Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-26-2018, 09:16 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Puget Sound , Washington
Hemi Grand Cherokee mpg

We've got a 2013 19' Flying Cloud and are looking at the latest generation of Jeep Grand Cherokees......used. [2012 on] Not certain we can swing the price of a diesel so the Hemi is the only other choice adaquate for mountains etc. [Currently driving a "modded" Nissan Frontier V6 with more torque then the Jeeps and it isn't getting it.]

In our area a loaded diesel is going to be close to $30K, Hemi can be had for $22 - $25, maybe less. Add in a decent warranty, sales tax and it grows upward fast.

So the big question is what is the real world MPG while towing for the Hemi GC? Your feedback could tell us numbers we can live with, or push us over hedge to spend the money up front for the diesel.

T.I.A.
offwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 10:22 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I tow a 25' with a Durango (GC with a third row) Hemi. I generally get about 12 mpg towing. It can drop to 10mpg in big mountains.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:19 PM   #3
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by offwhite View Post
We've got a 2013 19' Flying Cloud and are looking at the latest generation of Jeep Grand Cherokees......used. [2012 on] Not certain we can swing the price of a diesel so the Hemi is the only other choice adaquate for mountains etc. [Currently driving a "modded" Nissan Frontier V6 with more torque then the Jeeps and it isn't getting it.]

In our area a loaded diesel is going to be close to $30K, Hemi can be had for $22 - $25, maybe less. Add in a decent warranty, sales tax and it grows upward fast.

So the big question is what is the real world MPG while towing for the Hemi GC? Your feedback could tell us numbers we can live with, or push us over hedge to spend the money up front for the diesel.

T.I.A.
1) What percent of annual miles will consist of towing?

2). What percent difference inside THAT percentage will effect a savings?

In short, it won’t where the average RV’er travels 5,000-miles per year towing.

Solo use is what matters.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 11:21 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
We are on our third Jeep GC with a Hemi. The mileage towing our 2002 19' Bambi and without a trailer has improved with each iteration. Our present 2016 gets 13-14 mpg towing strictly highway (including western mountain areas) and 23-24 mpg driving strictly highway. Let's not talk about mileage around town!

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 12:28 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Puget Sound , Washington
Thanks for the replies.

The MPG numbers for the Hemi GC hwy are consistent with everything else I have read, and I can live with that, which is in fact better than what my V6 Frontier pulls now. And I think I can eek out 16-18 in mixed driving. And I'll be hunting down a 2014 or newer with the 8 speed transmission.

The prospect of "only" 12-14 towing, is not very enticing to make a lateral move, what I'm seeing now. Certainly not in comparison to 14-19 with a diesel. Just think how much less expensive it is to travel, even short distances...........diesel is the same price as regular most places I see. Throw in 21+ and 30+ MPG untethered driving and.......

It will probably be a bit longer before we look hard for this new rig but it's difficult to ignore the diesel's merits - even if it costs more up front.

offwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 12:48 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado
A lot of the negative comments related to diesel come from "you don't achieve the fuel savings you expect" type statements. I like my diesel because it's easier to work on and it will last a lot longer (not to mention all the extra power). The added mpg's I get are just icing on the cake.
kidjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 01:06 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
New Hyde Park , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by offwhite View Post

T.I.A.
Offwhite, we have a 2018 GC Hemi. We got just under 14mpg making the trip back from Colonial while pulling our new 23CB International Serenity. No sweat, no pain.
eagletoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 01:21 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Our 17 ram with a 13 31’ Classic gets 13.5-14 average coast to coast...if you have to worry about mileage, you better stay home....the price of fuel is going up
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 02:09 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2013 23' Flying Cloud
Naples , Florida
I pulled my 2012 FC 23D successfully throughout the Rockies for two years with my 2012 GC 5.7 Hemi--would still be doing it if I hadn't needed more cargo space. Had no trouble in general, with one exception: towing up very long AND steep grades in high heat resulted in radiator temp red-zoning even though I was going only 45 mph. This only happened twice and temps were 96+. I just pulled over, rested, and moved along once the temp dropped. Gas mileage varied from 11 to 14 MPG depending upon traffic and terrain; 9-11 for mountains, 14+ in Florida. And between 19-21 not towing. LOVED that Jeep.
Barretta2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 02:43 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2018 28' Tommy Bahama
Silver City , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barretta2 View Post
I pulled my 2012 FC 23D successfully throughout the Rockies for two years with my 2012 GC 5.7 Hemi--would still be doing it if I hadn't needed more cargo space. Had no trouble in general, with one exception: towing up very long AND steep grades in high heat resulted in radiator temp red-zoning even though I was going only 45 mph. This only happened twice and temps were 96+. I just pulled over, rested, and moved along once the temp dropped. Gas mileage varied from 11 to 14 MPG depending upon traffic and terrain; 9-11 for mountains, 14+ in Florida. And between 19-21 not towing. LOVED that Jeep.
You probably already know this:
If radiator temp is zooming up, gear down - causing higher engine revs, which helps to cool the engine. (It's sort of backwards thinking but, I learned this lesson long ago - works!)
ursuit - FS; $$$$ - GONE
If it ain't broke I can break it
A dime still makes a pretty good screwdriver
journeydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 03:05 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Some vehicles, whether due to maintenance or design, just don’t have enough cooling capacity at extended high loads. Especially some of the newer turbo power plants, where OEMS try to save a dime, assuming most owners won’t be running their cars at full tilt for extended periods.

Tow packages will commonly include an additional cooler. For maintenance, common things to check are making sure the radiator is not blocked with mud/leave/contaminates, or that the fins are bent and warped reducing airflow. There are plastic tools to help straiten the fins. Check the radiator is well ducted with all OEM seals to guide all air through the radiator. Of course, make sure there’s enough coolant, and the overflow tank is at the right level if equipped. A common issue with older cars is that the radiator cap gets worn, such that it can’t maintain full pressure. Reduced pressure means lost cooling capacity.

If the car is getting overtaxed, there’s a few things you can do on the fly. As posted above, try running the engine higher up in the rpm band, which allows the coolant pump, fan, and coolant to circulate faster (depending on design). But also decrease the speed of climb as necessary. Of course, if the A/C’s not off, shut it off. You can also turn on the interior heat to full heat/full fan and open your windows. These steps should greatly help reduce engine load and increase heat shedding.

Afterwards, you can always add an additional, or larger auxiliary cooler to help your vehicle perform under these conditions. It’s a relatively cheap and common modification.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 11:41 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2023 27' Globetrotter
w.springfield , Massachusetts
Hemi Grand Cherokee mpg

11 mpg with hemi in a 2012 gc summit trim . Towing 25 foot flying cloud .new England area mix of hills and traffic.