Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-09-2018, 04:48 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 23' International
Guilford , Connecticut
I love my Tacoma, but...

Hi all,

I purchased my 2016 Tacoma new and and am delighted with it in every way, except for towing our 2018 23FB. At the time of purchase, we were primarily towing a boat short distances with our sights along the lines of a future Sport 22 and I think, had we gone that route, it would've been a good match, but we ended up going lager, and glad we did.

The Taco seems to really struggle pulling the 23 on anything but flat roads. ( It is the 3rd generation V6 SR5 with tow package.) But more importantly, I can't see around the trailer for lane changing on the interstate, even with the clip-on tow mirrors extended. The only time I can tell what's behind me is on a curve. The camera on the back of the Airstream helps somewhat, but not enough to make me comfortable towing. Sadly, I think the Tacoma, since it is not as wide as a full half-ton, and not as powerful, is not a good match for anything bigger than a 22.

So where do we go from here? I am a long-time Toyota buyer and would be first to run to the dealer and buy a Tundra but I've heard first-hand from people that drive Tundra's that I might regret that choice as the mileage stinks even when not towing. I have heard first hand reports (and read many positive reviews) from the F150 Ecoboost camp. I've recently looked at Ram - the 2019 seems to offer 20% more payload than past models and they now offer a larger fuel tank option.
I haven't looked closely yet at Silverado but I know they have high payload and towing capacity. Any downside?

I'm thinking quad cab, as I don't need the bigger crew, but really like the (smallish) back seat space on my Taco so don't want a contractor style without it, but a shorter wheelbase is better for me, as the parking area in our yard dictates. We eventually want to travel the country, and not be restricted by the tow vehicle, but it is just a 23, so would any full size half-ton do the trick? I love the engine-braking capability of the diesels, but would it be worth the premium for me and our planned use? This will also be my daily (low-mileage) driver and I do most definitely need a truck for all else that I do.

Opened a can of worms, for sure, but who better to ask?

Good evening all!

Good evening all.
Pimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 05:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
One thing that specs can't tell you is how cushy on the tushy you feel, how the vehicle fights or gets in a groove at certain speeds, how easy or hard it feels to maneuver in and out of lane changes, U turns, parking, and how solid it feels to you.

Suggest you look at a Tundra and see what you think.
We use our with the strap on McKesh tow mirrors with the convex spots. We have the 5.7 liter V8 extended cab short bed. Like that model for various reasons, Large back seat and fold up seats great for 2 dogs. Fully roll down back window is also my fav feature.

The downshift gears are great for control in mountain driving.

My truck at nearly 100,000 miles drives like it's brand new.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 06:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Kensington , Maryland
I'm just piling on...
Zero regrets for my 2017 Tundra towing a 25' FC.

Mine is a daily driver as well. If you can manage to keep your foot out of it you'll get miles per gallon Kidding, around town I get 14/15 on the hwy not towing and driving 65 I get 17.
The ONLY thing I'll mention is the factory brake controller blech! It is a 5 min. job to replace it with a P3 which is a terrific unit.
Good luck and sorry about the Taco.
Too tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 08:38 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
I like my current Taco whole bunches. But yes, when we start traveling a lot with an Airstream, DW wants one with a real shower and a nicer bedroom. Implies a 23 footer or bigger. For that, she wants a Tundra.

Happy wife, happy life. I’ll put up with a Tundra with all the goodies and a V-8.
Just have to get used to it. It will take some time, no doubt (as in about 100 nanoseconds)
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 08:42 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
Can't speak for any other brand, but if my truck were totaled, I would replace it with another Ford F-150 extended cab, short bed, 3.5l EcoBoost with Max Tow Package just like the one I am driving now. I, also, have a 23FB and almost can't tell it is back there. Got back from a 6 week trip out west about a month ago driving at altitudes up to 14,000 feet and hills up to 10% slope. The truck never struggled, at all.
Bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 11:22 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I'm a Ford person so I replaced my 2000 Lincoln Navigator tow vehicle with a new 2014 F-150 Ecoboost. For you, you should buy a Toyota Tundra V-8 to tow your trailer. First and foremost, you need the right tool for the job. [not a great gas mileage Prius] And accept whatever gas mileage it gets. Make sure that you get the best tow package that Toyota offers and the towing mirrors too. If not, you still won't be happy.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 05:13 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2018 23' International
Guilford , Connecticut
Thanks for the replies! F150 is definitely in the running and I will have a look at Tundra. For those that have shopped around and ended up with Tundra, how did it compare price wise compared to others? Are real tow mirrors an option on Tundra? Any Silverado fans?
Pimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 05:17 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
Any of the full size pickups will do a great job. Pick the brand you like. In addition to rated tow capacity, check the payload sticker on the drivers door.
brick
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 05:27 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Regarding real tow mirrors, Tundra I think offers some that are pretty expensive (like 600 bucks) and would required them to be folded inward to fit in the garage. I didn't want to hassle with that on a daily basis.

This is why we decided to get the McKesh strap on mirrors, plus the convex spot on both sides. My husband says the convex spot mirrors are the more important component, as they allow you to see into the next lane, or vehicles from the entrance ramp merging into your lane. They also allow him to see where the tires are clearing objects on the ground like curbs/rocks/stumps.

They extend out really far so you can really see around the rig. When I stand at the trailer back when we do our pre-check, I can see my husband (in the driver's seat) in the mirrors. So they do allow you to see along the side of the rig.

These are purchased on the Hensley Hitch website. About $150
https://www.hensleymfg.com/product-c...ckesh-mirrors/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4053.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	235.0 KB
ID:	327453  

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 09:35 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Omaha , Nebraska
Love my f150 echoboost. Also did 5 weeks in Rockies this summer and had very easy towing both up and down grade. No trouble with rear view even with regular mirrors. (Also have rear camera).
dolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 09:44 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
I owned two Tacomas before purchasing my 2014 Tundra, then a year later purchased the Airstream. Neither the Taco nor Tundra do well in the MPG department versus their peers. Neither shines in rated payload either. If those attributes are your top criteria then Tundra isn't for you. However, if you can live with those and value reliability and resale value, I feel those attributes are the strong points for Toyota. When I traded in my 2009 Taco on the 2014 Tundra, even with 100,000 miles on it, it had only lost $10,000 in value. As for the Tundra, at 5 years and 95,000 miles (about 35,000 of those with the AS in tow) it has been the most reliable, low mantenance vehicle I have ever owned... bar none. My 95,000 service two weeks ago cost me $49.

If I couldn't live with the Tundra's weak points, I would probably drive an F150. Their owners love them and it's hard to match their specs with the ecboost and aluminum body benefits.
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 10:11 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
tampa , Florida
F150

We have. 2016 25 Flying Cloud and pull it with a 2013 F150 FX4 with tow package. The engine is the 3.5 eco bust. I owned the truck when I bought the trailer and couldn’t be happier. We have pulled to the Pacific NW from Florida and back twice across multiple moutrain ranges with no problems. I ave 12 mpg. My plan is to replace the truck with the same model F150 with the new turbo diesel. I hope this helps.
fclewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 10:31 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Lemont , Illinois
I pulled my Airstream 20 FC for three years with a 2012 Tacoma V6, and it got the job done, but was definitely underpowered.

I replaced it with a Nissan Titan XD with the diesel, and LOVE it - lots of power, and much more important, more control. Of course the heavier XD model with the diesel wasn't necessary - the standard Titan with the Endurance V8 would have been fine, so that's my recommendation.

Try driving a Nissan, Ford, and Toyota - they're all good.
Glenn T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 10:56 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
The Tacoma is outmatched by the weight of the trailer. Also, Keep in mind the tundra design is pretty old, it’s had facelifts but it’s antiquated v8 technology and small back seat aren’t something I’d spend my hard earned money on. Not trying to throw gas on a tundra owners fire here, just speaking from my experience of truck shopping. I ended up going with an F150 ecoboost. It goes fine and barely shifts down unless the hill or pass is large.

Two things I looked for when buying a truck was gas milage and safety and the f150 wins both of those. The fact that it’s easy to drive helps.

Heres some food for thought
https://youtu.be/NygirwxUotc
Kanusport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 11:05 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
Ditto McKesh Mirrors. There were no options for my Dakota so I bought a pair of clones for about $90 instead of the McKesh. They are still going 15 years later. You might consider changing the gear ratio of the rear end for your Tacoma. Cheaper than a Tundra?

JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 11:24 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1994 34' Limited
colebrook , Connecticut
Diesel Mileage

I bought a Dodge Ram 2500 with the Cummins Standard Output back when diesel was cheaper than gas. It is still more economical than gas as diesels are much more efficient than gas.

I get 22 mpg on the interstate w/o trailer and 13 - 14 mpg pulling the 34" classic. The new rams are expensive, but it last forever mechanical and contrary to what others have said my maintenance cost has been very reasonable. Oil, fuel filter every 7500 miles.

I have hauled 2400 lbs of wood pellets drove like a dream.

Mark
malett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 11:27 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2022 25' Globetrotter
Diamond Bar , California (winter) Montana (summer)
I had a 2016 Tacoma 4x2 with factory tow package. Bought a 2018 23CB...the numbers seemed well within the advertised range of the Tacoma, but the tongue weight was maxed out and the truck was uncomfortable and bouncy on long drives. Truck did fine in the flats but struggled on grades. I traded it on a 2018 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 4x4 crew cab and have been happy in every respect. Smoother drive, great visibility and gas mileage almost equal to the Tacoma. Local mom and pop GMC dealer aggressively sought my business and gave a better deal than Ford dealer on a similar product. Have probably put 8k miles on the truck towing across seven western states. I, too am a longtime Toyota driver and was ready to switch to the Tundra, but research led me to believe tha Ford, GM and Ram are simply more advanced in the towing department. And why the switch to 4x4? Personal experience as a beach and boondock camper proved that 4wd is sometimes necessary for the first hundred feet or so of your departure!
2018 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4
DRBusse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 11:52 AM   #18
geo
2 Rivet Member

2019 23' International
Vancouver , British Columbia
I use a 2016 Toyota Sequoia SR5 (towing capacity 7100#) to tow my 2019 International 23FB (gross weight 6000#). It does a great job, and the only time I experience a slowdown is when I climb steep hills, when it drops down to about 50 MPH, even with the AC on. I like having the secure extra storage space in the back of the SUV, which is why I chose it over a pick-up truck. It's pretty comfortable inside, too.
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 12:10 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Tacoma replacement

Your a Toyota fan, so look at the Tundra first. You may also consider a 2017 or newer Nissan Titan (the gas model) You can get an extended cab (not a full 4 door quad cab) with the factory tow package (includes really nice tow mirrors) fully loaded for around $45k MSRP sticker. The one I looked at was offered to me for $40k out the door. This is not the PRO4x Off road model. They have less tow rating. I looked at one of these, test drove it, (very impressed) and would have purchased but DW loves our 2013 E150 ford XLT Premium van. It is a great tow vehicle for our 23D. But man, I will tell you that Titan really is nice. BIG ADVANTAGE....5 YEAR/100K MILEAGE BUMPER TO BUMPER WARRANTY!!!!. Take a look.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 12:16 PM   #20
Retired Navy Veteran

1964 26' Overlander
Warner Robins , Georgia
Check the Payload

While I sympathize with leaving a wonderful truck behind to tow your trailer! I have asked this question at campgrounds, rest areas, and truck stops over the 8,000 mile RT towing our 26ft 1964 Overlander. Most recommended diesel for flexibility when moving up to a larger trailer which many AS owners of shorter versions seem to do often! About our Tundra. On the way home from Seattle to middle Georgia, we stopped by my brother’s and looked at his beautiful brand new 4WD Max cab, top trim with 5.7L engine. I checked the sticker on the inside of the driver’s door and the payload was just 1,150 lbs (My 2011 Camry has a payload of 900 lbs)!! Tongue weight on my trailer is 750 lbs, with just my wife and I we are at about 1,050 lbs. With his setup and my trailer, we would have only 100 pounds for camping gear in the bed. When I checked payload on some Tundra’s (some with bed toppers loade with gear, sagging in the back of the truck) I saw on the long RT, towing Airstreams, ALL were over their payload! Test out the other half tons and determine which one has the ride and capacity you are looking for. Seems like a payload of 2,000 plus lbs should meet your needs. NOTE: We also are looking at a replacement TV. We have looked at some heavy duty pickups with payloads less than 2,000 lbs. Enjoy the search!
superChop is offline   Reply With Quote