Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2018, 01:44 PM   #21

2006 19' International CCD
Walla Walla , Washington
Tacomas are great...owned one before I purchased my 19' home. Now I drive a Tundra, and yes it is thirsty, however I feel confident towing up and down hill.
water tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 02:29 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Woodland , California
How about the F150 with 2.7L EcoBoost?

Consider the F150 SuperCab 6.5' bed with the 2.7L EcoBoost and the associated 2.7L payload package (not to be confused with the Heavy Duty Payload Pkg available only on the 3.5 and 5.0). It offers great mpg when not towing, and a comfortable margin of payload for the 23FB as long as you go easy on the options list. They seem to always have deals on them, but you may have to special order one configured for optimal payload.

However, with the 2.7L I would not recommend towing an Airstream larger than the 23FB unless you are super conscientious about weight management and CAT scale use. We just went through this exercise while considering our future 25FB Flying Cloud. We opted instead for a 3.5L HDPP F150 that we found at a local Ford dealer; but I really wanted and liked that 2.7L.
Mach5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 02:44 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
1977 31' Sovereign
Narvon , Pennsylvania
Silverado V6

Can’t speak about other brands, but I buy Chevy mostly because I am familiar and comfortable driving them. Not much changes yr to yr. I have the V6 and pulled a 31 ft with it no issues. I now tow a 22 ft with ease. I get 12.5 mpg doing it!!! In WV!!!
With out towing, I get 22.5 mpg.
Tow pkg, 4 WD, extended cab.
I might buy the Jeep truck, if it ever comes out. 😎
kenwadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 03:29 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2003 31' Classic
Terra Alta , West Virginia
We pull 31 classic with our 07 Tundra. 5.7 TRD, heavier tow pkg and some other good HD options such as cold weather pkg. Been east west north southe and it's our 7th Toyota and just as reliable as the others and tows very well. I like all trucks...I just have an affection for Toyota reliability. Sounds like many of us. Cost to own is more than mileage.
wvstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 05:31 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2018 23' International
Guilford , Connecticut
Thanks again! So much input - every bit appreciated! I had meant to go truck shopping today but other stuff happened. I may be dragging my feet a bit as there are no current incentives for me to pull the trigger on this but I'd like to have a replacement truck at least by spring, if not sooner.

I did some reading today, however. Most agree that the Tundra is dated and due for a make-over. I'd hate to buy a dated 2019 with a new and improved model maybe coming in 2020. The 2019 models seem to have little difference from the previous years.

Asked Mimms what her wants might be for the new truck. Given possible long distance traveling, her answer was naturally comfort. Again, not a big plus for Tundra from what I read. Ram seems to be ahead in that aspect.

Still no Chevy input, but one for Nissan. Interesting. Given that we don't plan to ever upsize from the 23, I'm not sure we could justify the additional expense of a diesel, but could it be worth it in the long run? I'm 62 and thinking this will probably be my last truck - last new truck for sure.
Pimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 05:57 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
I wanted a Tundra—they are outstanding trucks. But I agree with you—the 2019s are probably the last year before a redesign (Toyota has confirmed numerous times that they have been working on a redesigned Tundra). The current generation wouldn’t work for me from a payload perspective. If the redesigned truck incorporates modern trailer/RV-handling design parameters, I think they’ll hit a home run.

I ended up with a 2019 F-250, which I should be picking up any day now.
Old 11-10-2018, 07:06 PM   #27

2014 25' Flying Cloud
West Chicago , Illinois
Another Option

Sounds like you prefer a smaller truck and are concerned about fuel economy. Have you considered a Chevrolet Colorado or GMC Canyon with the diesel engine? I tow our 25’ Flying Cloud with a Colorado and it handles it with ease. The truck is rated for 7,600 lbs which is well above our unloaded weight and a bit more than the GVWR. At 369 lb-ft of torque it has almost as much as the 5.3L V8 in a Silverado. Plus...I get 30+ mpg on the highway when not towing. Pulling Rocky, the oil burner delivers 13-15 mpg. You might want to check it out!
#IworkforGM
RockyFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 08:06 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by geo View Post
I use a 2016 Toyota Sequoia SR5 (towing capacity 7100#) to tow my 2019 International 23FB (gross weight 6000#). It does a great job, and the only time I experience a slowdown is when I climb steep hills, when it drops down to about 50 MPH, even with the AC on. I like having the secure extra storage space in the back of the SUV, which is why I chose it over a pick-up truck. It's pretty comfortable inside, too.
I had the same concern about secure storage space, so I installed a topper on my F-150. My truck stayed at 70 mph going up the steep hills out west when we spent 6 weeks in the 4 corners area about a month ago. The speed would drop about 2 mph, then downshift and pick right back up to what it was before. No strain at all.
Bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 06:56 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2013 23' FB Flying Cloud
Jericho , Vermont
Loved my Taco, moved to the Tundra when we got our 23FB, love it even more. You will drop 3 mpg in daily driving, but everything else is better. More comfortable, better payload, tows great.
VTSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 09:56 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

1997 34' Limited
Spruce Grove , Alberta
Gmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimms View Post
Thanks for the replies! F150 is definitely in the running and I will have a look at Tundra. For those that have shopped around and ended up with Tundra, how did it compare price wise compared to others? Are real tow mirrors an option on Tundra? Any Silverado fans?
I’ve read your issue with your truck for pulling a shorter, lighter airstream. I have a GMC/Silverado crewcab, 6’6” box, max tow and 6.2 litre engine with an 8 speed transmission. This truck also comes with factory tow mirrors. I tow a 1998 34 with rear bedroom and live within sight of the Rocky’s and tow there regularly to the parks. The combination of factory options is exactly what is needed for this combination uphill or downhill with gobs of power. I would not personally own another brand of vehicle.
wvollans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 10:11 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Any of the full size pickups that are equipped for towing.

You do not need the exhaust brake on a gas engine because the engine provides enough engine braking.

If you want a Tundra get one. I am sure that other trucks get better millage empty but I bet they pay some price in maintenance and longevity to get it. I am personally not a Toyota fan but know a lot of happy people who tow with them and look at me like I am an idiot for driving my Dodge. Gas is pretty cheap now and for the short foreseeable future. Fuel millage is probably not the biggest driver of cost in a TV.
Bill M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 11:10 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
As far as tow mirrors for the Tundra, I use the CIPA set from Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/CIPA-11300-To...70_&dpSrc=srch
I can't imagine needing anything that sticks out farther, unless you never use a bank drive through or park in a normal space.
They look great, are solid as a rock and only cost $34 a set!
If I were to nitpick, I'd prefer the passenger side NOT be magnifying, since it makes cars that are a 1/4 mile back appear to be alongside.
These allow me to see both lanes behind the trailer, and with the Garmin BC-30 in the Airstream back window, I can see everything....almost.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 11:24 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanusport View Post
Also, Keep in mind the tundra design is pretty old, it’s had facelifts but it’s antiquated v8 technology and small back seat aren’t something I’d spend my hard earned money on. Not trying to throw gas on a tundra owners fire here, just speaking from my experience of truck shopping.

Just read about overall dependability ratings of cars and trucks on the market. Basically, Ford did not do well this last year but only because it has upgraded their line more than the others. With "new" designs out there it is to be expected that there will be start up issues. When folks want to trash Tundras because of their "antiquated V8 technology" they are missing a big point. This technology has been tried and tested and remains one of the best and most dependable power trains out there. Look back to the first couple of years of the new Ecoboost engine. Lots of issues early that have now been ironed out. Would you classify the Ecoboost as antiquated because it hasn't changed recently?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
Any of the full size pickups that are equipped for towing.

You do not need the exhaust brake on a gas engine because the engine provides enough engine braking.

I am certainly not a diesel fan but his statement really conflicts with my experience driving a gas engine TV. Towing heavy, especially in mountains, is where the diesel really shines and there is no comparison.

OK, here is my take on your conundrum. If you use your TV as a daily driver you can do much, much better with an Ecoboost. If you are complaining about mileage while towing, you aren't looking closely enough. The Tundra is not the best in this area but it is not the worst either. Someone posted that he got 12 towing with his Ecoboost. I get a pretty steady 11 with my Tundra.

Only you can determine the "comfort" level you and your wife desire. I personally would put my 1/2 ton Tundra up against any 3/4 ton out there. I have a friend that has a new Ecoboost and it is pretty nice, no doubt. We drove down a washboard road for about 2 miles and my Tundra SR5 with the TRD package rode much better. So comfort will mean different things to different people. My cousin has a new, absolutely beautiful GMC 3/4 ton and it rides, well, like a truck. He needs it because of his very heavy and large trailer. It is a perfect fit for him. Again, comfort?

Get "real" tow mirrors. I put them on my '08 and they are also on my '17. I had strap on mirrors with another TV and there are some good ones out there but you will still have to deal with putting them on and taking them off. You can save a few hundred bucks if you are willing to do this over the next 10 years.

I do love my Tundra but there are some excellent choices out there. If you are looking for better regular driving mileage and heavier payload capacity you can find great options. Have fun shopping and like many others have said, get what you want. Buy it but don't post your pick here because, there will be those who will criticize you. Should have got a 3/4 ton, why didn't you look at a diesel, and so on.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 12:26 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
LAKE KIOWA , TX
Smile

I hav a 23 FB and tow with a Tundra and have no problems at all. This summer we started on Tx, then to the DKotas, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Washington, Or, California, Nevada, and New Mexico before returning to Tx. Have a 150,00 on the 2009 Tundra, and it has pulled the 23 FB in all conditions and it is also my daily driver. I did buy aftermarket extended mirrors but found the stock Tundra mirrors worked just as well as the extended mirrors if u put one of the circular mirrors on the mirrors that allow u to see the blind spot, so, no need for the extended mirrors. I am sure other 1/2 ton trucks will do the job also, but, my Tundra has been great for me. The downside is the gas mileage as an everyday driver but I can live with that. Have considered getting an older car, maybe a two seater that is fun to drive and gets great gas mileage, but so far I am still using the Tundra and it hasn’t let me down
cfishii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 01:33 AM   #35
4 Rivet Member

Dayton , OH, 2017 33' Classic 8,561 dry
Hi PIMMS, From your stated needs and goals I would suggest you test drive three trucks. First the Tundra. Despite being dated it’s a solid choice for you. Now with optional 38 gallon tank its only more major downside is poor fuel economy especially towing. For realistic and fair towing economy I always compare at 65 mph. Some people offer their experience at 55. To your criteria Not sure if it offers the shorter four-door cab and short bed, a good factory TBC & good tow mirrors.

The diesel Colorado. It offers factory tow mirrors and despite the narrow body sees around the travel trailer better than the taco. It has the safety of the turbo brake and I believe TBC. Enough unrelenting turbo diesel torque to tow your AS over the mountains in a manner the taco can’t. Realistic 30 Mpg Highway unloaded at 65 and 15 average mpg towing your airstream at 65. Now has GDE tune available to eliminate emissions issue and give it a bit more pep in the step. Naturally no diesel is going to be the hot rod of the Ford EB but doesn’t have the bad tow mileage either. Again my gas pick would be the tundra.

The 3rd truck to test drive would be the Ram Ecodiesel. Same major benefits of the diesel Colorado. Hands down best ride. Plus Has available shorter quad cab & shorter 5.7 bed. Great factory TBC & tow mirrors. Mine has GDE tune with turbo brake. I’ve found it will limit down hill speed without foot or TBC assistance to 6,000 pounds of trailer on a 6 percent grade. (I transport AS commercially with it) It’s very reassuring towing down mountain grades & might be in part why my first brakes lasted 293k. Mileage with tune 30 HWY at 65 & average 15 towing an AS with cruise set on 65. My 4 door is rated to tow 8,800. Truck now has 484k and I still enjoy driving it.
VernDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 04:31 AM   #36
Strathspey

2017 30' International
Ottawa , Ontario
If you’re willing to consider other options. Our condo parking space will not fit a large truck, so we went to a large German SUV which barely fits. However, we’re quite happy with our Audi Q7 towing our 2017 International 30.
Strathspey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 04:43 AM   #37
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
I loved my Tacoma also. It pulled our 19’ Bambi with no worries, and was fantastic as an off road vehicle once we hit the mountains. It went over every pass in CO that the lifted Jeep Wranglers went. When we switched to a 23FB in 2012, I didn’t want to push it, and I wanted to haul a dirt bike.. So the Tacoma became a Tundra. They are just great trucks. Bought used four years ago (it’s not a daily driver) and have taken it from 36,000 mi to 80,000 mi. It’s a Toyota so I’ve kept up with fluids, and tires. It drives exactly like it did the day I bought it. I’m pretty sure 10 years from now it will still be exactly the same. No rattles, no play in the steering, solid and quiet. I’m not getting 20 mpg, but I get 11-12 towing, that’s not that much worse than what I see reported from other brands. I was a ford guy for 20 years. They burned me with 3 explorers and an expedition. Couldn’t keep them running. I really think the big auto companies have all improved quality from where it wants 20 yrs ago. But there’s three Toyota’s in our garage, and three less things to worry about.
Old 11-12-2018, 09:05 AM   #38
Our "S" peeled off

2012 30' Classic
Topeka , Kansas
Trucks - one of my favorite topics

There are many threads about Tow Vehicles (TVs) which ultimately come down to personal preference. My Dad said something which has become my basic philosophy - "You may not need this much truck every day, but when you do, it is there."

With that in mind, I chose an '01 Dodge Cummins 2500 4x4. It doesn't have all the additions which inhibit its performance. Additionally, it is a six speed, so I can place all that torque where I think it needs to be. It pulls our 30 Classic without a hiccup. It is my daily driver and the heavy traffic around me generally gives me a little extra leeway.

It is getting harder to find a one-owner '01 like mine, but there are great rigs out there which are just as capable but cost much less.
Airtream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 09:16 AM   #39
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Get what YOU decide is best...

There are a lot of things to consider when buying a TV.
Arranging the priorities is up to the buyer...safety items and capability first.
MPG is a consideration, but IMO, not at the top of the list.

Bob
🇺🇸

Love for the Adirondacks

"It is more wiser to ponder all things with diligent suspicion, than follow with blind assumption."
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 09:49 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Sioux Falls , SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
There are a lot of things to consider when buying a TV.

Arranging the priorities is up to the buyer...safety items and capability first.

MPG is a consideration, but IMO, not at the top of the list.

Bob

I agree w/ Bob, if your primary concern is MPG you may be missing the whole point.

If you look at the most things people complain about in their TV it is capacity (payload) and comfort in driving (too big, bumpy etc).

I LOVE how an F150 drives/feels but, went w/a Ram 2500 diesel for our 28’ because I KNEW I would carry a lot of crap and I did NOT want to do 40 mph in a 60 mph up hills/passes. We have not been dissatisfied at all.

W/that said, IMO you would be best w/ an F150/ECO for all the reasons stated previously in the thread. When you are at ease towing down the highway, it is a nice feeling.

Good luck!
Dan
Better to live one day a lion than a lifetime a sheep. Camp hard, camp often
DBinSD is offline   Reply With Quote