Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-24-2018, 11:53 AM   #101
4 Rivet Member

Dayton , OH, 2017 33' Classic 8,561 dry
Occupation has allowed me to see many 500k to 1m mile diesel pickups. Only seen one 1m mile Toyota on the internet. No one was questioning Toyota's durability. But appreciate the reply.

scroon Don't think the OP is looking for an HD per his goals and post.
Transportr AS & TT Mfg 2 dealr RAM ED factory brake controller tow mirror hitch camera & receiver 1,290/12k, No sway WDH, Adj. hitch, axle 2 frame air bags, tune w turbo brake, SLT Grill, 31.9" load tires, Max ED tow 9,200, GCAR 7,800, Max Ram 1500 GCVW 15,950, truck hitches steer 3,240 drive 2,560
VernDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 11:56 AM   #102
2 Rivet Member

Yaphank , Arizona
[emoji106] ok Vern diesel
scroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 01:39 PM   #103
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkcurtiss View Post
If you want to know what the best vehicle for towing is, look at what the people that tow for a living use.....
There is a huge difference in what a vehicle is capable of, and what it does easily. If you are revving your engine to 5-6000 rpm to pull your load, you are going to tear up your vehicle. If you can pull the same load in the same circumstance, and rev 3000 rpm, you are in much better territory.
People that tow every day, use heavy duty vehicles, because they do not work as hard, and will last longer. This is not rocket science.....
If your vehicle is squatted by the tongue weight of your trailer, it is overloaded.
Just because you make some modification with air suspension, or some other aftermarket mod, does not mean that it is still not overloaded...….You are always better off with more vehicle than you need, rather than less.....that is, unless you like spending time on the side of the road, waiting on a tow truck, and ruining a vacation.
You must be talking about this case where one is better off with a heavy duty professional tool...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...up-189619.html
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 07:25 PM   #104
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Excella 500
2017 30' Classic
Grapeview , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by VernDiesel View Post
Occupation has allowed me to see many 500k to 1m mile diesel pickups. Only seen one 1m mile Toyota on the internet. No one was questioning Toyota's durability. But appreciate the reply.

scroon Don't think the OP is looking for an HD per his goals and post.

Bingo...............
sbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 07:33 PM   #105
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Excella 500
2017 30' Classic
Grapeview , Washington
Humor time out.

The little guys want to play w/the big boys. Let them, makes them feel good and that is a good thing for both.

Be well, safe travels, and best regards.
Old 11-25-2018, 08:05 AM   #106
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimms View Post
Again want to say thanks for all the input and just to clarify our situation. I do require a pickup for the hauling that I am often doing, but I still don't think I, personally, would want or need a 3/4 ton. My truck is my daily driver and getting into tight parking spots can be a hassle even with the Tacoma (wheelbase just 127 inches). Also, the door sticker restricts payload to just over 1100, and we don't want to be forced minimalists. I think we could be comfortable with 1500 or 1600 though. We won't be looking to upsize from our 23FB. We went down that slippery slope in our boating days. Nothing bigger than the 23 will fit in our yard and we don't want the added expense of off-site storage.

Since starting this thread I've been reading and considering options. I think diesel would be nice, but there is the added cost. At this point I think I'm leaning toward the F150 Eco. Most on other threads think it would be a great match for the 23.
Happy Thanksgiving!
And you will be very happy with that F150EB...pretty sure, from my experiences!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 04:19 PM   #107
1 Rivet Member

2019 25' International
2019 25' International
McKinney , TX
I too went through this same decision point a few months back when I decided to sell my Nissan Frontier which I was using to pull my 2018 FC 19CB. While a bit lighter than your 23, it was still a struggle. I also plan to move up to a FC 25 footer in the spring and thus also needed more capacity anyway. I went for the F150 V8 (for me there were too many moving parts in the Ecoboost engine, and I like acceleration ramp, smoothness & sound of a V8) with full tow package and 3:55 axle... I have absolutely no regrets and now barely feel the trailer.
Jkohnle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 10:27 PM   #108
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkohnle View Post
I too went through this same decision point a few months back when I decided to sell my Nissan Frontier which I was using to pull my 2018 FC 19CB. While a bit lighter than your 23, it was still a struggle. I also plan to move up to a FC 25 footer in the spring and thus also needed more capacity anyway. I went for the F150 V8 (for me there were too many moving parts in the Ecoboost engine, and I like acceleration ramp, smoothness & sound of a V8) with full tow package and 3:55 axle... I have absolutely no regrets and now barely feel the trailer.
Hi,

I keep hearing this concern, but actually the Ecoboost has 2 less cylinders, which would mean 25% less moving parts and then you could add two turbos. So now the Ecoboost has 77% of the moving parts of a 5.0 V-8.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 07:37 AM   #109

2007 25' Safari SS SE
Clarksville , Tennessee
To each his own, but. I have a 2006 Tacoma, V6, 6 spd manual and towing pkg. And have a 2007 25ft Safari. There have been a few times when I would have preferred more HP, but I have gotten used to what I have. Pulling between Reno and Phoenix, there are only a few grades that slow me down and pulling between Zion NP and Reno, also just a few grades that take patience. The nice thing about the Tacoma is that it does perform adequately and it fits in the garage. I prefer fewer HP and a truck that I don't leave outside. 207K miles on the Tacoma and approx 50K on the AS.
bruce1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 08:14 AM   #110
2 Rivet Member

2018 23' International
Guilford , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce1 View Post
To each his own, but. I have a 2006 Tacoma, V6, 6 spd manual and towing pkg. And have a 2007 25ft Safari. There have been a few times when I would have preferred more HP, but I have gotten used to what I have. Pulling between Reno and Phoenix, there are only a few grades that slow me down and pulling between Zion NP and Reno, also just a few grades that take patience. The nice thing about the Tacoma is that it does perform adequately and it fits in the garage. I prefer fewer HP and a truck that I don't leave outside. 207K miles on the Tacoma and approx 50K on the AS.
Bruce1, where does this put you in terms of payload? I would think very close to the limit or over. At just over 1100 with my 2016 Taco, this is one of the reasons I plan to upgrade.
Pimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 08:25 AM   #111
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
I think body size maters. The Tacoma feels tiny. I had a tall friend that had to sell his because he didn’t fit in it.
Kanusport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 04:14 AM   #112
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
I’m a little over 6’5” and fit fine in my Tacoma. I think overall Toyota’s don’t have the same amount of driver leg room as domestic trucks, but I’ve just gotten used to it. My Tundra doesn’t have as much driver leg room as I’d like either, but it is ok. Maybe not the same mpg as a ecoboost, but I’ll choose reliability over most anything. I’m sure all the newer trucks have close to equal reliability, but it wasn’t that long ago that that wasn’t the case.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 01:47 PM   #113
1 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Alexandria , Kentucky
Quote:
Thanks for the replies! F150 is definitely in the running and I will have a look at Tundra. For those that have shopped around and ended up with Tundra, how did it compare price wise compared to others? Are real tow mirrors an option on Tundra? Any Silverado fans?
My TV is the 2015 Silverado 1500 with Z71 package and LTZ. I am in love with this truck! It has the 6.2L engine, and when on long flat stretches, it shuts down 4 cylinders, improving mileage by quite a bit. I am towing a 23' FB Flying cloud, and it is fairly easy to forget it is back there with the Silverado. Mileage when I am hooked up with the AS is about 9 mpg and when being driven over the road without the AS, I get 18-22 mpg.

Honestly, the thing that scares me the most about the Silverado are the 36 on board computers! I am absolutely certain those will come back to haunt me once the Silverado starts to age out. I purchased insurance from the dealer that is SUPPOSED to address those anticipated problems, but we'll see about that when the time comes. I take pretty good care of my vehicles, and after three years I've still got the new car smell.

I bought the crew cab version, and I am happy that I did. I can carry a lot of stuff in the cab, and since I'm a packrat...that is a good thing! As for comfort, I've got the leather interior, and this is probably the most comfortable vehicle I have EVER driven. As for the Diesel v. Gas debate, I was originally leaning toward the diesel side of things, but am very pleased I ended up with the gas version of the engine. No problems climbing hills, braking down long grades, or traction. I wish that I had this vehicle when I was living in Alaska...if for no other reason that I get the feeling that I have NEVER lost traction in any circumstances while driving this vehicle.

Price wise, I probably paid too much money for the Silverado, but it was only the second time I've every owned a new vehicle, and a person wants what they want. As a public school teacher, I owned my fair share of busted ass used vehicles...the only kind I could really afford. When I looked at the prices of the vehicles I wanted, I decided that if I was ever going to spend the money on what I wanted, it had to be now. Completely pleased with my selection! I think I might finally be of an age where I don't want to rebuild any more engines. Besides, shade tree mechanics in a world of digital dependence is probably not as good a match with my skills at this point.

Finally, regarding the mirror issue, I purchased a set of Longview mirrors from Etrailer, and they work great! They are specifically matched with whatever your TV happens to be, and they slide over the existing mirror without changing its viewing characteristics. Once they are mounted (a one-screw latch that fits on the edge of the existing mirror) you need to adjust the outer mirrors. This setup gives me a trailer long view of both sides. Pretty impressive for a set of mirrors that I had little expectation of them working at all. Don't buy these until you are certain of the TV...but they were in the $50 range, so they don't break the bank in any way.

Good luck. that's my $.02 worth regarding the Silverado.

-Kurt-
istdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 09:06 AM   #114
2 Rivet Member

2018 23' International
Guilford , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by istdoc View Post
Honestly, the thing that scares me the most about the Silverado are the 36 on board computers!

Price wise, I probably paid too much money for the Silverado, but it was only the second time I've every owned a new vehicle, and a person wants what they want. As a public school teacher, I owned my fair share of busted ass used vehicles...the only kind I could really afford.

Good luck. that's my $.02 worth regarding the Silverado.

-Kurt-
Thanks for the Silverado input. 36 computers - holy mackerel! I wonder how typical this is of today's vehicles. I too, have only purchased a brand new vehicle one time, and that I my current Tacoma. I have had pretty good luck with low mileage used in the past and would consider going that route again if I could find something that matched my wants and needs.
Pimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 06:53 AM   #115
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
I too, have only purchased a brand new vehicle one time, and that I my current Tacoma. I have had pretty good luck with low mileage used in the past and would consider going that route again if I could find something that matched my wants and needs.

If you are considering used I would go after a Tundra. They have not significantly changed them since 2007, and they may be the most reliable truck out there.

Now having said that, I think the future is with turbocharged gas engines. We have four in our family and they have been great. They give you the low end torque of a diesel motor, don’t lose power at higher elevations and lots of power and smoothness at high rpm’s with none of the disadvantages of diesel motors.

Good luck and happy truck shopping.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 03:31 PM   #116
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Excella 500
2017 30' Classic
Grapeview , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post
disadvantages of diesel motors.

Good luck and happy truck shopping.

Dan

Disadvantages?

Safe travels and best regards
Old 12-07-2018, 12:37 PM   #117
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbowman View Post
Disadvantages?

Safe travels and best regards
Disadvantages....fuel & maintenance costs I would think. That's my only negative on my F250 6.7L. However, if I go back to a 25 or smaller AS, I would seriously trade down and get an F150 EB again, or 6.2 L GM 1500.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 12-07-2018, 01:07 PM   #118
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Disadvantages....fuel & maintenance costs I would think. That's my only negative on my F250 6.7L. However, if I go back to a 25 or smaller AS, I would seriously trade down and get an F150 EB again, or 6.2 L GM 1500.
I would add higher tailpipe emissions relative to gasoline vehicles (even with recent mitigation, they are not as clean); fuel price variability (seasonal competition with home heating oil drives prices up in winter); less suitable for very low duty cycle use (not good if only used for shopping trips); cold starting (depending on ambient temperatures where one lives, likely not an issue for some); increased criticality of fuel quality (how often do people change fuel filters in a gasoline engine....?); engine noise (can be mitigated with sound dampening); and getting fuel on your hands when refueling (my wife's biggest issue, can be addressed with gloves).
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 09:40 AM   #119
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
I would add higher tailpipe emissions relative to gasoline vehicles (even with recent mitigation, they are not as clean); fuel price variability (seasonal competition with home heating oil drives prices up in winter); less suitable for very low duty cycle use (not good if only used for shopping trips); cold starting (depending on ambient temperatures where one lives, likely not an issue for some); increased criticality of fuel quality (how often do people change fuel filters in a gasoline engine....?); engine noise (can be mitigated with sound dampening); and getting fuel on your hands when refueling (my wife's biggest issue, can be addressed with gloves).
Don't really have the cold issue in TX and don't go to MT in winter anymore...quality of fuel is an issue/concern from what I have been reading, for sure. Price here in TX today was $2.74/ga for diesel....$1.99 for regular unleaded; I change the fuel filter every 3rd oil change, or 15K-18K miles. I do carry a light weight pack of light weight cloth gloves with a plastic type coating on the palm side, and keep one in the fuel door. I do use it about 50% of the time when the pump I am at looks dirty. All these inconvenience's add to the issues with diesel for sure. BUT....just pull your larger AS 25-33' once up/down a long 7-9% grade at 60-65 with the automatic engine brake engaged while in cruise control and you will understand why many of us prefer this type vehicle for the larger AS's....just saying.
Old 12-08-2018, 10:55 AM   #120
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Don't really have the cold issue in TX and don't go to MT in winter anymore...quality of fuel is an issue/concern from what I have been reading, for sure. Price here in TX today was $2.74/ga for diesel....$1.99 for regular unleaded; I change the fuel filter every 3rd oil change, or 15K-18K miles. I do carry a light weight pack of light weight cloth gloves with a plastic type coating on the palm side, and keep one in the fuel door. I do use it about 50% of the time when the pump I am at looks dirty. All these inconvenience's add to the issues with diesel for sure. BUT....just pull your larger AS 25-33' once up/down a long 7-9% grade at 60-65 with the automatic engine brake engaged while in cruise control and you will understand why many of us prefer this type vehicle for the larger AS's....just saying.
Certainly there are advantages to diesel in some applications. I understand diesels quite well. Distributed, sold, and serviced them, and fuel treatment devices, and oils, for 24 years, then engineering product developement of LNG products based on Cummins and other diesels. It was important to know the pros and cons to be able to recommend the best product for my customers, and for product choices for our own use.

I live with cold weather a good part of the year, and in the mountains. I drove a rental over the Coquihalla and Roger’s passes a week ago, in the snow, 14,000 lbs scaled for the truck, and towing a vehicle. It was a Ford V10 gas in a 450, but it wasn’t my truck, so I didn’t have a choice. If we had to stop for winter or hills, it would severely restrict many activities here.

I just think it doesn’t help much when some posters promote diesels and don’t acknowledge the issues. Understanding the operational and maintenance requirements will actually lead to a better ownership experience if a new poster does opt for a diesel, IMO.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote