pics of your hitch?

One thing to keep in mind is to keep the ball as close and tight to your rear bumper as possible. Any additional horizontal projection will give the trailer more influence on the tow vehicle. Effectively minimizing your wheelbase, as it's really about the wheelbase to rear overhang ratio.

Bringing in the ball will also minimize porpoising tendencies because again, it gives less leverage and influence to the trailer.
I attached two pictures of the day I brought it home. Only change I made when testing was to pull the chains tighter on the bars to only 3 links showing (made no difference though). I don't think I can make the system shorter (closer to vehicle) but will check. Appreciate the help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	QX_20190524_01.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	388.8 KB
ID:	341901   Click image for larger version

Name:	QX_20190524_02.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	341902  

JMZJSNOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 10:06 AM   #24
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMZJSNOW View Post
The OEM air only levelizes once when the QX is turned on. So you can have the QX on or off when hooking up, but it will not check and levelize until you restart it. The WD is rated at 10K and spring bars to 1K.
Do you set WD with the ignition off?

Bob
🇺🇸

Love for the Adirondacks

"It is more wiser to ponder all things with diligent suspicion, than follow with blind assumption."
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 11:52 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMZJSNOW View Post
I attached two pictures of the day I brought it home. Only change I made when testing was to pull the chains tighter on the bars to only 3 links showing (made no difference though). I don't think I can make the system shorter (closer to vehicle) but will check. Appreciate the help!
Nice setup you have there. There's a couple things you can do with the hitch.

1) Ball head angle. Need to dial in more head angle to achieve enough WD tension. Looks like it's 1 to 2 washer short of enough head angle. https://www.canamrv.ca/blog/post/hit...l-mount-angle/

2) Drop hitch has too much horizontal projection. This is more an optimization, but most definitely worth your while. It looks like it's at least 4" longer than necessary. Andy at CanAmRV is religious in shortening these to bring it close and tight to the bumper to maximize stability and sway resistance. This may be trickier as it requires cutting the drop hitch and drilling a new hole but any machine shop can make quick work of it. I did this at home with a small band saw and drill.

Robert Cross asks a good question. It's critical to set WD tension after the vehicle has leveled itself. Doing it the other way around will have the auto-leveling function relieve WD tension. Much like when using the tongue jack to lift things and relieve tension.

I have autoleveling on my LX570 too so it's something good to understand. One awesome thing with high adjustability is that I use it to lift the vehicle when approaching steep driveways and transitions to relieve WD tension and strain on the TV and trailer.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote