Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-15-2018, 07:15 PM   #221
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
I put the bikes in the cap so they are out of the weather and safer. I built a shelf that is about 2/3 as wide as the bed, full length. It plywood and sits on 2x10s so I can slide a ladder under it. I have a few totes and a cooler on top with the bikes on the side.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:40 PM   #222
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
North Bay , Ontario
Great truck. Nice interior. I have the same in my 2019, 250 and love it. It is a calming interior and seems to wear well so far.
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Albireo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 10:45 AM   #223
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
Scott—that is *exactly* what I am thinking of doing. I don’t want a full-bed slide, I kind of want a 1/2-2/3 width slide so I can get full height storage as well. I don’t know that I’ll take a ladder (the collapsible ones may be just fine for my purposes, but I can see making a deck under which smaller totes can be stored.

I was just informed that my cap is in and can be installed on Tues. I am taking the cap less beast to get it weighed today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTinNJ View Post
I put the bikes in the cap so they are out of the weather and safer. I built a shelf that is about 2/3 as wide as the bed, full length. It plywood and sits on 2x10s so I can slide a ladder under it. I have a few totes and a cooler on top with the bikes on the side.
Old 11-18-2018, 10:50 AM   #224
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Quote:
Originally Posted by nryn View Post
Scott—that is *exactly* what I am thinking of doing. I don’t want a full-bed slide, I kind of want a 1/2-2/3 width slide so I can get full height storage as well. I don’t know that I’ll take a ladder (the collapsible ones may be just fine for my purposes, but I can see making a deck under which smaller totes can be stored.

I was just informed that my cap is in and can be installed on Tues. I am taking the cap less beast to get it weighed today.
When I get a chance I'll snap a pic for you. I only carry the big ladder because I had it. It's one of those 4 section ladders that opens like an A. Heavy but makes getting on the roof really easy.
Old 11-18-2018, 11:48 AM   #225
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
When I get a chance I'll snap a pic for you. I only carry the big ladder because I had it. It's one of those 4 section ladders that opens like an A. Heavy but makes getting on the roof really easy.
Haven't got a ladder yet...don't really have a need for one most of the time..I have ladders at home and my cabin. I have a folding step stool that works for most things I need to get at outside. If I get one I like the telescoping 8' lightweight aluminum, 300lb max weight type around $100+ or so on amazon.. Don't really want to take up space with a regular ladder I would rarely use, even if it's folded up.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 12:20 PM   #226
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Haven't got a ladder yet...don't really have a need for one most of the time..I have ladders at home and my cabin. I have a folding step stool that works for most things I need to get at outside. If I get one I like the telescoping 8' lightweight aluminum, 300lb max weight type around $100+ or so on amazon.. Don't really want to take up space with a regular ladder I would rarely use, even if it's folded up.
Agree 100%. But I still own a rental unit back home with 20' ceilings. I need the ladder from time to time.
Old 11-18-2018, 01:55 PM   #227
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Just to be clear, I’m not knocking your ladder ScottInNJ—not at all. Those “little giant” type ladders are super cool. I have one at home too and use it for everything from changing lightbulbs to getting on the house roof and also as scaffolding.

Got the truck weighed at a CAT scale today. Doing that was a lot easier than I was expecting! Payload sticker is spot on.
Old 11-19-2018, 06:29 AM   #228
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Galt , California
specing an F-250

Sounds like you made a great choice. I too, have the F-250 (2017) and I agree with the comfort statements. Best thing for my back is driving that truck.
Only choice you may regret is not getting the 6.7L diesel. If you get up into the Rockies, you will notice the difference in tow power, and fuel economy. Other that that, congrats on a great truck. Enjoy!
Andrew
K6STN
absteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 05:01 PM   #229
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Quote:
Just to be clear, I’m not knocking your ladder ScottInNJ—not at all. Those “little giant” type ladders are super cool. I have one at home too and use it for everything from changing lightbulbs to getting on the house roof and also as scaffolding.

Got the truck weighed at a CAT scale today. Doing that was a lot easier than I was expecting! Payload sticker is spot on.
All good. Didn't think you were.

What was the weight?
Old 11-19-2018, 06:35 PM   #230
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
@absteen: I have nothing against them but for all sorts of reasons, I didn’t want a diesel. But if I did I would have gone with a 350, since the diesel eats about 800 lbs of payload. In a good year I’ll see the Rockies twice and most years not at all; I’m totally fine having a truck rev a little more to get to the top.

@SCOTTinNJ: 7160 lbs, with 3000 of that on the drive axle. That’ll go up by around 200-225 lbs tomorrow when the cap is put on and the bedrug installed. Hopefully it’ll settle the truck a bit too—it’s pretty bouncy!
Old 11-19-2018, 07:33 PM   #231
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Quote:
@SCOTTinNJ: 7160 lbs, with 3000 of that on the drive axle. That’ll go up by around 200-225 lbs tomorrow when the cap is put on and the bedrug installed. Hopefully it’ll settle the truck a bit too—it’s pretty bouncy!
Thanks. And your payload is 2,874#? Seems they really do limit payload to 10,000#.

Never did weigh mine but I have no sunroof, leather, etc on an xlt. My payload is 3164# so I suppose my truck was around 6900# from the factory.

I bet the truck weighs about the same as my trailer, which is 6500# dry.
Old 11-20-2018, 04:18 PM   #232
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Not quite a “F-250 build” post but thought I’d post this addendum about the cap on the truck.

I got the cap/racks/bedrug installed today. Went with an ARE Z-series, but with the sliding windows rather than the hinged windows. My dogs will be riding in the back sometimes; the owners of the ARE dealer who I purchased from are dog owners and advised strongly to get the sliding windows rather than the hinged ones for airflow (they apparently had the hinged ones themselves but ended up going to the sliding ones later). I prefer the look of the frameless windows but I want my dogs to be comfortable when they aren’t in the cab. My sliding windows have pet screens as well.

I’m really glad I didn’t get the MX series with “windoors”—I’m sure they are excellent and if I got a smaller truck I would have probably loved them. But I’m pretty average height (5’9”) and there’s no way I’d be able to reach in through the windows of this beast—they are too high. I have to jump to close the rear glass on the cap.

I got the Yakima rack system even though I don’t really see a need for it unless we end up bringing a kayak, though in theory it does give me a bit more flexibility for bringing bikes along (though I can’t imagine getting them up there—wow). When you order the rack with a cap (I’m sure other cap manufacturers are the same) it’s basically less than half the cost of buying one separately and the rails are integrated into the cap. I’ve never had a Yakima system but it works pretty well and it was super easy to remove when I got home.

The quality on the cap seems great and I really like the lighting, the placement of the 12v outlets, and the electronic lock that is tied in with the OEM key fob (yes, it has a manual key as well).

I also got a BedRug—the bottom of the bed only (not the walls) since I have the spray-in liner. Really it’s only to help me slide stuff around and to help my knees when I’m in there arranging. In the bed will be our folding bikes, a generator, a grill, tools, misc camp gear and a few bins of stuff. And on occasion, a crate with a couple of mutts in it.

The truck definitely drives a little more “planted” with the weight of the cap. No idea on how the cap improves or decreases MPG—the truck is pretty thirsty to begin with so whatever difference it makes is probably negligible.

So there you go—the next time I post about this truck will be in March when it is towing an Airstream. Thanks again to everyone who helped me figure this all out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C2CFF4D6-B103-49FC-AF0A-716975FB0791.jpeg
Views:	131
Size:	992.8 KB
ID:	328235   Click image for larger version

Name:	9F28A675-84E1-44C0-B023-8CEC6477BD21.jpeg
Views:	126
Size:	481.2 KB
ID:	328236  

nryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 04:44 PM   #233
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Looks good. A lot like a blue version of mine!

One thing to keep in mind is that you are now about 7'2" tall. Watch those parking decks.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:26 AM   #234
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Not quite a “F-250 build” post but thought I’d post this addendum about the cap on the truck.

I got the cap/racks/bedrug installed today. Went with an ARE Z-series, but with the sliding windows rather than the hinged windows. My dogs will be riding in the back sometimes; the owners of the ARE dealer who I purchased from are dog owners and advised strongly to get the sliding windows rather than the hinged ones for airflow (they apparently had the hinged ones themselves but ended up going to the sliding ones later). I prefer the look of the frameless windows but I want my dogs to be comfortable when they aren’t in the cab. My sliding windows have pet screens as well.

I’m really glad I didn’t get the MX series with “windoors”—I’m sure they are excellent and if I got a smaller truck I would have probably loved them. But I’m pretty average height (5’9”) and there’s no way I’d be able to reach in through the windows of this beast—they are too high. I have to jump to close the rear glass on the cap.

I got the Yakima rack system even though I don’t really see a need for it unless we end up bringing a kayak, though in theory it does give me a bit more flexibility for bringing bikes along (though I can’t imagine getting them up there—wow). When you order the rack with a cap (I’m sure other cap manufacturers are the same) it’s basically less than half the cost of buying one separately and the rails are integrated into the cap. I’ve never had a Yakima system but it works pretty well and it was super easy to remove when I got home.

The quality on the cap seems great and I really like the lighting, the placement of the 12v outlets, and the electronic lock that is tied in with the OEM key fob (yes, it has a manual key as well).

I also got a BedRug—the bottom of the bed only (not the walls) since I have the spray-in liner. Really it’s only to help me slide stuff around and to help my knees when I’m in there arranging. In the bed will be our folding bikes, a generator, a grill, tools, misc camp gear and a few bins of stuff. And on occasion, a crate with a couple of mutts in it.

The truck definitely drives a little more “planted” with the weight of the cap. No idea on how the cap improves or decreases MPG—the truck is pretty thirsty to begin with so whatever difference it makes is probably negligible.

So there you go—the next time I post about this truck will be in March when it is towing an Airstream. Thanks again to everyone who helped me figure this all out.
Nice looking pair! The rack will be great for the kayaks...we started without anything; then camped a week at a lake, and decided we needed a canoe, after watching others having fun....$600 dollars later for the Canoe, then the $600 Yakima roof rack system and the truck bed adjustable system, we were at the lake canoeing, and "she" decided we really should be doing kayaks instead of canoeing...so, now we have over $1500 invested in 2 kayaks, expensive paddles, new life preservers to match the kayaks, and....now she thinks we would like to "paddle board" instead..."everyone says this is the best for building your core up", she says...I am thinking about opening up a rental marina out of the back of my truck next summer!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 11-21-2018, 12:06 PM   #235
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
@gypsydad—that is freaking hysterical. I’ll have to keep tabs on your whereabouts next year because I’m trying to keep the gear down to a minimum. In other words, I’m trying not to become you . I sort of feel like the bikes will be enough to take with and if we want to go kayaking we can rent. We won’t be doing it often enough to justify purchase (at least that’s what I say now).

@scottinNJ—this thing will likely never see a parking garage. Even before the racks (which I have since removed—very cool system) it won’t fit in any parking garage in my town. Like the Airstream, it will live out at the farm when it’s not on the road. It’s a country mouse. A BIG country mouse.
Old 11-22-2018, 07:01 AM   #236
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Quote:
@gypsydad—that is freaking hysterical. I’ll have to keep tabs on your whereabouts next year because I’m trying to keep the gear down to a minimum. In other words, I’m trying not to become you . I sort of feel like the bikes will be enough to take with and if we want to go kayaking we can rent. We won’t be doing it often enough to justify purchase (at least that’s what I say now).

@scottinNJ—this thing will likely never see a parking garage. Even before the racks (which I have since removed—very cool system) it won’t fit in any parking garage in my town. Like the Airstream, it will live out at the farm when it’s not on the road. It’s a country mouse. A BIG country mouse.
Mine doesn't see parking decks too often either. But when we travel and want to park in the city to explore it becomes an issue to deal with. We've always found something, but some were close calls.
Old 11-23-2018, 10:52 AM   #237
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Mine doesn't see parking decks too often either. But when we travel and want to park in the city to explore it becomes an issue to deal with. We've always found something, but some were close calls.
Yea, parking garage's are something to keep in mind with the F250/350 size...they weren't meant for vehicles with high roof lines for sure. But, small price for the performance when towing, which is why I bought it!
Old 02-06-2019, 09:41 PM   #238
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
The Bed Rug is a very nice addition to our F-150, Came on the truck i would not pay for it they left it in for no cost. One year later my knees love it and so does travel cargo that is not scratched up or banged up sliding around.

I do not haul dirt trees or stones although the company says the Bed Rug can take it and is wash and dry compatible.
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 12:43 AM   #239
3 Rivet Member

2019 23' Flying Cloud
West Sacramento , California
Thanks OP for this timely thread and to many others who ha e contributed positively. Looking to get a used one as the truck will for the most part stay parked 10 months of the year. When I retire that'll be a different song. However, looking like a 6.2 gas for ME is the way to go with extra can for comfort of the passengers. I know my wife won't go for a used but hopefully I can convince her.
On a side note I refuse to get older...
Just the other day my buddy came over with his 250 with his tailgate down. I eyeballed it and said "I think I can get back there without a ladder". His eyebrow went up. (His son can just stand there and jump into the back. You can't let that go) Well, what do you know. At 49, 5"10 and a deceptive 235lbs, I still have some hop in me! Managed to clear 38" with a one step jump without pulling my arse. I did sit down on the tailgate to get down though. Looks a lot higher when your up there.
Took a bit more effort than when I was 20 that's for sure. A lot more. In fact, let's go all the way I may option out a lift gate tailgate. Haha.
Brandon T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 08:36 PM   #240
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Brandon, I think if you wait until the end of this calendar year, there will be plenty of folks looking at the 2020s who are dumping 2018-19 trucks that have the ladder built into the tailgate (very cool feature IMHO).

No way I could jump up onto this tailgate...
nryn is offline   Reply With Quote