Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2019, 09:06 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Frederick , Maryland
I think people are mis-interpreting the comment about basic vehicles. It is not that everyone who buys a Toyota is looking for a basic vehicle, but most people looking for a basic vehicle buys a Toyota. Big difference.
Old 01-27-2019, 09:19 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by KK4YZ View Post
It’s a 1/2 ton. Payload depends on truck configuration. Mine (Crew Cab 4x4) has a dry weight of 5700 lbs and GVWR of 7200.
Do you know your payload? I'm curious, as I'm seeing 1,600 pounds give or take for the '19's.
Old 01-27-2019, 12:26 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by majorairhead View Post
Do you know your payload? I'm curious, as I'm seeing 1,600 pounds give or take for the '19's.
Payload is the difference between vehicle weight (5700) and GVWR (7200). Approx 1500 lbs in my case. The 5700 is no passengers, no cargo but I think a full tank of fuel.

I weighed my rig on the way back from a trip. Full water tank; truck bed loaded up with stuff & tools.The front and rear axles totaled up to just under GVWR. however I was a good bit below the GAWR (gross axle weight rating) on both axles. The truck & trailer handle very well. Good power & stability.
Old 01-27-2019, 12:34 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
You can’t argue with these guys.
What’s to argue about? You just keep putting yourself in the unenviable position of telling very satisfied Toyota owners that they’re all wrong, in spite of their experience with the product. Nobody is questioning your choice of vehicles. You drive what you want. Methinks you have a serious case of Toyota-envy 😳
Old 01-27-2019, 12:46 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Ojai , California
Quote:
What’s to argue about? You just keep putting yourself in the unenviable position of telling very satisfied Toyota owners that they’re all wrong, in spite of their experience with the product. Nobody is questioning your choice of vehicles. You drive what you want. Methinks you have a serious case of Toyota-envy 😳
The problem is that there are just to few people towing with them in the real world. On any given day there is usually only one towing anything at a given park. If they were really so good wouldn't more people tow with them? I mean if there are 100 bumper pull rigs out there and only one has a Toyota, doesn't that say something? I don't mind what you tow with either, but 99 people out of 100 are all wrong?
Old 01-27-2019, 12:52 PM   #26
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Lady in our unit came to California with her Toyota. The Toyota was so reliable that most of the members of her extended family now drive Toyotas. She now tows with a Tundra. Pat
Old 01-27-2019, 01:28 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Payload is the difference between vehicle weight (5700) and GVWR (7200). Approx 1500 lbs in my case. The 5700 is no passengers, no cargo but I think a full tank of fuel.

I weighed my rig on the way back from a trip. Full water tank; truck bed loaded up with stuff & tools.The front and rear axles totaled up to just under GVWR. however I was a good bit below the GAWR (gross axle weight rating) on both axles. The truck & trailer handle very well. Good power & stability.
What does your payload spec limit sticker say in your doorjam on your Toyota?? If it does not say 1500lbs, it's not 1500lbs...just saying. Toyota makes a fine truck in both Tundra and Tacoma, but when your spec payload is under 1400lbs with a 25'AS or larger, you may well be out of spec. Now add 350-400lbs of driver/passenger, a generator, gas, firewood, campgear in the bed, plus 800+lbs of toungue weight...oh, did you want to add a kayak and racks and stay in spec??

Drive what you want and think what you want; many here do just that. This isn't about mine is bigger or better than yours discussion; it is fact. Face it; you can stick the mfg. specs in front of some folks, and still get disagreement; references to "other" data...but the specs are the specs. Note that you can change out the wheels in your TV and that can change the specs...Each truck/trim level is different; the more trim the less the payload. What does your doorjam spec say is" Payload not to exceed" number? Maybe your fine...don't just assume...I did that with my F150 Platinum and it was 1039 lbs...I was always overloaded and did not know the few years I owned it pulling my 25' AS's. When I looked at Tundras on the lot along with 1500RAM's 18months ago, finding anything above 1300lbs payload on the door jam was a challenge for both me and the sales guys....
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 01-27-2019, 01:32 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
I mean if there are 100 bumper pull rigs out there and only one has a Toyota, doesn't that say something? I don't mind what you tow with either, but 99 people out of 100 are all wrong?
Never said they’re all wrong. There are plenty of people on this forum that tow with a Tundra and say they love the vehicle. Are they all wrong? And I think the 1 out of 100 is hyperbole based on what I see at the rallies.

I guess I was never one to just follow the crowd.
Old 01-27-2019, 02:00 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
What does your payload spec limit sticker say in your doorjam on your Toyota?? If it does not say 1500lbs, it's not 1500lbs...just saying. Toyota makes a fine truck in both Tundra and Tacoma, but when your spec payload is under 1400lbs with a 25'AS or larger, you may well be out of spec. Now add 350-400lbs of driver/passenger, a generator, gas, firewood, campgear in the bed, plus 800+lbs of toungue weight...oh, did you want to add a kayak and racks and stay in spec??

Drive what you want and think what you want; many here do just that. This isn't about mine is bigger or better than yours discussion; it is fact. Face it; you can stick the mfg. specs in front of some folks, and still get disagreement; references to "other" data...but the specs are the specs. Note that you can change out the wheels in your TV and that can change the specs...Each truck/trim level is different; the more trim the less the payload. What does your doorjam spec say is" Payload not to exceed" number? Maybe your fine...don't just assume...I did that with my F150 Platinum and it was 1039 lbs...I was always overloaded and did not know the few years I owned it pulling my 25' AS's. When I looked at Tundras on the lot along with 1500RAM's 18months ago, finding anything above 1300lbs payload on the door jam was a challenge for both me and the sales guys....
I stand corrected. The sticker says 1300lbs payload. But, not assuming anything,
I went to the scales and confirmed that I’m (just) below GVWR. And a good bit below GAWR on both axles. This is with everything loaded up. The same sticker also specs tires inflated at 30 psi front and 33 psi rear. When I replaced tires I went to a higher load rating @ 50 psi max. I keep them at 45psi. Always thought GVWR and, especially GAWR were the numbers to watch..., and are the ones most readily measured.

The same trip to the scales told me that I’m 1000lbs short of the 6000lb GVWR of the 23D, which means that I can (and do) move some of the stuff from the truck to the trailer for added margin.
Old 01-28-2019, 01:44 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
I think it’s the “Toyota pickups are the second coming of Christ” attitude that annoy s people.

Yet completely forget about 225,000 Toyota pickup truck frames that were rusted trash costing $3.4 billion in repairs among other issues.

Old 01-28-2019, 03:47 AM   #31
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zybane View Post
I think it’s the “Toyota pickups are the second coming of Christ” attitude that annoy s people.

Yet completely forget about 225,000 Toyota pickup truck frames that were rusted trash costing $3.4 billion in repairs among other issues.

Is that from too much tongue weight?
Old 01-28-2019, 05:13 AM   #32
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zybane View Post

You see, us Toyota people don't forget about things like rusty frames or leaky head gaskets, (see my post #4). We admit that Toyota isn't perfect, and so does Toyota, as it repaired and replaced every rusty frame......and yet I have a Dodge 2500 Cummins outside with a frame that would at any moment do the exact same thing. Will Dodge replace my frame? Not a chance, and you know it!

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Old 01-28-2019, 05:15 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
You see, us Toyota people don't forget about things like rusty frames or leaky head gaskets, (see my post #4). We admit that Toyota isn't perfect, and so does Toyota, as it repaired and replaced every rusty frame......and yet I have a Dodge 2500 Cummins outside with a frame that would at any moment do the exact same thing. Will Dodge replace my frame? Not a chance, and you know it!

Cheers
Sidekick Tony
I have photos of a Ram in the shop getting a frame replacement under warranty. I suspect overloading but FCA didn’t even question it.
Old 01-28-2019, 07:56 AM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Pleasant City , Ohio
Quote:
What’s to argue about? You just keep putting yourself in the unenviable position of telling very satisfied Toyota owners that they’re all wrong, in spite of their experience with the product. Nobody is questioning your choice of vehicles. You drive what you want. Methinks you have a serious case of Toyota-envy [emoji15]

Toyota hate and corresponding envy is real! Haha
Old 01-28-2019, 09:11 AM   #35
4 Rivet Member

Dayton , OH, 2017 33' Classic 8,561 dry
Its not Toyota's fault that lady put the grocery bags at the very back of the bed. Just humor guys Toyota still builds the best 1/2 ton truck of the 1980s. I'm sorry I couldn't resist but I'm sure it will come back to me. Wait late breaking it was a 5 gallon gas can at the back of the bed needed to get her to the grocery AND home due to the class lagging fuel economy. Toyota had it pegged that she could get gas while at the grocery. Again not Toyota's fault.
Transportr AS & TT Mfg 2 dealr RAM ED factory brake controller tow mirror hitch camera & receiver 1,290/12k, No sway WDH, Adj. hitch, axle 2 frame air bags, tune w turbo brake, SLT Grill, 31.9" load tires, Max ED tow 9,200, GCAR 7,800, Max Ram 1500 GCVW 15,950, truck hitches steer 3,240 drive 2,560
Old 01-28-2019, 09:16 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
I stand corrected. The sticker says 1300lbs payload. But, not assuming anything,
I went to the scales and confirmed that I’m (just) below GVWR. And a good bit below GAWR on both axles. This is with everything loaded up. The same sticker also specs tires inflated at 30 psi front and 33 psi rear. When I replaced tires I went to a higher load rating @ 50 psi max. I keep them at 45psi. Always thought GVWR and, especially GAWR were the numbers to watch..., and are the ones most readily measured.

The same trip to the scales told me that I’m 1000lbs short of the 6000lb GVWR of the 23D, which means that I can (and do) move some of the stuff from the truck to the trailer for added margin.
Another area to be clear; the specific tires your running on your TV or AS need to be filled according to the Mfg. charts. Good to weigh your rigs, as you have done; now go to the tire mfg. load chart from tire mfg; not the vehicle chart...each mfg. of tires is different...and that can affect your safety; the tire load chart is important . Lots of posts here about that also; I'm no where near a tire expert, but have been corrected by a couple on the Forum....
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 01-28-2019, 09:23 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
As for the "love the Toyota" crowd, great truck...if your not interested in larger payload, pulling larger TT's, gas mileage...they indeed have great trade in value too. I trust Toyota will increase the payloads and come into the 21's century with an 8 or 10speed tranny, increase their gas mileage and maybe increase their HP and torque also... They do build a nice truck... for some folks...
Old 01-28-2019, 10:41 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Another area to be clear; the specific tires your running on your TV or AS need to be filled according to the Mfg. charts. Good to weigh your rigs, as you have done; now go to the tire mfg. load chart from tire mfg; not the vehicle chart...each mfg. of tires is different...and that can affect your safety; the tire load chart is important . Lots of posts here about that also; I'm no where near a tire expert, but have been corrected by a couple on the Forum....
Hi wally
Actually I have done exactly that when I bought new tires. I went with Yokohama’s that have a higher load rating than the original tires. I don’t remember the #s off hand but @45 psi I’m better off now than before.
Old 01-28-2019, 03:46 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Warrenton , Virginia
Toyotas are an appliance with no soul. That is the trade-off in being able to neglect the cars for sustained periods and it still function properly.

My family has taken many cars over the 200k mark with ease from different manufactures. Proper maintenance is all it takes to go the long haul.

The only two cars I gave up on as trash were a Saab 9-3 SS and Dodge Caravan AWD (keyword AWD = terrible).

Whatever mainstream car out there some joker has put 400,000+ on it! The cars today are so good compared to decades ago.
Others: 1971 Chevy C-10 with 5.3 LS and T5 conversion, 1983 Jeep Cherokee Pioneer (FSJ) with 5.3 LS and SM465 conversion, 1979 Porsche 911SC
Old 01-28-2019, 04:55 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
A fleet of Toyotas may have no soul, but I can tell you that a fleet of FIVE assorted Volvo vehicles is the depths of wrench-swinging hell. Stuff breaks constantly, and the parts were NOT cheap. Yeah, it was fun to blow away BMWs with the 760 Turbo Intercooler setup with the trick rear end and big gas tank (you needed every bit of fuel capacity at full throttle), but the turbo only lasted 40,000 miles even if babied, and it was 6 hours and $1,200 in parts to fix it when it wore out.

DW finally told me to sell/pass to the kids every darn one of them and start buying a Toyota fleet again. Yup, boring, solid, run forever with minimal scheduled maintenance. When it comes to transportation, I'd rather not be excited by near constant 'repair experiences', or lousy gas mileage when I romped on it...Thank You Very Much...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
Closed Thread