Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-08-2021, 01:38 PM   #101
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
Always loved that pic, but now days I just look at it and wonder where he got E rated bike tires.
I'd like to see that pic except modify it with him trying to stop the trailer on a 7% downhill grade.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 02:23 PM   #102
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Spokane , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeplover View Post
BTW... I'm an ex-automotive OEM guy and know that published numbers have a serious amount of safety built in... so MY numbers take that into account.

You don't need a sledge hammer to hang a picture.......................!
It's not really about how safe you feel. It's about what happens when something unaccountable happens and you can't stop, etc. It's negligent and therefore a liability issue, my dude.
coltnkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 04:52 PM   #103
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
I'd like to see that pic except modify it with him trying to stop the trailer on a 7% downhill grade.
It looks like a single speed, so he should be able to use engine breaking. I am picturing all limbs flailing on that -7% grade. Hopefully there is a runaway bike ramp close by
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 03:46 AM   #104
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonRich7878 View Post
Attachment 407740

When men were men and F250's were scared..
And, what about his weight distribution anti-sway hitch?

- Equalizer
- Blue Ox
- Other?
Woolecox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 07:53 AM   #105
1 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Fort Collins , Colorado
Not gonna be fun

I just pulled my 2017 16’ Basecamp from Utah to Tennessse with my 2021 Gladiator Mojave.

I recently sold my Tundra because the dealer offered me a stupendous sum for it. Let’s just say that I am on the waiting list for a 2022 Tundra and will be selling the Jeep the day the Tundra arrives.

Has the OP tested this rig on the Highway yet? It should be pretty easy to figure out.
ColoradoBCer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 01:23 PM   #106
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Warren , New Jersey
Gladiator towing 6000+ lb Trailer

As others have said, the Gladiator can tow 7000-7600 lb when it is equipped with the right package. The trailer towing package includes increased cooling.

I challenge anyone to find a technical paper supporting 10% hitch weight. In Europe 6% or less is common. However, the trailers are being built for 10%, so getting the weight distribution changed without adding weight in the tail (creating a high polar moment of inertia) is difficult if not impossible in any meaningful way.

The ProPride and Henssely hitches are virtual fifth wheel hitches...the pivot point is just a few inches behind the rear axle and they are VERY stable. I drove for 2 hours with a flat on a two-axle trailer and didn't know the tire was gone. Wind issues effectively go away unless they blow your whole rig around.

I would use LT tires. They generally have a stiffer sidewall which should improve stability. The max tow packages on 1500 pickups typically come with LT tires.
DavidNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 05:02 PM   #107
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lake George , Colorado
OP is committed to his TV. As I read his post he’s asking for route information. You can lead a horse…
2MileHi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 05:08 PM   #108
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2MileHi View Post
You can lead a horse…

This one is just getting beaten

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 05:12 PM   #109
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2MileHi View Post
OP is committed to his TV. As I read his post he’s asking for route information. You can lead a horse…
You can also lead an Airstreamer to a thread but you can't make him read it all. The OP came on here a week ago (post 57) and said he was taking the advice and is NOT going to tow with the Jeep, he has rented a Ram 2500 for the trip
Old 11-09-2021, 06:24 PM   #110
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeplover View Post
I'm planning a trip for June 2022... I pull my 25 with a Gladiator Rubicon without issue in MN, MI, WI, IL, IA etc... but want to get some input for this journey. We're leaving Minneapolis and heading to Napa... stopping at Yellowstone, Salt Lake City etc on the way... and then the Black Hills on the return. Looking at adding a supercharger for uphill climbs... downhill I'm comfortable with low-gear manual shifting, braking properly etc... but haven't been on I-80 since I was 15 in a rented Class-C / family road trip from MI to CA. We survived then so I'm not overly concerned... that thing had a 3-spd and most likely a 360 CU Mopar. Looking for thoughts / areas of extreme grade to avoid etc... and no, I'm not willing to upgrade my tow vehicle... been there / done that... the Gladiator does the job with style.

If you want specific route information that includes elevation/grade along the route try signing up for RV Trip Wizard. You can set up multiple stops and closely examine the gradient on each leg, changing the route as needed. There's a slider at the bottom of the screen that comes in to display this info either in the large view as in this screen shot or on a very granular level.

You can drag your route around on the map trying various options to get the best result for your towing comfort. There's the added bonus of 30,000 park listings, gas stations and other info

Click image for larger version

Name:	grade.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	251.6 KB
ID:	407814

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 01:49 PM   #111
4 Rivet Member

2004 22' International CCD
Beaumont , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03enduro View Post
I was very surprised with the posts mentioning 65mph. Really? You’d tow a trailer at that speed? I guess you’ll be passing me as I’ll be pulling my mid 70s 27’ trailer in the right hand lane at 55 with my Jeep Grand Cherokee (3.0l diesel)
I get semi trucks pulling triples passing me at 80 all the time.

Yeah, with good tires I’ll pull an AS 70 mph for hours.
Ndcctrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 01:52 PM   #112
4 Rivet Member

Beaumont , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
His initial post said “Looking for thoughts”, so I’d say ALL the posts answered the question. He got plenty of thoughts!
Thoughts about grades, not which TV he should change to or whether his Gladiator was capable.
Old 11-12-2021, 02:01 PM   #113
4 Rivet Member

Beaumont , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
NDCCTRUCKS and you didn't answer his question either just tooted your own horn [emoji9]
No.

I gave a real-world example of what vehicles, carefully driven and carefully loaded, are capable of despite published specifications…. INSTEAD of Googling numbers and spouting opinions not addressing the original question.
Old 11-12-2021, 02:33 PM   #114
4 Rivet Member

2021 28' International
Knoxville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndcctrucks View Post
No.

I gave a real-world example of what vehicles, carefully driven and carefully loaded, are capable of despite published specifications…. INSTEAD of Googling numbers and spouting opinions not addressing the original question.
You gave one personal example of one time that you didn't have a problem while being overloaded and taking risk.

If that's your point, it was well understood, thanks.
Gibson3798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 03:15 PM   #115
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
Quote:
No.

Respectfully, you kind of miss the point of the published standards established by the automotive engineers.

Your comments seem to imply that they represent the limit beyond which catastrophic failure is immediate and certain — and that your single trip proves the engineers wrong. However, the numbers represent the limits beyond which the risk of failure becomes too high to be borne by the public.

Your reported lack of problems (which you generously attribute to your skill) doesn’t prove anything. The problem with your armchair quarterbacking of the pro’s is that you are putting others at risk too.
field & stream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 06:07 PM   #116
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
Wow, I am remembering why I stoped frequenting this forum.
2022 25RBT FC, 50A Dual AC, Awning Package, 270W Solar, Convection Microwave. Ceramic Coat, Grand Lounge, 3" Lift, 16" Michelin RIBs, Multiplus II, Battleborn 400A, MPPT 100/50, Orion-TR 30, EasyStart (2), Easy Touch, AirKrafters jenRack, Onan 2500i, Truma Aquago Confort, Starlink, Pepwave, Parsec
2012FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 10:20 PM   #117
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
East Lansing , Michigan
Quote:
I get semi trucks pulling triples passing me at 80 all the time.

Yeah, with good tires I’ll pull an AS 70 mph for hours.
It's not how fast you can go, but rather how fast, remain under control and safely you can stop.
SnowWanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 10:29 AM   #118
Rivet Master

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Williamson County , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibson3798 View Post
You gave one personal example of one time that you didn't have a problem while being overloaded and taking risk.

If that's your point, it was well understood, thanks.
Don't feed the troll LOL
Old 11-13-2021, 10:25 PM   #119
4 Rivet Member

2022 22' Bambi
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Villa Park , Alabama
Welp, this is entertaining. Even though the OP capitulated to the onslaught, and revealed that he is renting an HD truck in post #57, here we are 60+ posts later fighting the good fight.
For my money, the route to take from MN to WY would be I-90 to Rapid City, SD and take some combination of 2-lane roads through WY to the Teton-Yellowstone area. Going this way poses a more level constant climb in altitude, and never a huge stretch of steep uphill.
drmox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 04:28 AM   #120
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmox View Post
Welp, this is entertaining. Even though the OP capitulated to the onslaught, and revealed that he is renting an HD truck in post #57, here we are 60+ posts later fighting the good fight.
For my money, the route to take from MN to WY would be I-90 to Rapid City, SD and take some combination of 2-lane roads through WY to the Teton-Yellowstone area. Going this way poses a more level constant climb in altitude, and never a huge stretch of steep uphill.
Now there, is some useful information. Thanks!

I just bought the RV Life Pro bundle. The whole thing was on sale for $49/year. I planned some routes using it and different map apps I have always used.

The RVL routes avoided cities, traffic, and construction better than the rest while keeping it RV friendly.

I know this to be true (at least in part) because I have traveled some of these routes before and know where the trouble spots are. I will give it a try.

Cheers,
Wooly
Woolecox is offline   Reply With Quote