Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2006, 06:11 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Decherd , Tennessee
How's this for a tow vehicle?

I'm looking at a 2006 Ford F-150 Lariat with the 5.4 Triton and 3.73 gears. I have a 25' FB Safari SE. The trailer is around 5400 dry. Will this truck be a good tow vehicle? Thanks in advance for any input.

nazz300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 07:10 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

I suppose it depends on the type of transmission and your driving habits. I would not be happy with the 3.73 gears with a manual transmission. If it has an automatic, you will never be able to run in overdrive. If you drive in hilly areas, you'll slow traffic. If you're a speed demon, you'll be frustrated. If you're planning any major travel, you'd be much happier with a more powerful tow vehicle and your mileage won't be much different.
Darol Ingalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 10:18 PM   #3
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
go to fordvehicles.com
brochures
F-150
lower left towing guide.
Decide for yourself.
Personally I would go with a 250. stronger suspension ( stiffer ride) and stronger axle.
I tow a Classic 31 with a F-250 Gas.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 10:48 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
For what it's worth, our Dodge Durango has a 3.55 rear axle, 4 wheel drive, automatic transmission, and a 5.7 liter, 320 hp, 360 foot-lb of torque engine. We have no trouble whatever hauling our 25FB around California. The need for a higher ratio rear axle is obviated by the tow/haul setting on the automatic transmission that adjusts shift points for the extra load. Even so, the engine loafs along at about 1,600 RPM at 55 mph regardless of whether the tow/haul setting is engaged or not. I realize that there are many on this Forum who sincerely believe that only larger, longer, more powerful trucks are necessary, but our evidence belies that presumption. Good luck, good travels.

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion"
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 12:06 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Hello myoung,

Your tow vehical is a good one. Plenty of power to go and to stop .Make sure you have a transmiision oil cooler on that durango to keep the trans alive .A must for any automatic equipped tow vehical period. Now ,the presumption that most want the biggest tow vehical and the longest? I have not gotten that impression .Having enough tow vehical is the key, some want more than enough .your TV is a a good size and your not towing with an under rated or too small a truck .Understand that some want to tow a 25ftr with a 100" wheelbase vehical ,not capable of providing the power or STABILITY it takes to handle such a trailer of that size . So thats really the idea behind a big truck ,totally not necessary as you have found with your setup though.
One other thing,check your owners manual about towing in overdrive .
Always not a good thing for the transmission especially on grades uphill .May be fine on the flats depending on the load your towing.

good luck as well

Scott
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 06:29 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Scott,

I should have also mentioned that we have the full tow package too.

BMW X3 xDrive 28D
Old 06-09-2006, 07:22 AM   #7
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by myoung
The need for a higher ratio rear axle is obviated by the tow/haul setting on the automatic transmission that adjusts shift points for the extra load.
I'm sorry to disagree, but I can't disagree strong enough with this comment. The tow/haul feature is NOT a replacement for gears. Tow/haul mostly changes the shift points, locks the converter and increases line pressures... that does not increase torque as better gears will do, creating less work for the trans and engine. Torque multiplication will NOT happen with tow/haul. Tow/haul will NOT increase tow capacity. Case in point, when you look at specs on websites, do you ever see a tow capacity increase when a vehicle was equipped with tow/haul? No, you see tow ratings increase when better gears are installed (and other things). Tow/haul is a great towing tool, but that's about all it is, a towing tool that will allow you to tow in overdrive, but it's not a hardware replacement by any means.

As for a 1/2 F-150, from the Ford website, it would seem that towing a 25' would be fine. If you load up the Safari to the max 7300lbs and load the truck, you might be on the high end, but doubtful you'd do both, so yes, with a 120+" wheelbase (the shortest F-150 I could find) and 3.73s and 5.4L, I would give it a thumbs up. I wouldn't go less than than what you are suggesting. If you plan on upgrading to a larger Airstream in the future, you might want to think 3/4 ton, but if yer gonna stay where you are, then I think you should be fine.

With that, I'm off to the midwest rally with my 3/4 Suburban (130" wheelbase) and 25' Safari, and now return you to your regularly scheduled program...........
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 07:45 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
nazz300,

I have almost exactly the combination that you are considering (2003 Safari 25 with 05 Ford F150 SuperCrew w/5.4 L engine and 3.73 gears). It tows excellent! Power, stability, and braking are great. Also, the ride is very comfortable and quiet.

Suggestions when buying the truck:

- The backup sensor is a nice gimmick. Helpful in judging distance when hitching up.
- The adjustable pedals are a cheap option, and handy if you have different size drivers.
- The Lariat package lowers your towing capacity by 500 lbs due to the larger 18" wheels. Not a big factor.
- I added an aftermarket transmission temperature gauge. It seems that most automatic transmission failures are related to overheating. The gauge allows you to know what's going on.

I'm sure you will be very happy with this combination. The only reason I can think of to move up to an F250+ is if you think that you might move up to a bigger/heavier trailer in the next few years. An F250 has very stiff springs that will pound both you and the trailer. The F150 is the perfect match for your Safari.
Old 06-09-2006, 07:46 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Mobile , Alabama
Send a message via AIM to joyegail Send a message via MSN to joyegail Send a message via Yahoo to joyegail
Tow vehicle

I guess I should ask if my Ford F-150 is good enough for towing a 1968 Safari. I used it to tow it home when I bought it, but that wasn't a long distance, and I didn't have lights or brakes hooked up, so I was going slow.

Deb
joyegail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 07:47 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Silvertwinkie,

Sorry that you read so many unintended impressions in notes that say nothing of the kind. I never said that the tow/haul feature replaces gears, but rather that the higher ratio is unnecessary for towing a 25FB in my experience. Experience counts for something. Empirical evidence counts for something. Sure we can't try all the alternatives, but when we have one that works well, it may be of some interest to those searching for advice.

By the way, a glance at the torque curve of any internal combustion engine will show that increasing engine speed increases torque up to a point after which it drops off a bit. The tow/haul feature changes shift points causing the engine to run at higher rpms at lower speeds thereby moving up the torque curve as demanded by the load. It works well for us. Higher engine rpms won't harm modern engines in typical use. I've never had reason to run the Dodge at anything near the redline. In fact, I don't think we have even crossed the 3,000 rpm line ever. I have other vehicles that routinely run for hours at far higher rpms with no perceptable damage. Enough said.

BMW X3 xDrive 28D
Old 06-09-2006, 08:25 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
Deb, you'll have no problem at all, with either V8 option, and I suspect whatever V6 option would be available. Our era of Safaris are 2000lbs lighter than the current 25' Safaris. I have an Expedition with the 5.0L and it tows like it's not even there. Get a WD hitch and a brake controller and you should be just fine. I don't think you even need added sway control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyegail
I guess I should ask if my Ford F-150 is good enough for towing a 1968 Safari. I used it to tow it home when I bought it, but that wasn't a long distance, and I didn't have lights or brakes hooked up, so I was going slow.

Deb

Visit my Camping Blog!
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 08:36 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Decherd , Tennessee
The truck I'm looking at is a 2006 Lariat used with only 3500 miles. It is the Super Crew loaded with options like back-up sensors, tow package, adjustable pedals, leather etc. for comfort around town even when not towing. Thanks for all the input.

nazz300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 09:27 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
oooooh....

Sounds like a cool truck.

Paula FORD
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 09:54 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Danger, Will Robinson...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazz300
I'm looking at a 2006 Ford F-150 Lariat with the 5.4 Triton and 3.73 gears. I have a 25' FB Safari SE. The trailer is around 5400 dry. Will this truck be a good tow vehicle? Thanks in advance for any input.
The vehicle you describe will be marginal at best for the Airstream you describe. If you are going to buy a new tow vehicle, buy one that is more than adequate, not less. There is a ton of good advice elsewhere in these forums. By no thoughtful assessment is a 5.4 Ford F-150 Lariat with 3.73 an adequate tow vehicle for a 25' Airstream.

Signed// One who has owned them all
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 10:29 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Mobile , Alabama
Send a message via AIM to joyegail Send a message via MSN to joyegail Send a message via Yahoo to joyegail
One other question about towing the 1968 Safari. Once I get it restored, I might occasionally let my daughter and son in law and grandkids borrow it. They have a 1992 Ford Explorer, 6 cylinder. Do you think it would tow it ok? They were worried about that, and I can't let them use my truck because of insurance issues.

Deb
joyegail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 11:32 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
>>a 2006 Ford F-150 Lariat with the 5.4 Triton and 3.73 gears.
>> I have a 25' FB Safari SE. The trailer is around 5400 dry

I wouldn't say it's the ideal tow rig but it's better than marginal. Flat highway, no cross winds, low/moderate speeds no problem at all. The truck is adaquately powered/geared. I'm guessing GVWR for your trailer is upwards of 7,000 pounds which is well under the rated capacity of 9,900#. Where you're not going to be as happy is long iwindy downhills, passing semi's, etc. There is such a huge difference between a 1/2 ton and a 3/4 ton truck when it comes to towing. The ride of 3/4 trucks has improved signifcantly. We had a late 80's F-250 and without a load that thing rattled your teeth out. Still, if towing was a minor part of the trucks duties I'd probably go for the F-150. The new rigs really are improved over what was out there 10-20 years ago.

>> towing the 1968 Safari. Once I get it restored, .. daughter and son in law .. have a 1992 Ford Explorer, 6 cylinder. Do you think it would tow it ok? <<

Deb, that's not a great choice for a tow rig of a trailer the length of yours. For starters it's got a small, sub 4L engine that only makes 180ft.lbs or torque. If it's a manual transmission you'll tear out the drive train. You didn't mention if its a 2dr or 4 door Explorer but even the 4dr has only 111" wheel base which is recommended for trailer more in the 21 foot range. If they are going to do it then everything needs to be really right; weight distributing hitch, correct ball height, sway controls, heavy duty shocks on the SUV and perfectly working trailer brakes. Even then keep the speed down to 55-60 under ideal conditions and adjust accordingly.
bhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 11:46 AM   #17
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Deb, I have a 1997 F150 with a V6 and 5 speed manual transmission. We towed the trailer home 200 miles with this truck when we bought it. I DO NOT recommend the V6/manual tranny combination for hauling the longer trialers. We didn't really get over 55 MPH with this truck all the way home. Let's just say iIt was a real adventure. Since we brought the Overlander home, we have purchased a 1998 F150 Lariat, V8, auto tranny, tow package (really nice truck). But haven't towed with it yet because we are still restoring the camper.

Your camper's dry weight is about 1000 pounds less that mine and 5 feet shorter. You should be OK with the F150 provided you have a V8 engine and auto tranny. But it also depends on other things like the age of the truck and what it has been used for in the past (i.e. has it always been well maintained, what type of tires, and so on.)

I would NOT attempt to tow the trailer with the 1992 Explorer. That "early SUV", if you will, was designed around the Ford Ranger. That means that they were much smaller in those days than they are now. I used to own a '91 Ranger and it would not have been nearly up to the task.

My 2 cents.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 12:11 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
Here we go. This statement you give no basis for. The towing capability for that class is approximately 8000lbs. Some may not like the wheel base of that vehicle, but I have yet to see anyone offer up evidence as to why a F-150 is not adequate to tow a dry weight 5500#, 25 trailer. What is the fact that is not being said that shows why this vehicle is inadequate?

Let's review:
Weight = adequate, as the 5.4L will tow max of 7700#
Wheelbase= (guess, don't know exact config, gotten from Ford.com) = >126 inches = adequate according to here, that even by the conservative table, can tow safely 21ft, or the back axle no farther back than 23ft.

So what's the issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by klevan
The vehicle you describe will be marginal at best for the Airstream you describe. If you are going to buy a new tow vehicle, buy one that is more than adequate, not less. There is a ton of good advice elsewhere in these forums. By no thoughtful assessment is a 5.4 Ford F-150 Lariat with 3.73 an adequate tow vehicle for a 25' Airstream.

Signed// One who has owned them all

Visit my Camping Blog!
Old 06-09-2006, 12:34 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by AYRSTRM2
Here we go. This statement you give no basis for. The towing capability for that class is approximately 8000lbs. Some may not like the wheel base of that vehicle, but I have yet to see anyone offer up evidence as to why a F-150 is not adequate to tow a dry weight 5500#, 25 trailer. What is the fact that is not being said that shows why this vehicle is inadequate?

Let's review:
Weight = adequate, as the 5.4L will tow max of 7700#
Wheelbase= (guess, don't know exact config, gotten from Ford.com) = >126 inches = adequate according to here, that even by the conservative table, can tow safely 21ft, or the back axle no farther back than 23ft.

So what's the issue?
Here's Issue #1: The "Dry Weight" on an Airstream unlike the dry weight on SOBs does not include "Optional Equipment Variable Weights" which in some Airstreams includes the air conditioner, the steps, the BAL Jacks, the converter, the beds, the LP tanks, the spare tire, and the empty holding tanks. Add these and you get a "dry weight" that can be compared to the dry weights of other travel trailers. Then add the weight of fresh water, gray water, black water, and propane, and you begin to approach the weight of a travel configured Airstream. Now add the weight of passengers and gear to the 5.4 L Ford and you have a " marginal" situation.

Issue #2: Marginal means different things to different people. To me it means being forced to travel 55 to 60 mph and slow down to 40 or 45 on the mountain passes. This may be just fine for others.

Issue #3: When someone is buying a brand new tow vehicle, I always recommend that they buy one with power to spare. It is different if someone already owns a vehicle and they just want to get a few more years out of it until they upgrade. Finally, if I understood the post correctly, the new 25' Airstreams that this person is looking at are heavier than those of the 60s, for which an F-150 would be more adequate.

Issue #4: The Past President of our unit owned the pick-up in question and he was disappointed in its ability to tow his 25' Airstream.

Over the years, I have owned several "barely adequate" tow vehicles, usually because someone was telling what they thought I wanted to hear, not what I needed to hear. In one case they thought the tow vehicle would really "look nice" pulling an Airstream. Believe me nothing looks nice when you are creeping over Wolf Creek Pass, Colorado in the breakdown lane.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 01:12 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
Ken, thanks for the reply. I understand your reasons now. I don't agree with it all, but I understand them. In fact I have no issue with any of them, except for my usual "why do you want to go over 60 mph towing a camper" rant. I am haunted by the words of one forum member stating that the only time he has ever blown tires was when going over 65 MPH. And with that, I end my post.

Visit my Camping Blog!