Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2019, 01:42 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
I've got about 30,000 miles pulling our 2014 25 FB (specifically an Eddie Bauer model) all around the US with our 2014 Tundra (crewmax, limited, 4x4 with the 5.7L V8).

For us, it's a good combination and has taken us over the Rockies four times, across the plains in 100 degree heat and below sea level.

On the plus side, I find the Tundra to be rock solid, reliable and easy (cheap) to maintain.

The biggest limiting factors with our Tundra in this role are 1. payload 2. gas mileage and 3. range on a full tank.

You mention "family". That implies more than two people (most of our travel is just us two retired folk plus whatever assortment of dogs we have at the time). You may find that a Tundra with a 25' Airstream behind, a family, gear in the truck bed, etc. would be loaded far beyond the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating assigned by Toyota for that vehicle.

This Forum is a great place to learn about actual weights (many of us visit CAT scales regularly to manage weight and weight distribution issues), loading issues and option no, weight distribution, etc.. Suburbans may have similar issues, I've never owned one and don't know.

I'd suggest you consider how you'll travel and ask more questions to engage the people whose experiences most closely match how you will actually travel.
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 02:45 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Venice , Florida
From a life safety standpoint, if you will ever carry a generator, gas can, propane, or any hazardous material, a pickup has separation from the hazmat & you.
harryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 03:30 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' International CCD
Saint Paul , Minnesota
Do yourself a favor, 3/4 or one ton Diesel. You’ll never regret it. Generators, gas cans et al do better in pickup bed than in an SUV not to mention load, weight and towing limitations. Ours is a Duramax pulling a 28’ Int. 200k miles including 15 rt’s to Alaska among many others. No problems anywhere. Few engine lights solved mostly with black tape. Glow plugs!!!
Mhphhoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 03:34 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' International CCD
Saint Paul , Minnesota
Yes a 3/4 ton’s bumpy. One gets used to it but it pulls.
Mhphhoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 05:06 PM   #25
Retired Navy Veteran

1964 26' Overlander
Warner Robins , Georgia
Piggy Bank said it correctly early in this thread. Check out the payload on the Tundra’s. You will notice great reviews of Tundras, but few if any talk about their payload. Most Tundras I have seen have between 1100 to 1200 lbs payload/cargo capacity. If you have a topper at about 200 lbs, that payload is now down to about 1000 lb payload. For conversation, say you have 800 lb tongue weight, you are now down to 200 lb payload. Add driver and passenger at 300 lbs and you are over your payload with an empty back seat and bed of the truck. Is it any wonder why these Tundra owners do not share their limited payload yet praise reliability? While I love Toyota’s, you need to research the weights that you need to meet with your camping style. After about 20,000 miles towing our 26 foot AS with an F150 with 1400 lb payload, we moved up to a 3/4 ton with 3500 lb payload (2WD and gas engine) and could not be happier. Anyone telling you towing MPG should impact your buy decision has not done the math. Everyone I know towing with a gas 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton is getting between 9 and 11 MPG. If a diesel owner says they get 13 MPG while towing, remember these three things:
1. 2019 F250 Diesel, 6 speed transmission costs $9,200! Our 6.2 gas cost $0 extra.
2. Diesel fuel costs a lot more than regular gas
3. Oil change for diesel takes how many gallons of oil and two gas line filters = much higher cost for maintenance on the diesel.
IF you can fit your family into a crew cab pickup, and you have an estimate on the weight you want to carry in the bed combined with your tongue weight, you will have a great idea on which vehicles can meet your needs.

As I have mentioned in earlier posts, stop by a campground and see what other campers are towing their trailers with. Ask the owners if their TV’s are meeting their needs. Most are pickups and at Airstream parks, you will see a lot of 3/4 tons.

This is a time to enjoy the search and when you get on the road, and then enjoy meeting a lot of wonderful AS owners. Join an Airstream club, attend some Rallies and you will be warmly embraced as a new family member!
superChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 06:08 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2018 16' Sport
1962 22' Safari
Corvallis , Oregon
Tundra

I own a 2018 Tundra, the payload is about 1500 lbs. But one of the reason I like the TV is when I am not towing the trailer. With work and family, the Tundra is a nice ride and it tow my trailer and my gear just fine. I have the smaller 16 Bambi, so no 25 footer, but when I was at the International in Salem, there were plenty of Tundras pulling 25 footers. The rig got to fit the use and the life style. I used to own a F350 diesel, loved it towing in the summer, but rough ride the rest of the year. iMHO
WBCCI #7944
skitger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 08:23 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Oviedo , Florida
2019 GMC 1500 SLT Max tow Pack

We tow a 2018 27 FB(7600#)with a 2019 GMC Sierra SLT Crew Cab short bed with 6.2L 10 spd trans, Max Tow Package. Door sticker shows 17,600# GCW. Leer Cap. Just got back to Florida after 6700 miles, 11.8mpg, Went I-10 to El Paso, then north to and xcountry to Sedona, Williams, Brice, Arches I-70 to Breckenridge, Denver, St Louis, Knoxville, I-26 south. Truck runs strong at posted speeds limited top speed to 72mph./1800rpm. Has 425hp. Smooth safe, comfortable, max rpm was 4000/65mph/4th gear as engine brake going down 7* slope between Breckenridge and Denver. GMC ran perfectly great combination short enough to maneuver in parking lots, gas stations and around and tru towns. Strong strong truck, 3 rd GMC since 2005 all traded at 178-200k miles. Our recommendation.
David2638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 12:23 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Rancho Murieta , California
Those are two completely different vehicles. If both are equal in the tow department, then figure out which one suits your personal needs. You’re percentage of towing time is pretty low.
Ronman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 06:03 AM   #29
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Asking for TV opinions on this site is just asking for trouble; especially from the Ford fan-boy club, who use scare tactics, (you're going to die if you drive foreign???).

For complete expert advise, that doesn't care if it's domestic or foreign, and will understand the capabilities, and deficiencies of every tow vehicle out there; send Andy Thompson at Can-am RV in London Ontario an e-mail.

Give him as much information as possible, re number of passengers, toys and stuff, (generator, kayaks etc, etc) you'd like to take with you; model of AS you want to buy and rough budget for tow vehicle. Ask Andy to send back a list of tow vehicles that he would buy going from best to least.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 07:00 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2009 34' Panamerica
2005 28' Classic
Still , in the thick of it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loftfield View Post
Hi everyone,
We need some serious help! Our family has started to look for Airstreams and are thinking we will be in the 25 ft range. However, we are having trouble deciding what vehicle to tow it with. Could I get some help deciding if we are better off with a 2014 ( or newer) Tundra or a 2014 (or newer) Suburban. Or neither??? Haha!

Having been down this path, you are not yet at that empty nester fork in the road.

When you add kids into the mix, you need internal space. You can't (legally) have kids in a pickup bed (cover or no).

I would wholeheartedly suggest the Suburban. One- for it's long history of towing chops, and two it has the internal space a family needs.

If it were just the two of you and a pet or two, pickup-- all the way.

I've been unimpressed with the Ford SUV offerings (personal opinion based on owning one) and by far to the point of non-consideration, anything Dodge (again personal opinion based on weak offering, and many friends that have had 3+ transmissions in 100k miles). GM has also watered down the Suburban in terms of no 3/4 ton offering and their displacement on demand has a lot to be desired- long term. Regardless, the Suburban has both the wheelbase for a 25er or slightly larger, the interior space for kids (and amenities to help reduce the "are we there yet"). 130" is really the shortest wheelbase you want for around a 25' trailer.

You won't go wrong with the Suburban. They are real workhorses. Perfect? No, but compared to other offerings in the same class, it really is a no brainer (esp with kids).

I terms of contacting Can-Am, I would be very hesitant to go down that path. I find their methods questionable at best.
panamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 07:01 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
Asking for TV opinions on this site is just asking for trouble; especially from the Ford fan-boy club, who use scare tactics, (you're going to die if you drive foreign???).

For complete expert advise, that doesn't care if it's domestic or foreign, and will understand the capabilities, and deficiencies of every tow vehicle out there; send Andy Thompson at Can-am RV in London Ontario an e-mail.

Give him as much information as possible, re number of passengers, toys and stuff, (generator, kayaks etc, etc) you'd like to take with you; model of AS you want to buy and rough budget for tow vehicle. Ask Andy to send back a list of tow vehicles that he would buy going from best to least.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony
You can review safety ratings and compare vehicles. They are very different.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 07:06 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Is there a chance you might actually want to buy a bigger trailer than the 25'?
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 07:13 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Also consider a full size van. Storage space and you don't have to plunk down ANOTHER $3000 for a topper. And access from side or rear door.
I agree, vans are good.
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 07:29 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
First, I own a Tundra and bought it for reliability.
I would never buy a GM Suburban, although an SUV might fit your needs.
I'd ask you to tell us what you need the truck to do. Only tow the AS or be the daily driver too? I got a half ton so I could get in and out without a stepladder, and park in a normal space at the grocery.
How about a compromise? The Toyota Sequioa or Land Cruiser. 5.7 engine.
Although towing is limited to 8100# that's still plenty.
Trucks are the most versatile, but don't always fit your family.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 07:30 AM   #35
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by panamerican View Post

I terms of contacting Can-Am, I would be very hesitant to go down that path. I find their methods questionable at best.
Based on what evidence? Is this statement based on experience or just conjecture and personal opinion? On what basis do you question a person who owns a reputable Airstream business and has setup thousands of tow vehicles, written hundreds of reports on TV's?

I know of many people on this site that have had great success with this company and Andy setting up their TV's.

You may not agree with Andy and Can-am RV, and that's fine by me, but always preface your opinion, by stating that it's just your opinion, and or, not based on experience or evidence.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

PS I personally wouldn't choose the Suburban due to reliability issues, especially transmission issues; but that's my personal opinion.

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 07:36 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loftfield View Post
Hi everyone,
We need some serious help! Our family has started to look for Airstreams and are thinking we will be in the 25 ft range. However, we are having trouble deciding what vehicle to tow it with. Could I get some help deciding if we are better off with a 2014 ( or newer) Tundra or a 2014 (or newer) Suburban. Or neither??? Haha!
Brand/vehicle manufacturer does not matter, except if you have a preference. (I'm partial to Chevy, but that's my opinion)

What matters is the tow vehicles capacity to carry the load (people and their stuff), while at the same time towing the weight of the loaded trailer.

Do some math based on specifications of the vehicle choices. Figure it out based on the door sticker of the tow vehicle, since there is variation in the equipment and load capacities of vehicles that look exactly the same.
(gross tow vehicle weight + gross trailer weight = {should be equal to or less than} combined vehicle weight rating capacity of the tow vehicle)

When making your vehicle choice you may want to think about separating unpleasant things, like fuel for a generator or a sewerage tote, from the passengers inside.

ps:
I see this is your first post. Welcome to the AirForums!
Old 10-07-2019, 08:55 AM   #37
pmt
1 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
saint albans , West Virginia
I tow with 2010 tundra 2 wheel drive with 10k tow package. 85k miles on truck. A 28 ft rear twin AS no problems so far great truck and trailer match up for me..
pmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 01:25 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Keep Payload in mind

As far as reliability, the Tundra is best hands down. We have a 2015 Tundra and have pulled our 23D all over the country with zero problems.

However, if you want to carry a bunch of stuff, you will be limited by the payload capacity of the Tundra. I’m at the Albuquerque Ballon Fiesta right now among 150 Airstreams. There are people here pulling 25-30’ AS with a Tundra. Power isn’t the issue; it’s payload.

We’re moving up to a 28’ AS. While the Tundra has the power to pull it, I’d most likely be overweight on total payload.

Sadly we’re selling the Tundra. Replacing it with an F350 Diesel. If the F350 provides reliability anywhere near the Tundra, I’ll be a happy man. I know the F350 will do a great job of towing and carrying all our planned stuff.

...keeping my fingers crossed...
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 08:17 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Attleboro , Massachusetts
I suggest that beyond pickup truck vs SUV vs van the most important criteria should be CGVW (Combined Gross Vehicle Weight) Tow ratings alone are misleading.
romeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 08:48 PM   #40
1 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
Mackay , Idaho
Why buy a Toy? Go for the quality, comfort, and brawn of a real tow vehicle and get the Suburban. Make it a Denali while you’re at it. [emoji631]
Gmccloskey is offline   Reply With Quote