Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2018, 05:12 AM   #81
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquenzer View Post
I pull a 28’ no problem with my F150 . . .
Within the limits of your rear axle weight rating, with the TV and AS fully loaded?
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 05:15 AM   #82
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Within the limits of your rear axle weight rating, with the TV and AS fully loaded?

YES!! Amazing it can be done!!!!!
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 05:16 AM   #83
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks, you may be carrying less "stuff" than Narayan wants to take IMO. See Posts #66 and #67 on the F150 thread.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...-a-186417.html
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 06:37 AM   #84
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
LOL. My family counts as stuff.
nryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 07:03 AM   #85
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy19 View Post
Obviously you have never driven a Super Duty 250/350 with the snow plow option, so your assumptions have no merit.
Are you talking a "new" F250?? I agree that this snow plow option is not needed. If you have not compared a newer 2017 on up, with the older as far as driving and load carrying ability, your likely not aware of the difference in the suspension now and better ride.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 07:24 AM   #86
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Help spec a new F-250

I have driven them both, they ride the same.Take one for a ride sometime.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 07:48 AM   #87
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I have also tried both of the new generation of trucks. I really couldn't tell a difference in ride.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 10:22 AM   #88
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflash View Post
I have driven them both, they ride the same.Take one for a ride sometime.
I have, before I bought my 2017 F250, and my subjective opinion is that there was a difference.

I've done a lot of suspension mods with sports cars and often times a stiffer suspension setup that is pleasing to one person is intolerable to another. (Ask my wife ) IOW, it's very subjective. The payload advantage of the 350 doesn't happen by magic, it results from stiffer spring rates which, according to Ford, are stiffer even when the truck is unladen. Assuming trim levels and everything else are equal weight-wise between the 250 and 350 you're comparing, stiffer spring rates will certainly result in a harsher ride.

If one can't feel that difference, then I suppose getting a 350 with a higher payload is the way to go. It does make me wonder, though; if there is absolutely no difference at all except for a minor cost differential, and you can get the benefit of the higher payload with no penalty, why does Ford even bother with the 250?

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 11:00 AM   #89

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinca View Post
~~

If one can't feel that difference, then I suppose getting a 350 with a higher payload is the way to go. It does make me wonder, though; if there is absolutely no difference at all except for a minor cost differential, and you can get the benefit of the higher payload with no penalty, why does Ford even bother with the 250?
While I suspect your question is rhetorical, in many states there's a significant licensing difference based on the GVWR of the truck and I think some are just derated on paper to come in a pound under the commercial limit.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 11:13 AM   #90
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinca View Post
I have, before I bought my 2017 F250, and my subjective opinion is that there was a difference.

I've done a lot of suspension mods with sports cars and often times a stiffer suspension setup that is pleasing to one person is intolerable to another. (Ask my wife ) IOW, it's very subjective. The payload advantage of the 350 doesn't happen by magic, it results from stiffer spring rates which, according to Ford, are stiffer even when the truck is unladen. Assuming trim levels and everything else are equal weight-wise between the 250 and 350 you're comparing, stiffer spring rates will certainly result in a harsher ride.

Thanks. A logical breakdown of why an F350 is an F350.

Sure, strides have been made in ride comfort. But one will absolutely know the uncompromising spring rates once the initial plush travel is used on more significant bumps. Then skipping down the roadway. Nothing is gained without giving up elsewhere.

I get the sense that many use to the bigger trucks, probably better tolerate their ungainly and poor dynamic behaviors. Compared to what, a snow plow or tow truck?
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 06:58 PM   #91
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRH View Post
How do you like the 4:30 gears?
Sorry I was offline for a spell. The gearing in my Superduty is fine. The entire towing experience is smooth and effortless. It'll get the 30 footer up to speed easy peasy, honestly, I've not smashed the pedal when towing, wouldn't think of it, no need for it.

I towed a '16 flying cloud with a '15 F150, wouldn't tow with an F150 after the F250 experience.
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 07:00 PM   #92
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
Folks, I'm new to RVs and to trucks both, so excuse the ignorance. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, my main objection to the 250 is its size. There's not much I can do about length--that is what it is--but I'm wondering if I should go with a 4 x 2, which lowers the truck by about 3" (as mentioned earlier...I've verified this), or whether I should stick with 4 x 4 and find some way to lower it.

I've read different things about the importance of 4 x 4 with respect to a travel trailer. Most people say that they use it when backing into a space. Wondering if the locking diff would be sufficient.

I'm not a big truck guy by any means, but my main objection is that getting in and out--either with or without the steps--is a real pain for me and for my family. Also, the kind of trail maintenance I do at the farm would benefit from having a lower bed (and easy ingress/egress).

A few other specifics:
  • I assume the 3.73 E-lock axle?
  • Does FX-4 raise the vehicle at all or just stiffen the springs?
  • Which alternator option?
  • I don't intend to get the Max Towing (it requires diesel). Should I get the 10,000 GVWR package?
  • Which wheels and/or tires do you recommend?

I'm speccing a 250 in case the search for a 150 with HD Payload doesn't pan out.

Thanks.
nryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 07:14 PM   #93
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
Narayan, you're doing what I did just a few years back. I ordered my F250 and spec'd it as I wanted. I didn't get the FX4, I think it included what is claimed to be better shocks, skid plates on the tranny and fuel tank, and the fX4 decal.

I ordered the XLT and added the skid plates.

A 4x4 comes in handy in wet grass, gravel inclines in campgrounds, pretty much any time the rear wheels are spinnin'

I also ordered the camper package, it upped my payload capacity, but I believe makes for a bit stiffer ride when empty. If I recall it added a leaf spring in the rear. I must say though, when hitched up and loaded, it rides pretty smooth.

Only thing I regret is not getting the extended step bars.

Definitely get the tailgate step, my opinion....I'll be 59 soon, and that step and grab handle are a real plus for me.
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 07:40 PM   #94
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Theres no way I would buy a new truck and not get 4wd.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 09:07 PM   #95
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narayan View Post
Folks, I'm new to RVs and to trucks both, so excuse the ignorance. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, my main objection to the 250 is its size. There's not much I can do about length--that is what it is--but I'm wondering if I should go with a 4 x 2, which lowers the truck by about 3" (as mentioned earlier...I've verified this), or whether I should stick with 4 x 4 and find some way to lower it.

I've read different things about the importance of 4 x 4 with respect to a travel trailer. Most people say that they use it when backing into a space. Wondering if the locking diff would be sufficient.

I'm not a big truck guy by any means, but my main objection is that getting in and out--either with or without the steps--is a real pain for me and for my family. Also, the kind of trail maintenance I do at the farm would benefit from having a lower bed (and easy ingress/egress).

A few other specifics:
  • I assume the 3.73 E-lock axle?
  • Does FX-4 raise the vehicle at all or just stiffen the springs?
  • Which alternator option?
  • I don't intend to get the Max Towing (it requires diesel). Should I get the 10,000 GVWR package?
  • Which wheels and/or tires do you recommend?

I'm speccing a 250 in case the search for a 150 with HD Payload doesn't pan out.

Thanks.
Definitely get the locking axle whether you do 4x4 or not, although I would go 4x4. I don't think trying to lower a new 4x4 is a good option. If the problem with height relates to getting in and out, consider the retractable running boards. I know some folks worry about the added complexity and potential reliability problems (that's what warranties are for) but the retractable boards extend lower than the fixed versions, and have a broader, non-slip step. My wife has had a knee replacement and arthritis in her hip but the retractable boards make it relatively easy for her to get in and out.

My understanding is that the FX4 option actually has softer shocks suitable for off road use plus skid plates. It doesn't raise the vehicle. I skipped that option.

For $85, I'd choose the heavy duty alternator. You don't need dual alternators unless you're running a lot of add-on lighting and other extra electrical accessories and the dual alternators otherwise add weight and place extra drag on the engine.

The 10000 GVWR package adds no functionality but it does classify the truck in such a way that it might save you weight fees on your registration.

My Platinum package truck came with 20" wheels. I like the way they look, but the choice is yours and the 18" wheels and tires are perfectly functional.

Oh, and as has already been mentioned, for sure get the hide-away tailgate step, especially if you buy a 4x4, whether F150 or F250. It makes getting in and out of the bed much easier.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 09:35 PM   #96
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRH View Post
Theres no way I would buy a new truck and not get 4wd.
I second this. Absolutely 4WD. If you're already paying a premium for a great tow vehicle, why give up such a fundamental capability?

Some campsites I've been to are grassy, rutted out, or steep. 4WD (with low range) has been a great asset in these situations. Mix in a little water and that proud truck is going to lose its footing looking for help.
Old 09-05-2018, 09:40 PM   #97
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Frederick , Maryland
Regarding the 4x4; since you mentioned you are going to pull your AS to Alaska, I'm guessing (but I've never been up that way) that in the northwest in general you will find gnarlier campsites in terms of wet/muddy/rutted/not flat. 4x4 is good for all of that.
DewTheDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 10:17 PM   #98
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' International
Bozeman , Montana
I can't image not having 4wd for the way we use our vehicle on trips. We do a lot of exploring down dirt and marginal roads. Love having a capable vehicle and appreciate having skid plates in some of the rocky areas we end up.

Besides the crappy turning radius due to the steering on a Superduty, the other thing I miss over our F150 is not have a full time 4wd option. I have found it handy to be able to leave it in full time 4wd (open not locked center diff) in mixed conditions so there is no driveline nor tire issues but yet you have additional traction for slippery spots.
HeadWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 12:00 AM   #99
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadWest View Post
Besides the crappy turning radius due to the steering on a Superduty, the other thing I miss over our F150 is not have a full time 4wd option. I have found it handy to be able to leave it in full time 4wd (open not locked center diff) in mixed conditions so there is no driveline nor tire issues but yet you have additional traction for slippery spots.
That's two pretty big things to give up. If I were on the fence, those reasons alone would sway me towards an F150. Having additional maneuverability in campsites is a huge asset.
Old 09-07-2018, 03:02 PM   #100
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Any time I've actually *needed* 4WD, I've needed things to lock up. The times that 4WD has failed me, it's been on vehicles that don't lock things up so they can play nice on normal roads.

Turning radius on the *new* F-250's is pretty good. It's not the monster that it was a year or two ago. You would have a hard time finding a turn that the 2019 version can't make that the F-150 can make.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote