Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2018, 11:28 PM   #201

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albireo View Post
Narayan

It is the aftermarket systems that give you the audible alarms and the other features discussed. From my understanding the Ford system for trailers only informs you that the tires are low. No audible alarm.
Ford's TPMS only monitors pressure (not temperature) but it DOES give an audible warning when a tire goes below the pressure threshold, and even if you weren't looking at the TPMS display in the info center in the gauge cluster, a window comes up warning that a tire is low at the same time as the tone is sounded. I don't know how quickly it responds to the pressure dropping, though.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 06:25 AM   #202
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Galt , California
tire monitor

I too, have the additional TPSM (TST) system. I also like that it is wireless, and sits in front of the speaker. As my wife serves as navigator, I mounted the trailer rear view monitor on Velcro, and placed it on the dash above the glove box. Making sure however, that it did not interfere with the air bag.
absteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 10:53 AM   #203
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Ford's TPMS only monitors pressure (not temperature) but it DOES give an audible warning when a tire goes below the pressure threshold, and even if you weren't looking at the TPMS display in the info center in the gauge cluster, a window comes up warning that a tire is low at the same time as the tone is sounded. I don't know how quickly it responds to the pressure dropping, though.
Well, that's better than no warning. Perhaps they will include temperature reading in the future...still, it's a couple hundred $$ more than the TST system. I do like the fact the camera and the tire pressures would use the built in displays a lot. Would be nice if Ford would have allowed for universal interface of the AS stock camera and other TPMS systems to integrate into their readouts...

NRYN- When you get your new F250 from Ford, I believe the TPMS will come in a box, which you may have to install yourself? That is what the dealer here in Austin told me; said he did his own install and it was not too bad, just had to connect into his wiring harness. I could not find a dealer here nor in Montana at the Ford dealerships that had done this nor was interested in doing it (installation), so that also drove me to the TST system; several youtube installations of this device. Hope yours goes easier. Let us know how it all works out.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 12:17 PM   #204
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
NRYN- When you get your new F250 from Ford, I believe the TPMS will come in a box, which you may have to install yourself? That is what the dealer here in Austin told me; said he did his own install and it was not too bad, just had to connect into his wiring harness. I could not find a dealer here nor in Montana at the Ford dealerships that had done this nor was interested in doing it (installation), so that also drove me to the TST system; several youtube installations of this device. Hope yours goes easier. Let us know how it all works out.
Yessir. It's on me to install both the TPMS and the Ford-system camera on the Airstream. And by "install" I mean hand it over to my dealer's service department...

(I am more than comfortable doing installs but they're going to be doing some other work on the trailer anyway)
nryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 06:52 AM   #205
Rivet Master

2023 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Chgo. N.W. Burb's , Illinois
MPG & Comments

2018 F250XLT 6.2L Gas . Short Bed ,Super Cab. With ARE Cap. Recent trips MPG. 13 hrs of towing.
Towing a 26U Trailer. Approx. 7000# Mix with and without Tow/Haul.
At 55 =12.5 MPG, 60= 11MPG, and 65 = 9 MPG. Use Cruise. Tow's trailer Very Good.
Ride can be a little rough,sometimes . A High Step to get In. Learning the info and entertainment center. ??? Love the IBC.and mirror's. So far so Good.
knunut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 07:15 AM   #206
1 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Corpus Christi , Texas
[QUOTE=nryn;2163965] And by "install" I mean hand it over to my dealer's service department... )/QUOTE]

cchog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 09:29 AM   #207
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
I do have Ford's TPMS and the camera. The tire sensors go inside the trailer tires so a little tricky to install. The camera is simply great. Why Ford did not do this with Blue Tooth I don't know. That would have made it much simpler.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:16 AM   #208
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by graysailor View Post
I do have Ford's TPMS and the camera. The tire sensors go inside the trailer tires so a little tricky to install. The camera is simply great. Why Ford did not do this with Blue Tooth I don't know. That would have made it much simpler.
Thanks for that! Yea, Bluetooth would have been great for both camera and TPMS compatibility to their display.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 11-14-2018, 08:35 PM   #209
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Delivered

I thought I’d start the final chapter in this crazy long thread. Yesterday, I picked up my 2019 F-250, 9 weeks after placing my order. First thing I did after the salesperson handed me the key was to look at the payload sticker: 2874 lbs. Perfect. I then gave the truck a pretty thorough once-over, took it for a spin, and signed the papers. I was really hoping they’d forget about the check writing part of the vehicle acquisition ceremony, but sadly they were quite looking forward to that bit.

The cabin is incredible. By most standards my daily driver is a pretty darn nice car, and with the exception of the seats (for my bad back, no one competes with Volvo on that front, in my experience) I don’t think the F-250 is a slacker in any way. The kids absolutely love it and even though we all need a crane to get into the damn thing (the power running boards help immensely), we’re all looking forward to having some incredible adventures in it.

I decided a couple of weeks after ordering to go with a cap on the bed, so sometime in the next week or two my ARE Z-series cap will come in and be installed along with a bed rug. It won’t be until March that I get to tow an Airstream with it, but it’ll see some light farm duty between now and then.

I learned a lot from this thread and I know at least a couple of you in the same situation have also found it useful, which is great because that was the point. It’s true that threads about towing vehicles (and so many other things) tend to descend quickly into religious wars and I want to thank everyone who contributed in ways that helped this thread stay largely away from that curse. In case it helps someone in the future, here’s the basic decision framework I came up with for myself. As a refresher—I’ll be traveling with my family and bikes and an Airstream 27FB Twin. The “with family” bit is quite important because a) I get the impression that most Airstreamers travel as singles or couples and b) the weight of two extra people and gear (depending on the weight of those people and their gear, obviously) really does matter.

The F-150 was (sadly) out of the running not due to towing but due to payload and rear axle weight ratings. I’m pretty sure it could and would do the job but for me, anyway, with a level of logistical difficulty and/or risk I wasn’t willing to take on. Since placing my order for the 250 I have heard back from several friends and acquaintances that tow trailers that weigh roughly the same as the GT27 and without exception they all wish they had a bigger truck. Based purely on numbers, I think that while any F-series truck can pull just about any Airstream, a 150 would be the perfect truck for any Airstream under 25’ (25’ seems to be where the tongue weights jump up), with 25’ and above requiring some due diligence on the balance between truck options and payload/rear axle weight ratings.

The F-350 (or 250 with max tow) would have been my choice if I was going with a diesel engine, but for a variety of reasons I did not want a diesel engine. I did not need the extra 1,000 lbs of payload the 350 affords and wanted a better ride when not towing. So the 250 fit the bill quite nicely.

And just to beat everyone to it, no, I don’t think you need a big truck (or a truck at all) to tow safely. I looked at other vehicles as well but went this route. I still wish I could have gotten away with the 150 but I think that since I’m fortunate enough to have a great car for daily driving, as a tow-only vehicle the 250 will be a better fit for me my family, and our Airstream adventures. I have zero regrets.

TowPorg (its name) currently has 36 miles on it. By the end of next year it may have as much as 17,000 (which is more than I’ve ever put on a car in even two years). Thanks again for all the help.

Postscript: Also in the interest of helping folks out, here’s my build. The only things I’d change about it would be to leave the stowable loading ramps and the bed extender out, but that’s because I decided afterwards to get a cap. I’d probably also get the TPMS without the camera, since the Airstream I’ve ordered already has a camera. These items are all really nice, though, and with the exception of the camera, have already been sold.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C93CE2D9-FC41-4217-BE50-450675584C8A.jpeg
Views:	90
Size:	906.2 KB
ID:	327893   Click image for larger version

Name:	0455E452-D64D-4D38-9296-EB348AC7D1CE.jpeg
Views:	109
Size:	853.3 KB
ID:	327894  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1F2676F4-A7CA-49FC-9CFD-13F0021A4C97.jpeg
Views:	95
Size:	676.0 KB
ID:	327895  
Old 11-14-2018, 08:40 PM   #210
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Nice pickup. Enjoy
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 09:48 PM   #211
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Looks like a great truck. You did your homework.

I did mine also before I bought my Tundra in 2008. I have never looked back. I love my Tundra.

I bought a Lear cap because I had always wanted one and thought they were the best. I was wrong. I didn’t do my homework. ARE caps are the best. Glad you are getting one.

Enjoy your truck!

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 09:53 PM   #212
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Thanks for the update, nryn.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 04:59 AM   #213
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Frederick , Maryland
Looks awesome! Because I don't think far enough a head I had to buy off one of the local lots and though your color combo is the one I wanted I couldn't find it with the truck I needed so I have black/black. We have tan interior in our other car and I've always like how it brightens up the inside. Now it is time to start filling that truck full of memories! Safe travels.
DewTheDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 06:10 AM   #214
Wolfwhistle

Margaritaville , Banana Republic
nryn,
Nice follow up and photos. That is one beautiful bad-ass truck. After my comments and suggestions, I traded my 6.2 250 on a 150 3.5 Ecoboost. XLT 302A packsge. Michelins in 20” PVD wheels, Ruby red, Supercab 6.5’ bed. Added Husky mud guards, max liner mats...wired it for AS backup camera and added the spare camera in front. And threw the bed cover off of the 250 on it. Oh, and bought a Bed Rug. I want to have clear paint protector put in forward painted parts. I absolutely love the truck. Pulling “Home Remedy” a 23FB IS with 580# tongue weight at near 6000# GVWR, it got 13.6 mpg to North Carolina and back. Running solo it gets about 23. Not to mention it is the quickest vehicle on 4 wheels I have ever owned. 0-60 is amazing. Stopping too, utterly amazing for a truck. Payload 1872# since it has the 6900# GVWR. Thought for sure I was going with the 7850# but I just don’t need that. Actually found an XLT standard cab long bed thusly eauipped. 2911# on the payload sticker. The standard cab just won’t do but was tempting. Incentives on mine was right at $10K making their no trade in price of right at $39K. Murray Ford in Kingsland GA. Working with David was a pleasure. Went there to order but decided to look for certain options, and found the one I need rather than the one I thought I needed.
Old 11-15-2018, 06:36 AM   #215
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
It'd be great if you could hit the scales before you add anything to the truck just to see how accurate that payload sticker is. You will be eating up some of it with the cap and bedrug, I have an A.R.E. cap, carpet kit and 2 shelves in mine but I never weighed the truck without all of that so I don't know where I started.
Old 11-15-2018, 06:39 AM   #216
4 Rivet Member

2008 28' International
Happy Valley , Pennsylvania
Great looking truck! Love the tan interior...And I am not even a Ford Guy
malinois38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 07:31 AM   #217
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Nice. Here is your future! Safe travels from another happy 6.2/ARE owner traveling with family.Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4262.jpeg
Views:	85
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	327911
Old 11-15-2018, 11:43 AM   #218
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
NRYN- nice job! Please keep us informed on the mileage as you brake it in...understand no AS for few more months. Question for you ARE topper folks; I see you mentioning the "carpet" in the rear; I have the rubber mat from Ford, but been considering a topper and sliding tray on the deck of the bed. Does anyone have this combination? Pro's/Con's are appreciated..it's a bit of an investment for both and of course, it will take up some payload...
Old 11-15-2018, 06:04 PM   #219
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Thanks, all.

@ITSN060–that’s a really good idea. The cap won’t get installed until next Tuesday (assuming it arrives tomorrow). So I’ll find some time this weekend or on Monday to go get the beast weighed (and figure out how to do that...)

@ScottInNJ—Awesome. Do you put the bikes on top of the cap or inside?

@gypsydad—I decided against the slide for a number of reasons. One was payload. The other was height—I think to get the bikes (folders) into the bed, it’ll be easiest if I have more vertical space. The second reason was if I were to get a slide, I’d really only want it to be half of the width of the bed (perhaps down the middle) so I could store taller things on either side. In any case, I can always get one later or make one myself (I make furniture). But I’ll start with the cap and bedrug and go from there.

@wolfwhistle—that is an amazing price for a great truck. I assume that longbed, 2900lb payload truck you found was an HDPP (which kind of surprises me, I didn’t think the HDPP was possible in longbed). Per my “framework,” if I were sub 25’, I’d be in a 150 in a heartbeat. Congrats on the new truck!
Old 11-15-2018, 07:01 PM   #220
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
NRYN- nice job! Please keep us informed on the mileage as you brake it in...understand no AS for few more months. Question for you ARE topper folks; I see you mentioning the "carpet" in the rear; I have the rubber mat from Ford, but been considering a topper and sliding tray on the deck of the bed. Does anyone have this combination? Pro's/Con's are appreciated..it's a bit of an investment for both and of course, it will take up some payload...
My shelves and carpet kit are home made. I have a rear shelf made from Birch plywood and 2x4s that holds 3 large totes and a side shelf that straddles the wheel well made of angle iron and expanded metal and holds one large ice chest plus a tote with dry food. The carpet kit is simply 3 layers of thick, plush carpet cut to fit snugly. All of that is for when I go fishing in Mexico, I sleep back there. Keeps it very organized but also adds weight.