Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-21-2018, 08:15 PM   #181
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Glen Arbor , Michigan
I am a bit late on the 150 vs 250 discussion, but wanted to add my experience. One element of the discussion which seems to be overly analyzed is payload. Don't get me wrong, it matters a lot. My point is though that a 150 with a 2,100 sticker and a 250 with a 2,100 sticker are not similarly capable trucks. I have had a 150 and a 250 and the difference is remarkable. I am not suggesting that a 150 can't do the job, I am only suggesting that too strong a focus on payload can be misleading.
Wanna EB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 08:22 PM   #182
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanna EB View Post
I am a bit late on the 150 vs 250 discussion, but wanted to add my experience. One element of the discussion which seems to be overly analyzed is payload. Don't get me wrong, it matters a lot. My point is though that a 150 with a 2,100 sticker and a 250 with a 2,100 sticker are not similarly capable trucks. I have had a 150 and a 250 and the difference is remarkable. I am not suggesting that a 150 can't do the job, I am only suggesting that too strong a focus on payload can be misleading.

I am with you.You need to check the right boxes or you should have just bought a F150.Most of the people that order these trucks for inventory at the dealerships do not tow anything.So they just guess when they set down and order them.Most salespeople do not tow.So when you go to the dealership to look for advice it pays to research and read the manufacturers tow Gide and brochures.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 07:47 AM   #183
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Frederick , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narayan View Post
I guess this is what I’ll have to drive the truck around for a while to figure out because I hear mixed things. Lots of people like their trucks to feel soft or isolated—like a Cadillac—as if they are riding on air. I prefer a sportier feel, which to me means feeling the road and keeping more in contact with it.

But I don’t yet know what the combination of the truck and hitched trailer will feel like and whether I like it. The good news is that changing out the shocks is a really easy and relatively inexpensive thing to do. So I’ll wait until after my dry runs to decide whether it needs improvement. I find I can’t go by “good” or “bad” on forums for something so subjective.
I wanted to point out that the component of "ride" we tend to neglect is tires. My experience is mostly from 20 years ago on a truck I had then that was delivered with "off-road" style tires (still street legal, of course, but with heavy tread blocks and stiff sidewalls). It was my first truck and was rough as hell. I figured "it's a truck". When I replaced the tires I bought standard truck road M+S tires and was stunned how much smoother it rode. Maybe those types of tires have more flexible sidewalls now with better construction and materials available two decades ago, but I didn't want people to forget that part of the equation. For heavy loads there will be requirements and you need to follow them, of course!

On a side note, when I had a 3/4 ton and it rode a bit stiff empty I just tossed a few sand bags in the bed until I finally got around to getting a topper. It helped.

And Narayan, my F150 pulls my 27' FC just fine, but this thread has made me realize that some of the things I'd like to do (namely a topper and kayaks, for starters) are going to create an issue with payload and now I'm envious that you are getting the F250. I should have paid more attention :-) I will just deal with it for a few more years but my next TV will definitely be a 3/4 ton. Enjoy!
DewTheDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 04:23 PM   #184
Rivet Master

2023 23' International
Macon , Georgia
I am considering trading in my 2015 Chevy 2500 Duramax 4x4 on a 2019 F250 diesel 4x4. I am concerned about ride quality of the F250. I understand that the F250 4x4 has a solid front axle and the F250 4x2 has independent front suspension. Does anyone know if the 4x4 has a harsher ride than the 4x2? I would prefer the 4x4 but not at the expense of poor ride quality. Another advantage of the F250 4x2 is it is 3” lower in height than the 4x4.
Roadtech is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 06:02 AM   #185
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
I drive these trucks all the time in various trims and ages.

The two-wheel drive F250 rides and handles considerably better than the 4x4 but still not as good as the GM with double wishbones.

The Ford also degrades much more over the miles than the GM. Since the degradation is so gradual the owners don't seem to notice it and I think they get used to it over time.

If you are aware of steering feel and unsprung weight I am not sure you can go from the GM to a Ford or Ram and be happy with it.

Andy

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 06:43 AM   #186
Rivet Master

2023 23' International
Macon , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post
I drive these trucks all the time in various trims and ages.

The two-wheel drive F250 rides and handles considerably better than the 4x4 but still not as good as the GM with double wishbones.

The Ford also degrades much more over the miles than the GM. Since the degradation is so gradual the owners don't seem to notice it and I think they get used to it over time.

If you are aware of steering feel and unsprung weight I am not sure you can go from the GM to a Ford or Ram and be happy with it.

Andy
Thank you for giving your experience with both trucks. I guess I will have to wait until the new GM 3/4 ton redesign comes next year.
Roadtech is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 09:39 AM   #187
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtech View Post
Thank you for giving your experience with both trucks. I guess I will have to wait until the new GM 3/4 ton redesign comes next year.
Having my 2017 4x4 F250 6.7L for 46K miles over 18 months now, I was just thinking this morning coming back from the gym how smooth the ride is with this truck. I loved the ride/maneuverability of my F150 prior, and I do know the ride in the 2016 and earlier F250's was much different then in the 2017 and newer...I do carry my Dual Fuel Champion, propane tank, and camp gear in the back pretty much all the time at 150 lbs, maybe , (I am always ready to go AS camping!), but it really does ride pretty nice for this size truck. Can not compare with GM or Dodge 3/4Ts, however. I'm happy with the ride, the payload, the capability pulling the 28', the engine brake, 7 camera system, navigation, sound system, AC/heated massaging seats, collision avoidance, retractable running boards, 34 gal fuel. One thing; we don't need/use the sunroof, but that's about all we really don't use. Can't comment on the GM or Dodge...I'm sure they have advantages in their owners eyes.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 03:19 PM   #188
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
It is of course possible that there are better tow vehicles out there; some of that is personal preference and some of that may be actual spec sheet or service history differences. In the end, if I couldn’t tow with my Volvo, I wanted a Ford. We’ve had a long history with Fords in my family—largely positive—and in fact just for kicks I ordered my 250 from the dealer my family went to for a conversion van when I was a kid (35 years ago) and later for an early generation Explorer. They loved that story and ended up giving me employee pricing.

I’m not a truck guy at heart and I’m hoping that this purchase will last me and my family a good long time since it will be used exclusively as a tow / travel vehicle. When it comes to replace it, I’ll know a little more about what I need for our purposes and can make a decision informed by experience rather than by advice. And maybe even be able to offer advice to others. I will admit I’m pretty excited to get it, if only because that will be the first tangible evidence of our Airstream adventure other than signed papers for both the truck and the trailer.

@gypsydad—I rarely open my sunroof, but boy does it make a world of difference to me in terms of how light and open the cabin feels. Even more so in the cavernous crew cab of the Superduty trucks. I may put 15-20k miles on this truck next year alone...having one was a no-brainer for me, even acknowledging the risks and additional weight.
nryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 06:50 AM   #189
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
I have worked cross country pipeline projects for 30 years. I would say without a doubt, that Ford and Dodge trucks are by far the majority with Chevy a distant 3rd along with Toyota. There is nothing harder on a truck than working on pipeline projects. The Chevys don't hold up as well as the Ford and Dodge trucks. The statement made that 2wd has a better ride than a 4wd is probably true, but when you need 4wd, you will be glad for the extra traction. If a soft ride is your only criteria, then think about an SUV.
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 10:20 AM   #190
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narayan View Post
It is of course possible that there are better tow vehicles out there; some of that is personal preference and some of that may be actual spec sheet or service history differences. In the end, if I couldn’t tow with my Volvo, I wanted a Ford. We’ve had a long history with Fords in my family—largely positive—and in fact just for kicks I ordered my 250 from the dealer my family went to for a conversion van when I was a kid (35 years ago) and later for an early generation Explorer. They loved that story and ended up giving me employee pricing.

I’m not a truck guy at heart and I’m hoping that this purchase will last me and my family a good long time since it will be used exclusively as a tow / travel vehicle. When it comes to replace it, I’ll know a little more about what I need for our purposes and can make a decision informed by experience rather than by advice. And maybe even be able to offer advice to others. I will admit I’m pretty excited to get it, if only because that will be the first tangible evidence of our Airstream adventure other than signed papers for both the truck and the trailer.

@gypsydad—I rarely open my sunroof, but boy does it make a world of difference to me in terms of how light and open the cabin feels. Even more so in the cavernous crew cab of the Superduty trucks. I may put 15-20k miles on this truck next year alone...having one was a no-brainer for me, even acknowledging the risks and additional weight.
Understand...I put 35k miles the first 10 months! Drove from Austin to Portland to pick up my new AS last year...the Sunroof is very nice and very large for sure...Only thing is in Austin, it gets very hot, so we keep the shade closed most of the time... I am sure your going to enjoy your set up! by the way, I did purchase the extended warranty taking it to 100K/5 years. Cost me $2400 from Ford, and I did get a good price from the dealer. I remembered he had told me to purchase before the warranty period was up; I was in Banff and had 34995 miles, when I called him; he had me send a photo of my odometer and give him my credit card...cost me a couple hundred more vs if I had gotten it in the beginning, but couple hundred dollars not too bad. With my diesel and the mileage we are putting on, I wouldn't want any surprises if something were to happen. I likely will hit 100K miles in couple more years. Plan on heading to Alumalina again in few weeks then down to Florida for a week or so...nice to have the time this year.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 10-01-2018, 10:46 AM   #191
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
I did purchase the extended warranty taking it to 100K/5 years. Cost me $2400 from Ford, and I did get a good price from the dealer.
For some reason I can't explain, I've only ever owned Swedish cars (3 Saabs, now on my 3rd Volvo). My first four cars were all (very) used when I purchased them and the only reason I could keep them was because my best friend at the time was a Saab mechanic. It became very clear to me that if I was ever planning on keeping a new car for a while, I would only do so while it was under warranty. So when I started buying new cars I always tacked on a manufacturer's (that's important) warranty, 7y/100k. Though my Volvos have largely been trouble free, having an active warranty when selling has improved resale significantly. In any case, it's worth the peace of mind to me. (As an aside, I also always buy AppleCare with my phones and laptops--we've had four phones replaced on the spot and two logic boards replaced for free in just the last 8 years).

Since I'm looking at owning this truck for the long haul (literally and figuratively), I intend to do the same and I hear decent things about the Ford factory warranty. With my last car I've started purchasing the warranties online from other dealers who seem to specialize in selling factory warranties to Internet buyers (for Ford this is apparently a dealer called Flood Ford). I think of it as diversification. With Volvo, I think you've got a few thousand miles before the rates start increasing.
Old 10-01-2018, 04:20 PM   #192
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Flood and Ziegler are two names that often come up as discount Ford ESP dealers.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 08:37 PM   #193
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
North Bay , Ontario
I love the ride of my F250 Diesel 4x4. I live in the country up a dirt road and like the 4x4 on while flying down the road. I can feel the truck moving on the gravel and it is nice to have the control of a 4x4. I have no idea how a 4 x 2 drives and don't care. I like the firm feel of the truck and like to feel the road as I drive. That includes pavement.

Diesel is for me as I like the torque and engine braking. If this isn't important to you than that is fine. I know what I like and in my opinion nothing beats towing with a diesel.

My 250 is basically a detuned 350. All they have done is take out one leaf spring with the High Capacity Trailer tow Package. The payload is over 3000 pounds which is fine for me. It is the Lariat trim package with basically every available option. I think there were two that were passed on. I actually prefer the truck without the Platinum badging and the more substantial grill. To each his own. If we were all the same the world would be pretty boring.

If I remember correctly it is the High Capacity trailer tow option that gives you the payload.

It is my daily driver but I rarely go places I need to be concerned about it.

The main thing is to buy a truck that suits your needs. I know one thing for sure I know I made the right choice for me. I love my truck and it does what I want it to do. The rest is just noise.
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Albireo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 09:02 PM   #194
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
North Bay , Ontario
I like the idea of the Ford TPMS and its integration; however, it only tells you if the tires are low in pressure from my understanding. I believe it does not give you an audible alarm if the tires are overheating and it does not give an alarm for rapid air loss. With the rapid air loss warning you may have a chance to pull over on the side of the road. You can pre set the values for the rapid air loss so it warns you prior to the tire just being low in pressure. Not all after market tire systems have this function so if you are in the market for one it may be a good idea to get one with this function.

I am certainly not a tire expert but I like the aftermarket sensors for these reasons.
Old 10-01-2018, 09:19 PM   #195
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Albireo, not sure if what you say is true anymore. See on the current generation of systems for Superduty (and I assume other classes) trucks. Not sure if the message is accompanied with an audible alarm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albireo View Post
I like the idea of the Ford TPMS and its integration; however, it only tells you if the tires are low in pressure from my understanding. I believe it does not give you an audible alarm if the tires are overheating and it does not give an alarm for rapid air loss. With the rapid air loss warning you may have a chance to pull over on the side of the road. You can pre set the values for the rapid air loss so it warns you prior to the tire just being low in pressure. Not all after market tire systems have this function so if you are in the market for one it may be a good idea to get one with this function.

I am certainly not a tire expert but I like the aftermarket sensors for these reasons.
Old 10-01-2018, 09:29 PM   #196
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
North Bay , Ontario
Narayan

It is the aftermarket systems that give you the audible alarms and the other features discussed. From my understanding the Ford system for trailers only informs you that the tires are low. No audible alarm.
Old 10-01-2018, 09:40 PM   #197
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
North Bay , Ontario
I can see how my post #194 could be confusing I hope that clears is up.
Old 10-02-2018, 03:41 PM   #198
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albireo View Post
I can see how my post #194 could be confusing I hope that clears is up.
After looking at the video and talking with the Ford service manager I mentioned who had installed his from Ford, the Ford unit only gives pressure. Also, it is couple hundred $$ more than the TST TPMS, which gives you pressure and temperature, with audible warnings and color monitor...I would prefer to have the Ford unit, but the TST unit fits nicely on my dash in front of the speaker, with my trailer camera monitor to the right...all fits there nicely and not difficult to set up and go. Still would prefer all coming from Ford, but for now, this works.
Old 10-02-2018, 03:47 PM   #199
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
I was ordering a new truck and went whole hog. Probably wouldn’t make sense if it wasn’t folded into a sale.

Obviously I don’t have everything yet but I think that on my truck’s dash I will already have a phone and the airstream rear view camera monitor. Wanted to keep “gadgets” to a minimum.

Any way to monitor tire pressure is a good one, I’d say.
Old 10-02-2018, 04:31 PM   #200
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
North Bay , Ontario
Congratulations n your new truck! Very exciting. I have the Ford TPMS on the truck itself and have not changed that. The only difference is I did not integrate the trailer with the truck and opted for aftermarket.

I definitely would have preferred an integrated solution but I wanted the other options mentioned. I am pleased with the truck TPMS. It is a good idea to read up on tire blow out prevention. There are experts around in the RV world who have worked in the tire industry their whole lives.

You can always buy and inexpensive infrared hand held temperature tester and test the tires on your trailer when you stop. It is a good idea to check your tires every time you stop. Just a quick check for punctures, nails, deformities and what not.

A tire monitoring system does not remove a common sense approach to tire safety it just adds another tool in our tool box.

Again, congratulations on your new vehicle.