Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-01-2021, 10:05 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by geo View Post
You will be facing a long and relatively steep climb and descent over Donner Summit in California. This is the highest elevation point of I-80. It may be hot during your drive that time of year, thanks in part to climate change. Pay close attention to your engine temperature, and turn off the air conditioner on the steeper climbs. If necessary, pull over at the truck brake check stations to cool off before starting the descent.
Would add that you can roll down the windows and turn the internal heat to max with fan set to high. Ask me how I know this.
2022 25RBT FC, 50A Dual AC, Awning Package, 270W Solar, Convection Microwave. Ceramic Coat, Grand Lounge, 3" Lift, 16" Michelin RIBs, Multiplus II, Battleborn 400A, MPPT 100/50, Orion-TR 30, EasyStart (2), Easy Touch, AirKrafters jenRack, Onan 2500i, Truma Aquago Confort, Starlink, Pepwave, Parsec
2012FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 10:50 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
palm beach gardens , Florida
Style doesn't help that much with towing.
Starlight Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 11:06 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01bambi16 View Post
Supercharger. Yeah ok.
Yeah, it is OK. Better than OK.

I added a supercharger to my tow vehicle 85,000 miles ago and have towed multiple types of trailers all over the Western US. Not a single engine problem, same gas mileage.

The OP is starting out with a 3.6 liter gas motor (220 cu in) which develops only 285 hp and 260 ft lb of torque at sea level. At western elevations the motor will lose 20-30% of that. A supercharger and tuning could easily add 40-50% to those numbers and would be particularly beneficial at elevation.

However, it won’t help with any other trailering issues like payload or control.
field & stream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 11:36 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Key West , Florida
Windy I-80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
Your biggest challenge, in my opinion, will be wind in South Dakota. My last camping trip to the badlands across I-80 was ridiculously windy. Windy conditions are not uncommon on I-80. Make sure your weight distribution hitch is properly configured for your rig and drive at a speed that’s appropriate for the conditions.

I won’t comment on your tow vehicle because I don’t know the numbers for your rig. I hope you have a fantastic trip!
While everyone seems to be betting against the little Jeep. My money's on Jeep because style does count...

South Dakota is one of my favorite states and I agree it can be windy, and it will likely be windy on the I-80 route also.
DonRich7878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 11:51 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Key West , Florida
Hot

[QUOTE=geo;2551573]You will be facing a long and relatively steep climb and descent over Donner Summit in California. This is the highest elevation point of I-80. It may be hot during your drive that time of year, thanks in part to climate change....

It will be hot in part to it being summer time, a seasonal period that includes the longest day of the year as an annual event.
Old 11-01-2021, 12:17 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2021 28' International
Knoxville , Tennessee
Style over substance......not a great position when family (and the family's of others) are at risk.

Make no mistake, they are at risk with this setup.
Gibson3798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 12:20 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
Same drive line as the Jeep Grand Cherokee. Jeep's tow ratings are based on the engine. My 6 is rated 6200 lb; the 8 is rated 7300 lb; the diesel is rated over 8000 lb....same vehicle; just engine size. I suspect his Rubicon has down hill assist like my JGC. I pulled the 25 with a Dakota 3.55 rear end with the 4.7 V8. Yes it was under powered on hills but I never worried about down hill. Just don't ride the brakes... you use them cyclically. I have climbed Sandstone Mountain in W Va. with the Dakota... 1st gear, 30 MPH for 5 miles on a 95 degree day ....no big deal. It's down side was only a 3 speed Tranny (+OD)
I love My Jeep. Did a test run just before I sold the 25 Classic. Worked better than the Dakota. Andy likes my jeep... talked about a customer who pulled a 30 ft all over North America with the Grand Cherokee. I will be pulling a 23 FB next year.

The OP knows his vehicle. He asked for an opinion and he got it. Maybe not what he wanted to hear, but all valid comments to be taken in context and then his decision is his alone.
That is the value of the Forums. lots of opinions....
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 02:46 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Key West , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibson3798 View Post
Style over substance......not a great position when family (and the family's of others) are at risk.

Make no mistake, they are at risk with this setup.
--------------

Life is a risky endeavor.

According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration web site, its a mind numbing risk to drive, over 3.5 million people have died on American highways, of which approximately 200,000 were children under 16 years of age.

With all this tragedy, you won't be able to convince me that the little Jeep don't get points for style...

Gibson I'm so sorry you are too afraid to live for fear of dying.
Old 11-01-2021, 03:32 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeplover View Post
Appreciate the replies... even the negative tone of some... I asked.

I researched the heck out of this setup when I purchased realizing the numbers were tight... but I also wasn't planning a trip out west. I am also doing the research for this drive... joining and posting is just part of the process.

I was warned when I bought my AS not to get into a discussion on TVs... I guess they were right.
I can't vouch for the accuracy of this guys work but, if these charts are correct, Max trailer weight for the Rubicon with manual Transmission is 4500# with a Tongue Weight of 450#.

If this is the case, you are in trouble. You still have not posted the specs from your door frame and your truck manual. Not a jab but, maybe you don't understand these numbers. Most people don't and most dealers know even less. I would suggest going to a shop that deals in trailer and truck towing accessories. They will know.

https://letstowthat.com/jeep-gladiat...ng-capacities/

Please come back and post during, and after the trip. All opinions will be mute at that point.

Good Luck!
Woolecox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 03:49 PM   #30
1 Rivet Member

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Plymouth , Minnesota
I really appreciate all the responses / opinions... my goal is to be safe and obviously not die / kill anyone. Uphill = no issue... downhill is my only concern. I'm looking at slotted rotors / drilled rotors to keep things cool and have registered for a few sites with interstate grades etc...

I'm feeling confident that we are good to go... however I'm not afraid to pull over and regroup if things get ugly.

Thanks for all the replies and opinions... especially from the folks who think this is a bad setup.

I will certainly let y'all know how this goes.............................................. ..
Jeeplover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 03:53 PM   #31
1 Rivet Member

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Plymouth , Minnesota
BTW... I'm an ex-automotive OEM guy and know that published numbers have a serious amount of safety built in... so MY numbers take that into account.

You don't need a sledge hammer to hang a picture.......................!
Old 11-01-2021, 03:59 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamTruck View Post
My hope is that this site will help you plan your travel.

https://www.flattestroute.com/Minnea...City-via-Omaha
That is an awesome site! I just bookmarked it.

Thanks.
Old 11-01-2021, 04:07 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
Regarding downhill is your only concern, the first thing you need to do is be sure the trailer brakes are dialed in properly so that they perform their share of the braking.

Respectfully, with a relatively small tow vehicle and a relatively large trailer with a lot of tongue weight, payload and weight distribution would be on my list of concerns.
field & stream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 04:25 PM   #34
1 Rivet Member

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Plymouth , Minnesota
field and stream... I will definitely take your advice and have everything looked at by a respected source...

I'm going to change my name from "Jeeplover" to "rightlanebanditgoinslowwithhazardsonsogoaroundmea ndhaveagoodday"... I'm good to go!
Old 11-01-2021, 04:26 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2021 28' International
Knoxville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonRich7878 View Post
--------------

Life is a risky endeavor.

According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration web site, its a mind numbing risk to drive, over 3.5 million people have died on American highways, of which approximately 200,000 were children under 16 years of age.

With all this tragedy, you won't be able to convince me that the little Jeep don't get points for style...

Gibson I'm so sorry you are too afraid to live for fear of dying.
Your assumptions don't square with any facts regarding me or my lifestyle.

They also don't address the issue at hand, other than being a Jeep fanboy.

We're talking about overloading a small vehicle and the resulting danger in doing so, not driving to the grocery, so please stick to the actual discussion.

If style over substance is your priority, I get you point. Every other one missed the mark by a mile.
Gibson3798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 04:48 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
I'll throw in my 2 cents worth. I've never driven one of these vehicles, so this is based on numbers and some guessing about aerodynamics. (I have driven vehicles with the same engine.)

I'm guessing a combined weight of 12,000 to 12,500 lbs - the Jeep at 5500 loaded plus the trailer approaching 7000 lbs. The version with the 3.6 V6 and 8 speed automatic has an adequate towing recommendation. The rear bedroom 25 has considerably less tongue weight than the FB, so with careful hitch setup and loading you can make it work with the payload number. It depends on how many people/how much stuff in the truck. However, the combined GAWRs appear to be well in excess of the GVWR, so there may be plenty of headroom if you choose to use your own judgement.

Highway driving at 65 mph will probably happen in 6th at 2700 rpm. Headwinds will put you in 6th at 3200/60 mph. (This is a guess; the Gladiator is something of a brick.) 3rd will be good for a 6-7% grade, 40 mph at 4000 rpm. 2nd should be good for 12+% grades. 4LO should be good for anything short of climbing trees.

Power is not an issue, as long as you don't mind listening to an engine spin and don't need to be the first to the top of the hill. A supercharger will give more power/torque, but this always comes at the expense of more strain on the driveline. If you're not running wide open throttle most of the time, it's a want, not a need.

In truth towing in the Rockies is not really hard. There are grades - almost never over 8% on highways - that will slow you down, but these are only a small part of the trip. Many highways follow the rivers and the grades are moderate. The second hardest towing I've done is along the Oregon Coast. The second hardest was into a stiff headwind in Montana.

Stability is a question, but the truck has a 137" wheel base and a fairly short rear overhand, so that's in your favour. Hitch setup, and possibly low profile tires (think 20" wheels and tires with the same overall diameter) are things to investigate.

Braking is not a concern as long as the brakes and controller are set up correctly. Downhills are easy and low stress as long as you start slow at the top. Get in line with the truckers and do as they do.

Let us know how it works out!
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 04:51 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolecox View Post
Poster #5, Field & Stream, did the leg work and looked up the numbers for the OP's rig. Apparently, he is not interested in doing it himself nor, is he interested in getting a safe, adequate TV.

He is way over gross. Hazard lights will do little good as he is tumbling down a mountainside. But, he will be "doing the job in style".
Talk about the tail waging the dog.
The 25' AS is a hefty coach.
I wouldn't even think about it.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 05:57 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
Obviously, the OP has tested this combo in towing through the plains states, and is happy with the results. So, more power to him (though not more power through a supercharger - as others suggested, just work with what you have). We took I-90 across to Yellowstone, Badlands, etc and recall it being drama free, except for strong headwinds. Consider that as an alternative to I-80.
Old 11-01-2021, 06:00 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

2021 30RB Classic
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeplover View Post

I'm going to change my name from "Jeeplover" to "rightlanebanditgoinslowwithhazardsonsogoaroundmea ndhaveagoodday"... I'm good to go!
Now that’s funny right there! I don’t care who you are or how much you know about towing capacities.
turonueve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 06:04 PM   #40
3 Rivet Member

Here is another thread on towing with Jeep Gladiators:

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f23...ml#post2551680