Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2022, 03:51 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2020 23' International
Evergreen , Colorado
I donít know how people camp with an SUV tow vehicle

Iím not knocking SUVs and Iím not starting a debate about the towing capabilities of SUVs vs. trucks. Each has their advantages and disadvantages and I understand why some people want to use their daily driver SUV as a tow vehicle. Thatís not what this thread is about.

I use my Airstream for recreational camping, usually taking place in the Rocky Mountains. We use it as our mobile base for fly fishing, hiking, camping, rafting, etc. We donít live in it or travel for extended periods of time. Itís a camper.

I just returned home this afternoon from a fly fishing trip up in the mountains. It was fantastic, but it rained quite a bit on Saturday afternoon and overnight into Sunday morning. It was an absolute mess breaking down the campsite this morning, and lots of dirt and mud got into the Airstream. I had to fold up a wet, muddy outdoor carpet/mat and toss it in the back of my truck with my wet fishing waders and boots. I put the wet Weber Q1200 and wet Yeti cooler back there too. It was messy.

I canít imagine tossing this mess into the back of an SUV, especially a luxury SUV. Iíd hate to mess up the carpet! Iíd never want to toss all that wet stuff into the back of our Jaguar SUV. I donít know how you do it!

Again, Iím not knocking the SUV choice. I know lots of people make it work. Iím sure many people also camp like the couples shown in the Airstream brochures who are always inside of a perfectly clean Airstream while they slice vegetables and prepare a gourmet meal.

To all the SUV people out there, I commend you for the efforts need to keep things tidy inside your vehicle. Im glad it works for you and your camping style. Iím happy I have a truck though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A6407875-51EB-4529-902C-3C5F55A866D2.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	434.9 KB
ID:	419952  

Previous: Airstream International Serenity 23 FB
Current: Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 04:04 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
I’m not knocking SUVs and I’m not starting a debate about the towing capabilities of SUVs vs. trucks. Each has their advantages and disadvantages and I understand why some people want to use their daily driver SUV as a tow vehicle. That’s not what this thread is about.

I use my Airstream for recreational camping, usually taking place in the Rocky Mountains. We use it as our mobile base for fly fishing, hiking, camping, rafting, etc. We don’t live in it or travel for extended periods of time. It’s a camper.

I just returned home this afternoon from a fly fishing trip up in the mountains. It was fantastic, but it rained quite a bit on Saturday afternoon and overnight into Sunday morning. It was an absolute mess breaking down the campsite this morning, and lots of dirt and mud got into the Airstream. I had to fold up a wet, muddy outdoor carpet/mat and toss it in the back of my truck with my wet fishing waders and boots. I put the wet Weber Q1200 and wet Yeti cooler back there too. It was messy.

I can’t imagine tossing this mess into the back of an SUV, especially a luxury SUV. I’d hate to mess up the carpet! I’d never want to toss all that wet stuff into the back of our Jaguar SUV. I don’t know how you do it!

Again, I’m not knocking the SUV choice. I know lots of people make it work. I’m sure many people also camp like the couples shown in the Airstream brochures who are always inside of a perfectly clean Airstream while they slice vegetables and prepare a gourmet meal.

To all the SUV people out there, I commend you for the efforts need to keep things tidy inside your vehicle. Im glad it works for you and your camping style. I’m happy I have a truck though.
HAHA...that certainly will be us.

We currently have an X5 we'll be using to tow, and it's our second X5.

We're both chefs and we've hauled food and equipment down some very remote and unpaved roads, we use it for Home Depot and Costco runs, camped out of it, and taken it to Michelin restaurants for date night.

We have WeatherTech all around in both of our current vehicles. Neither of us fishes, but we can clean and cook fish like no one's business! Tonight we're having King Salmon from NORCAL.

You're right, it's all about use. We're older and retiring soon. I hike, she doesn't. We'll mostly be taking a grandkid or two to the beach, mountains, or Disney.

We traded our first X5 late last year specifically for this one with the factory tow package. It's such a great vehicle (IMO).
propchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 04:10 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2020 23' International
Evergreen , Colorado
That’s awesome. I’m sure the Weather Tech mats help. I’ve got them in my truck too.

We cook quite a bit also when camping, but we keep it simple and use the Weber grille as much as possible. I grilled a fantastic filet mignon on Friday evening. I need to get a small, portable sous vide system for the Airstream…

Old 07-24-2022, 04:12 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
Ha, this thread could get entertaining!

We are also campers and we tow with an SUV — a Yukon Denali XL — which is essentially a 1/2 ton pickup with an enclosed rear. We actually refer to it as “the truck” and very rarely use it around town. To deal with the water and mud, we have a full-size Weathertech mat with a sizable raised edge all the way around. Not perfect, but real good.

We also have a luxury mid-size SUV which for the reasons you mention we never consider using as a tow vehicle, even though the spec’s indicate we could.

The deciding factors for us in the truck v. SUV trade offs was the enclosed storage and the easy access to forward stuff from the interior.
field & stream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 04:15 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
We have been towing our 19' with various Jeep Grand Cherokees since buying the trailer new in 2002. The trailer is mostly used for fly fishing for a month each year. We have never had a problem with waders, wading boots, etc. for the two of us in the back of those SUVs. The boots, whether muddy or not, have their own water-tight plastic box and the waders have a fairly water resistant duffel bag. Just takes a little organization.

The waders dry at night in the Airstream's shower stall and the wading boots remain wet in their plastic box since they will get wet and muddy the next day. Sometimes they do freeze at night!

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 04:17 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
Thatís awesome. Iím sure the Weather Tech mats help. Iíve got them in my truck too.

We cook quite a bit also when camping, but we keep it simple and use the Weber grille as much as possible. I grilled a fantastic filet mignon on Friday evening. I need to get a small, portable sous vide system for the AirstreamÖ
We have and use a Joule at home, and I have 7 of them at work. I've never used one camping, but HAVE used it to pre-prepare and freeze meals. It's great for that because then at the campsite, you only need hot water to reheat your meal.

We also use the grill a lot. Tonight salmon, last night scallops, last week it was paella, all on the grill.

I car camp with a Porsche 911. Last week I was in Portola Redwoods with it. I managed to spill an unknown quantity of water on the drive there and it took a few days to dry, but no permanent harm. She still cleans up better than most 16-year-old cars.

Have fun, go camping, stuff happens. It makes a great story.
propchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 04:55 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Looks like you where in South Park

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-X90F using Airstream Forums mobile app
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 05:01 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
My favorite TV was a 2014 ML350 BlueTec pulling a 2012 25í FBT.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	19F476CA-05B2-4E9B-9DB2-5364571DA9D9.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	281.5 KB
ID:	419955  
Old 07-24-2022, 05:19 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2020 23' International
Evergreen , Colorado
Yes I was in South Park. The afternoon storms were significant.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3947F7CB-DDB6-4B67-9DE8-BDDF0758B495.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	286.1 KB
ID:	419959  

Old 07-24-2022, 05:29 PM   #10
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Ok, try camping with *tents* in an SUV. Everything you deal with in a trailer is pretty tame compared to breaking down wet tents and the like. We did that sort of thing for many decades. Simple answer is that stuff goes into bags and gets dried out when it comes out of the bag.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 07:16 PM   #11
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
It's not difficult at all. We tow with a 1999 Suburban 2500, and we've got a Weather Tech mat with a 3" lip which covers the entire back cargo area all the way from the tailgate to the backside of the rear seats. When we get home at the end of a trip it gets pulled out and hosed down.

Most things are carried in totes, and things like the outdoor carpet have their own carry bag. If the mat is muddy/dirty we do our best to shake off what we can, and then we roll the dirty side towards the inside and shove it in its carry bag. Hopefully it will be drier/cleaner at the next stop and we'll be able to clean the mat there. Same thing for any other large/dirty items - they go into their carry bags or trash bags if needed.

I guess my question for those not using a closed in SUV and towing with an open bed pickup is the opposite of the OP's question...How do you tow your rig in the rain or on wet/muddy roads without getting all your gear soaking wet? I can't imagine what all the gear and spare parts in my totes would look like after a while in the wet while driving down the highway in the rain - in the back of the Suburban they arrive clean and dry.

There are pros & cons for all the various modes of towing - open pickup bed, covered pickup bed, SUV, van, etc.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 07:39 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Two dogs, two bikes, two people in the SUV, a kayak on the roof, fly fishing gear in the Airstream. No problem.
Old 07-24-2022, 09:27 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2020 23' International
Evergreen , Colorado
There are definitely pros and cons for each. I have a locking tonneau cover over the bed of my truck that keeps everything pretty dry and secure.. Again, my main concern with the SUV was all the muddy, wet, and smelly stuff that I can just toss in the back of the truck. Sounds like people have solutions to all those issues!

Old 07-24-2022, 09:29 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Whatís rain?
Fungus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 10:22 PM   #15
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

One unmentioned wrinkle on the SUV setup: Get a "roof box". They likely will fit up there and still allow a kayak to sit next to them. All that "stinky stuff" that bugs you can toss up there. ( no, we didn't use it that way, but you could..... ).

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 10:39 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2022 27' Globetrotter
DALLAS , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by propchef View Post
HAHA...that certainly will be us.

We currently have an X5 we'll be using to tow, and it's our second X5.

We're both chefs and we've hauled food and equipment down some very remote and unpaved roads, we use it for Home Depot and Costco runs, camped out of it, and taken it to Michelin restaurants for date night.

We have WeatherTech all around in both of our current vehicles. Neither of us fishes, but we can clean and cook fish like no one's business! Tonight we're having King Salmon from NORCAL.

You're right, it's all about use. We're older and retiring soon. I hike, she doesn't. We'll mostly be taking a grandkid or two to the beach, mountains, or Disney.

We traded our first X5 late last year specifically for this one with the factory tow package. It's such a great vehicle (IMO).
Yup. Weathertech everywhere is the answer.

Front floor mats replaced by Weathertech mats.

Second row floor mats replaced by Weathertech.

Cargo area mat replaced by... Drum roll please... Nah, I will leave you hanging... Lol...
foobar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 11:03 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
Volvo had its own trunk/cargo area mats before WeatherTech existed.

The woven plastic campsite mat gets folded, wet or dry, and stuffed into its carry bag. It gets hosed out at home, on the concrete driveway. Firewood is usually spruce 2x4 shorts from a local roof truss plant, packed in grocery boxes. Clean, no bark, no mud, no pests.

Kayaks are carried on the roof of the car. No generator, we use a solar panel.

We make it work by focusing on what we need to bring along.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 06:02 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Oh, I missed the point. I use Weathertech mats and Canvasback covers for the setbacks.
Old 07-25-2022, 07:18 AM   #19

Currently Looking...
Wyoming , Pennsylvania
We have a Ford Explorer suv. The day we purchased we ordered WeatherTech mats for the entire vehicle, front, back and cargo area. I do quite a bit of gardening & planting so just remove mats and hose down. My bf is also a fly fishing enthusiast and has all the gear that goes along with his hobby. He is extremely ocd about keeping the vehicle clean!! Our carpets still look great after a few years.
RIAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 07:47 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
We tow our FC 25 RBT with a 2013 Ford E150 XLT Premium van. This is a passenger van with factory leather interior and full carpeting thru out. We remove all the seats except the 2 in front. I line the floor with couple layers of moving blankets from Harbor freight. We have had to pack up couple times in pouring rain. In go the bikes, chairs, Q1000 grill, etc. So far, I am still using the original blankets and the carpet is still great shape. I am very, very particular about the cleanliness of all of our vehicles and the AS of course. The van works for us. We used to be boaters and all the boat junk went right into the back of the van. I have never owned a pickup truck, but I can see where sometimes there is an advantage to having the open bed truck.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote