Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-09-2021, 05:07 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I'm just the messenger.

Consumer reports.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-09-09 at 7.04.14 PM.png
Views:	42
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	403725  
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 05:10 PM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I'm not that big on Chevy, however the way Consumer Reports (which I do subscribe to) collects there data is a bit "unique". I'd take any of their pronouncements with a bit os skepticism.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 06:03 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Scotty knows why,

Old 09-09-2021, 06:13 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
I'm just the messenger.

Consumer Reports gets real life detailed information from its many subscribers that own the particular product as well as their own testing, they purchase all their own products and aren’t beholding to anyone except there subscribers. I believe their conclusions are very trustworthy in my opinion.
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 06:29 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
You mean Captain Clickbait?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideair View Post
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 07:26 PM   #6
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideair View Post
He's the only You Tuber I just can't watch. Not only is he annoying to me but some of his advice and "facts" are way off base.
Old 09-09-2021, 07:48 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2022 20' Caravel
Orlando , Florida
I have a 2021 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali. It has had an issue with the engine not starting. It’s the small 3L duramax diesel. There are a couple service bulletins out but I’m not sure if it’s been considered fixed yet. I can’t see the consumer reports article but if I had to guess, a lot of the issues are coming from this engine. It seems like a widespread problem based on forum posts.
aarstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 07:48 PM   #8
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Was the CR report for the 1500 or the 2500/3500? I believe the 1500 but don't have a subscription to confirm. HD are different trucks of course.....

I clicked the bait above by the way (picture of an HD truck). I made it in about 40 seconds in before I have to navigate away yap yap yap yap... "and btw Volkswagen, don't ever buy one either".. etc.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 07:55 PM   #9
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
Was the CR report for the 1500 or the 2500/3500? I believe the 1500 but don't have a subscription to confirm. HD are different trucks of course.....

I clicked the bait above by the way (picture of an HD truck). I made it in about 40 seconds in before I have to navigate away yap yap yap yap... "and btw Volkswagen, don't ever buy one either".. etc.
I suffered through the whole thing just to see why "Brand new GM trucks are breaking down" and he never said why.
Old 09-09-2021, 07:56 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2021 20' Caravel
Plaistow , New Hampshire
Been happy with Ford for a lot of years.
Old 09-09-2021, 07:59 PM   #11
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Pop corn time!

Gotta love the truck wars threads.

My contribution:

I'm a Ford guy.

I have no idea who Cpt Clickbait is.
I don't take advice from Youtube--ever. Unless it's to find out how to change the brakes on an unfamiliar car. There's usually a greasy guy who knows what he's doing with a wrench in one hand an a beer on the workbench behind him who can walk you thru it. Lots of colorful language and advice that makes sense. My kinda guy.

I'm a Ford guy.

Consumer reports has lost every bit of credibility with Susan and me. Years ago, they used to buy every product they tested and put it thru the wringer. They haven't done that in decades. We stopped paying attention to them 20 years ago. Oh yeah, "ownership bias" is actually a thing. Look it up.

I'm a Ford guy.

Let's see, does that cover it? Consumer reports is biased, check. Youtube is biased, check......

I'm not a GM guy, did I mention I'm a Ford guy?

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 07:59 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
I’ve been a CR subscriber for three or four decades. It is hit and miss but most hit. Yes, they are beholden to no one. Their tests of new products often do not play out so well in the real world. But their follow-ups regarding product longevity are pretty much spot on. All in all, no one else comes close re unbiased (if there ever is such a thing) reviews. None of that listicle clickbait.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 10:04 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Williamson County , Texas
I dropped our CR subscription after wasting money on "highly rated" consumer products including an expensive washer and dryer but also smaller items like a clothes iron. They were absolutely the worst pieces of crap imaginable. All got thrown out (literally in the trash and hauled to the dump). Had I read more about the washer and dryer online at other review sites there is no way I would have bought them. Seems like folks trust them for auto reviews, but I certainly think they are worthless.
Old 09-09-2021, 10:13 PM   #14
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Should I care?😂

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0A86007B-49D6-442D-94C4-AECCABC1C604_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	363.9 KB
ID:	403729  
Old 09-10-2021, 03:33 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Church Point , NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Should I care?😂

Bob
No. You have a clearly sane rig.

Collyn
Old 09-10-2021, 04:26 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan View Post
Gotta love the truck wars threads.

My contribution:

I'm a Ford guy.

I have no idea who Cpt Clickbait is.
I don't take advice from Youtube--ever. Unless it's to find out how to change the brakes on an unfamiliar car. There's usually a greasy guy who knows what he's doing with a wrench in one hand an a beer on the workbench behind him who can walk you thru it. Lots of colorful language and advice that makes sense. My kinda guy.

I'm a Ford guy.

Consumer reports has lost every bit of credibility with Susan and me. Years ago, they used to buy every product they tested and put it thru the wringer. They haven't done that in decades. We stopped paying attention to them 20 years ago. Oh yeah, "ownership bias" is actually a thing. Look it up.

I'm a Ford guy.

Let's see, does that cover it? Consumer reports is biased, check. Youtube is biased, check......

I'm not a GM guy, did I mention I'm a Ford guy?

Jim

Seven Million Subscribers most likely would disagree with your analysis in regard to their credibility and procurement of products for testing. There reporting goes way beyond cars and trucks.

Consumer Reports Magazine
Search domain consumerreports.orghttps://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2021/10/index.htm
Consumer Reports is one of the most trusted sources for information and advice on consumer products and services, with more than 7 million paying members.

I am a many year subscriber and provide each of my daughters with a yearly subscription.
Old 09-10-2021, 05:08 AM   #17
'15 Flying Loud 20' Bambi

2014 16' Sport
2015 20' Flying Cloud
2021 25' Globetrotter
small city outside a big one , south of most, north of some
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYC2Vette View Post
I dropped our CR subscription after wasting money on "highly rated" consumer products including an expensive washer and dryer but also smaller items like a clothes iron. They were absolutely the worst pieces of crap imaginable. All got thrown out (literally in the trash and hauled to the dump). Had I read more about the washer and dryer online at other review sites there is no way I would have bought them. Seems like folks trust them for auto reviews, but I certainly think they are worthless.
Ditto. I dropped them because they went off on a "How it looks" tangent back in the 80's on a large manufacturers televisions and refused to rate them "because a child could stick a fork through the cooling fins on the rear and get electrocuted".

Yeah, it was (subjectively) ugly but...

Had the TV longer than any others I ever owned.

My kids seem to have survived.

I was not paying them for their "designer" inclinations ...
renderit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 05:29 AM   #18
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvr_Bullet View Post
Seven Million Subscribers most likely would disagree with your analysis in regard to their credibility and procurement of products for testing. There reporting goes way beyond cars and trucks.

Consumer Reports Magazine
Search domain consumerreports.orghttps://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2021/10/index.htm
Consumer Reports is one of the most trusted sources for information and advice on consumer products and services, with more than 7 million paying members.

I am a many year subscriber and provide each of my daughters with a yearly subscription.
><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

I prefer basing everything on the actual users of the product, not a bunch of white coats and paper analysts.

But it IS better than no buyer research at all.👍

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 09-10-2021, 06:25 AM   #19
Liquid Cooled

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
near Indy , Indiana
Self selecting data set is good supeficially but It's garbage for making engineering decisions.
That said, if a person is of a similar demographic and has a similar use case as the thick part of their subscribers' bell curve, it might be useful.

Scotty, otoh, oh wow. He's close, but it's like watching Archie Bunker talk about Martin Luger and the protestant reformation. It's not perfectly wrong, but you wouldn't quote him if a letter grade was on the line.
RedSHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 06:41 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
CR employees engineers for testing of products. It would be helpful if some would know facts prior to blah! blah!