Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2020, 03:25 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
I actually think that's a good idea, although it would obviously be controversial. My post was really just observations from some time on the forums. It would be interesting to see your structure for the definitive guide, and how you'd organize it.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Old 09-14-2020, 03:33 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Mountain View , California
Is he prepared for full range of expected US highway conditions? Oh, wait, the red is towing the white...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
Other side of the coin.
Old 09-14-2020, 04:08 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Frederick , Maryland
Quote:
I actually think that's a good idea, although it would obviously be controversial. My post was really just observations from some time on the forums. It would be interesting to see your structure for the definitive guide, and how you'd organize it.
It was going to be sarcastic, not serious. Basically put in all the cliches in one post so we don't have to start any more :-)
Old 09-14-2020, 04:52 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Classic
Nicholasville , Kentucky
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0571.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	442.4 KB
ID:	378654[attach
Old 09-14-2020, 04:53 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Classic
Nicholasville , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYShelby View Post

Mileage was great, just sore legs!
Old 09-14-2020, 04:57 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Classic
Nicholasville , Kentucky
Had to take this photo this past February, plastic truck made for some fun. First Grandchild’s first birthday and he loves it. Click image for larger version

Name:	Adjustments.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	284.3 KB
ID:	378655
Old 09-14-2020, 04:59 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Mountain View , California
ProPride - you are cheating. Not enough truck!

Quote:
Old 09-16-2020, 12:03 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

Church Point , NSW
A lot of the problem appears to be that many TT vendors and buyers are either unaware of Newton's more basic laws of motion - or assume they are immune.

Collyn
Old 09-16-2020, 12:05 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

Church Point , NSW
Quote:
Had to take this photo this past February, plastic truck made for some fun. First Grandchild’s first birthday and he loves it. Attachment 378655
And even full Ackerman steering!
Collyn
Old 09-16-2020, 01:33 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
This post is really just an early observation, including some Sunday afternoon babbling as I watch some NFL football. I find this site very useful and informative, and I love the entertainment value. Keep it up Air Forums!
Hi, you totally lost me when you had to mention the *%^$#@*&^$ NFL.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 09-16-2020, 05:12 AM   #31
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Bob
🇺🇸

I'm considering getting a dually for toeing... 👍
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	69D5C5C5-6E8D-448F-8ED3-8FFBF2FC2A87_4_5005_c.jpeg
Views:	40
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	378747  
Old 09-16-2020, 07:18 AM   #32
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, you totally lost me when you had to mention the *%^$#@*&^$ NFL.
I’m with you. I had far less enthusiasm than past years. I’m much more interested in NHL playoff hockey, and in Formula 1 racing.

Past:
Newmar Ventana 3715
Old 09-16-2020, 07:58 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
Mud wrestling is more my speed.
Old 09-16-2020, 08:49 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Bob

[emoji631]

I'm considering getting a dually for toeing... [emoji106]

Nicely done!
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
Old 09-16-2020, 09:54 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

Church Point , NSW
Quote:
I'm pretty new to this site, although I've towed many trailers with a variety of tow vehicles of the years. I must say that I've found the debates on this site informative, but also quite amusing at times.

On one side of the argument, there are the people who aggressively argue that you can tow a Classic 33 FB with a Buick Encore, with no problem whatsoever. The Classic has a dry weight of 8,261 lbs. and a hitch weight of 1,175 lbs. The Encore has a max payload capacity of 1,018 lbs. and isn't recommended for towing. No matter, there will be somebody who argues that it's more than enough with a weight distribution hitch, and they've towed this exact combination over 50,000 miles over extreme mountain passes.

On the other side of the argument, there are the people who argue that an F350 Super Duty with a payload capacity of 7,850 lbs. and a max towing capacity of 37,000 lbs. will struggle to pull a Bambi 16RB with a dry weight of 3,000 lbs. and a hitch weight of 430 lbs. They'll argue that they've seen people struggle with this combination, and they need to consider an even bigger truck.

The thing that I find amusing is how strongly people feel about this topic. When you ask for opinions on an Internet forum, you'll most certainly get them. And you may not agree with them! I'm not directing this at any specific person or post, I'm just pointing it out as a general observation. My examples above are clearly exaggerated for effect, but they aren't that far from some of the things that I've seen here!

I think the debate centers on one major thing: risk tolerance. Some people are more conservative, and they want to stay within the recommendations of the manufacturer of their tow vehicle and their trailer. They don't want to push the limit. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that approach. Some people are more comfortable pushing or exceeding the limits, as they feel that the published limits are overly conservative. There's nothing wrong with that either, to a point.

This post is really just an early observation, including some Sunday afternoon babbling as I watch some NFL football. I find this site very useful and informative, and I love the entertainment value. Keep it up Air Forums!
Towing reality (if via an overhung hitch) is that, unless towed by an infinite mass, it is fundamentally unstable. It can hower be 'tamed' with reasonable limits - that relate to various factors - in particular the length of the trailer relative to the wheelbase and weight of the tow vehicle.

As many of the forces involved with the square of the speed, the major risk is excess speed for any particular rig. It is reasonably possible to estimate this speed (and I do so elsewhere in several of my publications). A major one, however is tow ball weight. This is now a serious issue in my country (Australia) where many trailer makers 'recommend' as little as 4%.

The only truly stable trailer is the fifth-wheel concept - where the tow hitch is above the tow vehicle's rear axle/s. If God was a trailer user She would use one.

Our major one right now is safeguarding koala bear habitats - truly! Mad farmers seek to limit them. It almost brought our Federal govt down earlier this week - it is currently Democrat - but left of the US equivalent.

Collyn
Old 09-17-2020, 06:06 AM   #36
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
I saw a promotional video for the new Ford F-150 all-electric truck. In that video, a prototype of this truck pulls a 1,000,000 lb. locomotive. So, it can obviously tow any Airstream that weighs less than 1,000,000 lbs., right?

Past:
Newmar Ventana 3715
Old 09-17-2020, 08:33 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
Quote:
I saw a promotional video for the new Ford F-150 all-electric truck. In that video, a prototype of this truck pulls a 1,000,000 lb. locomotive. So, it can obviously tow any Airstream that weighs less than 1,000,000 lbs., right?
...but only if you reduce tire pressure and lower tension on spring bars--don't want to pop any rivets on that locomotive!
Old 09-17-2020, 06:36 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

Church Point , NSW
Quote:

No!
The ability to tow a trailer via tow vehicle that has an overhung hitch requires far more than just 'pulling power'.

One can more or less take it for granted that an electrically-powered truck has that pulling power - not least as electric motors develop maximum torque at zero rpm.

It is possible to write books this (I know that as I do!) but the main requirement is to be able to withstand and counteract the trailer's inherent tendency to sway. A good starting point is that it's laden weight really needs to be equal to (and ideally more) than that of the laden trailer. Here an electric truck is likely to have the edge as present-day batteries are far heavier than fossil fuels (for energy 'content).

Furthermore the longer the trailer the important that is.

Collyn
rvbooks.com
Old 09-17-2020, 06:58 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
I don't know, maybe it's just me but I'd rather carry camping and leisure gear than batteries.
Old 09-17-2020, 07:57 PM   #40
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collyn View Post
No!
The ability to tow a trailer via tow vehicle that has an overhung hitch requires far more than just 'pulling power'.

One can more or less take it for granted that an electrically-powered truck has that pulling power - not least as electric motors develop maximum torque at zero rpm.

It is possible to write books this (I know that as I do!) but the main requirement is to be able to withstand and counteract the trailer's inherent tendency to sway. A good starting point is that it's laden weight really needs to be equal to (and ideally more) than that of the laden trailer. Here an electric truck is likely to have the edge as present-day batteries are far heavier than fossil fuels (for energy 'content).

Furthermore the longer the trailer the important that is.

Collyn
rvbooks.com
Agreed!

My post was a bit “tongue in cheek”. I fall on the more conservative side of the towing vehicle debate.

Past:
Newmar Ventana 3715
Closed Thread