Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-28-2008, 02:36 PM   #21
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Billtex, I beg to differ....our '01 25' weighs 6000 pounds +.-, and our 1/2 ton GMC pickup is factory rated to tow 7800 pounds.

In my opinion, and GMC's opinion, that is not "on the hairy edge".
And Ford says their F150 can tow up to 10,000 pounds, so GMC is not alone in their 1/2 ton estimations.
Old 10-28-2008, 02:39 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
And Ford says their F150 can tow up to 10,000 pounds, so GMC is not alone in their 1/2 ton estimations.
Yes, and as I remember, the Toyota 1/2 ton is rated at 10,000 also. So my question to Billtex is again, how would a 25' be "on the hairy edge"?
Old 10-28-2008, 05:29 PM   #23
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Billtex, I beg to differ....our '01 25' weighs 6000 pounds +.-, and our 1/2 ton GMC pickup is factory rated to tow 7800 pounds.

In my opinion, and GMC's opinion, that is not "on the hairy edge".
The 85% rule would barely leave room for You-Your Spouse-lunch (never mind gas, firewood, bikes. etc. etc.)

The OP asked for "the best TV" fo a 25'...best is somewhat subjective of course. One of my top criteria for best would be saftey, followed by comfort level towing a heavy load.
The new 25' Safari are much lighter than Classics/Excellas and could get by with a 1/2 ton if not straying far from home.The Internationla is much heavier IIRC.
Perhaps some of you might review my old post; http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...ice-28886.html
We all need to learn by our own experience. That post details mine.
Until you have been there, you just don't know how limited a 1/2 ton vehicle is.When you get over 6000# or so, it is time to step up.
I am not aware of anyone that regrets moving up to a 3/4 ton.

Good luck, and safe travels,
Bill
Old 10-28-2008, 06:25 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Bill,

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I've pulled simular weight trailers over most of these United States, parts of Canada, and most of Alaska with a 1/2 ton. And, in years past, (been towing travel trailers of one sort or another since 1971) it was with a truck with the old 350 engines having 200 or so horse power. The new GM 5.3 liter engine has 315 HP. Never have had a problem.

Would a 3/4 ton Diesel have been better?? Yes, but they also cost a lot more money. By the time you upgrade to a 3/4 ton and add the Diesel engine, you have added about $10,000 to the price of a new truck. Heck, a Kenworth would have been the dog's dangleys, but where do you draw the line?

I take the manufacturer's engineers at their word, and have never had a problem. By the way, the GM ratings are the most conservative of the bunch.

Good luck and have fun.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:40 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' International CCD
Freehold , New Jersey
Hey Everyone:

I tow a 2006 25Int. CCD with my Nissan Titan (rated to tow 9300lbs). My trailer loaded is under 7000 lbs. Towed 1500 miles this summer and everything was great. I LOVE the truck (however, worst milage of any 1/2 ton). Smooth, lots of power, pulled the trailer great.

BUT -- if I had to do it all over again I would opt for a 3/4 ton ONLY because me, the wife, my daughter, bikes, Coleman grill, inflatable kayak, cooler andd a few other odds and ends pushes my cargo capacity to the top or just over. Now I didn't notice any problems (rear end wasn't low-no handling issues etc) but if I like the 80% rule with towing weight it would seem to reason that I would like it for the cargo weights (but I didn't do my homework).

Go for the 3/4.
DrPlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 10:23 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Here's the deal.

Hi, here's the deal; A half ton will, in most cases, handle a 25'er just fine. But after reading all 25 posts, the rules may have changed. It seems to me that for those of you that just can't leave home without takeing it with you [your home] obviously need a larger truck. In city talk, it's called taking everything includeing the kitchen sink; And in country talk, it's called bringing the whole farm. That was one of my considerations on my set-up, if it won't fit in my trailer's storage areas or in the back of my Lincoln, where I removed the third row seat, then it doesn't go and I don't need it. Isn't camping or traveling about going places without all the clutter and junk that we all have at our homes?
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 06:09 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Robert:

I agree with you about bringing the farm. My wife and I always reinforce to each other that we are camping. Everything we bring is mostly essentials. All of our kitchen dishes are plastic. We wash the plastic and keep it (green friendly). We do not throw them away. The only thing I bring that I do not need is The ez-up tent, fold up chairs, telescope, TV. I feel after changing out the old water heater, water pump, and converter we dropped some wait.

The only time I feel worried about weight is when I bring my horticulture tools to work on our property.

Lothlorian
Old 10-29-2008, 06:17 AM   #28
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Many of us like to get away for the activities we pursue; kayaking, fishing, mt biking, etc. This requires us to bring along a certain amount of gear. It is not unusual for us to take 2 kayaks, 3 mt bikes, a porta-bote, and 8 hp motor along for a weeks outing Add to this 50 gals fresh water (400#), 40# propane and it gets heavy real fast. (We usually camp in the wilderness, without hookups so need the water and propane.) Some Folks go sit in a trailer park with full hookups and drink cocktails all weekend (only “gear” required is a blender and ice). That is not us. If the PO is traveling lightly, staying close to home, and towing a Safari (much lighter than other models) he (she) would probably be fine. But why play it so close if you are shopping for a new TV? The problem with ½ tons (as just mentioned by DrPlay) is payload, not tow capacity. Yes you may be able to tow 10,000# with a ½ ton (yikes!) but you would not have the payload to support the tongue weight, never mind passenger weights, fuel, and anything in the bed (cabin).
Have Folks done it? Oh, yes…
Is this the “best choice” for a 25’ as inquired by the PO? No way…
As another member here likes to respond to these questions “inappropriate tow vehicles are the leading cause of very expensive yard art.”
A white knuckle towing experience, will keep you close to home…

Bill
Old 10-29-2008, 06:34 AM   #29
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Bill,

We have a member in our unit that pulls his 34 footer with a Toyota 1/2 ton crew cab pickup, and says "it pulls it fine with no problems....it has a 10,000 pound towing capacity".

And so it does, as he shows up at every rally just like everyone using 3/4 and 1 ton trucks.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:52 AM   #30
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Sounds like the Ant's are back in the Hill, great!

Be happy we still have choices.

Do what your comfortable with, do it safely.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:24 AM   #31

2006 34' Classic Slideout
San Clemente , California
As far as a truck goes; you will be fine with a 1/2 ton or a 3/4 ton for a 25' Airstream. Don't let anyone talk you into anything bigger. All you will need is 3.73 gears for that weight.

As far was what truck you want; it depends on what you are looking for.

1/2 TON: I am not 100% sure what I would use if i would get a 1/2 ton. But I can tell you that my 2004 F150 5.4L FX4 3.73s towed my 2005 25' CCD with no issues at all. So I would probably get another one of those.

3/4 TON: If you want a gas engine, no question about it get an F250 with a V10. If you want a diesel, go with the truck that you enjoy the most. All have their advantages and disadvantages. Just remember, a diesel is worth it if you actually work your truck alot. If you are only going to tow a few times a year and that is the only thing you use the truck for, it may not be worth the cost. I am a huge diesel fan myself and currently full-time in my 2006 34' SO Limited and tow it with ease with my 2006 F250 6.0L FX4 3.73s.

Most people think that it is the power of an engine that makes it a safe TV. The fact is, stopping power should be what is the ultimate factor in a TV. Bottom line is just about any 1/2 ton truck will handle a 25' Airstream trailer. A 1/2 ton is just not as durable as a 3/4 ton is all. GL in whatever you decide.
sbrou14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 07:32 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
Contemplate your tongue weight. A properly set up trailer (safe) will have 10- 12 percent of the total trailer weight as tongue weight.A 6000# trailer safely set up will have 600#-720# tongue weight. Weigh your trailer and tongue!Then you can do the calculations you need to do.An inproperly balanced trailer will cause safety issues that the biggest truck & fancy hitch cannot overcome. And in regards to the tow vehicle,an early model F series 7.3 DIT Diesel is the best. Oh wait, I am a Ford diesel mechanic and that was the truck I happened to own when I got my Airstream. Mine has 265,000 miles on it and runs like the proverbiale watch! Good luck and go camping,A lot !
Diesel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 08:45 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
[QUOTE=BillTex;The problem with ½ tons (as just mentioned by DrPlay) is payload, not tow capacity. Yes you may be able to tow 10,000# with a ½ ton (yikes!) [/QUOTE]

As I have Stated many times this is an opinion not fact... Have you towed your rig with a Titan, Tundra or F150 to see how it handles????

The OP may not even want a Truck we don't know as he/she has not posted again...

We have a member in our unit that pulls his 34 footer with a Toyota 1/2 ton crew cab pickup, and says "it pulls it fine with no problems....it has a 10,000 pound towing capacity".

And so it does, as he shows up at every rally just like everyone using 3/4 and 1 ton trucks.
_____ Quote SteveH

I have towed my trailer with a 2006 dodge 3/4 ton and my Sequoia,, It towes much better with the Sequoia... Smoother for sure....

I have also towed a 2004 28' Safari with no trouble...

It's what your use too.... I would just say, stay within the tow load ratings... And If your doing long trips, 80% of the load is good place to start.

My Sequoia has a larger tow rating than the newer 3/4 ton burbs... Whats up with that????

Lets not burn the ants here... IF you are not comfortable with a 1/2 ton thats fine...

But there are a lot, a lot of people towing with them, and they are not having any problems or creating lawn ornaments as has been suggested....

Most accedintes are not caused by the tow vichle but by driving to fast>>>>> Or when passing semi Trucks...

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 09:44 AM   #34
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Most accedintes are not caused by the tow vichle but by driving to fast>>>>> Or when passing semi Trucks...
Yep, the First Thing needed for a safe equasion is a competent, safe driver. Without a safe driver, no matter the tow vehicle, you've got an accident just waiting for a place to happen.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:14 AM   #35

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
My experience pulling a 2005 25FB with a half ton is not opinion; it is fact. Until recently I pulled Lucy with a 1/2 ton 2004 Chevrolet Tahoe (5.3 liter), and a 3/4 ton 2005 Suburban (6.0 liter). I had these two TVs at the same time, and tried towing with them alternately. The Tahoe could tow Lucy just fine as long as there were no severe upgrades. When these situations were encountered with the Tahoe, she strained considerably to get Lucy up the hil at 70 mph. The Suburban had no trouble at all doing this.

The part that concerned me more was the braking. The Tahoe did not have the brakes of the Suburban, and this was very noticeable in hard stop situations. Also the Tahoe had rear coil suspension which felt a little mushy as compared to the rear leaf springs of the Suburban. Most half tons (including Tahoes) come from the factory with load range C tires which don't cut it when you want to tow 7000# + for a long distance at high speed.

My somewhat extensive experience with 1/2 vs. 3/4 ton TVs during the same periods with the same Airstream has led me to the following conclusion:

A 1/2 ton TV is probably sufficient for the casual Airstream camper who pulls his trailer 80 miles to the lake or RV resort and back home, and does this six or eight times a year, maybe makes one 500 mile trip per year.

If you pull your Airstream 20,000 miles a year with 5,000 and 8,000 mile single trips, carry a tandem kayak with all its gear, two generators, extra gasoline, a complete set of tools, clothes and provisions for six weeks away from home, and several hundred pounds of business equipment, a 3/4 ton is what I want to be driving.

In other words, it depends on your style of Airstreaming as to whether a 1/2 or 3/4 ton TV is the right one for you.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 11:08 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
My experience pulling a 2005 25FB with a half ton is not opinion; it is fact. Until recently I pulled Lucy with a 1/2 ton 2004 Chevrolet Tahoe (5.3 liter), and a 3/4 ton 2005 Suburban (6.0 liter). I had these two TVs at the same time, and tried towing with them alternately. The Tahoe could tow Lucy just fine as long as there were no severe upgrades. When these situations were encountered with the Tahoe, she strained considerably to get Lucy up the hil at 70 mph. The Suburban had no trouble at all doing this.

The part that concerned me more was the braking. The Tahoe did not have the brakes of the Suburban, and this was very noticeable in hard stop situations. Also the Tahoe had rear coil suspension which felt a little mushy as compared to the rear leaf springs of the Suburban. Most half tons (including Tahoes) come from the factory with load range C tires which don't cut it when you want to tow 7000# + for a long distance at high speed.

My somewhat extensive experience with 1/2 vs. 3/4 ton TVs during the same periods with the same Airstream has led me to the following conclusion:

A 1/2 ton TV is probably sufficient for the casual Airstream camper who pulls his trailer 80 miles to the lake or RV resort and back home, and does this six or eight times a year, maybe makes one 500 mile trip per year.

If you pull your Airstream 20,000 miles a year with 5,000 and 8,000 mile single trips, carry a tandem kayak with all its gear, two generators, extra gasoline, a complete set of tools, clothes and provisions for six weeks away from home, and several hundred pounds of business equipment, a 3/4 ton is what I want to be driving.

In other words, it depends on your style of Airstreaming as to whether a 1/2 or 3/4 ton TV is the right one for you.

Brian
I would agree with everything you have said here.... IT makes a lot of sense...

Bottom line your Tahoe wouldn't carry all that weight... So you need a 3/4 ton...
Tundra is rated for what? 10800 lbs, my Sequiao 9600lbs I wouldn't want more than 8000 lbs on a long trip... for sure...

Wish the PO would post what he was looking for we could maybe help him/her out more..
Or maybe it was just someone kicking the ant hill and burning it

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 11:09 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
holland , Pennsylvania
make sure what ever truck you choose that it has heavy duty cooling.also make sure it has additional cooling capacity for the tranny.i have towed with half ton trucks with towing packages that would overheat on warm summer days.these trucks were gas v8 engines.the newer trucks are equipped with tow/haul transmissions that even have extra fluid pumping capacity when you are in the tow/haul mode.if a truck is not properly equipped they dont tend to have much longevity.i had a expedition that i towed a 26 ft sob with.it seemed when i would get to my destination that the trucks tongue was hanging out.also most hills in pa,the accelerator felt like i was putting my foot down in a bucket of water.every hill i watched the temp gauge go up.traded that truck on a diesel excursion,have a bigger and heavier airstream and now i feel like the truck is towing the trailer.remember it helps to have a tow vehicle with some weight when you are towing a travel trailer.that is generally why the 3/4 tons are a more stable tow.
xonvldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 04:23 AM   #38
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Morristown , Tennessee
All vary goood advice above. I towed a 1971 25' land yacht for many miles and used a Ford E150 conversion van with the standard 351. This was often in the summer with the air conditioner running. I did install an extra transmission cooler and had the towing package that came with the truck.

Just a couple things seemed to make the difference. Making sure that it kept cool was easy as long as I turned the air off for 3-5 minutes before slowing from highway speeds, kept the brakes in good shape - hard stopswere a little harrowing. The biggest point is that stability seemed related to wheelbase of the tow vehicle rather than the power or braking ability. The van pulled great in that sense. I now pull a 31' e
Excello with a GMC Denali PU and the package is better in every way. It is stable with plenty of power (345 hp), towing package and transmission and plenty of braking.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:00 AM   #39
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumin8 View Post
All vary goood advice above. I towed a 1971 25' land yacht for many miles and used a Ford E150 conversion van with the standard 351. This was often in the summer with the air conditioner running. I did install an extra transmission cooler and had the towing package that came with the truck.

Just a couple things seemed to make the difference. Making sure that it kept cool was easy as long as I turned the air off for 3-5 minutes before slowing from highway speeds, kept the brakes in good shape - hard stopswere a little harrowing. The biggest point is that stability seemed related to wheelbase of the tow vehicle rather than the power or braking ability. The van pulled great in that sense. I now pull a 31' e
Excello with a GMC Denali PU and the package is better in every way. It is stable with plenty of power (345 hp), towing package and transmission and plenty of braking.
JOE! You mean to tell us you are pulling a 31' Airstream with a 1/2 ton truck???? How can that POSSIBLY BE????
Old 10-30-2008, 08:05 AM   #40
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Just an FYI, the person that started this thread hasn't been back since they made their first and only post. Do you think we scared him away?