Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2018, 09:07 AM   #121
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Excella 500
2017 30' Classic
Grapeview , Washington
Advantages and disadvantages can be perceived in anything. One persons advantages is another persons disadvantages same as one persons disadvantages is another persons advantages. I guess that's why we buy the AS and TV we want. A penny saved is a penny earned, however at what cost to ones enjoyment?

Safe travels and best regards
sbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 09:20 AM   #122
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Don't really have the cold issue in TX and don't go to MT in winter anymore...quality of fuel is an issue/concern from what I have been reading, for sure. Price here in TX today was $2.74/ga for diesel....$1.99 for regular unleaded; I change the fuel filter every 3rd oil change, or 15K-18K miles. I do carry a light weight pack of light weight cloth gloves with a plastic type coating on the palm side, and keep one in the fuel door. I do use it about 50% of the time when the pump I am at looks dirty. All these inconvenience's add to the issues with diesel for sure. BUT....just pull your larger AS 25-33' once up/down a long 7-9% grade at 60-65 with the automatic engine brake engaged while in cruise control and you will understand why many of us prefer this type vehicle for the larger AS's....just saying.
Like JCL, I also engineer a platform that runs diesel. I know my diesels well. Their pros and their cons.

It's my personal choice that I do not prefer diesel. Yet that doesn't dismiss what they are capable of and I'm glad you are happy with your choice.

Climbing 7-9% grades up and down with a large AS is not the exclusive playground of diesels. The fact that your diesel does this use case well does not say that a gasser won't. Many gassers will do the deed. The higher output gassers ones will do the deed with aplomb. And that's what many of those in the diesel camp cannot seem to comprehend.

Stream on...
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 11:33 AM   #123
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbowman View Post
Advantages and disadvantages can be perceived in anything. One persons advantages is another persons disadvantages same as one persons disadvantages is another persons advantages. I guess that's why we buy the AS and TV we want. A penny saved is a penny earned, however at what cost to ones enjoyment?

I donít agree that one personís advantage is another personís disadvantage. That sounds more like some winning at the expense of others. I would say that we all apply different weightings to the various issues, pro and con, and the disadvantages listed may not be as important to some, eg cold weather starting if one lives in the far south. I just donít think it helps to not acknowledge those disadvantages or pretend those disadvantages donít exist.

Quote:
Disadvantages?

Like here.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 12:03 PM   #124
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
So what is the perfect tow vehicle?
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 01:42 PM   #125
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
I love my Tacoma, but...

Whatever makes YOU happy. The rest is simply other peopleís opinions.

Which, imho only counts if they are buying me a vehicle. Hence the reason I buy Toyota vehicles.

DW buys and pays for most of them, including our first Tacoma TV. Happy wife, happy life...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 06:24 PM   #126
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Excella 500
2017 30' Classic
Grapeview , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
I donít agree that one personís advantage is another personís disadvantage. That sounds more like some winning at the expense of others. I would say that we all apply different weightings to the various issues, pro and con, and the disadvantages listed may not be as important to some, eg cold weather starting if one lives in the far south. I just donít think it helps to not acknowledge those disadvantages or pretend those disadvantages donít exist.

Like here.

LOL, ok. I acknowledge there are some that may see disadvantages as claimed. What some may see as a disadvantage may not be be a disadvantage to others. What some see as an advantage may not be an advantage to others. I am not a pretend type of person, never have been never will be.

Do you like to read? State of Fear by Michael Crichton. Pretty much tells it all.

Best regards and safe travels
Old 12-09-2018, 06:27 PM   #127
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Excella 500
2017 30' Classic
Grapeview , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquenzer View Post
So what is the perfect tow vehicle?

I would venture to guess the one you have otherwise you would buy something else?

Old 12-09-2018, 07:08 PM   #128
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Do you like to read? State of Fear by Michael Crichton. Pretty much tells it all.
That is a work of fiction, that famously tried to disprove the science around climate change (including in the authorís notes) by characterizing facts as opinions.

For another take, try reading Alex Steffen. Hereís a quote:

ďPeople who have been paid to burn your house down are lying to you about the existence of fireĒ
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 07:55 PM   #129
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
I would venture to guess the one you have otherwise you would buy something else?

Good answer!!
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 03:33 PM   #130
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Excella 500
2017 30' Classic
Grapeview , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
That is a work of fiction, that famously tried to disprove the science around climate change (including in the authorís notes) by characterizing facts as opinions.

For another take, try reading Alex Steffen. Hereís a quote:

ďPeople who have been paid to burn your house down are lying to you about the existence of fireĒ

Had not heard of Alex Steffen. Spent some time researching and reading. Interesting, however a little to Jim Jones for me.

Best regards and safe travels
Old 12-15-2018, 05:57 PM   #131
2 Rivet Member

2018 23' International
Guilford , Connecticut
If anyone still cares

I test drove a F150 3.5 Eco Lariat today and it was very impressive. Brought me back to my teen days when I had a 69 Mach One. Holy Cow! In tough negotiations dealer is dropping only 8% off msrp. I hate this bargaining crap. I don't feel like I got a fair deal when I bought the camper (Colonial) but again I suck at negotiating and hate this has to be part of the buying experience. Ugh.
Pimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 07:39 PM   #132
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimms View Post
I test drove a F150 3.5 Eco Lariat today and it was very impressive. Brought me back to my teen days when I had a 69 Mach One. Holy Cow! In tough negotiations dealer is dropping only 8% off msrp. I hate this bargaining crap. I don't feel like I got a fair deal when I bought the camper (Colonial) but again I suck at negotiating and hate this has to be part of the buying experience. Ugh.
If you hate negotiating, let someone else do it for you. There's a ton of free services out there that give you access to pre-negotiated fleet prices, without any added cost to you.

Do you have a Costco membership?
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 10:31 AM   #133
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
I'd be happy to help you with the negotiations! First go test drive and determine what you want with options. Important to get a ballpark from your sales guy on that model, and be up front; ask him what the best he thinks his dealership will do in discount. That's your starting point. Then, go on line with the internet department's of various dealers...easy to do...just fill out the form on what you want and several dealers will contact you. talk to them, and let them know your shopping around...when they give you a price, get them to send you a copy of the quote. That's your key to judge the deals with other dealers on the phone...don't visit anyone. They typically will work with you on the phone. Then contact couple other dealers in your area and let them know you have a quote and see what their best price is for exact same model you want. If they ask for a copy of the quote, black out the dealers info on your quote, and send to them to show your serious. I use to buy every couple years, and the internet has become my favorite way to get the right price. These take time but I usually can get to a good price and do the deal on the phone before going down.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 01:11 PM   #134
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
I just send DW in. Her ancestors are genetic hagglers.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 05:35 PM   #135
2 Rivet Member

2018 23' International
Guilford , Connecticut
Very good advise Ptek and Gypsydad. We have been looking for a reason to join Costco. Wondering what folks who have used that service typically get discounted off sticker price. I do plan to internet shop as well.
Old 12-17-2018, 06:06 AM   #136
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Very good advise Ptek and Gypsydad. We have been looking for a reason to join Costco. Wondering what folks who have used that service typically get discounted off sticker price. I do plan to internet shop as well.
Costco, Credit Unions, Veteran, AAA, ARP, etc...many discounts available; usually amount to another $500 or so discount off the dealers price. Dealers typically have incentives from factory, and perhaps include a "local" discount. When new models are coming out, (September time frame usually), some brands get more incentives. You will see Ford, GM, and Dodge start offering $5k+ incentives so you know they are trying to move inventory. You can typically see the incentives on line at dealers websites if you look. Or, as I mentioned earlier, contact the Internet dept. If you go to the mfg. website, you can "build" the vehicle you want. That info can be circulated automatically to your zip code, if you check the right buttons. The dealers will have their internet departments reach out to you, either by phone or email, almost instantly! Tell them all your affiliations listed above and see what their incentives are...important to ask if there is additional local discounts...once I know they have a vehicle I want, and i am comfortable with price, discounts, (estimated trade in, if any)etc. from the dealer, with a quote(email) from them in writing...I will go down, check out the vehicle and complete the transaction, all the while, asking for more discount. I also make them aware I don't want to spend "all day" in finance, so try to get as much of that done prior...extended warranty pricing if I am going to purchase...Lets face it; buying a car is a hassle if you try to do it in person and aren't quite sure what you want or don't know the dealer...they twist arms, haggle, bring in manager after manager...upsell you to warranties... Phone and Internet have saved me lots of stress....and I always feel I get a great deal. It also pays to ask to meet the owner or the sales manager if your going on first visit...I try to stay loyal to my dealership since in Austin, I know the "family" of dealers...I met one of the brothers who owns the GM/Chevy dealership when I purchased first 2 Tahoe's, then when I told him I wanted to get Ford Echoboost, he reluctantly told me his brother had the Ford dealership, and his brother called me on a Sunday, set up an appt. for Monday, and they took care of me with family discount...pays to know the management if you can take the time...my 2 cents...
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 02:25 PM   #137
2 Rivet Member

2018 23' International
Guilford , Connecticut
New Tow Vehicle Purchased!

Hello all,

Since I started this thread back in November I have looked at many tow vehicles - all pickup trucks as I need a truck for hauling as well as towing. Making the final decision was length and difficult for me but it is finally done. My local Toyota dealer let me take home a new 2019 Tundra for the weekend to try and after that I was sold. On Monday I said goodbye to my Tacoma and drove the Tundra home for good. (What a difference!) It is the Limited model and is by far the best truck we have ever owned. Plenty capable of towing our 23FB and sufficient payload for the two of us and what we plan to carry. (1300 on the door jamb sticker).

Just wanted to let you all know and thank all who provided valuable input. So happy this piece of the puzzle is now solved!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpeg
Views:	40
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	333109  
Old 02-07-2019, 11:02 PM   #138
4 Rivet Member

Dayton , OH, 2017 33' Classic 8,561 dry
Congrats enjoy and thanks for letting us know.
Transportr AS & TT Mfg 2 dealr RAM ED factory brake controller tow mirror hitch camera & receiver 1,290/12k, No sway WDH, Adj. hitch, axle 2 frame air bags, tune w turbo brake, SLT Grill, 31.9" load tires, Max ED tow 9,200, GCAR 7,800, Max Ram 1500 GCVW 15,950, truck hitches steer 3,240 drive 2,560
VernDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 01:35 AM   #139
3 Rivet Member

2019 23' Flying Cloud
West Sacramento , California
Quote:
Hello all,

Since I started this thread back in November I have looked at many tow vehicles - all pickup trucks as I need a truck for hauling as well as towing. Making the final decision was length and difficult for me but it is finally done. My local Toyota dealer let me take home a new 2019 Tundra for the weekend to try and after that I was sold. On Monday I said goodbye to my Tacoma and drove the Tundra home for good. (What a difference!) It is the Limited model and is by far the best truck we have ever owned. Plenty capable of towing our 23FB and sufficient payload for the two of us and what we plan to carry. (1300 on the door jamb sticker).

Just wanted to let you all know and thank all who provided valuable input. So happy this piece of the puzzle is now solved!
Congrats!! I'm chomping at the bit for a Tundra as I'm a Toyota fan. Just hoping they update it in 2020 as my wife would prefer not to go to any other brand. Frustrating that Toyota let this model go for so long without a technological update seeing how they are pioneers in electric and reliability. I would love to see some kind of hybrid V8, regenerative braking, 20 miles in electric only, cylinders deactivation etc.
Again congrats! Looks good.
Brandon T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 05:02 AM   #140
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
My 2012 Double cab, 4x4 pulls our 23FB with Ease. I’ve hauled a 300 lb motorcycle in back while pulling the 23FB all over Missouri, and it handles the job with ease. It doesn’t have some of the bells and whistles of some trucks, but it sure provides peace of mind in quiet comfort.