Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-01-2019, 06:32 AM   #81
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
palm beach gardens , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
We are going to lots today to figure out exactly what we want. We are leaning towards the 6.2L Lariat. Depending on the subjective comfort of the leather seats, we might use seat covers or order one with cloth from the factory.
I came across a 2017 Lariat with <10k miles for 45k. Seems like something to seriously consider, however it is on a lot 2 hours away and I want to make sure I'm not wasting my time. I don't think there is a significant difference between the 2017 and 2019 Lariats- Am I missing something?
Lastly, I have not seen anything in the 2020s to make me want to wait for them. My AS is a 25FC which is easily towed with the capability of the 6.2L. Am I missing anything?
Thanks
What you’re missing with gas versus diesel is 450 torque versus 900
Starlight Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 07:21 AM   #82
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
I have a 2019 250 6.2L and a 27’ Globetrotter. Just took it to Alaska—was awesome. If you want diesel (I did not, for several reasons), consider the 350, which will balance out some of the payload cost of the heavier diesel engine (it adds about 900 lbs if I remember correctly).

A 2017 250 for all intents and purposes is the same truck as the 2019. I know the 2020s have a much larger gas engine (7.2 or 7.3L) and a new transmission; both of those are good enhancements but I was very happy with my 2019’s performance on the Alaska trip. In general I really don’t like large trucks (I’m a city boy) but on this trip I was was extremely glad I went with the 250 over the 150.

There is a lot of variability on build costs even with a Lariat (cab size, bed, options, etc.) so it’s hard to say whether $45k on a 2017, low mileage or not, is a good deal. I’d price out the exact 2019 (2020 now I think) you *would* order and decide for yourself whether the difference in cost and options for the used vehicle is worth it. They won’t handle any differently, though if it’s a 2020 it will in theory be much more powerful and shift more smoothly.

Re: leather I have the Ultimate package on the Lariat and find the leather seats comfortable and the ventilation a very handy feature this summer. I hear they are even more comfortable in higher trims (King Ranch, Platinum) but do not remember that from my test rides. Having 2 kids (and 2 dogs, who did not come on this trip) the leather was very easy to clean (I wiped down the truck interior every 2.5 weeks or so on an 80-day trip). I also really appreciated the LED headlights and everyone loved the power-deployed running boards (which descend a few inches lower than the stationary ones, making it easier to climb into the cab).
Old 09-01-2019, 08:21 AM   #83
1 Rivet Member

Dike , IA
Quote:
We are going to lots today to figure out exactly what we want. We are leaning towards the 6.2L Lariat. Depending on the subjective comfort of the leather seats, we might use seat covers or order one with cloth from the factory.
I came across a 2017 Lariat with <10k miles for 45k. Seems like something to seriously consider, however it is on a lot 2 hours away and I want to make sure I'm not wasting my time. I don't think there is a significant difference between the 2017 and 2019 Lariats- Am I missing something?
Lastly, I have not seen anything in the 2020s to make me want to wait for them. My AS is a 25FC which is easily towed with the capability of the 6.2L. Am I missing anything?
Thanks
Very little difference other than 2017 was the first year of the redesign. More towing gizmos were added as each year goes by, but I don't need or use them anyway. My wife's car has Blis and I ignore it. I prefer seeing what is behind me and not what a red dot tells me. The f250 tow mirrors are fantastic, especially the power fold/extend/spot lights/puddle light that comes on the Lariat over the XLT. The power extend is nice since you can put them out as far as you want. The blind spot mirror at the bottom is great, I can even see parking stripes.
2020 comes with a front grill and light redesign, new gas engine and 10 speed. That will be nice but the 6.2 is so strong, it's no reason for me. My only thought would be if someone wants to pull a 15k 5ver and doesn't want a diesel.
The seats are comfortable. When I had my XLT f150 I installed Katskins on them myself. I would say the quality of the Katskins is higher than the lariat leather. Lariats use leather in the center of the seats, and vinyl basically every where else including most of the rear seat. I don't care about that personally. Full leather is part of what you get when you step up in the platinum and limiteds.

For your trailer, and anything up to 11-12k, the 6.2 will be great. I went down the diesel road before my purchase, and for many many reasons i stuck with gas and never regretted it. Tows great, strong with my TT. And can fill up anywhere!

I had a 2012 lariat f150, then a XLT 2016 f150, and I knew on my 250 I definitely wanted the lariat trim again. Main reason was the cooled seats and duel climate! I like mine at 67 and wife at 75! Cooled seats are fantastic after you get hitched up on a hot summer day and hitting the road for several hours. Plus the tow mirrors are upgraded from the XLT. These are standard features on lariat trims over xlt. After that, the rest of the options you can get on the lariat are your preference.
ISUboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 08:40 AM   #84
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by m rafferty View Post
What you’re missing with gas versus diesel is 450 torque versus 900
And don't forget how quickly tires wear out with a diesel.
Old 09-01-2019, 09:27 AM   #85
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
And don't forget how quickly tires wear out with a diesel.
Haven't had a wear problem with my Michelins on my diesel. I got 55K on my first set in 2 years of towing the AS 22K miles...they still had good tread, but I wanted to get the sale price discount at Costco ($130) on new Michelins before my trip to MT, so I upgraded a bit early. (I am now at 65K miles on this trip with the new Michelines; 10K miles and no signs of wear; rotated twice so far.)

I still get 16-17MPG with my 6.7L and 13.2 pulling our 28...but I have no experience with the 6.2L to compare the difference in HP or torque. I did not drive the new 6.2L when I was looking few years back, going up from the F150EB to the F250 diesel...wife was sold on the King Ranch 6.7L diesel and I didn't want to argue!

Understand the $$ savings in fuel costs and maintenance over the 6.2L gas model, but not sure about longevity of that engine vs the 6.7L diesel... Would be interested in that data?
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 12:50 PM   #86
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Haven't had a wear problem with my Michelins on my diesel. I got 55K on my first set in 2 years of towing the AS 22K miles...they still had good tread, but I wanted to get the sale price discount at Costco ($130) on new Michelins before my trip to MT, so I upgraded a bit early. (I am now at 65K miles on this trip with the new Michelines; 10K miles and no signs of wear; rotated twice so far.)

I still get 16-17MPG with my 6.7L and 13.2 pulling our 28...but I have no experience with the 6.2L to compare the difference in HP or torque. I did not drive the new 6.2L when I was looking few years back, going up from the F150EB to the F250 diesel...wife was sold on the King Ranch 6.7L diesel and I didn't want to argue!

Understand the $$ savings in fuel costs and maintenance over the 6.2L gas model, but not sure about longevity of that engine vs the 6.7L diesel... Would be interested in that data?
My 6.2 gas engine was in great shape when I traded at 130,000 miles. It did well pulling our 27’ in mountains etc but used a lot of fuel. I traded for a 6.7 Cummins diesel which is superb for towing.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 01:37 PM   #87
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Quote:

I ran into a mining company vehicle fleet manager on the trip to Alaska and have a friend at home who runs a large landscaping business. They don’t know each other and so I take these as informed and independent data points. They both have a large number of Ford trucks and historically the overwhelming majority of them have been diesels. But both of them have been shifting to gas in their fleets over the last few years. They prefer the diesels but they both say that they “don’t make them like they used to,” and report (again, independently) that it’s the emissions add ons for the diesels that break first and that they are expensive to fix. Also that modern gas engines are more than adequate for their purposes.

That said, I did notice that they both drive diesels personally
Old 09-01-2019, 02:43 PM   #88
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Haven't had a wear problem with my Michelins on my diesel. I got 55K on my first set in 2 years of towing the AS 22K miles...they still had good tread, but I wanted to get the sale price discount at Costco ($130) on new Michelins before my trip to MT, so I upgraded a bit early. (I am now at 65K miles on this trip with the new Michelines; 10K miles and no signs of wear; rotated twice so far.
Heavy engine on front tires and tremendous torque on rear tires causes accelerated wear on tires. It's common knowledge at tires shops.
Old 09-02-2019, 08:36 PM   #89
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Savannah , Georgia
I appreciate all the input. Brought home a 2017 F250 Lariat 6.2L with <10k miles. My original post down played some of the available niceties but I am quickly becoming a huge fan; especially of cooled seats. Looking forward to getting the Equalizer reconfigured and our first trip..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rK5VkQsvQIu0lVFGccGl6Q.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	617.7 KB
ID:	351168  
Shazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 09:13 PM   #90
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Quote:
I appreciate all the input. Brought home a 2017 F250 Lariat 6.2L with <10k miles. My original post down played some of the available niceties but I am quickly becoming a huge fan; especially of cooled seats. Looking forward to getting the Equalizer reconfigured and our first trip..

Congratulations on the new truck. I like the ventilated seats too.
Old 09-02-2019, 10:17 PM   #91
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile

Quote:
I went for a second look at a F250 XL gas model and brought the Mrs along. She noticed two important omissions; no sliding rear window but most importantly, no a/c vents in the rear. That was a deal breaker. Especially in the 100 degree Georgia heat. For kicks we looked at upper trim lines which have rear vents, but we lose the middle front seat, gain carpet, and other bling which we are not interested in. More importantly, the bling costs us 900# of payload.
Then went to GMC dealer who only had upper trim line diesels on the lot. Even these $60k+ trucks did not have rear a/c vents. We looked at a 2018 Ram 2500 Larame with 25k miles on the lot which had small rear vents, 2 12V outlets, a 150W 115V plug, and no tow mirror (as well as more chrome than I like.) The seats were not as comfortable as the Ford.
We would buy the F250 XL if it had the rear vents. Any reason why manufacturers of these full size trucks with crew cabs can not provide cooling similar to what we have in our Yukon?
I have had many pu with rear slider 2 w/out last, I have now leaks like a sieve even in light rain never again a slider, IMO not nec. w/air cond. I leave windows up run air ears won't wind noise windows down, plus back draft w/slider open bad stuff flows in. I run open bed slider maybe ok w/cab high top or camper. IMO not worth extra cost from factory, if set on slider look for after market some very good ones plus easy to install or not exp. to have done plus less $$$.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 05:29 AM   #92
Stay Calm and Stream On

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Palm Springs , California
In fact, not “All American Made”

The transmission is sourced from Japan, and just under 50 percent of parts not American sourced, or “made” in America.
Just keeping it real...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lensman View Post
You know all trucks are built to much higher standards now that in the past because of competition, so any one you pick will be perfectly fine.
However please take time to consider the NISSAN TITAN XD 5.O CUMMINS DIESEL.
Also available in GAS VERSION.
5 year/ 100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. No one else seems willing to back their truck as long.

All American made.
Designed in California
Engineered in Michigan
Tested in Arizona
Built in Mississippi
Powered in Indiana and Tennessee
3/4 ton Pick up
555 torque
6 speed Aisian transmission

2080 payload
12,300 pound tow
Every convenience and option know to man.
What I like the most is the Zero Gravity seats. I can drive all day without fatigue.

Library quite.
I drive the XD Gas version with the 7 speed transmission. More than adequate for my 23ft. Safari. It is heavy and will be the perfect truck for any Airstream.

Built with commercial grade components, fit and finish is outstanding
HHPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 09:48 AM   #93
1 Rivet Member

Dike , IA
Quote:
Congrats, you will love the 6.2 pulling your trailer. Ruby red was my first choice but the deal was too good on the black, which is also classy.

Now this is the part of the thread no one reads but will continue to post which truck to get and it needs to be diesel!
ISUboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 06:18 PM   #94
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Frederick , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by nryn View Post
Congratulations on the new truck. I like the ventilated seats too.
My wife especially loves the heated and cooled seats on our F150. I call it the menopause option :-)
DewTheDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 10:57 PM   #95
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Does the new Ford 150/250 series have the trailer tire pressure monitors reading out in the cab with integrated sensors a la GM?
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 06:10 AM   #96
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
The Super Duty has a TPMS option for trailers. You have to buy a 600 buck camera package, plus a 400 buck TPMS kit. Add another 100 to 200 if you want a trailer camera.....I installed the TPMS/CAM system on my trailer yesterday.
CRH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 03:13 PM   #97
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
laguna beach , California
F350 Diesel all day, every dayClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1361.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	356.5 KB
ID:	351575
sparkymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 06:02 PM   #98
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Nice truck. My next truck is either an F250 gas or a RAM 2500 gas. The F250 is coming out with a 10 speed transmission in 2020. Also coming out with the really big 7.3L engine. Not sure I’ll go that 7.3L route. That has to be a real gas guzzler. But wondering if the F250 10 speed will help on gas mileage when not pulling.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 06:45 PM   #99
Rivet Master

1977 31' Excella 500
West Sacramento , California
I’m waiting for the new Ford gas engine.
4RXLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 08:42 AM   #100
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4RXLA View Post
I’m waiting for the new Ford gas engine.
Hi

Ahhhh, but do you want to buy one the first year they are out?

Not a knock, but indeed a question I've been thinking over.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote