Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-01-2018, 04:17 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
Help spec a new F-250

Hi. Some of you may have seen my other thread, Help spec a new F-150. This is its companion thread.

I'm a newbie seeking advice on speccing a TV for a 2019 Globetrotter FB Twin. I'm hoping these threads provide me (and future owners of similarly sized trailers) some insight on how to navigate the myriad options involved in tow truck specs, hopefully without the dogmatic opinion that seems to have plagued the similar threads.

You can view the first post in that 150 thread for some context on trailer use and payload. For this thread, I'll get straight to my questions:
  • Whereas speccing an F-150 seems to be about finagling this option and that option to arrive at a workable tow and payload capacities for the GT, the F-250 seems a lot more straightforward. Am I correct in thinking that the only major decision to make is gas or disel, and that any 250 with the max tow package is more than capable of carrying my family and gear and towing my trailer?
  • Are there any configurations I should avoid? There is part of me that thinks that if I need to get a big truck, I might as well get a Platinum and some options then call it done.
  • Assuming I don't need Max Tow with the 250, I'm not clear on which axle ratio, wheelbase, or alternator I should get. 3.73 non-limited slip axle ratio is standard.
  • I've read differing opinions on wheel size. I have 20" wheels on my Volvo SUV and I like they way they ride. I switch to 18" wheels in the winter though due to potholes. Should I take a similar approach with the 250? Should I change the standard tire spec?
  • I really don't like the height of these large trucks; I wish they could be specced to be lower to the ground. Is there anyone carrying a family in a 250? How do people manage kids getting in and out of them?

Here's the build I'm considering:

Base config for the 250:
  • 6.2 FlexFuel (I'm really hoping I don't need diesel) / 4 x 4
  • CrewCab / 6-3/4' bed
  • Tonneau cover & bike rack

In Lariat Trim:
  • Lariat Ultimate package
  • Tow Technology package
  • Tailgate step
  • Power running boards
  • Misc accessories

In Platinum Trim:
  • Platinum Ultimate package

As you can see, the Platinum Trim w/ the Ultimate package pretty much takes care of everything I'd need to add on to the Lariat. Just not sure on the more technical specs (axle, alternator, wheel/tires, etc.). I'm very mechanically competent--when it comes to bicycles.

Here's where I'll qualify my interest in the 150. I don't want a large truck. I want a truck I can potentially use 100% of the time, which is the 150. A 250-size truck will be useless to me 9 months of the next year and probably 10+ months out of most years thereafter. At home a 250 will not fit in my garage (in fact will require car shuffling if it's in the driveway), will be a pain to drive around town, gets horrible gas mileage in stop-and-go traffic, and does not lend itself to urban parking or maneuvering. At the farm the 250 will rip up the trails I'm currently maintaining with my side-by-side. So though it is clearly a better truck for towing, it's a worse lifestyle truck for me. This is by no means disparaging those with 250s, just qualifying why I'm looking at both the 150 and the 250 and figuring out which set of compromises I am most comfortable with. I think a lot of the people who say "go with the bigger truck" assume the only use for the truck is for towing an AS and are not particularly concerned or considerate about the broader context in which a truck might play a role.

Seems like both trucks will roughly be the same price, though I suspect I'm more likely to find the 250 Platinum on a lot or even used and get a better deal on it than I am the 150 with all the specific options I'll need to make it work. I have the luxury of time here, though, since my trailer won't be picked up until after winter.

Anyway, hoping to get some advise on speccing a 250 here. In a similar spirit, let's not make this a "get a 350" or "get a 150" thread--let's make it helpful for anyone considering a 250. I'm hoping it's a lot more straightforward than the 150 given that the base truck more than covers the numerical aspects of my setup.
nryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 05:45 PM   #2
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
In a 6.2, I would get the optional 4:30 gears. I would also.get the trailer tow camera system, tailgate step and probably blindspot monitoring. I would also probably get the 5th/gooseneck attachment points.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 06:42 PM   #3
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRH View Post
In a 6.2, I would get the optional 4:30 gears. I would also.get the trailer tow camera system, tailgate step and probably blindspot monitoring. I would also probably get the 5th/gooseneck attachment points.
I'm towing a 30' trailer with 2017 F250 and 3.73 gears. I find that gearing to be spot on. Certainly better than my 2012 F150 v8 with the 3.55. Those were too tall in my opinion.

I haven't tried them, but I'm not sure I'd go to 4.30 for an 8,000 lb trailer. I think you'll be revving needlessly.

And those will almost certainly be special order. I never saw one on the lot when I was searching.
Old 09-01-2018, 06:49 PM   #4

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
I also think 3.73:1 is enough. The 6.2 should do fine if you're not afraid to put your foot in it... it'll need RPM to climb, but letting it rev when you need it won't hurt anything.

For a 250 I would *ONLY* consider the gas engine, if I wanted the diesel I'd get the single-wheel 350 because that big heavy lump eats a lot of the 250's payload.

Personally I don't like power running boards. I keep a vehicle 10ish years and it's one more thing to break. You live in snow&ice country, I'd imagine the power running boards are problematic in icy conditions too, but that's pure conjecture on my part.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 07:14 PM   #5
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I have read many 3:73 owners on truck forums that wish they had 4:30. I don't think I have seen it the other way around. 4:30 will yield better pulling from first gear all the way up. Gas mileage diffence will be negligible. In some cases, the 4:30 may give better mileage.
Old 09-01-2018, 07:48 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Ivins , Utah
Definitely some great discussion here with respect to payload, 4x4, mirrors, etc. I will cut to the chase here on the really important question: Definitely blue. Looks much better in front of a shiny new Globetrotter, in my opinion ! :-)
steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 07:57 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
Go big or go home. Get the 250 diesel. Pick your trim. You will have plenty of capacity. Towing is so much easier and relaxed.
brick
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 08:03 PM   #8
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
If I was going diesel, I would go F350 to get the most payload.
Old 09-01-2018, 08:04 PM   #9
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

After going around in circles on a bunch of stuff, I just caved in and got the Platinum version. If I'd taken the 4x4 off the list and also did not need the power running boards for the wife's knee issues .... I might have saved some money on a lower trim level.

I'm very happy with the gas version of the truck. I have not encountered any situation where I feel like I'm short on power or engine braking.

I would suggest that the electronic locking rear axle is a "really good idea". A 4x4 can still leave you spinning 2 wheels and delivering zip to the other two. Been there done that (unfortunately) several times in years gone by.

The camera ( 360 degree view) package is well worth the money. I use it pretty much every time I park the truck anywhere. Also the "lane warning" setup that turns on the little yellow light in the mirror ....worth every penny. The radar gizmo in the tail light housings that yells about cross traffic when you back up, worth it, but further down the list than the rest of the stuff. ( Yes, you need the full tow package with the mirrors and the camera out the back ...I just *assume* you are already getting all that).

Payload (or whatever you want to call it), the F-250 with the full up springs ( camper package does that plus a rear anti-sway for cheap) is "enough" for what we do. Yes, there's at least 500 pounds of crap in the bed and another 800 pounds in the cab as we roll down the road. That adds to the hitch and cover weights. It will do that plus the trailer ok ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 08:13 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Potentially another question to ask is how might your lifestyle change in the next 5 years or so. Do you see yourself going more or full time on the road?

Both F150 and F250 will do the job. Considering that you will have 75% usage unhitched... Which do wish to optimize more? Do you often find yourself reflecting and wish you would have just sprung for more?
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 09:13 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
Again--thanks for the great input, everyone.

If I go 250, I suspect I'll go the @uncle_bob route and just get the Platinum / gas with Ultimate package and a few other things. There will be things I like and things I don't need but it'll cover all bases and presumably be pretty easy to find. I have a lot of the tech features mentioned so far in my every day car (a Volvo) and have come to like them and it would be good to carry that over into the trips I take with the AS in the coming years. I'm still not sure about the gearing but if general consensus is that standard (3:73) is good enough, I'd just as soon get that.

As for how my lifestyle might change in the next few years--my youngest is only in 3rd grade, so any major lifestyle changes are going to be a ways off. I'm taking an open-ended sabbatical from employment now to be a part of their lives while they are young and this whole AS / Alaska adventure next summer is part of that. We'll see how that goes and decide whether that's how we want to spend the summer afterwards, but as of now full-timing is not in the cards. My main hope is to get them interested in seeing new places and people--by truck, trailer, plane, bike, or otherwise.

Anyway, if I have to get a 250, so be it. It's just not ideal in other ways. I'm really lucky to have the choice, and I'll be fine either way.
nryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 10:30 PM   #12

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
I reiterate... if you're going gas, the 250 is fine but if you go diesel go 350. The lengths (and turning circles, etc.) are the same for 250 and the SRW 350.

I think it's hilarious that some of the same people who preach that if you tow with an F150 the world will end because you went a pound over payload are ignoring the fact that the high-trim diesel 250s don't have much more payload than the high-payload 150s.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 05:20 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
While I don't doubt that you know your lifestyle, before completely discounting the 250 based on believed perceptions, I would recommend renting one for a week from Enterprise, or maybe a well used demo from a dealer if you can find one, be sure it is at least a 2017, as that is when the ride changes were made. This way you can confirm you can't live with it and feel confident with the decision.

A 3rd grader can climb.
Old 09-02-2018, 05:32 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narayan View Post
. . .
Anyway, if I have to get a 250, so be it. It's just not ideal in other ways. I'm really lucky to have the choice, and I'll be fine either way.
Great new thread and closing thoughts above.

Good advice from Randy in the last post, if you have not already spent a week or so driving a newish 250.

Best wishes for your sabbatical and family trips.

Happy Trails!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 06:05 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2023 23' International
Macon , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
I think it's hilarious that some of the same people who preach that if you tow with an F150 the world will end because you went a pound over payload are ignoring the fact that the high-trim diesel 250s don't have much more payload than the high-payload 150s.
I have a 2015 Chevy 2500 Duramax LTZ with every option available. My door sticker payload says 2267 lbs.
Roadtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 06:08 AM   #16
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
With the Platinum package you will loose payload capacity. Drop down a notch to the Lariat. 4.30 gears are too low. 3.73 will be plenty. The only issues I see with diesel is that fuel prices may be rising as the container ships will soon be shifting to diesel fuel instead of the bunker fuel they are now using. Aside from that I would go with the diesel. Also for just 3-400 dollars more you can go with the F350 and really increase the payload.
Old 09-02-2018, 06:18 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Borrowing a quote from the F-150 thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Very often it is the front and rear axle weight ratings which mess up an apparently useable package . . .
. . .
A chain is only as strong as its weakest link.

Most research and posts, about tow capacity, do not get into the nitty-gritty details of how all the factors impact the axle weight ratings IMO. If everyone would take their fully loaded tow vehicles and AS to a CAT scale, most folks would be shocked to learn how close they are to the front and/or rear axle ratings.

A 4WD TV with the weight distribution set on the heavy side, will often exceed the front axle rating in particular IMO.

A chain is only as strong as its weakest link.

Good luck,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 06:43 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Clayton , Georgia
We ordered and took delivery of our '17 F250 6.2 gas engined Lariat Crew Cab some three months before getting our Airstream, to give us a chance to get used to driving the beast. Got the 3.73 gears, 4 wheel drive, locking diff, towing package, nifty 360° camera system, power extending mirrors, extended fixed running boards, no sun roof (increases payload and one less place to leak), tailgate step, and spray in bedliner.

Once we got the truck added Husky floor mats, mud flaps, inner fender liners, Truck Cover USA roll top tonneau cover, front trailer hitch, tailgate damper, and probably a few more goodies. I lowered the rear of the truck about 1½" by replacing the spring blocks with those off a 2016 F250. That leveled the truck and made it a bit easier to get into the back.

Our gas engined F250 has over 3000 lbs. of payload and tows our FC 28 just fine. In our part of the country diesel fuel in more expensive than gasoline, and the diesel engine option adds some $8K and 800 lbs of weight to the truck, so another reason to get the 6.2 liter gas variant.

We got the short bed version of the pickup, so the total length isn't terrible. It does take up slightly more than one parking space in length at the grocery store, so we always park in the rear of the lot. Fuel mileage isn't great: 10-12 mpg towing, 11-12 mpg in around town driving, 14-15 mpg on the highway.
But about 100 smiles per gallon in all conditions.

Have had the truck for a year now, put 17K miles on it, and are very happy with it.
TV: 2017 Ford F250 Lariat w/ Blue Ox Sway Pro
AIRForums #126944 WBCCI #1297
Baby Zeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 08:13 AM   #19
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

While my dealer didn't have a Platinum on the lot, he was more than willing to let me have a F-250 for the weekend. We didn't take him up on the deal. Based on talking to others, it's a pretty common offer.

The rear axle thing is pretty simple - better gas milage one way, slightly more low end "pull" the other way. I've never run into a lack of pull getting out of a site ....errr ... well ... *assuming* all the chocks got pulled first

In terms of color, there's only one option - white. When they put in a pipeline in your area, all the work trucks will be white. You get waved through faster if you look like you're part of the crew. It doesn't seem to work quite as well when the AS is hooked up though ....

Miles wise, we're at 60% of total milage on the truck "while towing". The other 40% includes the normal running to the grocery store, trips around town, and driving over to visit mom. The next door neighbors put > 15,000 miles a year on their AS. His towing percentage makes me look like I spend all my time in town. No two people are quite the same in terms of usage.

One thing to know about - the receiver on the F-250's is rated for an Airstream and a half worth of weight. Because of this, the shank that goes into it is bigger than the normal shank. Ford gives you a shim tube to get it back down to "normal" size. You can also get an oversized shank to go into it. (it's only money ...).

You will find that the latches on the safety chains have a way they want to go on. Put them on that way (from the rear of the plate) and they go on and come off easily. Rotate the latch 180 degrees (so it's going on from the front of the plate) and it's a struggle. That makes very little sense as described. Hopefully it makes more sense when you try to do it.

Being high up in a "modern" truck is a bit crazy. I would *never* go as high as they do if there was a choice. It's way to crazy loading stuff, dogs, and people. It does nothing good to the stability of the vehicle. All that said, being able to see further down the road *is* a plus. Sight distance is very important. Having a bit more reaction time can make a difference. That's a small plus and (to me) some pretty big minus items. 4x2 seems to be the only way to get closer to earth.

The only option I have found utterly useless is the "ladder" that pops out of the tailgate. It's there to make it easier to get into the bed. If you are a "full sized" person, the thing is a complete joke. My guess is that the target audience is under the age of ten ....

Payload wise, the F-350 has more payload. There is *zero* difference between the bottom end (SRW) F-350 and the top end F-250 in anything other than the springs. Cost wise they are very close. Some states *might* license one differently than the other. I had an emotional reaction to the F-350 badge. I probably should have considered one more seriously.

Going to the Ford site, there are only a few things on my truck that aren't part of the "ultimate" package:

1) Max GWR package
2) Max front suspension
3) FX4
4) Locking rear axle.

Past that, I don't see much of anything else "missing" on the 2019 spec sheet. Yes, there are a few things there that are not on my truck. Some of them look nice.

I am reminded after looking at the spec sheet that indeed trucks cost a lot more than they did 50 years ago ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 09:08 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Moss Point , Mississippi
value of tailgate step

I disagree regarding the tailgate step. Thought it would be stupid, but is in fact very useful and would always consider getting one on any future truck. To get in and out of the bed to fasten/unfasten kayaks or move generator to the back to run, it makes life MUCH easier. Normally I forgo pulling out the vertical bar that can be used as a grab bar and just use the step.

I have the 6.2L gas XLT F250 and much better TV for my 26U than the F150 that preceeded it (3156 lb payload vs 1740 lbs on the F150). MPG is less (10.83 mpg for recent 8500 mile trip to International rally) than F150, but acceptable.
Dave-n-Janet is offline   Reply With Quote