Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-10-2018, 06:43 AM   #121
Wolfwhistle

Margaritaville , Banana Republic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narayan View Post
Hey folks.

Just thought I'd bring a little bit of closure to this thread by announcing that after test driving a bunch of trucks today, I placed an order for a 2019 F-250 today more-or-less loaded in Lariat trim (build below). They didn't have my exact config on the lot, but looking at the specs one very close in spec to the one I ordered suggests I'll get between 2900 and 3200lbs of payload, which is plenty. Pretty sure I'm paying less for this truck than I would for a 150 Platinum (just as a comparison--the 150 Platinum was never in the running).

No reason to rehash in this thread why I didn't go with the 150 except to say that in the end I gave up with the idea that this truck purchase would result in a truck that could do double duty as a tow vehicle and a daily driver. And once I did that the 150 made less sense.

So I'm locked in and they say it'll take 8-12 weeks but the Superduty forums at ford-trucks suggest many people are waiting longer than that. So I'll expect to pick up the truck sometime in January, which gives me plenty of time to break it in before I pick up the Globetrotter in March.

Here's the build:

F-250 4x4 Crew Cab 6.75' bed
  • Lariat Trim, Blue Jeans Metallic w/ Magnetic accent
    [8]Camel leather interior
  • LT275/65R20E OWL All-Terrain tires
  • 20" Machined cast aluminum wheels
  • 3.73 Electronic-locking axle
  • Fx4 package
  • Lariat Ultimate package
  • Tow Technology bundle
  • Power running boards
  • Power moonroof
  • Adaptive Cruise Control
  • Quad Beam LED Headlamps
  • BLIS
  • Wheel well liners
  • Trailer camera with TPMS
  • Extra heavy duty Alternator
  • Medium duty battery
  • Heated rear seats

Pretty happy with this (as is my 12 year-old son, who had a blast testing trucks with me today). Should be here in Dec/Jan, just in time for me to break it in before picking up the Globetrotter in March.

A few quick questions:
  • I read the threads about 18" vs 20" wheels (either here or elsewhere--I can't remember). I went with 20, not for looks but because those threads suggested they would be better for towing. Any detractors?
  • Should I get A/T or A/S tires? I assume the A/S tires will be quieter?
  • In the end I went with the FX4 for some of the other capabilities (I've used hill descent on my Volvo and can only imagine it being more useful with a 7000 lb trailer attached).

Thanks to everyone who chimed in on this thread--you've all been super helpful, and I'm really looking forward to hitting the road and maybe meeting some of you fine folk.
Very nice package N. I think the usable payload will be right around 3000#, maybe a bit more.

I'd go A/T tires for sure and Michelins if you can specify. ATs are quiet and have far better traction that All Season. If you get seriously off-road, you will want even a more aggressive tread. 20" PRO is better looks. 18" PRO is better ride. And, ride trump looks IMO. With a load, it needs all the help it can get.

Sway bar rear would be a good option and one you can add later if you think you need it. Almost everyone goes to better shocks.

Since rocks will be kicked up (not bad but some) I added Weathertech mudflaps, the full set, which go on without drilling. Not sure of what Ford can install.

Hill descend isn't necessary, but cheap enough. The max speed to engage it is 20 MPH I think. Worked perfectly coming down from Whitney Portal Campground and another time or two. I had a 3000# truck camper on and was a little over GVWR, . Strange to only have to steer.
Old 09-10-2018, 09:51 AM   #122
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Great choice Narayan -- that 250 will serve you well IMO!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 10:50 AM   #123
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
@wolfwhistle—thank you. I switched the tires from 20s to 18s early this morning. Sticking with ATs per your guidance.

I’ll switch out the (fx4) shocks on the truck if they prove too soft. On other forums a lot of people seem to have this package on their towing vehicles and have no issues with it. I noticed that most dealers spec their inventory with it, which might be why a lot of people have it.

The only thing I was on the fence about was the sunroof. But it makes the cabin so much nicer. So I’m willing to live with the risk. I’ve had them on every car since my 1983 Saab and it feels claustrophobic not to have them.

Mudflaps and spray in bed liner are part of the order. Can’t get wheel locks from Ford with the 18” wheels, will need to figure that one out aftermarket.

@OTRA15–thanks!
nryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 11:00 AM   #124
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
What about wheel well liners? Its sad Ford doesnt put them and mud flaps on them as standard equipment. My Toyota came with both standard.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 11:27 AM   #125
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
Yeah. Got those front and rear too. Skid plates come with FX4.
nryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 11:42 AM   #126
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Sounds like a well equipped rig
Old 09-10-2018, 12:52 PM   #127
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfwhistle View Post
I'd go A/T tires for sure and Michelins if you can specify. ATs are quiet and have far better traction that All Season.
Sorry, this is absolutely false.

All season highway tread tires are absolutely superior for on-road traction, efficiency, ride, and quietness.

A/T tires, as in all-terrain, give up optimal tarmac qualities with larger lugs and voids for off-road traction. Larger lugs add squirm, increase rolling resistance, traction, and reduce handling precision. The spectrum of A/T tires is large, from mild to aggressive. But all give up NVH and traction to A/S highway focused tires.

BTW, I have A/T tires. But then I do actually use my vehicle for off-road and to boon-dock. While respectable, I don't kid myself to think it is actually better on-road.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 01:15 PM   #128
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narayan View Post
Yeah. Got those front and rear too. Skid plates come with FX4.
Make sure you get fluid film or some other rust preventative behind those wheel well liners. They hold salt nicely.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 02:09 PM   #129
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
The AT tires on a couple of my vehicles have the mountain/snowflake symbol on the side. I have no issues with their dry pavement performance. I love how they get me around in the snow.
Old 09-10-2018, 02:11 PM   #130
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
Make sure you get fluid film or some other rust preventative behind those wheel well liners. They hold salt nicely.

If I had a new truck that was gonna see any salt, it would get Fluid Film on nearly everything underneath, inside the frame, in the door bottoms, and cab corners if it had a steel body. I am a believer in FF.
Old 09-10-2018, 06:36 PM   #131
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Help spec a new F-250

The body is all aluminum so no rust.Its also glued together no welds.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 06:40 PM   #132
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
The bed is aluminum as well.
Old 09-10-2018, 06:48 PM   #133
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Doylestown , Pennsylvania
power running boards.
After 4 yrs never a problem.
For my $ its worth it
77walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 06:50 PM   #134
Rivet Master

Springfield , Missouri
Help spec a new F-250

Platinum is the best buy with ultimate tow package.Cameras are a great tool.Platinum’ resale value basically pays for itself same goes for 4x4.Just get it all and don’t look back.Most buyers for these trucks used want it all.
Old 09-11-2018, 05:15 AM   #135
Wolfwhistle

Margaritaville , Banana Republic
I don't care about having the best dry pavement traction at the expense of nearly no dirt or mud traction. I do care about getting stuck on wet grass such was the case when I had All Season tires on my last truck and had to use 4 wheel drive on wet grass. The Wrangler A/Ts got me out of slick mud situation and if I had those same A/S tires, it's no telling how or how long it would have taken to get pulled out... unfamiliar location, miles off the road, holiday weekend, no cell service. So, call me what you will. But, my next tire will be an in-between A/T and mud and more aggressive in tread design.

The Wrangler A/T I have offer good wet pavement traction (actually surprised me) and are fairly good in dirt as well. Tough enough for rocky terrain. From listening to those I trust, Michelins are better than GY, but other than slightly too soft sidewalls for truck camping, I am okay with the Wranglers for now.

I think the following highlights are fairly accurate pros and cons.

Characteristics of tires with circumferential tread blocks:

Smooth Quiet Ride
Relatively Low Rolling Resistance
Good Rain Traction
Resistance To Uneven Wear (cupping)
Poor Dirt Or Snow Traction

Characteristics of tires with radial tread blocks:

Good Rain Traction
Improved Traction In Dirt And Snow
Can Stlll Be Quiet Depending On Design

Highway/All Season Tire Characteristics:

Smooth, Quiet Ride
Good Rain Traction
Resistant To Cupping
Long Tread Life

Snow Tire Characteristics:

Phenomenal Snow Traction
Relatively Good On Ice
Relatively Low Tread Wear
Usually Still Quiet

All Terrain Tire Characteristics:

Improved Dirt and Snow Traction
Most All Terrains Inherently Quiet
Capable of Good Wear

"In Between" All Terrain and Mud Tires:

Almost As Much Traction As A Full Mud Tire
Almost As Good Road Manners And Wear As An All Terrain
Makes Some Noise

Mud Tire Characteristics:

Superior Off Road and Mud Traction
Superior Macho Factor
Noisy
Less Traction In Rain
Less Wear
More Expensive
Not Good In Light Snow, Very Good In Deep Snow

My source...
https://www.souzastireservice.com/ti...s-of-tire.aspx
Old 09-11-2018, 06:38 AM   #136
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
I've been very happy with my AT FX4 tires. All things considered might uch better than the street tires I had on my last truck. I dont get stuck in wet grass any longer.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:03 AM   #137
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflash View Post
The body is all aluminum so no rust.Its also glued together no welds.
Aluminum does corrode.

Old 09-11-2018, 06:09 PM   #138
Rivet Master

Springfield , Missouri
Help spec a new F-250

Right.Lol
Old 09-11-2018, 11:32 PM   #139
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
And glue is only used in certain areas, like the roof panel.

Old 09-12-2018, 12:20 AM   #140
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Hah, randomly came across this review from Consumer Reports. I'm sure the owners are reviewing it more accurately.

Quote:
While going in a straight line is one thing, piloting this behemoth in corners is another matter. Handling, in a word, is clumsy, and this monster truck is reluctant to turn. Overall maneuverability is horrid, and the turning circle is laughably huge. Most HD truck buyers get that this is par for the course. The ride is also expectedly rough but not as unyielding as the other mammoth trucks, even with Ford's stiffer FX4 suspension.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote