Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2018, 10:16 AM   #41
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Pimms, we pulled our 16' Bambi with a Tacoma, no problem. When we replaced it with a 19' Bambi and added 1000 lbs to the basic trailer weight, we traded the Taco in for a Tundra. We are super happy with the Tundra. It tows really well up big mountain passes, and is really comfortable on the inside; an important factor for long trips and/or extra passengers. We now have a 90-lb dog, as well; so the roomy back seat is an advantage for him, as well.

I was also concerned about the mileage, but for our year (2015) the Tacoma and Tundra were identical on highway driving. Of course, both were less towing the AS.

Knock on wood, but we've had no maintenance problems with the Tundra.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 03:36 PM   #42
caz
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Elgin , Texas
Pimms,
FYI, like you, I had a Tacoma when I purchased my Flying Cloud 30' Airstream. No question that I needed to go to a larger vehicle. Traded up to a 2018 Tundra, SR5, 5.7L Crew Cab with tow package & larger 38 gal fuel tank. Brake controller integrated into the dash. Wife & I just completed a 3 month, 8500 mile vacation towing the Airstream. The Tundra averaged 12.4 MPG. The best mileage I get unhitched is 18.6 MPG. It is my daily driver.
Caz.
caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 03:59 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
we have an audi q5 pulling a sport 22fb. 1 ft shorter than yours and 9 " skinnier.

we have to use mirrors to see around ours.

we have no issue with our v6 engine even up hills

IMHO, take it to a dealer and see what they think/can do
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 11:21 PM   #44
4 Rivet Member

Dayton , OH, 2017 33' Classic 8,561 dry
CAZ is that mostly towing at 55?

http://www.fuelly.com/car/toyota/tundra/2018
14.1 avg.

http://www.fuelly.com/car/ram/1500?e...=&submodel_id=
22.4 avg

http://www.fuelly.com/car/chevrolet/...=&submodel_id=
23.7 avg
VernDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 07:13 AM   #45
caz
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Elgin , Texas
Verndiesel,

I tow at speeds between 55 & 60 MPH. Any faster and my MPG starts to drop from 12.6 to 10.5.
Caz.
caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 09:50 AM   #46
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I have a 2008 Tundra 5.7 double cab, 2wd, towing mirrors with 100k on it. I did my homework when I bought it new for only 25k. It was clearly better than the other trucks available that year with the 5.7L motor and the 6 speed transmission.

I love my Tundra. It has been reliable, never even been back to the dealer. It is comfortable and powerful. I get an honest 13.5 mpg towing my Tradewind. I get 19 mpg traveling solo. You just have to keep your foot out of it.

They haven’t changed much since 2007. I would look for a nice used one.

If you are shopping new, I would look at all of them plus the diesel Colorado. My only complaint regarding my Tundra is that it is HUGE, but so are all the other full size trucks.

Good luck, DanClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2406.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	361.4 KB
ID:	327916
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 05:22 PM   #47
2 Rivet Member

2018 23' International
Guilford , Connecticut
Chevy Colorado diesel wasn't on the radar until your well-informed responses. Thank you all again. I would prefer a smaller footprint truck like my Taco but am still skeptical about the width of the 23 FB matched with a "junior half-ton" and being able to see around it to change lanes. Seems this isn't a concern with those with full-size trucks with factory tow mirrors.
Pimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 09:41 AM   #48

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Topeka , Kansas
Bobbos F150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbo View Post
Can't speak for any other brand, but if my truck were totaled, I would replace it with another Ford F-150 extended cab, short bed, 3.5l EcoBoost with Max Tow Package just like the one I am driving now. I, also, have a 23FB and almost can't tell it is back there. Got back from a 6 week trip out west about a month ago driving at altitudes up to 14,000 feet and hills up to 10% slope. The truck never struggled, at all.
100% agreement with Bobbo. I have the same F150 package and this truck has Exceeded my expectations. The 3.5 eco boost is a beast!
dsoko5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 10:00 AM   #49
1 Rivet Member

1995 30' Excella
Miramichi , New Brunswick
Pulling with Tacoma

I pull a 95 30 ft Excella with my 07 Tacoma crewcab and have been all over US (interstate/city/country road/off road speeds) with no issues.
I use a weight distribution hitch and did add an extra leaf to rear springs just for less bounce on tougher roads.
A little slow on the steep hills but I’m not in a rush when on the road...
Sol49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 10:24 AM   #50
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Col. Station , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimms View Post
Chevy Colorado diesel wasn't on the radar until your well-informed responses. Thank you all again. I would prefer a smaller footprint truck like my Taco but am still skeptical about the width of the 23 FB matched with a "junior half-ton" and being able to see around it to change lanes. Seems this isn't a concern with those with full-size trucks with factory tow mirrors.
If your new coach is an 8 1/2' wide body you will not be able to see down the sides of the trailer even with a full size Tundra with the pull out tow mirrors. The only time I can see the trailer tires is when going into a turn. I can see to change lanes through the lower "west coast" mirrors on the pull out tow mirrors. That's why you see so many wide body coaches set up with a rear view camera.
Flynavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 10:29 AM   #51
2 Rivet Member

Yaphank , Arizona
Quote:
Hi all,

I purchased my 2016 Tacoma new and and am delighted with it in every way, except for towing our 2018 23FB. At the time of purchase, we were primarily towing a boat short distances with our sights along the lines of a future Sport 22 and I think, had we gone that route, it would've been a good match, but we ended up going lager, and glad we did.

The Taco seems to really struggle pulling the 23 on anything but flat roads. ( It is the 3rd generation V6 SR5 with tow package.) But more importantly, I can't see around the trailer for lane changing on the interstate, even with the clip-on tow mirrors extended. The only time I can tell what's behind me is on a curve. The camera on the back of the Airstream helps somewhat, but not enough to make me comfortable towing. Sadly, I think the Tacoma, since it is not as wide as a full half-ton, and not as powerful, is not a good match for anything bigger than a 22.

So where do we go from here? I am a long-time Toyota buyer and would be first to run to the dealer and buy a Tundra but I've heard first-hand from people that drive Tundra's that I might regret that choice as the mileage stinks even when not towing. I have heard first hand reports (and read many positive reviews) from the F150 Ecoboost camp. I've recently looked at Ram - the 2019 seems to offer 20% more payload than past models and they now offer a larger fuel tank option.
I haven't looked closely yet at Silverado but I know they have high payload and towing capacity. Any downside?

I'm thinking quad cab, as I don't need the bigger crew, but really like the (smallish) back seat space on my Taco so don't want a contractor style without it, but a shorter wheelbase is better for me, as the parking area in our yard dictates. We eventually want to travel the country, and not be restricted by the tow vehicle, but it is just a 23, so would any full size half-ton do the trick? I love the engine-braking capability of the diesels, but would it be worth the premium for me and our planned use? This will also be my daily (low-mileage) driver and I do most definitely need a truck for all else that I do.

Opened a can of worms, for sure, but who better to ask?

Good evening all!

Good evening all.
Go with an f 250 gas engine you won't even no the trailer is behind you. You will be so relaxed and the towing will be enjoyable. Take it from me went from a 150 to a 250 it's night and day
scroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 11:18 AM   #52
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Col. Station , Ohio
Deciding factor for me would be your using it for a daily driver. Almost any full size half-ton will get the job done as far as towing goes. As you said, the trailer is not that big. I recently went to a new truck. I test drove all the new ones and they were all nice, too big but it's hard to get away from that. I settled on a tundra because of reliability and I don't drive that many miles anymore, so the mileage is not important to me.
Flynavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 11:30 AM   #53
1 Rivet Member

2006 28' Classic
Vale , Oregon
Also like Toyota

I too love Toyota’s but my 06 Tundra struggled with a 20’ Bambi, not on flats but on hills and mountains. I suspect you have low end torque concerns like I did. With that said, I’ve heard the newer Tundras have poorer gas mileage so I’d look hard at the Ford. I now have a larger trailer and tow with diesel but you don’t need diesel with a 23’ foot trailer. I do have a fellow WBCCI member who tows his Bambi with the new smaller Duramax (Colorado?) and loves it.
WilburL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 11:50 AM   #54
Coyotetrack

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Santa Barbara , California
I had my Silverado 1500 before I bought the 23FB. The Silverado does fine but I have yet to test it on a long and varied trip. If I had bought a truck after the airstream, I would have got a 3/4 ton diesel. And, eventually, I will do that.

Jim
Coyotetrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 12:09 PM   #55
1 Rivet Member

Morro Bay , California
Great information. Thanks to all for input!
jzuur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 12:24 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
F150 3.6L Echoboost short bed, 4x4; for sure you would love it with 23'AS; my good buddy has this combo and we go camping a lot...it is a great truck; we loved ours with our 25' AS's over 125K miles! I would get another without hesitation if we go down to a 25' or smaller...loved that truck for pulling or just daily driving...like they say...."echo-beast!"

The GM Colorado diesel is another good consideration., assuming you want a diesel..if your payload is not going to include too much additional weight, like kayaks, generator, etc...My brother in-law staying with us past year, has this GMC model and has been specking out a new 23FB...he has 6.5'bed, 4x4, no sunroof, but pretty well loaded up. Payload is 1280lbs, which will work for his needs! Nice truck for daily driver...just not sure I would get any diesel unless I was going to haul a bigger trailer and needed the torque...too expensive to operate if you don't need a diesel.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 12:36 PM   #57
1 Rivet Member

Lacey , WA
This is still a subjective problem

So, reading through this, the most significant quote I see is “cushy for the tushy”

I have an eco boost F150 and I can find almost zero complaints with its towing power - it’s got the hp to get my trailer where I want it, when I want it and with no fear about lacking power. It’s also quite comfy inside and it simply fits me well.

... till it comes to mileage - I pay for that when towing, and I pay in spades... when it’s a matter of towing the camper to the myriad of places the Pacific NW has to offer, or taking my boat out, the gas doesn’t matter much.

If I went full time, then I’d have to think harder about it.

My wife has a newer Dodge ecodiesel, with airbag suspension, and it still gets fantastic mileage when towing and is more stable without having weight distribution bars. Sadly, for me, it’s not as comfy for me to drive. It does well through the hills, though not as well as the Ford, but that’s relative, and neither is inadequate for the task.

So, for you personally, it also matters how much towing vs daily driving you’re gonna do? With the addition of a wireless rear view camera, I’ve found that I don’t require wider mirrors on my ford, as I maintain situational awareness very well with knowing what’s going on behind me and having my limited view to the sides.

Have you thought about lower cost options, such as performance programming for your Toyota? This makes sense till you’re going full-time, and gives you the advantage of having the maneuverability of the smaller truck.

Otherwise, I’d probably go big, with any of the one-ton diesel options offered... they all give great comfort and longevity, and will certainly pull anything you have now, or choose to upgrade to later.
Rustmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 01:02 PM   #58
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Blue Sky Ranch , Texas
I prefer to match the AS to my TV. If I'm not going to change the tow, then a lighter AS is the answer. The 22FB Sport is 1K# under my 4Runner TV tow specs. Does fine in the mountains. Gets good daily driver fuel economy.

Your Taco is over loaded with current AS. However, a Toyota Tundra would be the V8 answer if you want to stay in the family of vehicles. As you implied, any V8 for daily use will get lower gas mileage (If I understood that right) but it is the right answer for towing a 23.

Choices are personal and very difficult at times. A Toco (I have the SUV equivalent in our 4Runner) is underpowered for a larger AS. I don't like ANY TV that is a "forced induction" (turbo or EcoBoost) since that is a recipe for early engine demise. Get a bigger normally aspirated V8 and get the job done.

Pick your poison...
Msherw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 01:06 PM   #59
1 Rivet Member

1998 31' Excella 1000
Currently Looking...
Charleston , South Carolina
Tow Vehicle

Three words. 3/4 ton diesel (at least). We have a 31' Excella Classic. 7000lb. dry weight. Thought when we bought it that our Tahoe would pull it. HAHAHAHA! Not even close unless you have a death wish.

Then, we found a 3/4 ton Avalanche with an 8.1 gasser and a 4:10 rear end. Better but not good in the mountains and 8mpg (with or without the trailer).

Finally found a "gently used" 1 ton gmc 3500 dually with Duramax & Allison transmission. BINGO! 14-15mpg pulling the trailer (you don't even know it's back there) and 17-18mpg around town. 20-22mpg on the highway.

BTW, Dometic makes some side view extenders that aren't too expensive and the work very well. No vibration like most of the ones I've seen. Very lightweight & clip on to the housing of your existing mirror.
blueloue69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 01:28 PM   #60
3 Rivet Member

Tifton , Georgia
Amazing no one have mentioned the Ford 5.0L. That engine is strong and handles everything we have thrown at it. I run a 2016 Lariat with 5.0L, 156WB and 6.5ft box. And no issues during 5-6K trips.
xyzabe is offline   Reply With Quote