Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2008, 11:03 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
HID headlights anyone?

considering an upgrade kit for my suburban... anybody have any experience with halogen vs. HID? the snapshots comparing the illumination spread/distance is, pardon the pun, night and day...
boondockdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 11:10 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
HID is much brighter, it would be a worthwhile upgrade, especially as we all lose our night vision as we age.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:25 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
Came with our 06 Nissan Maxima, and the difference is huge. They have a different name and burn a pure white. Why on a totally loaded 08 f150 lariat they are not standard is beyond me. Really appreciate them on dark rainy nights.
safari 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 06:36 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Just put a set of HID conversions on the motorcycle (which has great headlights anyway) and WOW!!!!!!!!!!! What a difference!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm totally sold and will be converting the Sprinter in the next couple of weeks. Probably one of the best upgrades you can do.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 09:27 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
yup, they're bright. they're great for the driver, not so great for oncoming drivers. in populated areas, i feel they are too bright and blind oncoming vehicles. the hid truck vs. a car is the worst situation.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 06:04 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by richinny
yup, they're bright. they're great for the driver, not so great for oncoming drivers. in populated areas, i feel they are too bright and blind oncoming vehicles. the hid truck vs. a car is the worst situation.
even with proper alignment?
thats my only concern at this point... driving on narrow two lane highway... blinding oncoming drivers... could be very bad
Old 04-01-2008, 06:07 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
I get blinded more by inconsiderate morons driving with their high beams on rather than oncoming HIDs.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:17 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
I get blinded more by inconsiderate morons driving with their high beams on rather than oncoming HIDs.
this is true...
Old 04-01-2008, 06:45 AM   #9
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
If you're planning on doing a lot of night towing, you can always aim the lights slightly lower than normal, this will offset the slight rise in aim when towing (slight rear end squat= front end rise).
Old 04-01-2008, 07:00 AM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
If you're planning on doing a lot of night towing, you can always aim the lights slightly lower than normal, this will offset the slight rise in aim when towing (slight rear end squat= front end rise).
Strangely enough, my Sprinter HAS this feature on the dash....... a dip switch to lower the headlights when you're towing or carrying a heavy load that compresses the rear suspension.

I guess the Euros are a much more considerate bunch than we are while on the road!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-01-2008, 07:30 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
Strangely enough, my Sprinter HAS this feature on the dash....... a dip switch to lower the headlights when you're towing or carrying a heavy load that compresses the rear suspension.

I guess the Euros are a much more considerate bunch than we are while on the road!!!!!!!!!!
our benz had a dial fer it...
Old 04-01-2008, 08:49 PM   #12
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Wife's Lexus has them. Well worth the cost if the kit is well-engineered. They are somewhat superior to the CIBIE lamps I have installed on Jeeps and my old Chrysler with custom-made harnesses and 100W high beams. The "accuracy" is the key.

I have yet to be "blinded" by HID lamps. The law allows a shorter distance to dip the beam than people realize. And the more "accurate" the light, then the better the control by the oncoming driver. Just as Pop used to say, "move your eyes to the shoulder until they pass".
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote