Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2021, 12:00 AM   #1
Cat sailor

2017 16' Sport
Sequim , Washington
Honda Odyssey tow vehicle

I just towed my Bambi Sport 3500 miles with my 2014 Honda Odyssey.
I have had several travel trailers in my life from tent trailers to 34’ 5th wheels.
Semi retired now and we bought a 2017 Bambi sport. We bought it because well it’s cute and easy to move around. We just got back from 3500 mile round trip from Washington State down the west coast , over to Phoenix and back. Never thought I would own a mini van again after kids but when it comes down to traveling we remembered our mini vans were the most comfortable for traveling.
For us it was the best of all worlds. First it’s a great daily driver, has plenty of power, long wheel base and lots of room. I tried to research pulling with a mini van but I couldn’t find anyone doing it. If you are looking at tow vehicles for smaller travel trailers you should consider the mini van.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2C0D6291-2CCB-499F-9B13-6160DC651A58.jpeg
Views:	56
Size:	187.1 KB
ID:	397042   Click image for larger version

Name:	2F71F273-BC64-4E2A-B8A3-BA539F1E75EE.jpeg
Views:	62
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	397043  

Moe_Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 12:14 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Question

Welcome to the forum.

Is that tow vehicle rated by Honda to pull that much trailer, with its specific gross weight and tongue weight?

If not, did you consider your possible legal liability, in the event of an accident, not to mention the risk of personal injury or death to yourself, your family, or to other motorists?

Even a broken clock is correct twice a day . . .

"Hey, look at my cool old clock, it is showing the right time!"

IMO
FWIW
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 10:27 AM   #3
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe_Wave View Post
I just towed my Bambi Sport 3500 miles with my 2014 Honda Odyssey.
I have had several travel trailers in my life from tent trailers to 34’ 5th wheels.
Semi retired now and we bought a 2017 Bambi sport. We bought it because well it’s cute and easy to move around. We just got back from 3500 mile round trip from Washington State down the west coast , over to Phoenix and back. Never thought I would own a mini van again after kids but when it comes down to traveling we remembered our mini vans were the most comfortable for traveling.
For us it was the best of all worlds. First it’s a great daily driver, has plenty of power, long wheel base and lots of room. I tried to research pulling with a mini van but I couldn’t find anyone doing it. If you are looking at tow vehicles for smaller travel trailers you should consider the mini van.
Welcome to the forum. Enjoy your combination. Look up CanAm RV for lots of info on towing with minivans. And ignore the haters.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 10:34 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
. . .
. . . ignore the haters.
What in Post #2 justifies the label "haters" in your opinion? Pretty reasonable questions, for a rig that is likely not up to snuff IMO. [and this is being kind IMO]

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Welcome to the forum.

Is that tow vehicle rated by Honda to pull that much trailer, with its specific gross weight and tongue weight?

If not, did you consider your possible legal liability, in the event of an accident, not to mention the risk of personal injury or death to yourself, your family, or to other motorists?

Even a broken clock is correct twice a day . . .

"Hey, look at my cool old clock, it is showing the right time!"

IMO
FWIW
Looking forward to how you would answer those questions too BTW.

Thanks,

Peter
Old 06-08-2021, 10:42 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
PS -- Does your recent post still apply?

Quote:
The bare minimum setup (for all but the smallest Airstreams) should be a WD hitch, properly set up, with 100% FALR. Payload managed within axle and tire weight ratings. Speeds and following distances managed by the operator.

Not essential, but advised: Four wheel independent suspension on the TV. Low centre of gravity for the TV. Short rear overhang for the TV. Four wheel disk brakes on the TV. Trailer disk brakes. Possibly trailer stability control, independent of the tow vehicle stability control system.

The badges on the equipment have little to no effect on safety. Focusing on them is working against safe operation, and distracting users from what is important. If they are too high, in fact they can be a detriment to safe operation because they can lead the operator to ignore the first paragraph.
Old 06-08-2021, 10:46 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Dalton , Ohio
Welcome to the forum! I think what you’re doing is great. If you want an interesting read check out my thread called “Acura MDX Towing” under the towing and tow vehicles category. Andy Thompson and Can-Am are very knowledgeable and helpful and our vehicles share the same platform.

Steve
SteveNdebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 01:58 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Steve’s thread: https://www.airforums.com/forums/f46...ng-184081.html
Old 06-08-2021, 07:24 PM   #8
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
What in Post #2 justifies the label "haters" in your opinion? Pretty reasonable questions, for a rig that is likely not up to snuff IMO. [and this is being kind IMO]

Looking forward to how you would answer those questions too BTW.

Thanks,

Peter
The myopic focus on tow rating. The suggestion that disaster awaits. The reference to lawyers. The broken clock comment. Not a way to welcome a new member, IMO.

What matters? Combination setup. Using WD for all but the smallest and lightest Airstreams. FALR. Operating parameters, eg speed and following distance. Axle ratings and tire ratings compared to measured actual weights.

Not tow ratings.
Old 06-08-2021, 07:26 PM   #9
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
PS -- Does your recent post still apply?
Why wouldn’t it?
Old 06-08-2021, 08:35 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Dalton , Ohio
Quote:

Peter,
Thanks for providing a link to my thread. I appreciate your technical support on posting. BTW, I saw that the June Photo Contest was started but people may not realize it since May didn’t have a link placed at the end.

Steve
SteveNdebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 01:30 AM   #11
Cat sailor

2017 16' Sport
Sequim , Washington
The Honda Odyssey is rated to pull 3500 lbs. I use a anti sway hitch. Tow package includes trans cooler. The size of the breaks on the van look big the tires are 16”.
I will dig a little deeper.
Thanks
Old 06-09-2021, 01:38 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks OP for the update, and for the other recent comments.

Happy Trails.
Old 06-09-2021, 01:40 AM   #13
Cat sailor

2017 16' Sport
Sequim , Washington
I’ll check it out.
Thanks
Old 06-09-2021, 09:22 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
Sweet setup! Sounds like an epic trip!

We met a family towing a 34’ with a Toyota Sienna,
Their mini van has more horsepower and better brakes than my v8 tundra :0. Vans are great.
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 10:08 AM   #15
Retired Navy Veteran

1964 26' Overlander
Warner Robins , Georgia
Pulling a 34' with a mini-van??

Aldean Fan - Hope you are praying for safety for the folks towing that 34' with a Sienna and everyone driving near them? We own a 34' and were shocked with your observation.

Our hope is that these folks with the 34' are aware that no one else in this universe is towing that long of a trailer with a mini-van? Perhaps the dealer told them it was a good idea?
superChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 10:19 AM   #16
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
There was a long time poster named andreasduess who successfully used an Odyssey with a modified hitch to tow a 34 tri axle for years. It was an earlier model 34.

The reports on the Odyssey as a tow vehicle have been very good over the years. 1400 or 1500 lbs load capacity. Designed to use a WD hitch (required by Honda for trailers over 1800 lbs or so). Very short rear overhang. Big brakes. Lots of room.

When the following was posted nine years ago, CanAm had set up hundreds of Odyssey combinations. Not sure how many it is now.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f23...ml#post1218181

A friend used a Ram 1500 to pull an AS27. The Odyssey has more HP, better brakes, has a lower CoG and is thus more stable, has less rear overhang, has 50% more payload than the RAM had, etc, etc. Downside is hearing the regular claims of “You can’t tow with that!”

Misinformation and fear mongering about using other than large trucks for towing Airstreams have been going on for years. The OP is using an Odyssey to pull a Bambi. The focus IMO should be on load management, hitch setup, and operating the combination, not the moniker “minivan”
Old 06-09-2021, 10:23 AM   #17
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by superChop View Post
Aldean Fan - Hope you are praying for safety for the folks towing that 34' with a Sienna and everyone driving near them? We own a 34' and were shocked with your observation.

Our hope is that these folks with the 34' are aware that no one else in this universe is towing that long of a trailer with a mini-van? Perhaps the dealer told them it was a good idea?
I think it is more likely that the dealer strengthened the hitch receiver, carefully set up the combination, tested it, and ensured that the owner knew how to do the same.

Lots of examples out there of towing larger trailers with properly set up Siennas and Odysseys.
Old 06-09-2021, 10:41 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
Quote:
I think it is more likely that the dealer strengthened the hitch receiver, carefully set up the combination, tested it, and ensured that the owner knew how to do the same.

Lots of examples out there of towing larger trailers with properly set up Siennas and Odysseys.
Correct! This airstreamer had spent the time and money to have their van set up to tow their trailer and reported that it was a very stable and reliable combination.

I am much more concerned about the people on the road who think they are invincible and don’t need to worry about weight balance and hitch set up because they have a “big” truck.
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 11:56 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2022 28' Flying Cloud
GAINESVILLE , GA
I used to have a Dodge Caravan with a 3500 lb. towing capacity. I towed a VW Rabbit race car on a tow dolly with tools and all the spares needed for a weekend at the track. I competed in SCCA Regional events. Other racers laughed at me until I started winning. After two (2) championship seasons they stopped.
If you are within your tow weight capacity and everything is put together correctly, more power to you.
Enjoy and have the last laugh!
Spaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 01:59 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2023 27' International
Waynesville , Missouri
Don’t Freak Folks

Don’t freak folks. I have a 2019 22’ Sport (Bambi) that I pull with a Honda Pilot. The Odyssey, Pilot, and Ridgeline all have the same towing specs surprisingly. His picture appears to be the 16’ Sport, which is much lighter than my 22’. For added safety on my end I did opt for the all-wheel Pilot and had them throw in a transmission cooler. It pulls my Sport like it’s not even there. Relax, breath, he’s OK.
DAVSCH is offline   Reply With Quote