Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-13-2019, 03:50 PM   #61
DRJJL

1985 31' Sovereign
Poway , California
A suburban is only useful for towing if it is a 2500 with 6 L engine or 8L engine with tow package and the larger U joint rear axle (423?). STAY AWAY from GMC which only came as 1500’s and the 1500 suburban. I know someone who has an older 2500 suburban which is diesel but he plans to be buried in it (won’t give it up).
SUVs weigh more than their truck cousins which adds to total weight.

It’s not what you can pull but WHAT YOU CAN STOP GOING DOWNHILL IN A CROSSWIND!!!

You need to take one of the online classes in TOWING and learn about GVWC and all that AND ADD WEIGHT OF WIFE AND KIDS AS THEY GROW to account for ALL the weight. Plus all the stuff you stuff into the truck and trailer.

Pick the best vehicle you can and don’t forget looking for used vehicles with more tow capacity.
Old 10-13-2019, 04:54 PM   #62
1 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
Denton , Texas
Former Tundra owner

We have had Toyota’s for years and loved them, however after doing extensive research and many conversations with Toyota we discovered we need more payload. Toyota is a good truck but if you intend to bring along normal camping gear or family you don’t have much payload. Better off going with a 3/4 ton.
We switched to a DODGE Ram 2500 and couldn’t be happier.
Took our current set up to the Escapees Weigh Master to have our unit checked and everything was in a good range. If we had the Tundra we would have been well over our tongue weight. We were die hard Tundra owners, so our only input is do your research first instead of later like we did.
csrichey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 05:55 PM   #63
3 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
ROSWELL , Georgia
Diesel Suburbans

Quote:
Originally Posted by m rafferty View Post
Sure wish they made a 2500 Suburban, better yet with a diesel.
I had one with an 8.1 liter engine and it would pass anything but a gas station.
I’ve had two suburbans, two Tahoe’s, and now a 2500 GMC Duramax. Any 2500 Or 3500 Diesel is the best for towing any AS 25’ and up. (I said towing, not daily driver)��
I work for DURAMAX SPECIALTIES, a company that rebuilds 2500 Suburbans with the 6.6L Duramax diesel/6sp Allison transmission conversion.,located in Woodstock(Atlanta)Georgia.Check out their FaceBook page and see some of their builds.I have one.The towing capacity is sufficient for all Airstreams and the mileage is greater than the 6.0 or 8.1 gas motors.Pricing runs(according to optional equipment),between used and new Suburbans and is quite a ‘bang for your buck’.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A7DF4C2F-6AF5-46F5-AB49-F0F5FD11AC95.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	420.5 KB
ID:	354191   Click image for larger version

Name:	9B1F054D-B2E0-4FD2-874F-00E9EE698C9A.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	458.7 KB
ID:	354192  

mikesSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 06:02 PM   #64
2 Rivet Member

1993 34' Excella
Barry's Bay , ON
Expedition MAX

I can’t add any new considerations for you but I’m another super happy expedition Max owner. It’s by far the best tow vehicle I’ve owned.
LiamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 08:55 PM   #65
Air Al

2010 25' FB International
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to alreed
Our 2012 Tundra had a payload of only 1360 lbs, which isn't enough for our 25 ft AS when you add us, two dogs, camper shell, water and stuff we haul in the pickup. We upgraded to 1/2 ton GMC with over 1900 lbs payload. to put us on the safer side of the payload issue. Think payload in your decision--it's important.
alreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 09:41 PM   #66
1 Rivet Member

2009 16' International
Austin , Texas
Tow vehicle

I purchased a Toyota Sequoia. It is like a truck but wow the extra space is great. Also a 6 seater.
I LOVE LOVE LOVE driving this car truck.
It should be able to pull the 25ft. I purchased to accommodate a larger airstream in the future.
Claire Bambi
ClaireBambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 07:03 AM   #67
1 Rivet Member

2018 19' Tommy Bahama
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Toyota vote

Wow! Everyone has made valid and thoughtful suggestions! Regarding the Tundra...there is a saying on the internet: after the apocalypse there will only be cockroaches and Toyota trucks left. It is apparent you have several really good options, so personal preference will be your ultimate decision maker. We purchased a 2019 Toyota Land Cruiser after looking at the Tundra. Reliability of Land Cruisers is legendary and we are quite happy with ours. But.... it is our first Toyota ever, so time will tell if the hype is true!
Golfingma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 09:11 AM   #68
1 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Fort Collins , Colorado
Great choice on the LandCruiser. They’re indestructible and factory ready for just about anything. I’ve owned 5 Cruisers in my lifetime. I still have our 2000 LX470 with 240,000 miles on it. All of my kids learned to drive in it and it’s still going strong - brakes, belts and fluids is all it’s ever needed. I’m so confident it’s got another 100K miles left on it (at least), I just put a new set of BFG TA KO2 tires on. I would’ve easily recommended the Cruiser but you didn’t mention the sky’s the limit! It’s the last vehicle you’ll ever need. Everything else is a downgrade.
ColoradoBCer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 09:31 AM   #69
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by m rafferty View Post
Sure wish they made a 2500 Suburban, better yet with a diesel.
I had one with an 8.1 liter engine and it would pass anything but a gas station.
I’ve had two suburbans, two Tahoe’s, and now a 2500 GMC Duramax. Any 2500 Or 3500 Diesel is the best for towing any AS 25’ and up. (I said towing, not daily driver)��
They actually DO!
Used mainly by the secret service, for protecting POTUS and the FBI. It is absolutely a special order... and it still gets about 12 mpg... 11.5 towing.
Failing that, Google "Duraburb" an outfit that puts a Suburban body on a 2500 diesel frame and powertrain.
Old 10-14-2019, 06:57 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by csrichey View Post
We switched to a DODGE Ram 2500 and couldn’t be happier.

I've got a new GMC DuraMax on order, but the labor situation is pushing delivery out indefinitely. This gives me the opportunity to look at other makes. I did a bit of Ram shopping over the weekend, and I'm surprised to see extremely low payload capacities on the 2500 Cummins models. I was seeing 1600-1700 lbs. for a few of the models I looked at. My tongue weight alone is 1100 lbs. so I would need to go to a 3500 to stay within payload limits when we're all loaded up....which is absolutely crazy to me. What is the payload capacity for your Ram?
jaybauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 06:20 AM   #71
Rivet Master

2009 34' Panamerica
2005 28' Classic
Still , in the thick of it
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjudy View Post
A suburban is only useful for towing if it is a 2500 with 6 L engine or 8L engine with tow package and the larger U joint rear axle (423?).
I respectfully disagree. The 1500 Suburban (which is the only version available the last few years as there are no more 2500s being made) is more than enough to tow a 25' trailer as the OP eluded to.

If fact, if you went the GMC or Caddy route, you'd be able to get your hands on the 6.2L gasser which in my opinion is a far better engine than the standard 5.3L.

For the record, GM never offered 4.23 in the back en of the their trucks the last 10 or so years I can recall, and the "u-joints" are the same, the only difference in the main drive line is the rear axle. It's been 3.42, 3.73 or 4.10. I think the 1/2 ton burb and upper end siblings get either 3.42 or 3.73, but don't quote me on that, I'm going off memory which isn't as sharp as it once was.... but the 3/4 ton came with 3.73 or optional 4.10s.

The other thing the 3/4 used to get was upgraded hubs, transmission and engine, rear springs (coil vs leaf) but that is basically the meat and potatoes between the 3/4 and 1/2. Again, either flavor more than up to the task of a 25' Airstream.

Wonder if we scared off the OP....I haven't seen any responses since the initial question was made a while back....
panamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 06:27 AM   #72
Rivet Master

2009 34' Panamerica
2005 28' Classic
Still , in the thick of it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
They actually DO!
Used mainly by the secret service, for protecting POTUS and the FBI. It is absolutely a special order... and it still gets about 12 mpg... 11.5 towing.
Failing that, Google "Duraburb" an outfit that puts a Suburban body on a 2500 diesel frame and powertrain.

This is now the 1 ton Suburban, 3/4 ton is no longer manufactured and oddly enough, stock tow rating of the 1 ton is less than that of what the then 3/4 ton had. It is ONLY available to fleet customers (which FBI, DHS, POTUS, etc would qualify)....but I second the Duramax powered Suburban wholeheartedly.
panamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 12:49 PM   #73
1 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Farwell , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loftfield View Post
Hi everyone,
We need some serious help! Our family has started to look for Airstreams and are thinking we will be in the 25 ft range. However, we are having trouble deciding what vehicle to tow it with. Could I get some help deciding if we are better off with a 2014 ( or newer) Tundra or a 2014 (or newer) Suburban. Or neither??? Haha!
We tow an 2019 FC25’FB with a 2008 Tundra 5.7 double cab. We traveled 15k this year out to the mountains and back from MI. So I’ve got plenty of horsepower plenty of foot pounds of torque. The problem I have and you will too is my payload as previously mentioned or total cargo capacity. With my Reese anti-sway load Leveling hitch the tongue weight of our camper is between 900 and thousand pounds subtract that from my total cargo capacity of 1430 maximum I have just enough poundage remaining for my wife and dog and a full tank of gas with no available additional or I should say very little additional capacity to carry anything in the bed of our tundra. So the solution is smaller camper or stay away from a 25 foot front bed or jump up to a three-quarter ton or even 1 ton truck which is what we plan to do at some point in the future.
Peace
smvanhoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 11:43 AM   #74
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Coyote , New Mexico
When it comes to towing, stopping your towed unit is THE MAJOR CONSIDERATION. A lot of the tow vehicles referenced are good at pulling loads (TT) but how about those down hill roads you will be towing on. Will your tow vehicle stay straight and true under a panic stop? Some of the respondents also touched on the reason for choosing a tow vehicle - will it be a daily driver? Will it primarily be used for hauling family or payloads? One person said you need to look into all the aspects of a tow vehicle and that is more then just towing. Good luck to you!
Maxroadster is offline   Reply With Quote