Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2021, 06:05 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Forest Grove , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRH View Post
I have a F350. I have towed my 25 ft. trailer with and without the WDH and friction sway control. I feel like drives better with the WDH. I can certainly tell the difference when I go across a rough place like a bridge expansion.
You can have an F650 and if your trailer isn't weighted correctly you will eventually get trailer sway. It's physics.
ForestStranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 06:09 PM   #22
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
^^^There's not much worry with my 25ft trailer having too little tongue weight.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 06:50 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Right now your instrument cluster has a display in the upper right hand area showing "turbo boost".(just barely visible in the picture above). There probably is an obscure menu you can get to that lets you change this to "DEF level". At least to me DEF is the more useful thing to watch. It also shows you if the dealer filled the tank or not ..... wish I'd known this about 3,000 miles ago. Maybe one should read the manual .... never ....

Does yours work the same as mine? No idea. Mine is a KR and the display is a little different ....

Bob
The DEF Level is an option on the menu. I am not new to diesels but, new to DEF. What happens if you run out?
Woolecox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 10:58 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Ford , Virginia
We bought a 2021 F250XLT, diesel 6.7L back in Feb and I can’t say enough good about it. I’m towing a FC25FBQ and I average 14.5mpg doing 65 mph. Without the trailer I’m averaging 24mpg. I was leaning initially to the gas version because of the $10K cost differential and higher price of diesel, but on our road trip from the east coast to the southwest, diesel was about the same price as regular gas in many stations (check out Gas Buddy app for lowest prices. Be sure to call first). I gave $60K for my F250 with spray liner and leather added. Not sure what the 150’s were selling for at the time when you could get them, but all things considered, I love the truck. I do have 1 concern, which is the 10 speed transmission. It seems to clunk when downshifting into 8 while climbing a hill and towing. Just this 1 gear, the rest are smooth. Wondered if anyone else had that experience? The dealer brushed it off as nothing to worry about.
Spec7op is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 04:53 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2009 34' Classic
Lake Worth Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolecox View Post
The DEF Level is an option on the menu. I am not new to diesels but, new to DEF. What happens if you run out?
You don’t necessarily need to have the DEF level displayed in the instrument cluster, unless you want it. Either way, you’ll get a warning with about 500 (or is it 250?) miles to go. If you keep ignoring the warning you’ll eventually go into limp mode and your engine won’t start next time you shut it off. You’ll need to be towed to the dealer to fill the tank and clear the error. At least on my RAM and Jeep, once you run out you can’t just fill it and go on your way; it needs to go to the dealer. Don’t run out of DEF.

If you use the store-bought DEF in the 2.5 gallon containers, buy only when you need, and if you store it, make sure you store in a cool place. DEF hates heat and degrades in higher temperatures, leading to expensive and time-consuming repairs to the DEF system. Ask me how I know. I’m in South Florida and my vehicles sit in the sun many days, so I only put half a container in each vehicle at a time so it won’t sit in the tank for too long.

Jim
2016 RAM 2500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4, Cummins TurboDiesel
AirstreamJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 05:24 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec7op View Post
We bought a 2021 F250XLT, diesel 6.7L back in Feb and I can’t say enough good about it. I’m towing a FC25FBQ and I average 14.5mpg doing 65 mph. Without the trailer I’m averaging 24mpg. I was leaning initially to the gas version because of the $10K cost differential and higher price of diesel, but on our road trip from the east coast to the southwest, diesel was about the same price as regular gas in many stations (check out Gas Buddy app for lowest prices. Be sure to call first). I gave $60K for my F250 with spray liner and leather added. Not sure what the 150’s were selling for at the time when you could get them, but all things considered, I love the truck. I do have 1 concern, which is the 10 speed transmission. It seems to clunk when downshifting into 8 while climbing a hill and towing. Just this 1 gear, the rest are smooth. Wondered if anyone else had that experience? The dealer brushed it off as nothing to worry about.
I had the same problem with the 10 speed in my old 2018 F-150. I understand the 10 speed in the 250 is a totally different transmission.

My 150 transmission had to be rebuilt once and completely ate itself on a road trip one day 4 months after the rebuild. There is nothing like being stranded 4 hours from home when you have to be somewhere. It was downshifting rough as you describe before it failed. I would make them fix it. You may eventually need a whole new transmission.

So far, the 10 speed in my F-250 is shifting very smoothly. I only have 1000 miles on the truck.

Hope you are under warranty.
Old 10-18-2021, 05:35 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamJim View Post
You don’t necessarily need to have the DEF level displayed in the instrument cluster, unless you want it. Either way, you’ll get a warning with about 500 (or is it 250?) miles to go. If you keep ignoring the warning you’ll eventually go into limp mode and your engine won’t start next time you shut it off. You’ll need to be towed to the dealer to fill the tank and clear the error. At least on my RAM and Jeep, once you run out you can’t just fill it and go on your way; it needs to go to the dealer. Don’t run out of DEF.

If you use the store-bought DEF in the 2.5 gallon containers, buy only when you need, and if you store it, make sure you store in a cool place. DEF hates heat and degrades in higher temperatures, leading to expensive and time-consuming repairs to the DEF system. Ask me how I know. I’m in South Florida and my vehicles sit in the sun many days, so I only put half a container in each vehicle at a time so it won’t sit in the tank for too long.

Jim
Yep, did a little interweb searching. That is a bad thing. Sounds like the warnings will give you enough time to get to a truck stop or a Walmart. Although, sounds like the truck stop would be preferable if the fluid needs to be fresh like milk.

Diesel engines were not required to be emissions tested in the past. Is that still the case?

After the warranty expires, I would like to remove the catalytic converter and the DEF system.

Has anyone done this?
Old 10-18-2021, 07:04 AM   #28
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Why display the DEF level ...

The DEF alarms are highly random. You get an alarm at (say) 250, 182, 180, 173, 101 miles. It's abundantly unclear just why they do that. If you get below some magic number (50 miles?) the engine goes into "self protect" mode and you aren't going anywhere fast.

DEF is no different than fuel. You use it up as you drive. You will run out of it. Since the tank holds 7.5 gallons, a 2.5 gallon "box" of DEF from Lowes (cheaper than Walmart last week ..) will bump you up 1/3 of a tank. Grab some when you see the gauge getting to 1/2 full.

DEF does not go bad on the shelf (as long as the container is sealed).

There is another warning that can come up: "DEF Fluid Contaminated, see dealer immediately". Just like the magic mile warnings, it's unclear what causes this one. If you *do* have contamination, the "fix" either is or isn't covered by Ford. Apparently it's easier to get it covered if you haven't been filling at truck stops. I have not been through this one myself (other than seeing the random warning pop up) so who knows ...

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 07:11 AM   #29
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
I have a 2021 F350 diesel (love it), but I added a 60 gallon replacement fuel tank to get more distance between fill ups. Had one on my last F250, and it pays for itself in fairly short time, depending on how much you drive (filling when it is cheap(er)).
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 07:15 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
Re removing the system: You’re testing us? Haven’t you read about the coal roll in’ internet stars facing big fines and loss of their trucks for disabling their emissions systems? Why would you do all that work to get around the inconvenience of keeping another fluid topped off, and render your truck unsalable in the process? Are you ready to re-engineer the ECU? As we used to say in college, “Let’s not, and say we did.”
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 09:48 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Richmond Hill , Georgia
GetawayA-S

There are rumors floating around the internet that the EPA is considering backing off DEF rules - most importantly that when you run out the engine will not go above idle. But I think that is wishful thinking of trucking companies struggle with the current supply chain challenge.

I too have a 2021 F250 6.7L. My numbers: 2600 lb payload, 22 mpg not towing 14-15 towing 27 foot GT. I’m pretty happy - although price of diesel seems to be biggest game in town. I have seen a 50 to 75 cent variation.
RobdaSlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 05:10 AM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2009 34' Classic
Lake Worth Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolecox View Post
After the warranty expires, I would like to remove the catalytic converter and the DEF system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetawA-S View Post
Re removing the system: You’re testing us? Haven’t you read about the coal roll in’ internet stars facing big fines and loss of their trucks for disabling their emissions systems? Why would you do all that work to get around the inconvenience of keeping another fluid topped off, and render your truck unsalable in the process? Are you ready to re-engineer the ECU? As we used to say in college, “Let’s not, and say we did.”
I’m not sure of the current status, but a couple years ago some of the companies that sell tuned ECUs that allowed you to delete the emissions control systems were shut down by the EPA. I believe they’ve reopened but with a re-engineered product that doesn’t allow the delete.

As I have no interest in defeating the emission controls on my vehicles I haven’t followed this issue closely, so do your due diligence.

I will also say that rolling coal seems to be a popular thing here in Florida. There’s not much worse than being stuck behind one of those jerks in heavy traffic, with a blast of smoke in my face every time traffic moves a little faster. I’m not a fan of breathing that crap. But if you don’t care about other people’s health, well, have at it if your state allows it.

Jim
2016 RAM 2500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4, Cummins TurboDiesel
AirstreamJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 06:09 AM   #33
3 Rivet Member

Really? How concerned are we about the environment while driving the big trucks and pulling trailers that dumped tons of carbon into the atmosphere just to manufacture?

If anyone here was that concerned about it, they would not be here. They would be driving a Prius or riding a bike and tent camping.

Before emissions control on cars and trucks, 3/4 and 1 ton diesel pickups were not that bad at putting black smoke in the air unless the owner had them tuned that way.

That is not the answer I was looking for. I do NOT want a debate from the tree hugging bunny kissing Prius drivers. I am as eco-minded as anyone but, at what cost? Are we really making a difference?

The reason to get rid of the all the emissions crap and retune/re-chip your truck is to get more power out of it and better fuel economy. It might even be just as eco friendly if all the extra parts had never been manufactured and it had come from the factory that way. "Green" is big business, big profit. I am not sure if it is much else.

I can promise you that I will never be the guy in front of you in your city traffic jam belching black smoke in your face. That is the Bubba (my neighbor) that has spent $15,000 dollars jacking up his 250/350, huge wheels/tires, high cap whining turbo, etc. and making his truck useless.

Modifying trucks in Texas to increase power and reduce fuel consumption is big business. I will be looking into it when the time comes.
Old 10-19-2021, 06:30 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2021 20' Caravel
Plaistow , New Hampshire
Congrats and enjoy.
Old 10-19-2021, 08:30 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
OK, Woolecox, Texas is a different world. You could have said that without the creative pejoratives.
It is possible to own a trailer and have concerns about fuel efficiency. In fact, the majority of forum members seem to have that as a priority.
My experiences match more closely with AirstreamJim. But if what you are doing is legal and doesn’t impact other people’s health, have at it and post proudly. It’s your truck.
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 08:41 AM   #36
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobdaSlob View Post

I too have a 2021 F250 6.7L. My numbers: 2600 lb payload, 22 mpg not towing 14-15 towing 27 foot GT. I’m pretty happy - although price of diesel seems to be biggest game in town. I have seen a 50 to 75 cent variation.
Hi

What trim level is your F250? The payload is about 400 pounds less than my gas F250 Platinum was.

Bob
Old 10-20-2021, 07:26 AM   #37
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Richmond Hill , Georgia
Quote:
Hi

What trim level is your F250? The payload is about 400 pounds less than my gas F250 Platinum was.

Bob
I have a 2021 F250 Platinum.
2671 payload
5200 front GAWF
6340 rear GAWR - 3.55 electronic locking.
10800 gross weight package
High cap trler tow package.

Based on some of your other posts Bob I was hunting for a Godzilla gasser, came within about two signatures of buying one. But for a variety of reasons ended up doing a little more looking and found this truck.

Rob
Old 10-20-2021, 07:34 AM   #38
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Daytona Beach , Florida
Wow.......I'm seeing some crazy mileages here from the Fords, it's almost like the Cummins folks who figure their milage running downhill with a 70 mph tailwind.
nitzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 07:13 AM   #39
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobdaSlob View Post
I have a 2021 F250 Platinum.
2671 payload
5200 front GAWF
6340 rear GAWR - 3.55 electronic locking.
10800 gross weight package
High cap trler tow package.

Based on some of your other posts Bob I was hunting for a Godzilla gasser, came within about two signatures of buying one. But for a variety of reasons ended up doing a little more looking and found this truck.

Rob
Hi

There have been a number of posts about how Ford "ups the numbers" on the diesel so it has no impact. That always seemed a bit crazy. Your F250 and the one I had are right at 400 pounds difference in payload. Mine had the 6.2 gas engine, but otherwise was same / same.

Interesting .....

Bob
Old 10-21-2021, 09:11 AM   #40
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Richmond Hill , Georgia
Quote:
Hi

There have been a number of posts about how Ford "ups the numbers" on the diesel so it has no impact. That always seemed a bit crazy. Your F250 and the one I had are right at 400 pounds difference in payload. Mine had the 6.2 gas engine, but otherwise was same / same.

Interesting .....

Bob
Aluminum body was introduced in 2017 and supposedly shaved 350 lbs off the truck.