Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-28-2007, 09:06 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
In-bed aux fuel tanks?

Anyone use an in-bed aux fuel tank? What size do you have and do you find it helpful on trips? If you have a camper shell, what kind of fill neck do you use?
Old 10-28-2007, 09:30 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
1971 27' Overlander
1957 22' Caravanner
Jourdanton , Texas
We use a 50 Gal Transfer Flow diesel tank in the short bed of our F-250. It is in a shell and uses an a fill extension available from Transfer Flow. Some installers would not deal with the shell penetration.

Wouldn't want to travel without it. The lost cargo space is not a big deal. It gives a total fuel load of 79 Gal. If you really want to go overboard, the mfg makes replacement tanks for the stock tank.

The down side is cost of a fill when you run close to empty.

Jim
pienjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 12:11 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
We have a 91 gal. tank, it is made by RDS in Perry Fl. I bought it through Northern Tools. I have about $500.00 in it with filter and plumbing. I set up on gravity feed. I would like a Transfer Flow with all the bells and whistles but just couldn't see the money they want. I really like it. I find it very helpful on trips. We filled up in Virginia and came all the way home without stopping for fuel. We stop every 2 to 3 hours for the dogs and stretch but don't have to worry about getting into small stations or high cost fuel situations, another thing I like is it makes the truck ride smoother with a bit of weight in the back.

Marvin
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 09:03 AM   #4
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Thumbs up Great thread!

I had sort of been thinking along similar lines. I didnt know that anyone one else had been as well. I was thinking it would be nice to blow through the high dollar fuel states and to have the long reach that the auxillary tank would give. I would love to see some links and pics here

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 10:05 PM   #5
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I like the idea, too. But remember that it raises the already high center of gravity on pickup trucks, a decidedly iffy proposition. One really needs to be able to justify the trade-offs.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 10:54 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Harbors , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by pienjim
If you really want to go overboard, the mfg makes replacement tanks for the stock tank.

The down side is cost of a fill when you run close to empty.

Jim
Hi JIm...just curious what capacity "replacement" tanks can you get? I assume you mean they go under the truck where the original is?

Thanks...Tom R
TomR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 11:39 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
I would like to see figures on how much fuel you burn to carry the extra weight , ie, what does an additional30 - 40 gallons of fuel plus the weight of the tank do to your Mileage? Is it significant? It sure is in aircraft! Just asking the question.

Fully retired now!
Remember:
Never start anything before noon and always plan on being finished by 5.
I will never HAVE to be anywhere ever again!
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 11:55 AM   #8
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
A couple of years ago I bought a 5 gallon plastic can from a NAPA dealer (though I don't think it was a NAPA product). The nozzle pushes back and lets air in one hole and gas out the other. It doesn't drip and no gas smell ever (except when draining it of course) so it can stay in the back of the cab—maybe not such a good idea for safety, but that does shift weight forward. The nozzle stays on all the time and seals automatically. It has big handles on top and the side, so fairly easy to use. When the nozzle rests on/in the the filler, it holds the nozzle back. It cost about $25. Five gallons can be pretty heavy after a while, but it's a cheap solution and good for emergencies, like when every gas station is impossible to get in or out of.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 01:54 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
I have a propane fumigation system on my Duramax, which is fed by a 33 gallon RV style tank in the bed of the truck. At current diesel prices, I save about $35 in diesel per tank of propane, IF I can get it for $2 a gallon. I have been getting it for that at Flying J truckstops here in Florida and GA. I get about 800 miles per tank of propane.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 04:24 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
Dwight, I had a 50 gal. tank put in a couple of years ago and could not see ever travelling again without it. The place in Mansfield did mine. Call me if you want details...
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 07:38 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
fuel tank...

Ed, it is good to hear from you. What bed lid do you have and would you buy that one again? Do you find the 50 gallon tank ample?
Old 11-11-2007, 07:55 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Aux tank

I have been using one for years....ever since Pemex diesel was 12 cents a gallon on the Mexico side in the 70's. While I don't have one in the current duramax I would not hesitate. I even used one with a camper shell installed. A real pain to refuel but then it was worth the hastle. If your in Joshua....go to a good Tractor Supply in the area and see the options available.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 08:37 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
1971 27' Overlander
1957 22' Caravanner
Jourdanton , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomR
Hi JIm...just curious what capacity "replacement" tanks can you get? I assume you mean they go under the truck where the original is?

Thanks...Tom R
Tom you can check transferflow.com for your truck and fuel type.

Jim
Old 11-11-2007, 08:40 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
1971 27' Overlander
1957 22' Caravanner
Jourdanton , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottW
I would like to see figures on how much fuel you burn to carry the extra weight , ie, what does an additional30 - 40 gallons of fuel plus the weight of the tank do to your Mileage? Is it significant? It sure is in aircraft! Just asking the question.
Scott I did no comparison. I don't recall that it made any change in mileage.

Jim
Old 12-16-2007, 06:20 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
London , ontario
don't know if anyone is interested but Canamrv in London, Ontario have a replacement Transferflow tank in their showroom. Been there for years, was hoping it would fit my 04 Duramax but unfortunately it's for the 04.5 and up LLY.

If anyone is interested I know they want to get rid of it, just email Kirk at canamrv.ca
gowyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 07:23 AM   #16
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomR

Thanks...Tom R
The tanks go where the original tanks were. If I want to, I can get a 30 gallon front tank to replace the 18 gallon OEM unit, and a 50 gallon to replace the factory 19 in the rear. I would lose my spare tire mount, though.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:42 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick
I have a propane fumigation system on my Duramax, which is fed by a 33 gallon RV style tank in the bed of the truck. At current diesel prices, I save about $35 in diesel per tank of propane, IF I can get it for $2 a gallon. I have been getting it for that at Flying J truckstops here in Florida and GA. I get about 800 miles per tank of propane.
Pick:

Tell us more about that "propane fumigation system!" Does it enhance the mileage on diesel - or is it a stand-alone fuel alternative? Is there any risk to the Duramax - or warranty threat? This is the first time I've heard about using propane with diesel.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 11:23 AM   #18
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Propane injection on a diesel is roughly analogous to nitrous oxide in a gasoline engine.
Old 12-16-2007, 12:31 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Port Orchard , Washington
Hummm?

So by your numbers, you save $35 of diesel per 800 miles,
and it only cost you $66 of propane to do it?

Propane is used on diesel motors to get more/more power for short periods of time.
There is no "free" or cheap in a propane injection system.
You can get 20-30% more power, but you risk meltdown.
(turbo, automatic transmission, transfercase)
More power means more heat. Is your truck ready for 30% more instant heat?

The petroleum industry figured out the cost benefit ratio a few years ago.
You usually pay the same dollar per BTU(heat content) regardless of fuel type.
And the money still moves from your pocket to the flying-J pocket to travel down that superslab.

Paying less than market price any type of go-go juice is still cool.
Druupy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 03:30 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
We went the 50 gallon Transfer Flow route. Terrific. Considered replacing the existing 30 gallon tank, but the replacement was 45 gallons - not a huge difference, and for the money was not as attractive as the auxiliary in-bed tank. So combined, we have 80 gallons.

Pictures aren't great, but here are a couple of shots. The beauty of the 50 gallon mdel is it fits under a tonneau cover - something I wanted. There is a combined tank gauge and the auxiliary tank fills the standard tank automatically. Pretty cool beans. I didn't want to lose the bed space, but something had to give - a 30 gallon tank just meant re-fueling way more often than I wanted, even though we still stop to stretch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5322 (Small).JPG
Views:	141
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	50984   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5323 (Small).JPG
Views:	118
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	50985  

2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote